• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Dacvak

Smash Ace
So, I just found out about this, and it looks pretty awesome so far.

Here's my question: I'm looking to make Brawl as close to Melee as absolutely possible, with all the character balancing. What's the best way for me to do that as of now? I saw the two pre-made Gecko/Ocarina files in the FAQ, but are those current? Or is it better for me to download the cheats individually and edit stuff myself?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord

Here's my question: I'm looking to make Brawl as close to Melee as absolutely possible, with all the character balancing. What's the best way for me to do that as of now? I saw the two pre-made Gecko/Ocarina files in the FAQ, but are those current? Or is it better for me to download the cheats individually and edit stuff myself?
yes those will be sufficient. just test them out.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)

If you really want to make it like Melee there's still quite a few codes that need to come out first. Definitely air momentum, for one. Generally for whatever you want to do, just take one of the sets in the OP and edit them. You can always add more codes to them from the code manager, so just put in Melee AD and a few other things if you want to create Melee 2.0.

GPDP

Smash Ace

While Brawl+ is much closer to Melee right now than vanilla Brawl will ever be, we've still got a long way to go before we can seriously make it feel like Melee. IMO, it's not a desirable goal, as I feel Brawl+ should have its own unique feel, but if we really wanted to, I'm sure it could be done. We'd need quite a few as-of-yet-unmade codes to make that happen, though:

- higher upward gravity
- more powerful jumps (this and gravity would work in conjunction to make faster jumps)
- character-specific shorter short hops
- a fixed MAD/HAD code that introduced landing lag into wavedashes
- running momentum applied to jumps (think Falcon's running jump in Melee)
- more traction
- the ability to JC grabs
- DJC for Ness, Lucas, and Yoshi
- shine canceling
- the ability to fast-fall specials (for Falco's fast-falled lasers)
- a character size mod that scales jumps and doesn't have squeaky voices

Among others.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i really think that recreating melee is unnecessary. the game feels really solid as is, it's just up to us to give it an extra umph and really make brawl+ something unique.

GPDP

Smash Ace
i really think that recreating melee is unnecessary. the game feels really solid as is, it's just up to us to give it an extra umph and really make brawl+ something unique.
Exactly. I'm just saying that it's possible, and it would make for a fun little codeset. But it shouldn't become the basis for a competitive standard.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I really disagree. Brawl is already unique, and a lot of people play it. That being said, a lot of people still play Melee exclusively. I'm not saying that Brawl should have been Melee 2.0, but more people want Melee 2.0 than want a different Brawl.

The people who already love Brawl are the ones who think Brawl+ should be something unique, but I really feel like most of those people will end up sticking with Brawl to begin with. It'd be really, really nice if Brawl+ ended up being entirely like Melee.

I really hope it'll be like that some day.

kupo15

Smash Hero
kupo seriously needs to put my code set on his topic since there are a lot of people who wants their Brawl+ to be "close" to Melee speed.

=/
There are a lot of ppl confused as hell with which one to try or w/e and there are only two up there..

Frogles

Smash Ace
Then label them as mild, medium, extreme or something. I've seen a lot of people on the IRC channel say they liked Muba's best and if people like it, why shouldn't it be up there?

And did you ever think that people are confused because the codes are just thrown up there as "Kupo's set" and "Mookie's set"? People don't know which to try because they don't know what the difference is between the codes. Slapping a slow or fast label on them or writing a description of what those codes will do would help a lot.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Then label them as mild, medium, extreme or something. I've seen a lot of people on the IRC channel say they liked Muba's best and if people like it, why shouldn't it be up there?
Maybe that is true, but at the same time, many have said that its not the ballpark figures as a tourney standard. I'm not about to put up a "just for fun" extreme speed code set...

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I must say I tested it and I like MuBa's better. It makes up for the lack of dashing. I think the slower versions are to simple. With 90% of the characters you can see all of their attacks coming ahead of time. Even with "Mindgames" The slower speed is very simple. "oh look at me dashing...oh whats this I suddenly ran at you out of a dash at 1 mile per hours speed and attacked you" Well that's how it seems. only time it works is A. when I'm so hit stunned I can't move or I drop the controller and you hit me LOL. Nah In all seriousness though I feel that Muba's bring's the excitement and high speed off the scale life or death feeling I felt was lacking from Brawl+ without a wavedash....I feel it should be Thee standard of Brawl+ movement....but that's just my opinion.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
3) I've come to the conclusion that I hate this project and everything it stands for. Although I refuse to test it myself the very thought of selfishly altering a game to make it more enjoyable sickens me as I'm sure it pollutes the intended experience (which is to have fun, but that's besides the point!). Is there anything I can do to stop you guys from playing it?

