• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
lol@ DK Snake.

You better have a good argument for that one.

As I have said before when you try to argue that a lower tier can compete with one of the best characters in the game you better have some solid reasoning.
I do. Have you ever seen a good DK? . And I know how good snake is. Top tier. DK has a history of beating reptiles and top tier characters in smash :D

DK counters snake.

1) dk isnt really slow
2) dk lives long; can eat quiet a few aaa and ftilts
3) dk has more range than snake. ftilt outranges his ftilt and so does fsmash
4) snakes recovery and dk = spiked snake. also dk has huge grab range, can grab snake out of the cypher well
5) down b > snakes motar sliding
6) down b > snakes dsmash mine
7) down b > snakes whole ground game
8) bair uair > snakes air game
9) DK can kill snake earlier than snake kills him

1. gimping - if snake comes anywhere near the stage with his cypher, he's dead, at ~ 40% grab him and cargo dthrow him off the ledge, then spike, at ~10%, if you can grab him near the ledge, backthrow and spike. everything but neutral air beats the cypher (sideb, upb, and neutral b included). if he tries to take the high route, sprint to the edge, double jump, and fair him, if you're quick enough you'll catch him. if he's off the edge past 110% and you don't kill him, you did something wrong.

2. super armor- you have 3 super armor options, two can be used as traditional attacks, the fully charged bpunch is very easy to connect against snake, great for approach, setting up gimps, or kills. upb is best saved as a counter move, if the snake player does a slow aaa combo, use this, if you just want him to gtfo for a bit, use this. his last super armor option is only useful against snake, because snake leaves mines, c4, and grenades lying around, if he drops a grenade to shield an attack, grab and cargo him, because you will have 2 full seconds of SA frames for the grenade to go off, not too practical, but very humiliating.

3. don't back away- dk has one of the best approaches in the game with his short hop double bair (only arguably worse than marth and wario), on top of this, if he expects the double bair, you can switch it up and do a bair to aerial sideb and either plant him in the ground or break his shield/lower it to a tiny dot, this does not set off grenades at snakes feet. also, as mentioned before, SA punch > snake

4. return fire - most snakes will not cook there first grenade, grab it and glide toss, because your glide toss goes about as far as snakes usmash slide, and allows you to set up either a grab if you stop in front of them, or a double bair if you go through em.

5. combos - utilt x4 to uair to standard juggle works well when they are at zero, fastfalled bair to ftilt is great, and up close aa to usmash gives you a free kill at 90%

6. Spacing - be ready to spam ftilt, dtilt, the back of utilt, downb, and the occasional fsmash, this could be a pokefest, and dk has larger range

seriously, a grab at 40% = dead snake. you outrange him, kill him earlier, can spike him easy or grab his cypher with huge grab range. Beat his ground and air game. Its a good matchup

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I said lower tier not low tier.

Honestly, I haven't put nearly as much research into Snake as Marth, so I don't think I can debate you.

I would have to put some time into understanding this match-up which I have no desire to do right now.

But your argument looks solid. A hell of alot better then some of the other ones I have seen aeguing that Snake is at disadvantage vs certain characters.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Yeah the argument is compiled by a bunch of DK players, mostly Bigfoot who is the best DK in SoCal and plays good Snakes alot here (DSF, Ajax, Psychomidget). I'm just posting it here. :p

DK's my second, Dedede my main. I have a hard time with Snakes as Dedede and going to work on DK for this matchup because he has a better time then Dedede does by far I think.

Snake is still tough as hell.. for anyone I think.. but DK has the edge

Gindler

Smash Champion
Oh very clever emblem lord, I forgot about Pit's arrows :p

I guess it's because everyone used pit at the start then he just disappeared.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I don't even use the smashes with Ike save Dsmash and the occasional usmash. But even then, all of Ike's Aerials are a lot more ranges than Ganondorf's, so I can see Ike's Aerial priority as much better even if they are slower...

And yeah they are neutral, but I still don't agree with that; I'm going to see how far I can get with arguing for Ike's favor.
Ike's slow attack speed and lag is I'm sure what's keeping him down. Ganondorf and Ike both have bad lag on their attacks, with Ike having it worst. But at the very least, Ganondorf has decently quick execution speed. This doesn't go the same for Ike.

If it wasn't for Ike's range, ganondorf could easily take care of any start up lag, or ending lag that Ike dishes out, and even then, its not that hard for Ganon to get up to Ike.

Ike's recovery is also easily gimped. there's some doom for an Ike whose off stage, and even more whose below the stage.

Ike's aerals I can see causing Ganon more trouble. Range, power, priority. While Ganondorf is just faster.
---

I also want to question Ganon's matchup with Jigglypuff. Whether you know it or not, Jigglypuff has a slower runnning speed than Ganondorf, and I think we all know how apparently attrocious Ganon's running speed is.

That, plus the fact that Jigglypuff is the lightest character in the game is very uneasy.

I remember in Melee that Jigglypuff would strike fear into peoples hearts because of her Rest. Now, not only is it harder to connect,its gotten significantly weaker. Her range is also atrocious and he knockback isn't so well at all.

Most of Jigglypuff's attacks also seem to have only horizontal momentum to them. This means that if Ganon can gain some air above jigglypuff, her attacks won't hit him.

Rollout can easily be countered by a Flame Choke. Pound has little reach to it, and sing is only good if an oppoent is at high damage.

---

Capt. Falcon) I don't why this one is still being disputed. Except for perhaps the Falcon mainers, almost everyone would agree that Ganondorf>Falcon. Falcn can't combo, or at least not combo very well. His knee, the would be pride of Capt. Falcon was serverely nerfed.

