• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
does mirror shield on the edge gimp zeldas recovery like it does the space animals? if so, that gotta be worth a lot. if zelda overshoot the ledge it its a free smash attack
I'm pretty sure it doesn't b/c she "appears" at the the sight she lands, she doesn't move towards the shield. It takes the same effect like din's on the mirror if it hits in the front. It'll just go *poof* and pit will get knocked back with out damage.

Pit verses Zelda I'd say is close to equal, but it rarely plays out that way:
the matchup seems very momentum based and can yield big wins on either side... I'm not sure why
I wouldn't say it's equal, but it is partially momentum based from what I've experienced. They're both floaty characters with some great aerials.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I wouldn't say it's equal, but it is partially momentum based from what I've experienced. They're both floaty characters with some great aerials.
(double post... tsk tsk)

Zelda will DEFINITELY have a hard time in this matchup if she tries to Din's fire camp like she normally does, but, she can beat him just as easily as he can beat her (or at least roughly as easily) if she plays smart.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Wow, I just noticed this thread and a lot of the match ups are actually pretty accurate.
I have some criticism on ZSS from my tourney experience with small details on the first two for now.
Falco = ZSS She can crawl under lasers, chain d smash him a bit, combo him pretty well, and gimp him.
Ike = ZSS Ike can kill her at pretty low percents and his jab combo goes through a lot of attacks
Pika = ZSS
Rob = ZSS
Ice Climbers >> ZSS
ZSS = DK
Shiek > ZSS
Yoshi = ZSS
Snake = ZSS

popsofctown

Smash Champion
how do you define pro? i go to tournaments in my area and do pretty well and the best long island smashers i have seen say i am pretty good. plus i am friends with some up and comers in to midwest who say i am a very good zelda. i am pretty sure i am around pro lvl and i might also like to add zelda is underplayed and there are not many known zelda pros to go around

(i dont mean to sound egotistical or mean just wondering what you mean by pro exactly)
My idea of pro would be someone present in the public consciousness, and held by all to be a good player. Like DarkMusician, that might be the only pro Zelda people hear of.

I don't think you are not famous enough to comment on matchups N.A.G.A.C.E, i just think whoever said "let's see some pro Zelda players comment" need to tone that back to "Let's see some competitive Zelda mains comment" or "Let's hear from some metagame Zelda players".

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Wolf shuts down Pit's arrow spam,

Arrow Spam, yes. But Pit isn't about the Arrow Spam. Arrow Looping and it's variants tear apart a reflector ready Wolf. Arrow Chasing is particularly useful against him in this regard.

and is better at close combat that Pit is.

Eh, what? Any decent player can PowerShield > Counter any of Wolf's attacks. They are two deliberate and wild. In fact, Wolf is one of the easiest characters to PowerShield. Pit on the other hand is chock-full of multi-hit attacks that are near impossible to PowerShield properly. Pit's fastest ground attack is also faster then Wolf's fastest ground attack.

In fact, many Pit players I know hate fighting any Wolf.

Overall, Wolf is a push over against Pit. As I said before, if a Wolf tries to reflect one of my arrows, he's done. He's too much of a fast faller to make mistakes against a fast moving Pit. It's actually pretty universally agreed among the Pit players I frequently converse with that this is one of Pit's easier match-ups. (non-tourney regulars excluded of course.)

Since when? If you hit her after her second jump and grab the ledge, she'll use her third jump and tether and then fall to her doom.

I believe what he means is that a Zamus can throw out her grapple early and often in attempts to knock the opponent of the edge. The Up-B tether can reach from pretty far down meaning the time an opponent needs to remain on the edge, and invincible can become considerable.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Arrow Spam, yes. But Pit isn't about the Arrow Spam. Arrow Looping and it's variants tear apart a reflector ready Wolf. Arrow Chasing is particularly useful against him in this regard.
Arrow Chasing is useful against Wolf, yes, but is there enough time to do that to Wolf continuously before he reaches you? He's not slow.

Eh, what? Any decent player can PowerShield > Counter any of Wolf's attacks. They are two deliberate and wild. In fact, Wolf is one of the easiest characters to PowerShield. Pit on the other hand is chock-full of multi-hit attacks that are near impossible to PowerShield properly. Pit's fastest ground attack is also faster then Wolf's fastest ground attack.
Are you taking into account Wolf's reflector which has invincibility frames when it comes out, making it essentially a very fast counter, even though it only does 3 damage or so (It also comboes into the jab combo, which does 9%)? And Wolf's grab game is quite good, especially with his Down throw having tech chasing properties, so Pit may not want to shield all the time. I do retract my comment that Wolf is much better at close fighting that Pit however.

