• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl, Evolving into melee?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im sure you are all aware of the hacking craze thats taken control of the general brawl section.

the hacks include,

Wavedashing
L-canceling
S-Canceling
No tripping.

Now I have played with wave dashing and I have seen videos of players going higher speeds with the l-canceling mod. however, it is still all in all a slow game, now with these mods do you think that for the first time, melee will be in any real danger of dieing? it has been really gaining momentum latley, melee that is. And I would hate to see snuffed out by a improved (But still inferior) brawl

Dear mic: I realize this is borderline brawl discussion, close if you see fit.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
As much as I'd like to see Brawl+ become the "new Melee", the chances of that happening would mean Brawl+ would have to become competitive standard, AND; would have to be similar enough to the fundamentals of Melee in order to be a worthy replacement. (Note: When I say Brawl+, I mean a fully developed, "Melee 2.0" Brawl+, not the current Brawl+ that exists)

Without it being similar enough to Melee, and without it being standard; Brawl+ will not kill Melee, especially with the momentum, as you said, that Melee is starting to gain.

Also, inb4lock.

-Nox`

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Adding these stuff to Brawl is good and all, but they have to change the physics of the whole game to make it even comparable to Melee. Adding L-cancel and WD proves that they can go pretty far with the modding though.

For me; I don't think Melee will die, at least not in Europe :p

Fletch

Smash Master
It won't become the standard, and still doesn't make the game anywhere near the level of Melee. The game is still slow as hell, lacks hit stun, and maintains everyone's crazy recoveries. There is nothing to worry about.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
It improves the game significantly, but it still isn't Melee (contrary to what a bunch of idiotic casuals and Brawl purist think). I doubt this will effect Melee's scene much (it still suffers from the stigma of being a hack). And also, Melee has Melee Falcon, Fox, and Falco. Brawl+ currently has no plans to mod characters (thankfully), so I'll still have reason to play Melee even when Brawl+'s flaws are ironed out.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Whats hilarious is that all this work will be for naught once a firmware update comes along. Doesn't this belong in the Brawl Board?(not that I suggest making it there since you'd just get flamed to holy hell by brawlers saying they're not making it into melee >_>)

QED

Smash Apprentice
Well adding WD and L canceling mods to Brawl is like adding icing to vomit. It may look slightly better but it won't change the fact it's still vomit.

Unless they redo the entire game... might as well mod Melee and add new chars, no?
I mean you could probably add 5 more jumps to Marth and make him attack 20 times faster and we have Metaknight don't we? Oh and we can have people screaming nonsensical things for the voice over.

Brainjack

Smash Journeyman
melee will never die as long as we dont let it!

keep posting and being involved!

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well adding WD and L canceling mods to Brawl is like adding icing to vomit. It may look slightly better but it won't change the fact it's still vomit.

Unless they redo the entire game... might as well mod Melee and add new chars, no?
I mean you could probably add 5 more jumps to Marth and make him attack 20 times faster and we have Metaknight don't we? Oh and we can have people screaming nonsensical things for the voice over.
QFT, although its a bit harsh and it should be said "its like.." no nevermind, vomit is a good example.

Basically this seems to be the melee communitys opinion on the matter.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Adding these things WOULD make the game more in-depth. But no where near as in-depth as Melee

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I've played it, it's fun, more fun that regular brawl, more options and faster gameplay. If a standard forms I may be interested in picking up, maybe. Melee is still way better, but this is new so it may be fun for a while.
I wish we could take the melee engine, update graphics and characters and have the TRUE Melee 2.0
oh, a melee fan's wet dream...

Zodiac

Smash Master
I've played it, it's fun, more fun that regular brawl, more options and faster gameplay. If a standard forms I may be interested in picking up, maybe. Melee is still way better, but this is new so it may be fun for a while.
I wish we could take the melee engine, update graphics and characters and have the TRUE Melee 2.0
oh, a melee fan's wet dream...
if only sakurai hadnt made brawl, we would all have melee 2.0

debaser

Smash Lord
to me this whole Bwalr+ thing is the most illogical, ridiculous phenomenon I've personally witnessed in a long time.

looks like they just created some sort of horrid abomination that should never be.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
melee and brawl should not be connected in any way.
brawl should stay brawl and like not try to get at melee's level cause it wont happen.
also if they want to play brawl but have melee techs, play melee instead of turning brawl to a "kind of melee game".