Ganondorf can at least least combo Capt. Falcon and can ganoncide. Falcon's aerals<Ganondorf's aerials because both of them are pretty much the same, excpet Ganondorf has more power and prioirty over his, and can combo easer into them.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Jigglypuff's definitely taken a hit since Melee, but I was a jiggly main in melee, and I still dabble with her in brawl.

Her rest is actually easier to hit with in its own right now than it was in melee. The hitbox is bigger, but she lost a lot of the combos that led into it. That having been said, she wakes up earlier in brawl, and rest is a lot more damaging than it was in melee, though it has less knockback. She's still lightweight, but she seems harder to kill than she was in melee, and her fair (the only aerial in which this is the case) actually got some BOOSTED knockback... I'm sure it frightens off the edge G-dorfs, though he could probably just ganoncide her if she chased him out.

I dunno why she'd have the advantage though... though her air game rocks him, he's got her just as dead-to-rights on the ground.

Shök

Smash Champion
I'd say Marth has an advantage over Snake or at least they're even.
Snake is Slow
Marth is quick
They both have high priority moves
If the Marth Player is good, he can catch up and fight at a close range and use the counter on all Snake's strong moves, he has a solid advantage over Snake, Snake's recovery is easy to use Marth's Dair. His Dancing Blade is too quick and a major annoyance for Snake too.
It's hard for snake to fight at a distance against Marth because he's slow and Marth can close the distance fast. He can also use the counter on the C4 and his D-Smash.

I do. Have you ever seen a good DK? . And I know how good snake is. Top tier Ed: (Should be High) . DK has a history of beating reptiles and top tier characters in smash :D

DK counters snake.

1) dk isnt really slow
2) dk lives long; can eat quiet a few aaa and ftilts
3) dk has more range than snake. ftilt outranges his ftilt and so does fsmash
4) snakes recovery and dk = spiked snake. also dk has huge grab range, can grab snake out of the cypher well
5) down b > snakes motar sliding
6) down b > snakes dsmash mine
7) down b > snakes whole ground game
8) bair uair > snakes air game
9) DK can kill snake earlier than snake kills him

1. gimping - if snake comes anywhere near the stage with his cypher, he's dead, at ~ 40% grab him and cargo dthrow him off the ledge, then spike, at ~10%, if you can grab him near the ledge, backthrow and spike. everything but neutral air beats the cypher (sideb, upb, and neutral b included). if he tries to take the high route, sprint to the edge, double jump, and fair him, if you're quick enough you'll catch him. if he's off the edge past 110% and you don't kill him, you did something wrong.

2. super armor- you have 3 super armor options, two can be used as traditional attacks, the fully charged bpunch is very easy to connect against snake, great for approach, setting up gimps, or kills. upb is best saved as a counter move, if the snake player does a slow aaa combo, use this, if you just want him to gtfo for a bit, use this. his last super armor option is only useful against snake, because snake leaves mines, c4, and grenades lying around, if he drops a grenade to shield an attack, grab and cargo him, because you will have 2 full seconds of SA frames for the grenade to go off, not too practical, but very humiliating.

3. don't back away- dk has one of the best approaches in the game with his short hop double bair (only arguably worse than marth and wario), on top of this, if he expects the double bair, you can switch it up and do a bair to aerial sideb and either plant him in the ground or break his shield/lower it to a tiny dot, this does not set off grenades at snakes feet. also, as mentioned before, SA punch > snake

4. return fire - most snakes will not cook there first grenade, grab it and glide toss, because your glide toss goes about as far as snakes usmash slide, and allows you to set up either a grab if you stop in front of them, or a double bair if you go through em.

5. combos - utilt x4 to uair to standard juggle works well when they are at zero, fastfalled bair to ftilt is great, and up close aa to usmash gives you a free kill at 90%

6. Spacing - be ready to spam ftilt, dtilt, the back of utilt, downb, and the occasional fsmash, this could be a pokefest, and dk has larger range

seriously, a grab at 40% = dead snake. you outrange him, kill him earlier, can spike him easy or grab his cypher with huge grab range. Beat his ground and air game. Its a good matchup

This is very true, too. Fix Snake.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
You should organize this chart like Phanna's in melee. i know theres no tiers, but mabey from most to least x's or something like that.

Shök

Smash Champion
4got that snake is extreme juggle bait. keep him in the air for an easy game, Marths

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
Ike's slow attack speed and lag is I'm sure what's keeping him down. Ganondorf and Ike both have bad lag on their attacks, with Ike having it worst. But at the very least, Ganondorf has decently quick execution speed. This doesn't go the same for Ike.
I agree here.

If it wasn't for Ike's range, ganondorf could easily take care of any start up lag, or ending lag that Ike dishes out, and even then, its not that hard for Ganon to get up to Ike.
Also agree, but you're making it sound too easy because Ike has some moves that are quicker than Ganondorf's jab; Ike's own Jab comes to mind, and nair too. If Ganondorf gets too close, nair -> jab takes care of it.

Ike's recovery is also easily gimped. there's some doom for an Ike whose off stage, and even more whose below the stage.
Quick Draw is easily gimped, but Ganondorf isn't Marth when it comes to gimping Aether; he has no counter. Aether has some opening SAF and if Ganondorf is trying to edge hog, for the most part he'll be able to cover the edge. I don't see how it's easily gimped downwards.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Game and Watch > or = Zelda. While Zelda has the superior killing moves, Game and Watch completely negates her projectile, one of the best parts of her. Game and Watch also has a better recovery and can rack up damage a little better. Zelda does have superior range (although this can be disputed.)