Overall, Wolf is a push over against Pit. As I said before, if a Wolf tries to reflect one of my arrows, he's done. He's too much of a fast faller to make mistakes against a fast moving Pit. It's actually pretty universally agreed among the Pit players I frequently converse with that this is one of Pit's easier match-ups. (non-tourney regulars excluded of course.)
I still wouldn't go and say that Wolf is a push over for Pit. After looking over all that Pit can do (And spending a nice hour of my time just reading the Pit boards and watching a few videos of Pit), I'm kinda inclined to call it a neutral match up that really depends on how the Wolf plays. If he just goes in and attacks, he's probably done for, if he can play smartly, space and use the reflector well though, it shouldn't be disadvantageous for him.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well Pit can defend himself while Arrow Looping. And Wolf's Reflector still leaves him vulnerable during the move and at the very end of it. He's best defense out of it is to reflect immediately again or to shield. Knowing this the Pit should always be able to manage a grab.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I really want to call bull on Falcon going disad with most of the cast, but there aren't enough high-level Captains to make a good case. Pretty much all of Low/Bottom Tier sans Link, Samus, and Sonic are the same way.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well Pit can defend himself while Arrow Looping. And Wolf's Reflector still leaves him vulnerable during the move and at the very end of it. He's best defense out of it is to reflect immediately again or to shield. Knowing this the Pit should always be able to manage a grab.
But what if the Wolf drops the reflector and pulls out a quick jab combo or such? The Pit can't always manage that grab. I'm still wanting to call it neutral. However, from what I see from the Pit boards, you're a large scale Pit player, so I'm pretty sure I'm the guy missing something here.

Very Minor Prophet

Smash Rookie
I really think we shouldn't rely too heavily on this counter chart. I do like it but I feel that it takes away one thing which is raw skill. There are so many people who are great at brawl with each character (I do actually have to find a really good c.falcon...hm...ideas...). Relying too heavily on this can be detrimental in the future when more advanced metagames come out.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I really think we shouldn't rely too heavily on this counter chart. I do like it but I feel that it takes away one thing which is raw skill. There are so many people who are great at brawl with each character (I do actually have to find a really good c.falcon...hm...ideas...). Relying too heavily on this can be detrimental in the future when more advanced metagames come out.
That chart exist because people want to know about character match ups. Skill is equal for every match up. A good Captain Falcon can beat a lousy Marth and that doesn't mean that Captain Falcon is automatically better. We try to take skill out of the equation so that we can evaluate each characters strengths and weaknesses. I don't think people rely on this too much but it is useful info to have. Having a chart like that shouldn't be detrimental to the future meta games unless it was bizarre and said that Snake and MK were low tier and Ganon, CF, Sonic, Yoshi, and Jiggs were God Tier lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
upon further playtesting various friends mains;

IMO

mario > sonic (goddam ive never had a more difficult match up in my life)
sonic = TL, IC

and ffs at least put it back to = against ike, no evidence was provided to make it an X, why change it. no need to discuss it more than was already done, but theres no way in hell any consensus was reached

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
I find it VERY hard to believe Sonic = TL and IC...

TL has too many projectiles, not to mention can OWN the air with his disjointed hitboxes and ridiculous power. While IC's would just have to shield grab sonic into a **** machine correct?

oh and earlier someone mentioned ZSS=Falco
I will really have to disagree, as while she may be able to crawl under lasers her approach game seems very poor. A SH Phanstasm would hit a crawling ZSS anyway. All he attack seem to be shielded very easily in my sxperience and one hit off the stage will usually result in an instant edgehog kill. Her Neutral B and Dsmash can both be REFLECTED. As long as Falco stays out of side B range that match is a "Pizza cake"

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
oh and earlier someone mentioned ZSS=Falco
I will really have to disagree, as while she may be able to crawl under lasers her approach game seems very poor. A SH Phanstasm would hit a crawling ZSS anyway. All he attack seem to be shielded very easily in my sxperience and one hit off the stage will usually result in an instant edgehog kill. Her Neutral B and Dsmash can both be REFLECTED. As long as Falco stays out of side B range that match is a "Pizza cake"
Agree, ZSS has a bad approach and if she stands up, falco rack up easy damage with the SHDL. If ZSS does crawl attimes she becomes a wide target for dairs, so falcocan dair her up and proceed his combos and KO her lightness a 100% with his multiple kill moves were ZSS has to get falco up to 140% to get the job done.

