• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

SpookyGhost

Smash Cadet
I'm confused if this is against the rules or not, but I was wondering if I could ask about the soft-mod process...

Edit:
I was also wondering, computers are basically...******** when playing Brawl+, right? The enjoyment of Brawl+ comes from playing other, actual, living people, right?

SpookyGhost

Smash Cadet
Serious...?
I thought that they were too easy to combo and things. They still airdodge as soon as possible, right?

SpookyGhost

Smash Cadet
Sorry for asking the same thing over and over again, but what you guys are saying is that one could still have fun by playing computers in Brawl+?!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Serious...?
I thought that they were too easy to combo and things. They still airdodge as soon as possible, right?
>_> lol...

Sorry for asking the same thing over and over again, but what you guys are saying is that one could still have fun by playing computers in Brawl+?!
I can't even begin to tell you all the ridiculous things NPCs do when they're set to level 9.

Seriously. Some of the stuff they do is amazing, and other times...>_> I had a Captain Falcon run off the ledge and do a reverse Falcon Punch. I'll admit that I almost got hit by it too, fricken' mindgames.

Either way, its loads of fun. Level 9 Peach ***** HARD.
-DD

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I can't even begin to tell you all the ridiculous things NPCs do when they're set to level 9.

Seriously. Some of the stuff they do is amazing, and other times...>_> I had a Captain Falcon run off the ledge and do a reverse Falcon Punch. I'll admit that I almost got hit by it too, fricken' mindgames.

-DD
I've always thought that luigi was better than peach in vBrawl, and he's been called a "combo monster" in brawl+. I can't wait to fight the lvl9 (or level 15 if I get that hack) luigi of brawl+ ^_^

In the CPU's don't play games, a G&W dashed away to avoid an attack, turned around and dashcanceled a jab. That was crazy XD

cman

Smash Ace
Yea, it's almost as if the developers started with melee physics when they were designing the cpus, the switched the game to be more floaty and slow later. The cpus are good.

Sr. P & R

Smash Apprentice
I was playing a match against a lv. 9 Ness using G&W and he got the first hit...next thing I knew I had about 60% damage and there was nothing I could have done about it. Also, I think Luigi has done even worse damage.:dizzy:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
For the .txt files (latest Brawl+ code), when I copy/paste it to a .txt document, it always gets messed up and I can never do the 256 line breaker thing (since I want to play with textures while playing Brawl+).

Anyone know of that problem? Or is there a way to stop the codes from getting messed up?

storm92

Smash Ace
CPUs are beast in B+, it's actually fun to play them.

Especially as they learn, my Falco CPUs use the momentum to do retreating and approach SHDLs all the time .______.

Menergy125

Smash Cadet
>_> lol...

-DD
that same thing happened to me, except i actually got hit by the ****ing guy. level 9 b+ cpus are warriors.

metroid1117

Smash Master
What's the most recent codeset? The only codeset I can find is in this thread, and that's 3.3. I've seen version 4.0 being used in some of the videos in the video thread, but I can't find it around; if 4.0 is more recent than 3.3, where is it?

Almas

Smash Lord
The 4.0 codeset can be found on the Brawl+ IRC. It frequently changes, although it's beginning to settle down now. We should be releasing it on Smashboards soon, although we're trying to decide how best to present it (e.g. snapshots, waiting for a newer GeckoOS).

Wumbo

Smash Rookie
Can anyone explain WHY are CPUs so good in brawl+
<------------------ Disregard this noob if this post is just flat out wrong.

I think its evidence that Brawl while in development was very close to brawl+

My guess is that the developers had a less floaty, faster, higher hitstun game in mind while programming the CPU's and making the characters

That is the only explanation i have for why the characters lack depth in vBrawl and why the CPU's are ******** in vBrawl, and why vBrawl is stupidly imbalanced. I would guess that massive changes were done to the game mechanics hastily before the release of the game.

Hell if you look at the into movie you notice the gravity and hitstun seems different (noticably when the ivysaur upthrows to bullet seed combo) (Maybe im just going crazy)

This is just a guess...

If we could somehow prove it we could give strong evidence that Brawl+ is closer to how the game was intended to be played than vBrawl is... winning a lot of those guys who somehow think that is important... rather than which one is fun :p

Edit: even then am i the only one who still thinks CPU's are stupid? I've never had a problem with them >_>.... They are significantly better but i still can get no practice off on them -_-... if only they DI'd

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Actually, you're spot on in that assumption. The EforAll demo was much closer to brawl+ (and melee) than you think. It was still generally floatier than melee (not vbrawl floaty though), but it did have hitstun, shield stun, dash dancing, L-canceling, I think it had no ASL, and even though it had tripping, the trip rate seemed to be lower.

So yeah, brawl+ is actually closer to the original beta test of brawl, which got a lot of positive feedback from competitive players (curse you Sakurai for ruining a perfectly good demo)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think youre wrong.
EDIT:
Was refering to Wumbo

The thing CPU's are extremely good at are tech skill and using the right attack for the situation.