Game and Watch > or = Wario. Wario has less range, and his recovery can be stopped by Game and Watch's awesome off-stage game. Wario's Waft is superior to Game and Watch's killing moves, though. Wario also has no trouble knocking Game and Watch away. However, mainly due to lack of range, Game and Watch is the superior, though they could be equal.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Game and Watch > or = Zelda. While Zelda has the superior killing moves, Game and Watch completely negates her projectile, one of the best parts of her. Game and Watch also has a better recovery and can rack up damage a little better. Zelda does have superior range (although this can be disputed.)

Game and Watch > or = Wario. Wario has less range, and his recovery can be stopped by Game and Watch's awesome off-stage game. Wario's Waft is superior to Game and Watch's killing moves, though. Wario also has no trouble knocking Game and Watch away. However, mainly due to lack of range, Game and Watch is the superior, though they could be equal.
I still find the zelda/ G&W match about equal.

as great as Din's fire is, it's not a move zelda needs to rely on. Though it still maintains usefullness in punishing G&W's Chef... the main reason I can't put G&W ahead by much at all if any here is because zelda can kill him at SUCH low damages.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I still find the zelda/ G&W match about equal.

as great as Din's fire is, it's not a move zelda needs to rely on. Though it still maintains usefullness in punishing G&W's Chef... the main reason I can't put G&W ahead by much at all if any here is because zelda can kill him at SUCH low damages.
Punishing G&W's chef with Din's fire? Hardly. Game and Watch can drop out of chef to the bucket as soon as he sees the din fire on its way. It takes a very short time to do this.

Anytime Zelda may slip off out of habit or goes for a seeming break in G&W's bucket game, and goes for the Din's, its a free bucket stock. Three of those is an instant kill. Even if its close range and he gets hit after bucketing (despite the invincibility frames after absorbing something, it does have some lag time to put away), its definitely worth taking a hit for the potential of a free stock.

I do honestly think the advantage is for G&W. A lot of people tote range and killing G&W at lower percents as a reason why he should be on their level, but it's hardly the case. He has the maneuverability to get around when he wants, he has a defensive game on par, or better than, a lot of the cast members, and he can kill as low as they can kill him. It's in his favor, thats the way I see it.

And it's not about me not having faced good zelda players. I've played very good ones in fact. The advantage is there, even if slight.

it's fine as it's listed.

I dont have much experience with Wario though.
I've won against a mainer, but I dont want to make any sweeping statements about the matchup.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Punishing G&W's chef with Din's fire? Hardly. Game and Watch can drop out of chef to the bucket as soon as he sees the din fire on its way. It takes a very short time to do this.

Anytime Zelda may slip off out of habit or goes for a seeming break in G&W's bucket game, and goes for the Din's, its a free bucket stock. Three of those is an instant kill. Even if its close range and he gets hit after bucketing (despite the invincibility frames after absorbing something, it does have some lag time to put away), its definitely worth taking a hit for the potential of a free stock.

I do honestly think the advantage is for G&W. A lot of people tote range and killing G&W at lower percents as a reason why he should be on their level, but it's hardly the case. He has the maneuverability to get around when he wants, he has a defensive game on par, or better than, a lot of the cast members, and he can kill as low as they can kill him. It's in his favor, thats the way I see it.

And it's not about me not having faced good zelda players. I've played very good ones in fact. The advantage is there, even if slight.

it's fine as it's listed.

I dont have much experience with Wario though.
I've won against a mainer, but I dont want to make any sweeping statements about the matchup.
The chef can't be put away quickly enough to avoid din's fire. Let alone pull out a bucket in time. Maybe if zelda was at max distace doing so, but why would she be? No way G&W can kill zelda at as low of % as she can kill him. Zelda's lightning kick, for example, is more powerful than any move in G&W's repetoir save a lucky "9" hammer. not only this, but G&W is lighter than anyone save jigglypuff. I'm betting a lighting kick will kill at lower than 40% damage. And don't say: ignore that, it's hard to hit with. because zelda can hit with it in either direction, a good zelda is capable of landing it often enough and, even if it never connects the whole match, it keeps G&W from getting close to her in the air unless he wants to risk certain death.

as for ground game, He can't chef her because he'll get din's fired for doing so, but zelda can't din's fire offensively because it'll get bucketed for doing so. Zelda's dash attack has loads of priority making it a great approach, especially considering that, once airborne, G&W has absolutely nothing (even donkey kong Jr AKA key) which can break through her U smash. His Fire is quite threatening, but is outranged by zelda's Fsmash. His Dsmash is also threatening, but is far outsped by zelda's . If zelda can range G&W properly, he shouldn't stand much of a chance at all in the matchup.

Game and watch and zelda both have recoveries that the other character is pretty much incapable of gimping, though zelda's is often punishable if she's forced to land on the stage, and G&W is a sitting duck for din's fire after using his unless he opts to drop the parachute.

Basically, what G&W has going for him in the matchup is that he reduces zelda's projectile game... but reducing part of another character's game isn't enough to say: favoured in matchup, unless this character can actually best the other in other ways. G&W has faster moves than zelda. He's capable of outspeeding her with a powerful attack if he gets in close, but he can't outrange her, and doesn't outprioritize her either. Add to that the fact that he's lighter weight and is, overall weaker you just don't have a winning hand there. I mean, don't get me wrong, G&W is good enough to stand a fighting chance in this match, maybe even make it close to even, but zelda is so much more than din's fire alone, and he doesn't have much of an answer to any of her other aspects.

and no zelda worth her salt is going to feed you 3 din's fires... not saying to ignore the bucket; the fact alone that you have the move prevents zelda from using Din's fire as offensively as she might, but saying that G&W's bucket can auto kill zelda with his bucket is just silly. It can happen, but it's a rare enough occurance not to make a whole lot of difference in the match beyond the implications just stated. Besides, once he has a full bucket, he's used his trup card, he can no longer suck up her other fires. Don't misread me, I' not saying that filling up a G&W bucket is a GOOD idea, but I'm saying that, if it happens, zelda is more than capable of capatilizing on it to kind of do some damage control.

