• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl, Evolving into melee?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
All these new mods that benefit Brawl's game play will unfortunately destroy it's character balance further than it already is. Melee will always be the superior game no matter how Brawl is hacked. If someone miraculously hacks Brawl and balances it more than Melee, and makes it play EXACTLY like Melee, only then will it be the better game.

Zodiac

Smash Master
If people want to turn brawl into melee, why wont they just play melee?
honestly its because of wifi, if melee had online play (And nintendo COULD HAVE DONE IT) then brawl would have flopped among the hardcore crowed much much harder than it did, so much so that no one would even care enough to hack brawl to make it brawl+

metaXzero

Smash Champion
If people want to turn brawl into melee, why wont they just play melee?
Some people want Brawl's new stuff (characters specifically) along with Melee's ATs. Melee obviously doesn't have Dedede, Snake, ZSS, and others. That's why some would rather hack Brawl into Melee rather then just play Melee. Some also like how SOME characters were changed from Melee to Brawl (Pikachu, Kirby, G&W off the top of my head).

It'll never be Melee of course.

M@v

Subarashii!
I have said it before, I like brawl and melee. What they are doing with Brawl is trying to change it into something it is not. Melee and Brawl is like comparing apples and oranges. If they are going through all that trouble, why not just play melee >_>

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
honestly its because of wifi, if melee had online play (And nintendo COULD HAVE DONE IT) then brawl would have flopped among the hardcore crowed much much harder than it did, so much so that no one would even care enough to hack brawl to make it brawl+
Yeah, the only reason I don't play Melee is because it has no online tbh.

I've only played Melee about 5 times. I watch Melee videos a lot though, I love the combos and such and the general pace of the game, it looks funner to me. Now if I move into an area that still has Melee players (I'm moving soon), then I might have to try it out. I have to play Brawl though, because there's no nearby Smashers so I have to stick with online play.

Funny, you guys probably aren't used to hearing it that way, huh?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with what you're saying though.

A desperate cry of Melee is all I hear. I hope you get to play soon.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
As one of the people most involved in the Brawl+ project (as it has come to be named), I must say, it IS better than regular Brawl. However, it will never, ever be Melee and I very highly doubt it will even come close. As someone had already mentioned, the core physics of Brawl just don't allow it to be as fast-paced or as competitive as Melee (also Meta Knight, lolz). Ironically, I've been playing Melee a lot more now since Brawl+ began.

One thing that some of us are trying to do, though, is add new elements that weren't in Melee, 64, or Brawl in an attempt to make it more fun/competitive (for example, a cancel system that allows you to eliminate all lag but at the cost of 1/3 of your shield) so maybe if we make it different enough instead of a shoddy Melee clone it could gain its own niche of players.

So no, I don't expect it will ever become the competitive Brawl standard (too many noobs that don't know what makes a competitive game) and I don't expect it will ever come close to Melee. I'm just doing it because it's interesting and it could become a good game in its own right.

I mean you could probably add 5 more jumps to Marth and make him attack 20 times faster and we have Metaknight don't we? Oh and we can have people screaming nonsensical things for the voice over.
LOL OMG YES LETS DO THIS

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I have said it before, I like brawl and melee. What they are doing with Brawl is trying to change it into something it is not. Melee and Brawl is like comparing apples and oranges. If they are going through all that trouble, why not just play melee >_>
Some answers were given right above you, yet you still posted this?

Zodiac

Smash Master
One thing that some of us are trying to do, though, is add new elements that weren't in Melee, 64, or Brawl in an attempt to make it more fun/competitive (for example, a cancel system that allows you to eliminate all lag but at the cost of 1/3 of your shield)

Actually smash 64's Z-cancel did eliminate all lag.

5ive

Smash Champion
Brawl+ will never become the standard.
Melee will never die :)

And also, Brawl+ wasn't made to match Melee, it was to make Brawl deeper, while keeping its unique Physics.
It is basically a different game from Melee or Brawl.