For example, CPU luigi will use nair like crazy the moment you are withing nair range.

In vBrawl, this doesn't matter beacause the CPU's can't follow up a hit with anything else. In Brawl+, the extra hitstun combined with their lack of reaction time (The CPU doesn't need to read DI) means that they can get lucky and string attacks together.

The CPU triggers certain attacks depending on how far you are away from them. For example, go play melee, and hold shield against a falcon near the edge. The CPU will grab, dthrow, you will bounce in front of them.....RIGHT INTO SIDE B RANGE! Then the computer freaks out and side+b's to their death. If you DI towards them sometimes they will jab or ftilt though.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yea, it's almost as if the developers started with melee physics when they were designing the cpus, the switched the game to be more floaty and slow later. The cpus are good.
Correct!

^^Actually, you're spot on in that assumption. The EforAll demo was much closer to brawl+ (and melee) than you think. It was still generally floatier than melee (not vbrawl floaty though), but it did have hitstun, shield stun, dash dancing, L-canceling, I think it had no ASL, and even though it had tripping, the trip rate seemed to be lower.

So yeah, brawl+ is actually closer to the original beta test of brawl, which got a lot of positive feedback from competitive players (curse you Sakurai for ruining a perfectly good demo)
Yes, and this is why I love Brawl+ so much, its like the full version of the EForAll Demo. It is the Brawl I was EXPECTING to buy.
:D Much love.

In vBrawl, this doesn't matter beacause the CPU's can't follow up a hit with anything else. In Brawl+, the extra hitstun combined with their lack of reaction time (The CPU doesn't need to read DI) means that they can get lucky and string attacks together.
Yea, but they TRY to combo you, which is impossible usually, and is evidence that the AI was programmed for different physics, similar to Melee/Brawl+.

And their other actions, like immediately air-dodging, is evidence that the AI is used to having hits followed up by another hit that they try to dodge instantly. Either that or Momentum Canceling was once possible with Air Dodges.
-DD

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Sooner or later it will apear that Almas (In case he started tthe project, I don't know who did :ohwell:) is Sakurai's brother and he tries to take revenge on him by creating brawl+ to show him that he's better than him.

Almas

Smash Lord
Oh lawd I didn't start this project. I believe it started with SamuraiPanda very soon after Brawl's release, with the intent of creating Melee 2.0 (adding in Wavedashan' an' L-cancellan'). The project has been molded over time by people like Wind Owl and kupo, and now rests in the hands of the Brawlplusery, while I dance around with a red name pretending that I'm an authority on B+ when really I'm little more than a code monkey and a nagging voice to them ;p.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
So how are Samus (not zero suit) and Jigglypuff in Brawl+? They're my mains. I've barely gotten a chance to try Brawl+ on another Wii and don't have one available right now.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
So how are Samus (not zero suit) and Jigglypuff in Brawl+? They're my mains. I've barely gotten a chance to try Brawl+ on another Wii and can't install it right now.
Samus is awesome. Combos like crazy and isn't so sucky with the projectiles now. Much improved. Jiggs is also improved, and given her "Melee" rest back. I.e., no more gay kill-less flower rests, its hardcore killing flame rests.

Its good stuff.
-DD

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I havent even clicked on the link yet.
But I have to say.... Shame on you for trying to rickroll us.
I was just a desperate last try to have an "april fools"-joke, but it seems that I am concentrated fail this year -.-'

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
I really hope a code to alter hitbox trajectory comes out soon; Rest needs to KO from the sides, not from the top, where it's very likely Jigglypuff will be KO'd first from the Sudden Death bombs (or the stage hazards that may or may not exist, of course).

On-topic: Brawl+ PWNS.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Couldn't find it in this topic, but can replays taken with the infinite replay and added tags codes be played by someone using vanilla Brawl? I want to put those two codes in for regular Brawl tournaments because it will increase the amount of matches being recorded. But not sure if the person ripping the videos will be able to play them.

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
infinite replay, yes; tags don't know if the tags will show (there's a small chance they might because of the way it works) but it will definitely won't desync.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I really hope a code to alter hitbox trajectory comes out soon; Rest needs to KO from the sides, not from the top, where it's very likely Jigglypuff will be KO'd first from the Sudden Death bombs (or the stage hazards that may or may not exist, of course).

On-topic: Brawl+ PWNS.
We already employ such a code, and we did indeed change the trajectory of Rest. But not to the sides. It angles slightly to the right.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't find it in this topic, but can replays taken with the infinite replay and added tags codes be played by someone using vanilla Brawl? I want to put those two codes in for regular Brawl tournaments because it will increase the amount of matches being recorded. But not sure if the person ripping the videos will be able to play them.
I can see tags when I load brawl without codes, but I dunno about people who have never loaded codes. I assume it would still work.

Top Bottom