You have the best sig ever .period.
JAWS+Samuel L. Jackson=Madness

Tenki

Smash Hero
I find it VERY hard to believe Sonic = TL and IC...

TL has too many projectiles, not to mention can OWN the air with his disjointed hitboxes and ridiculous power. While IC's would just have to shield grab sonic into a **** machine correct?
Projectiles are kinda overrated against Sonic, given that he can either Pshield>run or spinshot over most of them. I haven't had trouble against TL, but I attribute it to not having fought a good TL before, so I can't comment on that matchup too much.

I fought a pretty decent IC online (could do F/D/B-throw CG's, little button input lag, with some lag spikes once in a while) as Sonic-

The CG > Nana-spike kill isn't so effective because Sonic's up-B/meteor cancel allows him to get back up onto the stage XD

Also, Sonic's spring drops, usmash, and homing attack, among other moves, tend to separate the two IC's, and again, Sonic does off-stage kills/gimps pretty easily. Granted, I did get close to beating the guy most of the time, but I never won, mostly due to me sucking under pressure (had some good 40-50% off-stage kills while taking little damage in the middle of matches, but would lose against a So-Po when at 180% on his last stock... lol), so if it's not equal, I'd say slight disadvantage for Sonic at most.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Agree, ZSS has a bad approach and if she stands up, falco rack up easy damage with the SHDL. If ZSS does crawl attimes she becomes a wide target for dairs, so falcocan dair her up and proceed his combos and KO her lightness a 100% with his multiple kill moves were ZSS has to get falco up to 140% to get the job done.

You have the best sig ever .period.
JAWS+Samuel L. Jackson=Madness
I don't want to get in a whole debate here, but I'll add that ZSS can kill Falco at lower damages than he can kill her...and crawling should only be used when given the space.

And **** straight to the people that said she can't be gimped easily.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Kirby > Wolf.
Kirby > Ike.
Both are heavy characters and both have gimpable recoveries. Kirby can f-throw -> uair -> fthrow -> uair -> fsmash for heavies or d-throw -> utilt -> utilt -> etc.
Plus when Ike charges up his sideB and Kirby inhales, Ike falls off the ledge to his doom.
I'll talk more if somebody disagrees, if not this needs to be changed.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
and ffs at least put it back to = against ike, no evidence was provided to make it an X, why change it. no need to discuss it more than was already done, but theres no way in hell any consensus was reached
It's funny cos all Ike has on Sonic is range and power.

And whoever talked about Sonic and Ice Climbers being even, agreed. Side B helps with Ice Shot spam a lot, and they're pretty bad in the air, so just take advantage of it, especially when they're off the stage.
Homing attack is also incredibly useful against them, helps for mind games because it can go for either one of them, and also it's insanely easy to gimp Nana with it. Once Nana's gone, Sonic can kick around Popo all he wants cos Popo's not much of a threat by himself.
No way is this match-up a disadvantage. Don't get grabbed, and be wary of IC's ground game, and Sonic can hold up fine.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
Kirby > Wolf.
Kirby > Ike.
Both are heavy characters and both have gimpable recoveries. Kirby can f-throw -> uair -> fthrow -> uair -> fsmash for heavies or d-throw -> utilt -> utilt -> etc.
Plus when Ike charges up his sideB and Kirby inhales, Ike falls off the ledge to his doom.
I'll talk more if somebody disagrees, if not this needs to be changed.
As i stated a page or 2 ago i also think that Kirby>Ike, because ikes attacks are just too freakin slow, everytime i fight one i run up to them dodge there first attack if they are attacking, throw a flurry of punches at their face, grab them and hit them a few times before slamming them a little closer to the edge, then i right/left tilt them while they are triyng to hit me with one of thier smash attacks, wich are too slow for kirbys tilts, until they are off the stage. After they are off the stage i back up because i know theyre going to up B to recover and directly afterwards try to sneak in that stupid charging slash as if thats fast enough to hit me, so i dodge it and hit em with the hammer OR i turn into a rock directly above where thier sliding slash attack will end..then its game over. The only attacks that Ike has that are effective against Kirby is his neutral A, anyways That is just one example of a basic match with ike but this match can go in any order with him doing the charge slash first and i'tll all be the same in the end, so this list should be changed to Kirby>Ike ASAP;). By the way i don't really know if kirby owns wolf because i've only played against wolf like 4 times out of my 1,000 matches (earned it yesterday:)) and the wolf was inexperienced at that, so no comment on that front.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Is this chart ever updated? Where does the info come from?
once in a while it is

it originally came from each character board's matchup thread, but eventually (since some of them conflicted), it changed to whatever discussion is here or prominent between their boards.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum, it seems that sometimes the Samus/Falco match is more balanced that i thought...

