• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
How does knockback scaling work with charging smashes? Does the knockback only increase because the damage increases? Or does charging it change the KBG/BKB?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Charge Time To Hit: 34
Charge Time For 12%: 34
Charge Time For 13%: 38
Charge Time For 14%: 42
Charge Time For 15%: 45
Charge Time For 16%: 49
Charge Time For 17%: 53
Charge Time For 18%: 57

There's a total of 8 Charge Times to Consider

If you take the 16% of the one he requested, it's more like 3/4. His fault for the 2/3 portion :awesome:
Or if you take out the first Charge time, then it would be 2/3 ish. The 2/3 would be between the 15 and 16% and since most people round up on numbers, I rounded it up to 16%
Well I just counted how many times Jiggs rolls before releasing.
1 roll = 1/3 = first hit (12%)
2 rolls = 2/3 = 16% hit
3 rolls = fully charged (just before you hear "Jiggly !") = 18%

So yeah it's just because of my awesome transcription skills.

Thanks for the numbers btw.
Frame 49 seems horribly slow, I guess it's the burst range that makes up for it, or maybe it's just that people expect it to take way longer than that to charge. Idk, but I'm gonna keep abusing it.

Ps : 16% is the first hit that goes full speed right ?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How does knockback scaling work with charging smashes? Does the knockback only increase because the damage increases? Or does charging it change the KBG/BKB?
It increases knockback. You can kill with a full Ike f-smash way earlier than a normal one.

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Try it yourself. Ikes f smash does like 21% uncharged and like 28 charged.

If the charged hits at 32 % and kills at 60, the uncharged isnt going to kill at 39% even though your at 60 after both.

Let me know if thats not what youre asking though

SoulPech

Smash Master
Well I just counted how many times Jiggs rolls before releasing.
1 roll = 1/3 = first hit (12%)
2 rolls = 2/3 = 16% hit
3 rolls = fully charged (just before you hear "Jiggly !") = 18%

So yeah it's just because of my awesome transcription skills.

Thanks for the numbers btw.
Frame 49 seems horribly slow, I guess it's the burst range that makes up for it, or maybe it's just that people expect it to take way longer than that to charge. Idk, but I'm gonna keep abusing it.

Ps : 16% is the first hit that goes full speed right ?
I don't remember 100%, but I think it is. I rarely use the move, so I don't know, lol. I will test it when I get home :)

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
Question: Who are the top 3 combo/pressure type characters in brawl?

I'm guessing it goes MK >Diddy>Pikachu?
Not sure. So what is your opinion on it?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Combos and pressure are 2 different things.
For pressure, I'd go with what Pikabunz said.
For combos, I'd probably say ZSS Lucario and Sheik

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Is it true that if you PS the first hit of nado and then (without dropping shield) shield the rest of the hits, that you take significantly less shield damage?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What about the powershield -> jab against tornado? I've heard about that and it sounds interesting.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Judging by the video it seems to work, but I've also been given information (ie tornado hits every 4 frames and produces no hitlag for MK) that would lead me to believe that some of those wouldn't actually work.

C.J.

Smash Master
I remember the thread about that. I think it has something to do with the freshness of the nado and whether or not the nado was grounded or aerial.

I'm way too lazy to try to find the thread though. You're better off shielding->spotdodge the end->hard punish anyway imo.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I remember malcolm telling me way back in the day that powershielding actually granted you a very small amount of invincibility.

Unfortunately I'm missing even the most basic things to get even a single fight online. I noticed this place had a lot of activity, and being sort of a ranking place I figured you guys may be interested.

I've been trying to one up the obvious difference there will be between my opponents and me(however many years it takes to finally be in a f----g tournament OTL) using intense training.

Here's a battle I had a day or two ago:

Setting: 150% damage handicap Ness(me) vs Lvl 9 Fox non-obstacle Flat custom stage no items three lives no time limit.

Result: Win(me) with three lives left in under three minutes, less than 200% damage, 52% hit percentage.

I haven't tried it with others yet but Ness isn't my best character, I also have the video saved if needed. I just want to know if it's the norm or if I'm doing anything worth talking about. I haven't been in touch with Brawl players for years but I love Brawl and I want to be the best at it.

P.S. My computers are the kind that actually put up a masterful challenge and know what they're doing(as if they're pissed or something), not the ones that stand around like idiots.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Sorry to break it to you, but telling us about a match between you and a computer doesn't help at all. I mean, even low-level tournament regulars can destroy lvl 9 computers, so telling us that you can do that doesn't let us know where you are on the spectrum of competitive brawl skill.

Telling us that you can't beat them/have a good deal of difficulty with them, however, will let us know that you're very bad. But you did well apparently.

Uh, your best bet would be to show us a replay of you playing another person. Wifi, your little brother, w/e.
(someone else that actually plays the game btw, not your pet dog or your father that has never touched the game in his life)

Computers won't help us.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I remember malcolm telling me way back in the day that powershielding actually granted you a very small amount of invincibility.
First time I hear about that lol. It might be mistaken with the fact that if you shield a hitbox you become invincible to it, and since PSing gives you no shieldstun nor shield drop lag you can move freely when the hitbox is still out.

Buffering out of ps can make things look really ********, like that one time where as Falco I punished Sheik's Ftilt with Fsmash.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Same with every move in the game that causes hitlag for the user (ie non-projectiles) upon hitting the opponent.
Unless powershielding doesn't actually eliminate shield hitlag.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
PSing eliminates all shieldstun?!
There's still shield hitlag though..right?
If you powershield a zelda lightning kick, you dont get hitlag but she does

PS'ing doesn't eliminate shieldstun or hitlag. All it does is eliminate shield drop lag.

Powershielding Zelda's kicks still gives you some hitlag, but not as much as her. This is not because of powershielding though, the same thing happens with normal shielding.

C.J.

Smash Master
^ this is what I've always thought. I remember seeing a video, maybe by kprime idr, with ISSDI proving hitlag on PS. I also recall someone increasing just the damage on Ganon's warlock punch to prove shield stun on PS.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
PS'ing doesn't eliminate shieldstun or hitlag. All it does is eliminate shield drop lag.
Didn't mean to say it eliminates shield drop lag, because it doesn't do that exactly. There are still some things you can't do during shield drop lag even after a power shield.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So what exactly does powershielding do?
Does it reduce shield stun/shield hitlag? Does it reduce shield drop lag?
I remember hearing somewhere that for standard shielding (aside from Yoshi cause he sucks) shield drop is 7 frames, and that with PSing it's the same but frames 3-7 are IASA frames. Is that true?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It doesn't reduced or eliminate anything except shield push and shield damage. I dunno about that last part. I know you're given more options during shield drop lag than normal. You can pretty much do everything except anything that involves walking or running.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
What do you mean 'more options than normal'? I thought you couldn't do anything during normal shield drop lag aside from using those 7 frames as a buffer window (or using the last 10 frames of the 17 frames of shield drop lag if you're Yoshi)

If you were to have more options than that, wouldn't that mean the shield drop frames are interruptible?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can jump during normal shield drop lag.

wouldn't that mean the shield drop frames are interruptible?
I guess that would be the best way to put it. You still can't walk or run during it though.

Top Bottom