• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Set a bob-omb on the ledge

Up B into it. :x

Or just go offstage with a bomb.

That's how I learned it, anyways.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Make a stage in stage builder with a bunch of spikes. Practice teching the ceiling, walls and floors/spikes.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I don't think spikes are the best way to go. Spikes have set knockback, very low set knockback, so a bomb would be better to emulate an attack like a sweetspotted bair offstage...

BSP

Smash Legend
Does rolling trigger invincibility on frame 1, or does it take more frames for roll invincibility to start?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as far as i remember, a roll from a seccessful tech starts on frame 1.

from a nuetral position, different characters have different frame rates on their back and forward roll i think.

I know back wards rolling gives you invincibility on frame one, but I think forward rolling doesnt give it until like frame 3 or something, same for spotdodging.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
That was a myth brought up in early 08 that was caused by just plain bad testing.

Techrolls usually have the same data forwards and backwards, although the animation is generally different for both ways. Invincibility for everyone's tech rolls as far as I can remember start on frame 1.

Oh, for regular rolls? No. Almost everyone's rolls have invincibility starting on frame 4.

You can find the specifics here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225510

Scabe

Successful Businessman
What are some things to look out for when your reading your opponent?

e.g.
Like how they land
What they do after shielding

Laem

Smash Champion
about techrolls, im pretty sure i got hit by a ZSS dsmash (after getting upB'd) at like 1/3rd of the distance rolled(which is gay and broken)
is this even possible according to whoevers frame data?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
about techrolls, im pretty sure i got hit by a ZSS dsmash (after getting upB'd) at like 1/3rd of the distance rolled(which is gay and broken)
is this even possible according to whoevers frame data?
Ground Techroll
Invincibility: 1-20
Ends: 40

That, for example, is the data on Yoshi's techroll. Techrolls are kinda awful in terms of invincibility.

Lol I couldn't find the data for any other character (I quit looking after having checked like, half the roster).

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I have a really, really important question which may change the whole metagame upside down...!

What does Snake shout when he makes the C4 explode? I don't know about anyone else but it sounds like "merde" for me which means sh*t in French :D

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Wow thanks. :bee:

Anyone know of a good way to practice teching? Is there any threads out there that help with that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTnXpwtI2JI [jump to 6:02]

bumpers, turn them on high. Mess around with a cpu, run into the bumper when you reach different % and DI and tech onto the stage. Thanks to the bumper being stationary after you place it you can repeat doing this several times.

for pshielding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXACy-cCSc

i do it alot in dis vid, simply hit shield before the hitbox hits your characters body. If done correctly you'll receive no knockback while in shield and the character will remain stationary. I also tech alot in dis vid. Again just airdodge just before hitting the ground and you can either; 1. tech in place, 2. roll tech left[input left on analog after you start teching], 3. roll tech right[input right on analog after you start teching]. In dis vid i also choose not to tech once....and mind gamed my opponent into approaching me. I've also not tech'ed and my opponent, approached, then tried to followup with a jab lock, but i did my get up attack and hit him instead using IF to stop him from locking me.

So switching it up is essential

What are some things to look out for when your reading your opponent?

e.g.
Like how they land
What they do after shielding
these things are very character dependent. What character in question do you have in mind, in regards to how 2 read your opponent

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Usually if a character had the time to pull out an fsmash against the tornado they would just break the tornado outright.

Luxor

Smash Champion
True, but it could still be useful if the "smash charge" state begins frame one or near it. If it doesn't begin until the hitbox would normally be out, charging a smash wouldn't do much.

Does anybody have any quantitative data on this? I'm pretty curious now.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No smash charge in the game begins on frame 1 because of the way smash attacks are scripted.* A few begin on frame 2, notably MK's dsmash and I think Sheik's dsmash.

* smash attacks are scripted in 3 parts: The startup, the charging animation, and then the actual attack and cooldown. Since the startup cannot be skipped, every smash has to have at least one extra frame before the charging animation.

Luxor

Smash Champion
When I was testing trying it out it seemed like it worked while the hitbox was out.
Nice to know that you don't have to wait until the hitbox would normally come out for the smash charge state to begin, though. Almost like a proof of concept. Where did you get that data anyway?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Do characters have different amounts of ledge invincibility?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No, everyone but pikachu and tethers has 46 frames.

However, everyone gets exactly 20 frames of extra invincibility from the soonest possible frame they can ledgedrop.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its not 'extra' invincibility, persay, its just letting go of the ledge 20 frames before the normal 46 frames runs out.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I think someone made some testings a long time ago, and it appeared it was related to fall speed (like fastfallers are more likely to get pwned). Not sure if the testing was done correctly though, and I personnally think everyone can escape it by spamming jump.

what's a good way to practice smash DI ?
1-smartbombs in training mode
2-Pika/Rob's Dsmash
3-Fox/Sheik's tilt lock
4-Falco's GC2spike.

Then you're ok.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just noticed something about the being pushed off a platform thing.

when I play sans ike I sometimes try to do this, and push him off a platform. usually when I do this he instantly back airs me.

I think that if you get pushed off a platform and your FACING the end of the platform you were on, you can react instantly, but if your back is to the edge and you get pushed off, it puts you in some kind of weird rapeable hitstun.

Kind of like in real life, if you trip facing forward you see where you are going and can thus regain your balence, but if you fall backwards into a gap, youre more likely for injury because you cant really react to falling backwards, if that makes sence.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What EXACTLY does Lucario gain from Aura in the higher percents?

His attacks do more knockback? Damage? They have more range?

All of the above?

Top Bottom