And I'm stating it again because I believe it needs restating:

The common consensus from anywhere I've checked says that olimar vs. sonic is an even matchup, or, if not even, then close enough that it can't be decided who's advantaged or any advantage at all is slight. I've already stated at least some of the reasons that olimar isn't advantaged in it, one angry poster refuted it, but any other source I've found agrees with me, or is at least willing to concede that the matchup is close: even.

and Zelda Vs. Wario... I've searched the thread, I've searched the boards, I've asked around and have found absolutely no-one suporting wario being ahead in that matchup In fact the only responses I've found are "I don't know enough about that matchup" or "zelda, definitely". none. If you aren't going to chang it, then at least post WHY that's the way the matchup is written on the chart: advantage zelda

and, since it's disputed, for the metaknight DK matchup, I'll throw in my two cents: DK. metaknight really doesn't like how easily DK's smashes go right through his sword, and how few times that needs to happen for DK to KO MK.... heheheh

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
Okay, I haven't read all 71 pages of this thread, but judging by the current matchup list it must have not been mentioned yet...Zelda > Wario for the simple fact of priority...she has an array of attacks that out prioritize most anything Wario can do. Her U-smash can almost disable his air game, an extremely vital part of any good Wario's arsenal. And his ground game is fairly weak anyways, as most people know. She also has quite a few moves that dismount Wario from his bike...Din's fire, U-Smash, U-tilt, Nayru's Love, an extremely well times F-smash can do it, and to show off, a very well placed Farore's Wind. With Din's Fire being able to do this, it's extremely easy to fire juggle Wario if you know he's going to use his bike to recover...and what good Wario doesn't?

keeper

Smash Champion
Random input for Olimar: Luigi beats Olimar mostly as he can easily knock off pikmin and his sex kick out prioritizes Olimar's text book "combos" and Luigi has overall more advantages, easy gimping and a lot of things.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Falco reflecter is useless against din's while zelda's neutral B stops falcos long distance game and zelda has a strong close up game and has more reach then falco (i have not had much experance myself on falco vs zelda so someone with more info would be more useful. I also had a old post that said why mk vs zelda at this moment should be even but in the future when more mk vs zelda data is collacted should be change (my guess since there are so many mk and he will be more developed it will be in mk favor)
That's actually not true. Falco's reflector 100% protects him from a Din. No matter where the reflector is located, Din's fire cannot hurt Falco. His reflector can be off Falco completely, and Din's fire does 0 damage. Aka: Falco is immune to all special attacks when he uses his reflector.

That being said, Falco cannot reflect Din's fire back at Zelda. So, his reflector is really only useful against a spamming zelda. But this is also a great way for Falco to dodge Din in the air where he might not want to be predictable and airdodge. Plus, I don't know of any good player who gets hit by Din's fire in the first place. It's probably one of the easiest projectiles to dodge in the game. Not to mention the horrible, horrible lag that follows Din's fire. A good Falco merely needs to dodge Din and then quick-dash to gain free %s.

Also, falco's lasor shoots faster than most people can react. By the time Falco's shot off 1 or 3 lasors, Zelda has only just begun hitting B to 'reflect them back.' And one reflected lasor only does 1 damage...so it hardly hurts Falco for you to successfully reflect a single blast back at him. And by that time, falco will have stopped shooting. At worst, it'll be an equal exchange...or it'll be in Falco's favor.

Falco dominates Zelda in the air as long as he watches out for Zelda's forward Air. And at least from my experience, Zelda is typically too slow to handle Falco's ground game. I really don't see why--in theory or in actuality--Zelda has an advatage over Falco. They're -at least- equal. Now, I could be overlooking a glaring flaw...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
That's actually not true. Falco's reflector 100% protects him from a Din. No matter where the reflector is located, Din's fire cannot hurt Falco. His reflector can be off Falco completely, and Din's fire does 0 damage. Aka: Falco is immune to all special attacks when he uses his reflector.

That being said, Falco cannot reflect Din's fire back at Zelda. So, his reflector is really only useful against a spamming zelda. But this is also a great way for Falco to dodge Din in the air where he might not want to be predictable and airdodge. Plus, I don't know of any good player who gets hit by Din's fire in the first place. It's probably one of the easiest projectiles to dodge in the game. Not to mention the horrible, horrible lag that follows Din's fire. A good Falco merely needs to dodge Din and then quick-dash to gain free %s.

Also, falco's lasor shoots faster than most people can react. By the time Falco's shot off 1 or 3 lasors, Zelda has only just begun hitting B to 'reflect them back.' And one reflected lasor only does 1 damage...so it hardly hurts Falco for you to successfully reflect a single blast back at him. And by that time, falco will have stopped shooting. At worst, it'll be an equal exchange...or it'll be in Falco's favor.

Falco dominates Zelda in the air as long as he watches out for Zelda's forward Air. And at least from my experience, Zelda is typically too slow to handle Falco's ground game. I really don't see why--in theory or in actuality--Zelda has an advatage over Falco. They're -at least- equal. Now, I could be overlooking a glaring flaw...
I dunno enough about a falco matchup, but here's what I can say is wrong with this particular post:

1) falco is not immune durring his whole attack... only his reflector can reflect to the best of my knowledge.

2) you aren't playin good zeldas then, din's fire can be dodged, it's true, but a good zelda mixes up WHEN she releases din's fire. the hitbox is big enough that she can release it early and still hit, or wait until the dodge is finished to release it and it will still hit. A good zelda is VERY tricky with din's fire, because if you are predictable with it, as a mediocre zelda is, it WILL get dodged.

3) Nayru's love comes out fairly quick actually, and has a longer reflecting span and range than it did in melee. if you try to laser her, you'll get them shot back and you will be worse for the wear. Especially since Din's fire does not DECREASE the strength of projectiles, it might even increase them, so it'll likely do more than 1% damage per reflectewd laser... and, BTW, it relects long enough that if she reflects your first laser, you won't be able to hit her before your laser hits you back.

4) none of falco's aeirals outprioritize, outrange or outpower any of zelda's to the best of my knowledge... they just outspeed her's

5) zelda's not too slow to handle falco's ground game for the most part, her hitboxes are big enough and have high enouve priority to rip falco out of most of his ground game approaches... and her Usmash kills almost all if not all air-to-ground attempts.

I dunno a lot about this matchup personally, but I know zelda's a beast who is horribly underrated at this point in time not many characters actually have a legitimate advantage over her, and I can't imagine anything about falco's game that would make him one of them.

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
i've played a decent zelda before and i feel like G&W's defensie game can really outlast zelda priotiy in the long run, like even though zelda's usmash compromises GW dair postioning, i feel the speed reaaly makes him allot better then zelda. and besides, even though gw is one of the lightest characters, i usually live up to 120-130 persent on avager, his the speed is enough defense to carry him to high percentages (or/and/with a decent player)

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I dunno enough about a falco matchup, but here's what I can say is wrong with this particular post:

1) falco is not immune durring his whole attack... only his reflector can reflect to the best of my knowledge.

2) you aren't playin good zeldas then, din's fire can be dodged, it's true, but a good zelda mixes up WHEN she releases din's fire. the hitbox is big enough that she can release it early and still hit, or wait until the dodge is finished to release it and it will still hit. A good zelda is VERY tricky with din's fire, because if you are predictable with it, as a mediocre zelda is, it WILL get dodged.

3) Nayru's love comes out fairly quick actually, and has a longer reflecting span and range than it did in melee. if you try to laser her, you'll get them shot back and you will be worse for the wear. Especially since Din's fire does not DECREASE the strength of projectiles, it might even increase them, so it'll likely do more than 1% damage per reflectewd laser... and, BTW, it relects long enough that if she reflects your first laser, you won't be able to hit her before your laser hits you back.

4) none of falco's aeirals outprioritize, outrange or outpower any of zelda's to the best of my knowledge... they just outspeed her's

5) zelda's not too slow to handle falco's ground game for the most part, her hitboxes are big enough and have high enouve priority to rip falco out of most of his ground game approaches... and her Usmash kills almost all if not all air-to-ground attempts.

I dunno a lot about this matchup personally, but I know zelda's a beast who is horribly underrated at this point in time not many characters actually have a legitimate advantage over her, and I can't imagine anything about falco's game that would make him one of them.
1) Trust me, it doesn't matter where the reflector is at, Zelda's Din cannot hurt him. Go into practice mode and test it out. Falco is immune to Din-Damage in reflector-mode. I'm not sure why...and he shouldn't be. But I've yet to get hurt while kicking that shine.

2) True, it's a huge hitbox but it's not undodgable. It's more of a mindgame than anything. Plus, Falco can get a lasor in for every din Zelda throws, and still shield before Din gets to him. I'm convinced there's no advantage on either side's projectile. They seem to be dead even, with both characters capable of blocking each other's projectile.

3) True, I meant to say if falco isn't predictable, his lasor is hard to block. IE: If he isn't standing on the ground pressing B like an idiot it's difficult for Zelda to block his lasor every time it's thrown. Falco's bound to get some lasors in. Besides, the best Falcos use lasor situationally, one or two shots when you least expect it. Expecially a shorthopping Falco. (About the 1% damage thing, the last time I was hit by my own lasor, it did 1% damage. That could have been a fluke...so you might be right about that. I'd have to test to see if there's a reduction in damage, if it's the same, or if it's increased.)

4) A quick, F-Air is poison to a slow Zelda. A premature N-Air also typically hits Zelda before her ariels can kick in.

5) That I agree with, her up-smash makes a lot of Falco's ariel game useless. In fact, it IS deadly and I probably die more to that move than any other. But her up-smash is almost as bad as Lucas's speed-wise. A running attack or a Forward B will get her every time. With care, the attack can be turned into more of a detriment than anything.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Zamz - Wolfs Reflector can protect him forever from Dins.
Also wolfs laser doesn't generally reflect back far enough to return any damage..

Those were your two biggest points it seems like for falco, yet wolf is better than falco on both of them.,
And yet, in spite of that - Zelda is still shown to have an advantage over wolf.

Honestly as zelda I have never had a falco give me any trouble.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I agree here.

Also agree, but you're making it sound too easy because Ike has some moves that are quicker than Ganondorf's jab; Ike's own Jab comes to mind, and nair too. If Ganondorf gets too close, nair -> jab takes care of it.

Quick Draw is easily gimped, but Ganondorf isn't Marth when it comes to gimping Aether; he has no counter. Aether has some opening SAF and if Ganondorf is trying to edge hog, for the most part he'll be able to cover the edge. I don't see how it's easily gimped downwards.

Ike does have faster moves, thats true. Plus, Ike's Aether is an awesome anti-air attack. That, once again accomidated with his reach really leaves Ganondorf trying to figure out a way to get to Ike.