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
i dont care what happens to brawl... as long as tripping stays in, im in. tripping kicks *** ;-) makes epic matches

Absolute~Zero

Smash Rookie
saying that melee will be worse then brawl in any way is like trying to make someone eat a pudding that you stuck your **** in. wont happen. you can go on all day on how its good pudding and that it tastes excelent but noone will eat it because you STUCK YOUR **** IN IT.

debaser

Smash Lord
saying that melee will be worse then brawl in any way is like trying to make someone eat a pudding that you stuck your **** in. wont happen. you can go on all day on how its good pudding and that it tastes excelent but noone will eat it because you STUCK YOUR **** IN IT.
do you sometimes go by 0 K? if not, that should be your tag or something

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
this is why I love the melee boards.
Not sure if that was sarcasm, but if it was serious, I'm with ya.

I like how everyone is talking about the brawlers like their ****ing lepers or something....
Have you ever had an encounter with said brawlers?? Just sayin.

---------

Anyway, I didn't know they had come so far in hacking the game. That's sort of interesting. Oh yeah, didn't Nintendo just release an update today? (Yesterday) I didn't download it, because I wanted to see what it changed first.

Hm, just thought of a little analogy that shouldn't be too offensive regarding casual brawlers and competitive melee...ers. It's like Baseball. Nobody minds if you want to play in your back yard with your friends once in a while on the weekend or something, but there's also people who work hard at the game, perfect their skills, and go to the Major Leagues. There's nothing wrong with that either. Whatever, don't even comment on this. Ha!

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Brawl with L-canceling>>>>>Brawl without it at least. Bowser and Ike are fun now.

*sigh* too bad most people on Brawl boards love their campy, MK dominated Barlw.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Anyway, I didn't know they had come so far in hacking the game. That's sort of interesting. Oh yeah, didn't Nintendo just release an update today? (Yesterday) I didn't download it, because I wanted to see what it changed first.
They did, and it cancels out that hacking channel when you download it. I guess this almost puts an end to all the Brawl hacks, (who am I kidding, all they have to do is not upload it >_>). But they can't play new games on their Wii's though.

If they magicly make Brawl+ a tourney, then that would hurt the Melee community, I don't know how much but it will. Also it hurts the heart of most Brawlers who don't want Brawl game to be Melee 2.0 but it's own game, (I'm one of them).

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
They did, and it cancels out that hacking channel when you download it. I guess this almost puts an end to all the Brawl hacks, (who am I kidding, all they have to do is not upload it >_>). But they can't play new games on their Wii's though.

If they magicly make Brawl+ a tourney, then that would hurt the Melee community, I don't know how much but it will. Also it hurts the heart of most Brawlers who don't want Brawl game to be Melee 2.0 but it's own game, (I'm one of them).

Pshh...

Give team twiizers a few days and there will be a way around it.

Same thing happened with the 3.3 update

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Using the hacks makes it very fun.
It's still nothing compared to Melee, but it's light years beyond Brawl.
Plus, it plays almost nothing like Melee. It's like it's own new Smash...kinda,

Foxy

Smash Master
Here's some things to note:

-With these hacks Brawl is quite technically fast already due to the fact that it has LAGLESS wavedashing (you can input anything right after the airdodge) and that gives a lot more options
-Buffering in Brawl makes the wavedashing ridiculously inconsistent, even if you find a good way to do it, and I can't see people being able to comfortably wavedash 100% without finding a way to get rid of buffering. This basically makes the previous point moot.
-Combos can still be broken easily with airdodging (still) and just counterattacking
-Brawl is still too floaty, which heavy mode doesn't fix at ALL, and recovery is far too easy

So, it's a lot better, but buffering ruins it and it has some more to go.

Top Bottom