• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Jane

Smash Hero
who do you think takes less work to play than marth out of snake, wario, lucario and kirby? and reasons?

my reason for saying marth is the easiest is because, all you have to do is space fairs, fsmashes, tilts, and sideBs.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
who do you think takes less work to play than marth out of snake, wario, lucario and kirby? and reasons?

my reason for saying marth is the easiest is because, all you have to do is space fairs, fsmashes, tilts, and sideBs.
All you do as Snake is throw grenades and up tilt.

All you do as Wario is down air and fart.

All you do as Kirby is grab combos and back air.

All you do as Lucario is F Smash and Aura Sphere.

I think I just cracked half the metagame.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
There is far more depth to every single one of those characters than simply saying "all you do is x, y, and z".

The only character that can seriously apply to is perhaps DDD, because all you do is pretty much F tilt, grab, back air, and Up tilt. Even then, you're just gonna get tornado'd by a MK.

TheMike

Smash Lord
All you do as Snake is throw grenades and up tilt.

All you do as Wario is down air and fart.

All you do as Kirby is grab combos and back air.

All you do as Lucario is F Smash and Aura Sphere.

I think I just cracked half the metagame.
You forgot Snake's Ftilt, DACUS, C4 and N/B/Uair. You need to be really skillful with the grenades, too. You forgot Wario's D/Fthrow, Nair, Uair, Air/Spotdodge, Bair, Bite and Fsmash. You forgot Kirby's Utilt, D/F/Uair and Fsmash. You forgot Lucario's Uthow, Utilt and F/U/B/Dair.

I don't think you cracked half of the metagame.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
You forgot Snake's Ftilt, DACUS, C4 and N/B/Uair. You need to be really skillful with the grenades, too. You forgot Wario's D/Fthrow, Nair, Uair, Air/Spotdodge, Bair, Bite and Fsmash. You forgot Kirby's Utilt, D/F/Uair and Fsmash. You forgot Lucario's Uthow, Utilt and F/U/B/Dair.

I don't think you cracked half of the metagame.
I think you missed the entire purpose of my post, and fail to recognize sarcasm.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
I have a quick question on momentum cancelling. Do you use the move that has the least overall duration or the more that has the quickest hit-box?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Least overall duration for horizontal momentum cancelling so that you can jump faster.

But for vertical... IIRC it doesn't matter, just that you do an aerial and fast fall. You don't want to jump with vertical, anyways.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Least overall duration for horizontal momentum cancelling so that you can jump faster.

But for vertical... IIRC it doesn't matter, just that you do an aerial and fast fall. You don't want to jump with vertical, anyways.
Welll, some characters have a special move that slows/stops their vertical momentum. So in this case you would still want your quickest-ending aerial, fastfall it on frame 1, and as soon as it's done you use your special. The "braking" specials are obvious examples here (G&W's bucket, etc.)

loki15

Smash Cadet
Bucket, DK's upb, yoshi's side b

Those are the few I've seen, at least the one's that work at all percentages. Although yoshi's leaves him in a helpless state.

Some just slow down momentum/ don't necessarily completely stop you. Wario's bike is a pretty good example.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually, iirc Wario's bike is one of the few others that does do a braking. The thing is, it has some start-up time before the brake happens. Same goes for Sonic's down-B, and there might be others as well. G&W's bucket, DK's up-B, and yoshi's eggroll are the instant-brake ones.

I use the term "brake" (a-la bucket brake) to mean that one's velocity is set to an absolute value. Most moves "fight against" knockback when they're used after you're hit (possibly to your detriment because they take away your fallspeed's natural friendly momentum, lol), but when a brake happens, your momentum instantly changes and is all your own (so it can't kill you).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
First vid seems like a fsmash done out of a foxtrot.

Second vid it's "simply" a dashdance cancelled into a walk.
Totally impossible to do on purpose because it needs frame perfect timing.

Laem

Smash Champion
Its right after the fsmash telu
And it does look a hell loot like stickywalk lol

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No in the 1st vid I think he is talking about when he foxtrotted but was still in some type of dashing animation then turned around.

EDIT: Laem ninja'd me

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ive been meaning to ask, i know that each region's playstyle (USA, Japan, Europe) has a different playstyle/metagame/etc

Whats the styles for each respective region (USA, japan, europe)?

i've noticed from European vids that they play more aggresive, and from how tense ive seen the matches get, i think id much rather play over there :D

Laem

Smash Champion
never seen that thread. Madness. But educating.

I've got some questions about buffering:
How do you buffer a dtilt or ftilt?
What went wrong if instead of a grab you buffer a (power)shield?

Also random question i just thought of:
If some1 breaks his shield while on a platform, g&w can use upair to lift him up in the air, and can continue to do this for as long as he pleases without the other character getting out of brokenshieldstun
Would this be considered as stalling, if used to time out the clock?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Kishin I guess you just discovered a new way to X slow run :3

Laem of you want to buffer a Ftilt you have to hold the direction, press A and let go the direction.
If you jab you didn't press A long enough, if you walk you didn't let go forward soon enough.
Same thing for Dtilt except you mustn't press down completely.

If you shield instead of grabbing it's because you didn't let go the grab button soon enough, or you pressed it too late.

And yes this should be considered as stalling because GW is deliberately avoiding the fight. But lmfao if that actually happens.

Kunx990

Smash Apprentice
It's not a John. By saying that, you're acknowledging a key fact that promotes the quality of the competition, which the opposite function of a john.
It promotes the quality of your competition, which is low, ergo john.

Rekeah

Smash Apprentice
saying "you're too good" is the same as saying "there's a big discrepancy in our skill levels" which is the same as saying "one of us won" "One of us won" is NOT a john!!!!!!!

is this true? i need somebody else to help me here other than greave and kunx.

Laem

Smash Champion
"there's a big discrepancy in our skill levels" which is the same as saying "one of us won"
the above is false.

A John is something bad on your part
e.g my shoe is too tight
e.g the tv looks funny (>imo<)
e.g I'm a white falco mainer

therefore:
You're too good
you're ****ing amazing
Oh my god you ****

are not johns.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
on the one hand, it could mean, "I admit defeat because you are superior to me." Which is not a john.

On the other hand, it could mean, "Psh, if I was better at this game, I would have totally stomped you" Which is very much a john.

Basically, its not really a john, but somebody who wishes to troll you can easily call it one in an effort to get under your skin.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ3zNAGYZkM

At 1:05 the CPU does something odd and mindgames the crap out of me.
That was crazy.

CPUs do some ridiculous stuff some times.

One time I was playing a CPU MK with my scrubby *** Falco, and he was walking towards me and I thought he was gonna Ftilt, so I shielded while he was barely out of range, then he was still doing the walking animation, but wasn't moving towards me. Like he was walking in place.

Then right after I let go of my shield, he was still doing the walking animation, but then moved towards me and Ftilted me........

It was wierd, and I wish I could figure out how it happened.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
never seen that thread. Madness. But educating.

I've got some questions about buffering:
How do you buffer a dtilt or ftilt?
What went wrong if instead of a grab you buffer a (power)shield?
1. Same way as a normal tilt. Tilt the stick.
2. You held the Z button too long. Just flick it to buffer a grab, don't hold it. Holding the z button too long buffers a shield instead of a grab.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
can you type without looking at the keyboard efficiantly? try doing that super fast for a couple weeks and play the flute, that'll help your hand eye coordination
trufax guys

Top Bottom