Ike seems to have a pretty good defensive game. Reach, spacing, the fear in opponents that if they mess up they'll get face smack full of AAA combo or F-tilt, the latter probably KOing at 100+ give or take a few and depending on where Ganondorf is. Counter

But, if Ganondorf can get to Ike, Ike will be severely punished just because his execution speed is very low. On the Execution speed, most of the attacks Ike uses has to be timed pretty well, and even his AAA can be shielded against (Not that none of Ganon's attacks can't be shielded)

Aether is just, unfortunately, a horrible recovery. Perhaps Ganondorf can't gimp it, but it just stands that Ike has to pretty much be right next to the stage to make it. This is why I believe Ike has such a dangerous time off the stage.

Ganon has a pretty bad recovery as well, but at least Ganon as an equalized measure of horizontal and verticle recovery.

Also, on a postive note to Ike, Ike does have great priority.

Shök

Smash Champion
Ike and ganon are kind of even

Theyre both pretty slow but they're both pretty strong.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
1) Trust me, it doesn't matter where the reflector is at, Zelda's Din cannot hurt him. Go into practice mode and test it out. Falco is immune to Din-Damage in reflector-mode. I'm not sure why...and he shouldn't be. But I've yet to get hurt while kicking that shine.

2) True, it's a huge hitbox but it's not undodgable. It's more of a mindgame than anything. Plus, Falco can get a lasor in for every din Zelda throws, and still shield before Din gets to him. I'm convinced there's no advantage on either side's projectile. They seem to be dead even, with both characters capable of blocking each other's projectile.

3) True, I meant to say if falco isn't predictable, his lasor is hard to block. IE: If he isn't standing on the ground pressing B like an idiot it's difficult for Zelda to block his lasor every time it's thrown. Falco's bound to get some lasors in. Besides, the best Falcos use lasor situationally, one or two shots when you least expect it. Expecially a shorthopping Falco. (About the 1% damage thing, the last time I was hit by my own lasor, it did 1% damage. That could have been a fluke...so you might be right about that. I'd have to test to see if there's a reduction in damage, if it's the same, or if it's increased.)

4) A quick, F-Air is poison to a slow Zelda. A premature N-Air also typically hits Zelda before her ariels can kick in.

5) That I agree with, her up-smash makes a lot of Falco's ariel game useless. In fact, it IS deadly and I probably die more to that move than any other. But her up-smash is almost as bad as Lucas's speed-wise. A running attack or a Forward B will get her every time. With care, the attack can be turned into more of a detriment than anything.
1) I'm pretty sure it's BECAUSE din's fire is so huge. as long as any portion of the hitbox hits any portion of the reflector, flaco will be safe, so I think whoever you are playing against is releasing it too early.. if they'd wait until din's fire were behind you, I'm pretty sure they could make it connect.

2) I was merely responding to your statement "no good player ever gets hit by din's fire" that's not at all true, as long as zelda knows what she's doing, it can be just as hard to dodge as any other projectile.

3) His laser is faster, true, but it's also more predictable because every laser travels the same, it can't be moved or timed like din's fire... and, even I concede it's easier to get hit by... din's fire is probably stronger than 20 falco lasers... falco lasers are not 20x more likely to connect, so I give zelda's projectile the win here.

4) what are you talking about? zelda's fair outranges and outprioritzes falco's enough that, if the zelda has any idea what she's doing, she can DESTROY a flaco attempting to fair her. the only way falco's aerials are going to hit, in all likelyhood, is if the falco has gotten inside zelda and is applying pressure.

5) Get your facts striaght. Zelda's Usmash comes out WAY quicker than lucas's. I thinks it's in less than half the time honestly.

@sFoster: you are right about that. but the reason zelda destroys wolf, I think, is because he likes his air-ground game a lot and zelda's Usmash nuetralizes almost all air-ground games. I think wolf has a MUCH harder time approaching zelda than falco does, and is much more easily hit. In other words, even if zelda is good against both of them, she's better against wolf.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ice climbers > ZSS

Sheik > Zelda

Ness = Dedede

Sheik >>>>>> Ness

Hahah, strange decisions? Well, I tournament final matches under my belt. So I understand these quite well! But they are probably too weird for anyone to understand... So I'll keep the knowledge to myself xD!

(I'm actually just to lazy to explain why I think they are true.)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
why does shiek>zelda?

people seem to think that zelda can't fight fast characters why is that i don't find this true

Also since the diddy zelda fight is still a ? i will put in my thoughts on it.
so diddy's banana is annoying but while he is taking it out he can be hit by a din's plus the banana can be refelcted back at him. one of diddy's strongest points is his air game which zelda's up-smash ruins. Also since diddy has a hard time killing zelda's wieght is not a big deal. diddy's ground game can be dangerous since its fast but zelda's d-smash is fast and her reach and hitboxes out range diddy. off the edge diddy's up-B can be gimped by din's.

I know this seems very one sided but even through i think zelda has the advantage i don't think its a huge one if diddy gets good momentum he is hard to stop and once he has you traped with his banana game you will be in trouble and he will rack up dmg. Also if zelda is in the air diddy's speed and good air game might be able to juggle zelda up there or at the very least knock her around a little and rack up dmg (yes i know zelda's nair and fair/bair will out prioritize diddy's air game but diddy's speed might still help him get some hits in). He is also pretty small and is a character who when used right seems to me like he should always be moving so he will be pretty hard to sweet spot with a fair or bair.

But overall i give this one to zelda for her ground game racks diddy's air game which is to importent for him to lose and his banana game can be stoped by her

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
As far as the Wolf/Zelda matchup goes, it's all Wolf...assuming he's playing smart. Yes, alot of wolf(s) rely on their Air to Ground game as an approach, and Zelda does a great job neutralizing that, but Wolf can out camp a Zelda all day long with his laser and shine and force her into the approach, which is easily the weakest part of Zelda's game. Not only is Zelda's approach weak by default, but Wolf has a plethora of ways to capitalize on that and make it that much harder on her...his up-b, F-smash, D-smash, Shine combos, and probably a few other ways that I'm forgetting about. Assuming both players know what they're doing, there's no reason that a Wolf doesn't have some major advantages over Zelda.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Umm, are you people on drugs? Good wolf vs. Good zelda, Zelda wins.