Lovely

Smash Lord
The only way Brawl would de-evolve into Melee is if they make Brawl a GameCube game, and another bajillion of other downgrades. >_>

Moosetracks

Smash Cadet
Personally for me, Brawl is a good thing. Back when we had melee, it was my brother's game but they went off to college. I suppose you would probably say I could go out and get the game cheap which I probably could, but I only really have one friend who regularly plays smash bros and he's not really that good IMO. The rest are turning into xBox fanboys which is kinda sad... =/ ....so I pretty much don't have any point in getting it. That's why I stick to Brawl since it has online play.

Spinner

Smash Cadet
There is only one thing I could say relating to this.: "They can try, but hacking can only go so far."

Melee 2.0 out of Brawl = Not Possible

We all know it just wouldn't have that pure feel to it. <_<

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'll just throw it out there again.

The Brawl+ project isn't trying to make Brawl into Melee. It's trying to make Brawl deeper as a fighter.

I don't even know if there is an ACTUAL Melee 2.0 project anywhere...

bugsdabunny

Smash Cadet
They should have called Brawl something like Mediocre Smash Brothers, because its nothing like the first two.

And its not super.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Dont think ive enjoyed one brawl vid until i saw two ikes wavedashing and shield canceling fairs/dairs....hilarious potential but not melee 2.0 by any means

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I've been messing around with hacked brawl lately. It's considerably more fun than regular brawl, and feels like something I could play without falling asleep. It actually is fun to play, but it's still not melee.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Gah, I just don't get it. I mean, I relize people are trying to make Brawl a better game and obviously it won't ever get near anything of a Melee 2.0, but why don't we just hack Melee for online? If some are willing to put in the time for the Brawl hacks, why can't we take the time to hack Melee? I remember a while back that someone asked a tech friend if he could hack Melee online and they responded, "It could be done, but it'd take so long it wouldn't be worth the time." Key word: It could be done.

And if you go Youtube "smash melee online" you'll get results and someone has succeded in hacking online for Melee. But with some many glitches and a requirement for PSO & a LAN adapter it's not really even qorth it.

Fletch

Smash Master
The only way Brawl would de-evolve into Melee is if they make Brawl a GameCube game, and another bajillion of other downgrades. >_>
Name these "downgrades". Oh wait, you can't because you're an idiot.

They should have called Brawl something like Mediocre Smash Brothers, because its nothing like the first two.

And its not super.
Awesome first post.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I'll just throw it out there again.

The Brawl+ project isn't trying to make Brawl into Melee. It's trying to make Brawl deeper as a fighter.

I don't even know if there is an ACTUAL Melee 2.0 project anywhere...
You do that by developing the meta game. Saying that before it's even a year is BS.

1 on 1 competitive
Melee>Brawl

Everything else
Brawl>Melee

Lovely

Smash Lord
You shouldn't call people out like that, that post I made was two days old, all you have to do is ignore it. But no, you called me out. >_>

I can't name all the"downgrades" due to me not being too big on Java or C++. But you'll have to change the graphics, sound effects, take out online, and tons of other stuff that I don't know due to Brawl being a 7th gen system and Melee being a 6th gen system.

Nic64

Smash Lord
You shouldn't call people out like that, that post I made was two days old, all you have to do is ignore it. But no, you called me out. >_>
he only called you out because you deserved to be, brawl to melee is a downgrade only in superficial things that don't impact the games enjoyability much at all, five minutes after we had the game, no one cared that brawl has better character models, it's all about the way the game plays, and it plays like melee with a bunch of good things senselessly taken out and a few bad things put in their place

that being said, brawl wasn't designed around things like lcanceling and melee style air dodging, hacking them in doesn't actually help the game at all, that just makes it an inferior melee

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
he only called you out because you deserved to be, brawl to melee is a downgrade only in superficial things that don't impact the games enjoyability much at all, five minutes after we had the game, no one cared that brawl has better character models, it's all about the way the game plays, and it plays like melee with a bunch of good things senselessly taken out and a few bad things put in their place
Presentation?
Music?
Content?

This post is so full of ...

Why waste my time.

cykofox

Smash Ace
IT IS APPARENT WHAT SAKURAI DID!

There really isn't justification for arguing.
Melee accidentally became one hell of a fucnking game. I'm down with that.

Top Bottom