No.
EPIC WIN <-- thats all i have to say

supersonicridley

Smash Cadet
Is there a code to make it so pokemon trainer's pokemon dont suffer from there weaknesses like how ivysaur dies sooner from fire attacks?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
So what is the result of using this on wifi?
Well, you and your opponent both need to have the same codeset otherwise it will desync, of course, but if your connection isn't stable, then there is also a chance of it desyncing regardless. Certain codes don't work online at all (notably the independent pokemon code, although the PT no swap code works fine). For the most part, as long as you have a stable connection and you and your opponent are using the same codeset you'll be fine.

storm said:
Seems to be very stable now, with the ASM merger codes there haven't been reports of desyncs!
Nah. I've gotten desyncs with it. Not as bad as I got before, but I was definitely getting desyncs.

storm92

Smash Ace
Well, you and your opponent both need to have the same codeset otherwise it will desync, of course, but if your connection isn't stable, then there is also a chance of it desyncing regardless. Certain codes don't work online at all (notably the independent pokemon code, although the PT no swap code works fine). For the most part, as long as you have a stable connection and you and your opponent are using the same codeset you'll be fine.

Nah. I've gotten desyncs with it. Not as bad as I got before, but I was definitely getting desyncs.
We're cross country though and never desync'd.

Almas

Smash Lord
- higher upward gravity
- more powerful jumps (this and gravity would work in conjunction to make faster jumps)
- character-specific shorter short hops
<Enters>

<Looks around shiftily>

<Leaves>

GPDP

Smash Ace
Don't think I'm not keeping tabs, Almas. I WILL get that code out of you! I know you have it!!!

...pretty please?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Hey I've been wanting to ask this question for a while so here goes nothing...

Why is Brawl+ so awesome?
A. Because Brawl is So terrible

B. Because you have total control over your gaming experience. If you want to play with a Toon link The Size of Giga Bowser...well you can do that.

황미영

Smash Champion
A. Because Brawl is So terrible

B. Because you have total control over your gaming experience. If you want to play with a Toon link The Size of Giga Bowser...well you can do that.
Well if Brawl is so bad why not just play Melee? I feel like Brawl+ is trying to be Melee without the wavedashing.

황미영

Smash Champion
do you think melee was trying to be 64 also?
No. When Melee came out nobody complained about how different it was. They accepted it and began developing their skills at it. I guess we are now like this because we got to experience how Melee was and are disappointed in how Brawl ended up.

Revven

FrankerZ
No. When Melee came out nobody complained about how different it was. They accepted it and began developing their skills at it. I guess we are now like this because we got to experience how Melee was and are disappointed in how Brawl ended up.
Well, it's not just disappointment, it's TERRIBLE design. If I can AD out of hitstun and avoid being hit again, there's a design problem. If I can retaliate OUT OF hitstun, as soon as I'm hit, there's a design problem. If I can live at an upwards of 190%-200% and I'm Captain Falcon or someone light as hell, there's a problem. If PS'ing saves me from being KO'd, there's a design problem. If I can't let go of the ledge as soon as I grab onto it, there's a design problem. If I can't ****ing ledgehop onto the stage with Ganondorf, there's a design problem. If I suffer a stupid special lag by just using my Up B to grab the ledge and when I ledgehop on and get lag from my landing, there's a design problem.

If there are no true spikes, there's a design problem.

vanilla Brawl has so many problems with it, it's almost as if the only true way you can get a kick out of it is if one of the design problems causes something funny to happen. Or, you're playing as MK or Snake and don't suffer these terrible problems because they don't effect you.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, it's not just disappointment, it's TERRIBLE design. If I can AD out of hitstun and avoid being hit again, there's a design problem. If I can retaliate OUT OF hitstun, as soon as I'm hit, there's a design problem. If I can live at an upwards of 190%-200% and I'm Captain Falcon or someone light as hell, there's a problem. If PS'ing saves me from being KO'd, there's a design problem. If I can't let go of the ledge as soon as I grab onto it, there's a design problem. If I can't ****ing ledgehop onto the stage with Ganondorf, there's a design problem. If I suffer a stupid special lag by just using my Up B to grab the ledge and when I ledgehop on and get lag from my landing, there's a design problem.

vanilla Brawl has so many problems with it, it's almost as if the only true way you can get a kick out of it is if one of the design problems causes something funny to happen. Or, you're playing as MK or Snake and don't suffer these terrible problems because they don't effect you.
That is a win post. That is why we are not accepting this game the same way we did in melee

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Can someone help me? I have a code list on my SD card, yet when I load ocarina it doesn't read the list. Where do I save the codes?

Revven

FrankerZ
Can someone help me? I have a code list on my SD card, yet when I load ocarina it doesn't read the list. Where do I save the codes?
First, stop using Ocarina and use Gecko OS 1.07b. Second, the .gct should go into a folder called "codes" in the root of your SD Card.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Anything you don't want to get used to is a design problem?

Revven

FrankerZ
Anything you don't want to get used to is a design problem?
No, anything that isn't right is a problem. Some of them I wasn't being very serious about, but, the rest are very serious. I play vB competitively and I put up with it but, does that mean it's good design? No. It's still quite terrible, I'm just being tolerant of it.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Its not the smartest design, but being different isn't what makes it bad. I actually like Brawl for what it is.

Meh I'm a scrub though.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
First, stop using Ocarina and use Gecko OS 1.07b. Second, the .gct should go into a folder called "codes" in the root of your SD Card.
I figured that out shortly after I asked. I kinda like ocarina for what it is, but I may change in the future if something about Gecko interests me.

Top Bottom