If you take into account a first-time fight between a Zelda player and a Wolf player of near-equal skill, having never adjusted their playing styles towards each other person (not character), Zelda will win.
If you take into account a Zelda main and a Wolf main of near-equal skill who have been playing each other since the game came out, Zelda still has the advantage.

Just because Wolf's reflector can infinitely deflect Din's fire, that doesn't make Wolf invincible against a well placed/timed din's fire, and it doesn't make Zelda take the damage of the attack, or even risk getting in the way of the attack so you can continue your approach once the lag time of the move is over.

Zelda can outcamp a Wolf because her Nayru's love attack reflects the laser, while as I already mentioned, Wolf's shine doesn't reflect her projectile. Wolf's laser does 6% damage, Zelda's projectile does close to 20.

Imo, Zelda's approach isn't weak by default. Wolf outprioritizes Zelda in some areas, no lie, but virtually all of Wolf's aerial approaches (except his reflector approach which only does like 3% damage) get shot down by Zelda's utilt/usmash.

The sparks at the tip of Zelda's attacks, Wolf can't attack through because they aren't a vulnerable hitbox. This, well timed, can stop most of Wolf's ground approaches, and if you don't have the time to do that move because of startup lag, her dsmash might be close range but comes out quick.

Zelda's dtilt has a much higher chance to sweep than Wolf's, and her sweep can tie into any of her moves. Wolf's sweep has a slight amount of knockback before they trip, so the only move he can follow out of it is his fsmash (which won't be at full strength due to multiple declines and it being evasive/offensive at the same time makes it used fairly often).

If Zelda players slow down and stop jumping into the **** and trying to aggro Wolf so much, they have alot more at their disposal in this fight. The problem with the more competitive players is that they like to aggro and DI into their opponents attacks, which you shouldn't do against Wolf since he can have a 0-landing-lag air battle.

Zelda is one of Wolf's Counterpicks.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but I just have to make a mention to this:

Wolf has a plethora of ways to capitalize on that and make it that much harder on her...his up-b
His up b? Are you referring to the same easily-gimpable attack that you can see coming and leaves him falling prone with no DI (at short ranges)?

Zetsuei

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Ganondorf, it's such a good feeling to counter Ganondorf's charging punch attack with either Marth or Ike. lol.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Speaking of Ganondorf, it's such a good feeling to counter Ganondorf's charging punch attack with either Marth or Ike. lol.
I assume you mean his warlock punch, and I also assume you were joking because no ganon user is even going to try to do a Warlock punch.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Random input for Olimar: Luigi beats Olimar mostly as he can easily knock off pikmin and his sex kick out prioritizes Olimar's text book "combos" and Luigi has overall more advantages, easy gimping and a lot of things.
The common consensus from anywhere I've checked says that olimar vs. sonic is an even matchup, or, if not even, then close enough that it can't be decided who's advantaged or any advantage at all is slight. I've already stated at least some of the reasons that olimar isn't advantaged in it, one angry poster refuted it, but any other source I've found agrees with me, or is at least willing to concede that the matchup is close: even.

and Zelda Vs. Wario... I've searched the thread, I've searched the boards, I've asked around and have found absolutely no-one suporting wario being ahead in that matchup In fact the only responses I've found are "I don't know enough about that matchup" or "zelda, definitely". none. If you aren't going to chang it, then at least post WHY that's the way the matchup is written on the chart: advantage zelda

hehe, sure. If you want olimar mid tier, go ahead, keep it coming. I'd love to fight bowsers in tourneys 3 years from now. :)

@zelda v wario- I don't disagree with you about the matchup btw. I posted
something similar to your circumstance where no-one commented on what i said about zelda v olimar.(page 69 i think?) Does anyone disagree that olimar is a hard counter v zelda?

Edit: lol, i was the angry poster. :laugh:

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Wow, you don't know Mr Game and Watch that well, do you? You've pretty much put out that he has nothing going for him against a "good zelda" besides his bucket, and even that you're underestimating. You even made things up! How very un-classy.

The chef can't be put away quickly enough to avoid din's fire. Let alone pull out a bucket in time. Maybe if zelda was at max distace doing so, but why would she be? No way G&W can kill zelda at as low of % as she can kill him. Zelda's lightning kick, for example, is more powerful than any move in G&W's repetoir save a lucky "9" hammer. not only this, but G&W is lighter than anyone save jigglypuff. I'm betting a lighting kick will kill at lower than 40% damage. And don't say: ignore that, it's hard to hit with. because zelda can hit with it in either direction, a good zelda is capable of landing it often enough and, even if it never connects the whole match, it keeps G&W from getting close to her in the air unless he wants to risk certain death.
Actually, it can be put away. If Zelda is close as she can get, without getting hit (Otherwise, if the food things hit her the Din's fire is null) and G&W is using Chef, I can consistently drop it into a bucket. It's not that hard, especially once you see her starting up the attack. You also must understand that not all G&W's use the chef, so I really don't know why you brought that up. Point is, you can bucket out of chef.

Now to your next point...

I call BS. Not one of Zelda's moves can kill G&W at 40%. In fact, every single attack in Zelda's repertoire, with the exception of her Fair/Bair, only starts killing G&W at 100% damage. You claim that she has better killing options? Barely. Here, I did a quick test in training mode to see at what percents Zelda killed G&W and what percents he killed her. These are taken from the center of Final Destination, and DI is used.