Falco's spacing is better, but Samus' is not bad AT ALL (Zair, Missile Cancel, uncharged beam).

However, Falco is better at killing than Samus... If Samus had a good USmash, she would be great ^^

And, at recovery, Samus is better than Falco.

Maybe a slight advantage for Falco, but not that much.

Roller

Smash Legend
I think this whole idea is bunk.

There is no way you are going to ever come up with an accepted list.

My 2 comments for this right now are Pika has a good matchup vs lucas despite lucas being able to absorb thunder (plenty of other ways to kill).

I also feel pika's matchup vs wolf should atleast be neutral (if not good), after all pika can chaingrab him, and that is a nice little advantage there. Plus wolf is even easier to gimp (by a skilled pika) than normal because pika can quick attack to the edge from on or above the stage.

You should change those.

just my $0.02.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Lucario has an advantage vs. Snake. Sure you can say that, "Snake is very good in the hands of a good player." But so is Lucario. Lucario can chain-grab Snake to pretty good precents (up to 60%, maybe more...depends on how good the chain grab is and what it is followed with). This combined with Lucario's other strengths, IMO, gives Lucario the advantage.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
i would like to make a few comments on mario's behalf. any rob or mario player would agree that mario has a clear advantage here. M>R no offense. mario can cape his up infinitely, or as long as rob can use it. thats just one thought. the mario boards are starting a R.O.B. invasion. (you think im kidding lol go check. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170475 ) so maybe not a total advantage, but an evenly skilled mario vs. rob, mario should win easily. i am always willing to be proven wrong. i kinda feel bad for sounding as though i hate robs. they are my homi. trying to add to get a good tier listing stuff.

lol my friend left his account on my pc. sagemoon isn't creditable for this. death Hunter52 is me. unless its bad, then in that case i am sagemoon.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
nice, but i don't like the comparison of ganondorf. he has an advantage against no one, and yet, i can think of many ways he can out-play a good number of characters.
otherwise, a very accurate chart.
good job :]

Browny

Smash Hater
Lucario has an advantage vs. Snake. Sure you can say that, "Snake is very good in the hands of a good player." But so is Lucario. Lucario can chain-grab Snake to pretty good precents (up to 60%, maybe more...depends on how good the chain grab is and what it is followed with). This combined with Lucario's other strengths, IMO, gives Lucario the advantage.
as much as i love to chaingrab snake, you cant really say lucario has an advantage. lucario is extremely difficult to hit for most characters and aura sphere keeps everyone at range, but snake can just ftilt from the same range as lucarios fsmash, theres just no competing with that thing. honestly, why snake has any disadvantages is beyond me when he can just ftilt through every single smash and does 20%, utilt kills at around 110%, its ridiculous.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
My idea of pro would be someone present in the public consciousness, and held by all to be a good player. Like DarkMusician, that might be the only pro Zelda people hear of.

I don't think you are not famous enough to comment on matchups N.A.G.A.C.E, i just think whoever said "let's see some pro Zelda players comment" need to tone that back to "Let's see some competitive Zelda mains comment" or "Let's hear from some metagame Zelda players".
sorry if my earlier post seemed to be in an angry tone i did not mean it to be. but darkmusician is the only known zelda i can think of off the top of my head and i just wanted to point out that the zelda's that comment might not be well known but as long as they are not noobs and good to tournaments they could still have valid points.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Woah woah woah. DK has an advantage over Snake? I looked at both match up threads and on DK's it said Snake>DK and Snake didn't mention DK.

I don't know DK too well, but I'd very surprised if DK countered Snake. Please, anyone, give me some reasons or videos.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Woah woah woah. DK has an advantage over Snake? I looked at both match up threads and on DK's it said Snake>DK and Snake didn't mention DK.

I don't know DK too well, but I'd very surprised if DK countered Snake. Please, anyone, give me some reasons or videos.
There's actually a thread in the DK boards about it, but I think a brief summary is as follows: (1) DK is heavy and can absorb a lot of AAA combos etc., (2) DK's tilts, Down-B and smashes pretty much neutralize Snake's entire ground game, (3) DK has a very good aerial approach that outmatches Snake's, and can juggle him, (4) DK is extremely good at gimping Snake off the stage, and (5) DK is deceptively fast despite being powerful, which helps him further outmaneuver snake. It's kind of weird, but not altogether unprecedented: DK had some nasty **** against fastfallers like CF in Melee as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom