• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Beta Build (GSH1) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues98

Smash Cadet
So old and so very not fixable.

The workaround is the use the exact codeset you used when you originally saved the replay, or just capture them to video so you can forget about loading old sets.
Oh alright thanks for clearing that up for me.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Why don't you like dashdance's awesomeness...?

Also, MK26, I just downloaded all of your stuff again, and I made sure to put it all in pf/ and then the .gct in codes/

and I still get freezes. :( ?

jalued

Smash Lord
Why don't you like dashdance's awesomeness...?

Also, MK26, I just downloaded all of your stuff again, and I made sure to put it all in pf/ and then the .gct in codes/

and I still get freezes. :( ?
no no its not that i dont like it, its just that its too easy compared to melee's version. just feel if alot of techniques were given tighter timings in the game, it would add more depth. In melee to smash out of dashdance you have to time it exactly to when the dash frame ended

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Eh, I just think that it would be filler skill which really wouldn't do much.

I mean, it's not that broken in the first place, why make just a good technique worse?

jalued

Smash Lord
Eh, I just think that it would be filler skill which really wouldn't do much.

I mean, it's not that broken in the first place, why make just a good technique worse?
cause it opens new doors for players willing to use it. Its not broken, but allows for more mindgames. There should at least be things in the game that require practice to be able to effectively use (thinking falco's laser skills in melee for example).

Just think there needs to be things that differentiate between pros and casual tbh, i mean in all games there are technical focused players (bombsoldier for example), mindgame players (PCchris) and inbetweeners, but in brawl+ there isnt enough tecnical skill imo, just thinking tighter timing on certain AT's would help

and its not making it worse...its making it trickyer to use, thats not the same thing at all

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
cause it opens new doors for players willing to use it. Its not broken, but allows for more mindgames. There should at least be things in the game that require practice to be able to effectively use (thinking falco's laser skills in melee for example).

Just think there needs to be things that differentiate between pros and casual tbh, i mean in all games there are technical focused players (bombsoldier for example), mindgame players (PCchris) and inbetweeners, but in brawl+ there isnt enough tecnical skill imo, just thinking tighter timing on certain AT's would help

and its not making it worse...its making it trickyer to use, thats not the same thing at all
If you make AT's too hard to do, people will not play your game. They'll either play Brawl or Melee instead.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
You realize that you can mindgame BETTER with this dashdance, because there is a larger window to do it. You have more control over your timing, BECAUSE you can dashdance easier.

cutting down on that window will only make the technique less fun, less mindgamey, more single-minded, more predictable.

How do you not see that?

It does require practice to use effectively. The larger window gives you better opportunities, but you have to know how to use them right.

TL; DR: Brawl's dashdance is better than Melee's

jalued

Smash Lord
You realize that you can mindgame BETTER with this dashdance, because there is a larger window to do it. You have more control over your timing, BECAUSE you can dashdance easier.

cutting down on that window will only make the technique less fun, less mindgamey, more single-minded, more predictable.

How do you not see that?

It does require practice to use effectively. The larger window gives you better opportunities, but you have to know how to use them right.

TL; DR: Brawl's dashdance is better than Melee's
yeah i do see that, not thought about it that way. btw im liking this NADT and lower hitstun, made the game alot better :D

VietGeek

Smash Hero
This has bothered me for a long time, but hey, since WBR is finally warming up to mechanic changes, I guess I'll say something:

Anyone feel like dash cancel windows are rather unresponsive...or at least somewhat less intuitive than Melee's? It feels like there's either a problem with control stick sensibility or something of that sort.

*shrug*

I rarely ever see dash canceled anything other than perhaps edgeguards. How responsive (or lack of) to the player might have something to do with how often it's used. <_<

Frogles

Smash Ace
no no its not that i dont like it, its just that its too easy compared to melee's version. just feel if alot of techniques were given tighter timings in the game, it would add more depth. In melee to smash out of dashdance you have to time it exactly to when the dash frame ended
uhh what. you could smash any time during a dash dance in melee. this holds true for 64 as well.

jalued

Smash Lord
This has bothered me for a long time, but hey, since WBR is finally warming up to mechanic changes, I guess I'll say something:

Anyone feel like dash cancel windows are rather unresponsive...or at least somewhat less intuitive than Melee's? It feels like there's either a problem with control stick sensibility or something of that sort.

*shrug*

I rarely ever see dash canceled anything other than perhaps edgeguards. How responsive (or lack of) to the player might have something to do with how often it's used. <_<
yes, responsiveness is a real problem. Also with the c-stick, god i ****ing hate that now, its no annoying!!! anyway to make all controls more responsive??

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
MK26, sorry to bug you again, but I'm getting freezes with two of my custom stages.

They are the top-most battlefield on the second page, and the left-most battlefield on the 2nd to last row of the second page.

(by second page I mean melee section)

I'm using Phantom Wings's example custom stages.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
DD is great. No change needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by dash cancel unresponsiveness. I'm not saying your claims are invalid, just that I personally haven't noticed it. Then again, I don't DC as much as I could. I'll use it more and perhaps I'll see what you mean.

I'd be interested in a custom SSS with new icon pics and preview images for the next nightly. That'd be so awesome!

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
It feels really weird at first, I know, but it helps to make Squirtle less 1-dimensional. Before now, most of Squirtle's aerials fulfilled basically the same role, but now fair is a finisher instead of a spammable WoP move like bair. You can just RAR bairs in most of the situations where you would have formerly used fair anyway.
Hmmm, it does feel weird. I have having a problem getting it to hit... ever really. I'm not saying its bad I'm saying I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Fair Bair mixup made squirtle feel very mindgamey, kind of like a well played Jiggs. He feels a lot more straight forward now and its screwing me up ^_^.

I'm not saying its a bad change I'm just saying its a DRASTIC one, it kind of fundamentally changes how the character is played, at least IMHO.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what you mean by dash cancel unresponsiveness. I'm not saying your claims are invalid, just that I personally haven't noticed it. Then again, I don't DC as much as I could. I'll use it more and perhaps I'll see what you mean.
I definitley know what is being talked about here. It feels like there is some wind down time between pressing down on the control stick and the actual crouch. It is especially noticeable on characters like Gannondorf.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

*shrug*

I can't say I have problems with responsiveness. The thing which bothers me the most with dash-canceling is that down + down-C does a dtilt. ****ing annoying.

I do use dash-canceling quite a bit though, mostly for running fsmashes, but it's also really useful for DC grabs and crawldashing.

Hmmm, it does feel weird. I have having a problem getting it to hit... ever really. I'm not saying its bad I'm saying I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Fair Bair mixup made squirtle feel very mindgamey, kind of like a well played Jiggs. He feels a lot more straight forward now and its screwing me up ^_^.

I'm not saying its a bad change I'm just saying its a DRASTIC one, it kind of fundamentally changes how the character is played, at least IMHO.
I feel kinda the opposite actually. Before now, fair and bair were more or less functionally identical, though fair was slightly more powerful and bair was slightly safer. Now they're truly different and it lets him mix up better imo.

Fair does have setups but they aren't super easy to land like they used to be. You can't just throw it out and expect it to beat everything. You have to set it up, for example, uair -> double jump -> fair works pretty wells, or if you predict that they'll DI in on f/bthrow, that's a kill combo.

MattMan

Smash Rookie
@MK26

I also get freezes when selecting the SSE stages, and I added the codes and files manually. Also, all of the SSE stages worked with Phantom Wing's example setup.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Weird. can you send me your custom stages, mattman?

two of mine are freezing, but the rest are fine.

I'm using MK26's RSBE01.wgc, his STGCUSTOM01.pac, his Module folder, and his RSBE01.gct. I'm using PhantomWings's custom stages besides STGCUSTOM01.pac.

MattMan

Smash Rookie
Ok, after some investigating, only STGCUSTOM1.PAC is freezing on me. I'll try switching it with another. And SymphonicSage12, do you still want me to send you my files?

EDIT: The problem was the STGCUSTOM1.PAC.

In the tutorial, MK26 says to rename STGDXSHRINE.PAC to STGCUSTOM1.PAC. I didn't have the correct module for the Temple stage, so that's why it wasn't working.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
Ok, random problem, every so often the game freezes when I try to enter training mode. It doesn't always freeze, just sometimes. Any idea why?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Ok, random problem, every so often the game freezes when I try to enter training mode. It doesn't always freeze, just sometimes. Any idea why?
I completely forgot about this issue... The only time I ever tried to enter training mode the game froze near instantly. I'm not sure how often this happens... But it never use to be a problem. Hmmm...

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
MK26, no...

There's another battlefield closer to the top of the second page...

O_o

did I do something wrong?

I only have nine custom stages in my sd card...

And can someone send me the "fix" for STGCUSTOM1.pac?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
in regards to dash canceling, ive sorta conditioned myself to smash the control stick down and not perform any other movements until its returned to the neutral position...

EDIT: no. in that case, i may have made a mistake. tell me how many stages are in each row of the melee screen, and which of those positions are taken up by customs (and there should be 9 of them)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
....DC can be unresponsive to some if they dont return the control stick into neutral position.

It's probably like that for viet because he plays traditional fighters that require half circle and quarter circle movements, so rather than returning the stick to neutral, he just does normal joystick movements in fighters.

another reason why we should make it like melee where you DONT have to return stick to neutral to get the input out.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Mk26, i can't check right now,

but I do know that the bottom two rows is 5 and 4 slots, are custom stages. btw, the first one in the 5 row is freezing for me.

Then it's a row of 5(?) normal stages,

and then another row of 5(?) stages, the first one another "battlefield" icon. (aka one of the freezing custom stages.)

Then I believe it's two more rows, 5 and 4, all normal stages.

I THINK.

So basically, 2 of the 10(?) custom stages are freezing for me.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
ur windboxes r gonna blow the ****** mulberry tree away

and sage, i just caught a typo...if you want to fix it, open the gct in any hex editor, search for the line 04052F2A 0709332C, and change it to 072B332C

ill have a fixed download up too, with a txt file and slightly more idiot-proof readme (though i must say the one i quickly wrote up aint bad for idiotproofing :p)

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Why is "Disable Custom Stages" in this build? Did I miss something?
the code is needed for the no homebrew method to work.

This has been known for like....2 months now?
k anyways....

and yeah MK26, i'ma fix that right now.

do I need to do anything else to make my custom stages not freeze?

EDIT: Mk26, it says "string not found" >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom