• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Wait, is zair when you are about to hit the ground and you press Z at the right time which makes your character roll on the ground instead of hitting the ground?
The rest about Uair, dair, fair, bair, and nair is a lot of help and thank you... and i have checked out all of the terms. i dont get some of them, but ill manage.

Also, Isnt B-Bouncing like Ness's Up+B move? And would Ganondorf's Neutral B move be considered a B-Reversal if he was once standing to the right of the stage when he started his neutral B move and then somehow turned to the left of the stage before releasing the attack?

Also what type of attack would be considered a meteor Smash?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wait, is zair when you are about to hit the ground and you press Z at the right time which makes your character roll on the ground instead of hitting the ground?
Nope. That's called a "tech" or "ukemi" (the japanese term). That's an important thing to get good at, so practice :)

But Zair is just..... well take Toon Link, jump in the air, and hit Z. He shoots out his hook-shot. You can use it as an attack -- it will hit people for damage -- but you can also use it to latch onto the ledge, like if you're just a little past the bottom edge of a main platform of the stage (recovery).

And on the ground the same input (Z, or "Grab" button, or just "Shield + Attack" together) does a Grab: it's an attack that can get people right out of their shield... which is very useful.

Also, Isnt B-Bouncing like Ness's Up+B move? And would Ganondorf's Neutral B move be considered a B-Reversal if he was once standing to the right of the stage when he started his neutral B move and then somehow turned to the left of the stage before releasing the attack?
Ness' up-B is not a b-bouncing anything. B-bouncing is sort of a weird term. Instead first just figure out B-reversals: Use a B move like Squirtle's up-B and just after you press it, tap the control-stick backwards. Squirtle will switch directions with the up-B. Same goes for Falcon Punch, Bowser's Fire, etc. Most B moves can be reversed. Some (like Bowser's fire) cause a noticeable shift in his direction when you reverse it while he's in the air. B-bouncing has to do with this.

Also what type of attack would be considered a meteor Smash?
A meteor smash is when a move sends you straight downwards. Mario's Fair is a good example; if you're in the air and Mario's Fair lands a clean hit on you, you'll be sent straight down. There are quite a few moves that have this property. The "pitfall" item does it too (if you're hit with it while you're in the air).

So Wouldnt Toon Link's Dair attack be a metor smash if applied with the correct amount of momentum or force?
And thank you for all the infromation. I already mastered teching. I also caught myself up with the terms.

But there is one question that still lays unanswered for me: Would Ganondorf's neutral B move be considered a B-Reversal if you were once facing right, once you hit B and jab the conrol stick the opposite dirrection (in this case left) he turns around then does his neutral B attack. Ill try to Create a diagram below of what i mean:

<<-------0------->

The 0 represents gannondorf, the arrow with one > at the end represents the direction he was facing. And the arrow with two >s At the end represents where he released is Neutral B move. The underline represents the ground.

One last question: I have been trying to locate a tournament ground closest to Pittsburg,where could i Find That type of infromation?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So is there a way to zair from the ledge without sweetspotting the ledge and using it as a ledge attack instead?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've seen it done by Xyro with Samus, other than that dunno.

it was a ledge hop zair if that's what you wanted to know.(like ledge hop aerials just zair)

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
what if you were holding the ledge, pushed down to drop then jumped above the ledge and used Zair?
would the zair regrab the ledge even though you're above it?

what if you were holding the ledge, pushed down to drop then jumped above the ledge and used Zair?
It's more effective to press back, that is press away from the stage on the control stick, and then press Z. You'd regrab the ledge instantly and would have no fear of using your second jump at the wrong moment and losing it or gettinghogged by the opponent before you could relatch.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
So is there a way to zair from the ledge without sweetspotting the ledge and using it as a ledge attack instead?
Yes. Check the Samus boards. Samus mains have been doing it for a long time.

So Wouldnt Toon Link's Dair attack be a metor smash if applied with the correct amount of momentum or force?
And thank you for all the infromation. I already mastered teching. I also caught myself up with the terms.
Yes. Just hit with the beginning few frames of the attack, and it counts as a meteor smash.

But there is one question that still lays unanswered for me: Would Ganondorf's neutral B move be considered a B-Reversal if you were once facing right, once you hit B and jab the conrol stick the opposite dirrection (in this case left) he turns around then does his neutral B attack. Ill try to Create a diagram below of what i mean:
Yes and no. In a way, yes, that's usually how B-reversals are performed. On the other hand, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon's Neutral Specials behave much, much more differently than most specials when it comes to B-reversals.

Notice how Lucario turns around and keeps his momentum after starting aura sphere at this point? Ken does it alot in this set.

One last question: I have been trying to locate a tournament ground closest to Pittsburg,where could i Find That type of infromation?[/QUOTE]
Try asking someone around your area, or checking your regional board.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
An easy way to do this is to drop down, jump and then airdodge through the ledge and cancel your ad with a zair. It shouldn't sweetspot the ledge.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I want to gain knowledge on jab/projectile/tilt locks and force get-up and stuff of that nature where should I start?

infomon

Smash Scientist
How do I force a ground release or an air release? Pummel timing?
eck, the rules for this are tricky, search around for some thread(s) that discuss it.

iirc, it's something like this:
- It depends on the height difference between the characters, and how they're held during the grab.
- If the grabbee's feet are touching the ground, then they will ground-break, unless the grab is broken because they hit the Jump button (mashing any button reduces the time you'll spend in the grab, but if you actually break the grab with a jump button then you have a higher propensity to air-release)

hmmmm there's more to it but I forget (like maybe if you're in the middle of a pummel then you won't air-release, or smthg), also any of the above might be wrong. sorry, good luck finding the info you seek, I know it's around.

Jane

Smash Hero
that reminds me of a question i have.

DOES PUMMELING AFFECT HOW FAST SOMEONE BREAKS OUT OF A GRAB?

like, would my opponent be held longer if i DIDNT pummel? or should i always try to get my moneysworth?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
that reminds me of a question i have.

DOES PUMMELING AFFECT HOW FAST SOMEONE BREAKS OUT OF A GRAB?

like, would my opponent be held longer if i DIDNT pummel? or should i always try to get my moneysworth?
Trick question :
pummeling adds some frames (of hitlag) for the opponent to mash out.
So technically they do not break out faster if you pummel but they do have a better chance to break out before you throw them.
Conclusion : if you want to throw your opponent watch for your pummels, if you're going for the grab release then you can pummel as much as you want.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Can you B-Reversal while standing or walking on the ground? I suppose there would be no reason why not, but I don't have my Wii to test for myself so...
Yeah. Try it with Ike's Eruption for a noticeable momentum shift.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I've seen it done by Xyro with Samus, other than that dunno.

it was a ledge hop zair if that's what you wanted to know.(like ledge hop aerials just zair)
An easy way to do this is to drop down, jump and then airdodge through the ledge and cancel your ad with a zair. It shouldn't sweetspot the ledge.
THIS is how you do it. I give MANY examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpMevs6a9Y

Laem

Smash Champion
about the grounded b reversals: what is the specific input for a side b reversal compared to that of the neutral b reversal?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
about the grounded b reversals: what is the specific input for a side b reversal compared to that of the neutral b reversal?
Same as with the regular

If you wanna do a dashing sideB b-reverse backwards, just SideB then immediately tap backwards.

I don't remember how to do it while still facing forwards, but doing so is basically just a grounded wavebounce...

Laem

Smash Champion
whereas dashing neutral b reversal would be release control stick > B > reverse control stick
that'd make sense i suppose

Luigi player

Smash Master
neutral B: 1. B 2. turn around
side B: 1. hold right/left and press B 2. press the other direction

loki15

Smash Cadet
Just looking for a little advice here. Which characters can be played effectively, aggressively? I know it's personal taste/ player skill/ match-ups but, just in general, which characters cfunction well through an aggressive playstyle at a high level of play?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
MK is the best aggressive character.

The best bet for being aggressive is having good mobility whether it be ground, air, or both and little lag to weave in and out. Range can replace mobility but mobility is usually better. At highest levels is usually best to be passive/semi-aggressive with those types of characters. MK is best for his speed and range (makes up for air mobility)

other characters aren't really looked at to be aggressive because they are usually comparing to MK and when battling MK you can't be aggressive like him :S and even MK can't be pure aggressive because of how brawl is.

Pikachu plays semi-aggressive i can say, but i don't know any others.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Just looking for a little advice here. Which characters can be played effectively, aggressively? I know it's personal taste/ player skill/ match-ups but, just in general, which characters cfunction well through an aggressive playstyle at a high level of play?
Meta Knight, mostly, but sometimes he's forced to camp.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
when your opponent grabs you, what buttons should you be mashing to get out? I've been mashing the analog stick, jump and A button, and the L and R buttons (because those fingers have nothing better to do), but it doesn't seem to be very effective. I've heard the B (special) button isn't very good for mashing. Anyone?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
all buttons have an equal input. C-stick (smash only) diagonal counts as two inputs. In order for the c-stick to reset it has to go back to the middle so the most prefered method is moving it in a 180 degree motion. So that's your answer

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
all buttons have an equal input. C-stick (smash only) diagonal counts as two inputs. In order for the c-stick to reset it has to go back to the middle so the most prefered method is moving it in a 180 degree motion. So that's your answer
so aside from the c-stick, the more buttons/inputs the better? so theoretically, you should be trying to mash as many buttons as possible right?

Luxor

Smash Champion
so aside from the c-stick, the more buttons/inputs the better? so theoretically, you should be trying to mash as many buttons as possible right?
You don't have to mash different buttons, pressing one really fast works fine. Rotating the analog stick counts as a new input at every notch iirc, so you'll want to do that with one thumb and mash with the other. You can mash L and R with your index fingers if it won't slow you down, but it can also just get in the way.

V

Smash Ace
I have a question related to which character(s) fit the description of what I'm looking for so I can get a set main.

I'm looking for a character in either A or B tier that doesn't take a lot of tech skill but is more oriented on playing smart. I don't have a wii so I can't practise but I play a lot with friends and I need a character that I can just play smart with and have a good chance at winning. NO META KNIGHT!!!

Jane

Smash Hero
every character requies that you play smart. its all about finding the character you feel the most comfortable. the one which fits your style. you have to look at a character's pros and cons, and decide on that too

so basically, you have to spend some time playing all of them (A and B that is)

V

Smash Ace
every character requies that you play smart. its all about finding the character you feel the most comfortable. the one which fits your style. you have to look at a character's pros and cons, and decide on that too

so basically, you have to spend some time playing all of them (A and B that is)
In your opinion between Snake, Marth, Wario, Lucario, and Kirby, rank in order who requires the most work to least work.

Gracias

Top Bottom