Kill Percents (WITH DI)
G&W Fsmash - 75%
G&W Dsmash - 71%
G&W Usmash - 70%
G&W Fair - 123%

Zelda Fsmash - Over 120%
Zelda Dsmash - 130ish?
Zelda Usmash - 105% (last hit of the attack)
Zelda Fair - 75% Sweetspotted

I was more precise with G&W's, and got sloppy with Zelda. Regardless, she clearly does not have the advantage over G&W when it comes to killing. Some other things I checked were throws, and those didnt kill until the mid to high 100s. I also took account that the smash attack did multiple hits for the Usmash, and only got hit with the last hit. I forgot to only get hit by the last hit of the Fsmash, so its a bit off, of course. Theres also the fact that two of those hit multiple times before shooting G&W off. G&W can easily DI in the middle of the hits, so DIing your attacks are easy. G&W's attacks can be quite sudden, giving a large chance of you DIing incorrectly or even forgetting to do that!

The 40% is way off.

G&W can shut down your projectiles AND has superior killing options thus far.

as for ground game, He can't chef her because he'll get din's fired for doing so, but zelda can't din's fire offensively because it'll get bucketed for doing so. Zelda's dash attack has loads of priority making it a great approach, especially considering that, once airborne, G&W has absolutely nothing (even donkey kong Jr AKA key) which can break through her U smash. His Fire is quite threatening, but is outranged by zelda's Fsmash. His Dsmash is also threatening, but is far outsped by zelda's . If zelda can range G&W properly, he shouldn't stand much of a chance at all in the matchup.
As I just mentioned, the whole argument that chef is useless because of Din's Fire is wrong. He can bucket.

The thing is, without Din's fire, you're going to have to approach now. Zelda's approaching options are sorta... limited. Her Dash attack is predictable, easy to punish, and can be shield grabbed. G&W's Bair can easily eat through it, and I would not be surprised in the least if G&W's Dtilt broke through it. His dash attack would cancel out her dash attack (this is just novelty information, it's not like I'd go to cancel your out in a match; I would just punish you normally.). Face it. She's more geared to forcing an approach than approaching herself.

And airborne G&W useless? hahaha
Obviously he's not going to use Uair into your Usmash, so bringing up any of his aerials save his Dair is stupid.

But lefts go into your claim that key cant break her Usmash. G&W's Key, when getting momentum, and as long as it hasn't just started up or is finishing up, will break through Zelda's Usmash. His Dair out prioritizes her smash; The kay will break through every spark, and will only take damage on the second hit, but he will still go through and hit her, knocking her back. She can still hit G&W if he mistimes the key. Did you know he could easily bait an usmash by doing his Dair, and thne slowfalling it?

How do you propose she deal with the Turtle? It outranges her Fsmash. The Dtilt? It outranges everything of hers, save the Fsmash (which you can do a quick turtle to punish). If it comes to a battle of pokes, G&W will usually win. His Dsmah is slower, but has more range and far more power.

Try to outspace him. He forces an approach from you, has attacks the out prioritizes your own, and has a spacing game on par with hers.

Game and watch and zelda both have recoveries that the other character is pretty much incapable of gimping, though zelda's is often punishable if she's forced to land on the stage, and G&W is a sitting duck for din's fire after using his unless he opts to drop the parachute.
She's very punishable with her recovery. G&W isn't
If he's coming onto the stage from above with parachute, he can easily go into bucket.
If he's coming from under, he can just sweetspot the ledge, and use his invincibility frames to negate Din's Fire, OR he can pull away from the ledge and quickly bucket.

Basically, what G&W has going for him in the matchup is that he reduces zelda's projectile game... but reducing part of another character's game isn't enough to say: favoured in matchup, unless this character can actually best the other in other ways. G&W has faster moves than zelda. He's capable of outspeeding her with a powerful attack if he gets in close, but he can't outrange her, and doesn't outprioritize her either. Add to that the fact that he's lighter weight and is, overall weaker you just don't have a winning hand there. I mean, don't get me wrong, G&W is good enough to stand a fighting chance in this match, maybe even make it close to even, but zelda is so much more than din's fire alone, and he doesn't have much of an answer to any of her other aspects.
I'm sorry to say, but she does not out range him, and she does not out prioritize him either. They both have options when it comes to range and priority, and Zelda doesn't have the better ones to work with. I'm not saying G&W's are superior, but they're close enough that it's just silly to claim that Zelda shuts down G&W in these areas.

And lighter and weaker? No. G&W has more options of killing, and they're far stronger and harder to DI against. Despite his light frame, he deals with her comparable weak moves with good Directional Influence. He kills far sooner than she does, except for her kick, which isn't a problem because he can still take her in close combat and worry little about it. Turtle wins.

and no zelda worth her salt is going to feed you 3 din's fires... not saying to ignore the bucket; the fact alone that you have the move prevents zelda from using Din's fire as offensively as she might, but saying that G&W's bucket can auto kill zelda with his bucket is just silly. It can happen, but it's a rare enough occurance not to make a whole lot of difference in the match beyond the implications just stated. Besides, once he has a full bucket, he's used his trup card, he can no longer suck up her other fires. Don't misread me, I' not saying that filling up a G&W bucket is a GOOD idea, but I'm saying that, if it happens, zelda is more than capable of capatilizing on it to kind of do some damage control.
Once the bucket is full, others spamming projectiles does become somewhat a problem.
Not so much, though.
Because both Fair and the Key totally cancel out Din's Fire. The Jab, the Hammers, and a few others cancel out it to, but the Fair and Dair cancel it out around the whole body, similar to Yoshi's Nair.

Now when you're close, you play a lot differently, because that is the amazing mindgame that is the bucket.

G&W has the advantage.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158672
Even the Zelda guide sees this as a hard matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom