• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What. Where did you get that build? Where did you play this build at? There are no public versions released with warlock punch shooting a charge shot. I suggest you go back to using the public 1.6

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The thing is, it doesn't net a free hit unless ivy was being greedy and not flying to the other side of the stage halfway through the anim...
You're the PT expert here though, so I'd like to test your ideas first if possible.

But about your ideas, iirc we made the end upb cancellable

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i was playing some ivy today and i felt that b/c of her weight, size, and fall speed she gets comboed forever but on the other hand i also felt that once ivy started going she was a monster. so over all i felt ivy is pretty good and besides maybe a small tweak here or there (like a higher crit rate on razor leaf) she is very good. and yes i am saying ivy is a she idk why

I was also playing some pit today and i like him but i kinda feel he is a one trick pony. what i mean by that is he only has one good way of approaching which of course is his side B. If he is against a character who can stop that or if the person u are playing against figures out a way around it pit is in trouble. So i just kinda feel another way to approach would really help make him a done character. maybe something he can cancel in the air like nair or something like that,

i will post again if remember any other thoughts i had on characters today

GNKyrios

Smash Cadet
can i know how did this team fixed or prevented the bug where jumping on the edges made u fall before jump, so u end getting off with ur second jump?(that is on brawl+)

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
No, there currently is not. If I remember correctly, that glitch was in vbrawl or it is the fault of the no swap on death unless holding shield code.
It's an error with the game entirely. But yeah, even in vBrawl, Pokemon Trainer buffers things (most notoriously up-B) even after death so when the recovery platform comes up, it automatically uses it.

Just don't spam after death :p

GNKyrios

Smash Cadet
Are you referring to edge cancelling?
not sure, but i know its a reported bug on brawl+, try go running to the end of a platform, like if u wanted to follow or attempt to meteor a launched opponent, and jump right on the edge, u will "lose" your first jump. So i want to know what fixes it

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Idea for Ice Climber changes...
I main Ice Climbers in Brawl and Melee and after much discussion I came up with some pretty interesting ideas for changes to make to them that would make them a more interesting, fun, and better character.

Main Concept Idea: Fire Popo (lead) and Ice Nana (back-up)
-Most of Popo's moves would have fire hitboxes on them
-Most of Nana's moves would have ice hitboxes on them that may have high freeze chances

Smashes/Titls/Aerials:
Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, Utilt, Dtilt, Ftilt, Bair, Uair, Dair and Nair would get these changes and act the same as getting hit by any fire move when hit by Popo, in that they would send you flying away on fire, or they would send you flying away as an ice block if hit by Nana.

Specials:
Down-B Blizzard would have an interesting effect in that Popo would be blowing fire while Nana is blowing ice. They could maintain the effects that correspond to each. This means that Popo's fire may set you on fire (if that doesn't add to much hitstun), while Nana's ice would have a chance of freezing like in normal brawl

Up-b Belay could have the added effects of fire and ice as well. If Popo's part of the belay hits the opponent would be set on fire. While if Nana's section of the belay hit the opponent would be shot away as an ice block.

Neutral b Ice Shot- I have two concepts for this move. Concept 1: Each character Popo and Nana shoot out different colored Ice Blocks corresponding to there power. Popo's would be orangy/red and have fire abilities. Nana's would be normal colored and have ice effects. Concept 2: Popo shoots fireballs like Mario (slower then brawl-) while Nana shoots ice blocks, each with their corresponding effects.

Side-b- In theory the simple idea for this move would be a fire ice tornado. That coming into practice could be more difficult and the hit the opponent recieves could rely on which side you hit with. Programming that may be difficult, so I came up with an alternative idea which is, when the Ice Climbers are together, they would have a lightning tornado that has electric effects. While alone/seperated each would have the power that corresponds to them, in that Popo would have a fire tornado and Nana would have an ice tornado. Also the side-b should give the Ice Climbers more height and overall distance when seperated. Perhaps they can also be given the ability to grab onto the ledge if they hit into the ledge with side-b.

Other changes:
Taunt Saves- If Popo taunts then Nana should be returned to his side. She could vanish instantly (same as the animation she uses to disappear after Popo dies and she is left alone) and reappear next to him. It's a taunt, so it can only occur if Popo is grounded. Also it can only be done if Nana is still alive.

Hammer Color- Popo should wield a red/orange hammer, while Nana wields a light blue/white snow colored hammer.

*The name Popo is used in place of lead climber, while the name Nana is used in place of the secondary/follower Ice Climber. The effects would correspond to the lead and follower placements of the characters and not to the actual Nana and Popo.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i have a couple of g&w ideas.

1: most of his moves should be a little faster.

2: his b-air should have a sucking in wind effect that sucks in to the middle of the turtle, making the move harder to DI

3: his d-tilt should be like his melee d-tilt, it should send up and be a kill move at higher percents.

4: ether his f-throw or b-throw should be a kill throw. he needs one b/c there is a point were his throws become useless

5: his up-air should get a blizzard effect which draws the opponent to G&W, the closer the opponent is to the move the stronger the suction. so with this move G&W will be able to pull people towards him while still doing damage and having the opponent in hit stun so he can fallow up. Also since the move only has strong suction when u are close to G&W it is not some instant combo starter. I feel his normal up-air is kinda cool since it does dmg but at the same time i dont really feel its that useful.

6: i also had a funny idea about making one of his smashes shield cancel-able to mind game, or if its his up-smash or d-smash he can run start the move then cancel it into grab if the opponent tries to shield the smash.

Anyway i just kinda feel G&W needs some buffs and i thinks these might really help him put.

Also if something needs more explaining tell me b/c i am very tired while writing this so some of it might not make as much sense as i think it does.

Xyless

Smash Master
@Sorto: Having a dual elemental Ice Climber would be interesting, but I don't quite think that the general populous would like it. It sounds too much like a "PSA Character". Thanks for your input, though!

2: his b-air should have a sucking in wind effect that sucks in to the middle of the turtle, making the move harder to DI
The move is already rather difficult to DI, since whoever made the G&W we used from 1.5 onward made the DI multiplier smaller, if I remember correctly.

3: his d-tilt should be like his melee d-tilt, it should send up and be a kill move at higher percents.
Interesting idea.

4: ether his f-throw or b-throw should be a kill throw. he needs one b/c there is a point were his throws become useless
I can see making his forward and back throws getting more use. Don't know if they'll reach it to kill throws, though.

5: his up-air should get a blizzard effect which draws the opponent to G&W, the closer the opponent is to the move the stronger the suction. so with this move G&W will be able to pull people towards him while still doing damage and having the opponent in hit stun so he can fallow up. Also since the move only has strong suction when u are close to G&W it is not some instant combo starter. I feel his normal up-air is kinda cool since it does dmg but at the same time i dont really feel its that useful.
Just...no.

Thanks for your input, though! If you have any more ideas, I'd love to hear them.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
G&W's bair is still really easy to smash di imo and the wind box is not something crazy it would just kinda have wind inbetween ganon's up-tilt and wario's d-smash.

his up-air as it is right now is kinda useless, and i feel brawl- is about combos which makes a move that pushes away with no fallow up or even gimping use or kill ability is useless in the game.

his up-throw at lower dmg's combos to side-B so i wouldn't want that changed

Also even if u dont like sorto's idea for the ic's i like that at least he is trying to come up with something for them since they are pretty bad without their inf grab. so what ic's ideas are out there right now?

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Note on the Ice Climbers:
-I know the consensus for all these new community made smash games such as minus, plus, balanced, etc is to have very few or no chain grabs. The problem with this, is that this change really hurts the Ice Climber's because of their play style and their two in one character property.

-The two in one play style of the Ice Climber's give them inherent weaknesses and strengths. These weaknesses and strengths exist for the Ice Climber's in both Melee and Brawl because they are very inherent in the character type.

-Weaknesses as a Pair:
1) The largest and most notable weakness the Ice Climber's face is how easy it is to kill Nana because of weaknesses in her AI. This issue exists in both Melee and Brawl and unless their is an instant save Nana button, this weakness will always exist. Any Ice Climber player knows about this weakness and deals with it because of all the strengths they possess when they are together.
2) It is hard to combo with a pair of Ice Climber's outside of grab combos. This is because Nana can easily become de-synched on her own and it is often not wise to rely on her for continuing a combo if she has to keep up with the lead climber while he is in motion.

-There are many weakness that come from having a solo Ice Climber:
1) The power of a solo Ice Climber is usually weaker then most of the cast. This is because when the power of a solo Ice Climber hit is doubled it should only be slightly stronger then the hit of a standard cast member. If a hit was stronger or equal to most of the cast's attacks as a solo ice climber, then it would be much stronger (possibly unfairly) as a pair.
2) A solo Ice Climber is unsafe on shield. If the solo Ice Climber was safe on shield then a pair of Ice Climbers de-synched properly would be very safe on shield and possibly even have a few frame traps because of how safe they are separately.

-When the Ice Climbers are pair together they have many notable strengths. These strengths exist in both Brawl and Melee because they are inherent to the character.
1) There attack power (damage & knock back) is usually greater then most of the cast because the damages of both separate Ice Climbers are added together.
2) The Ice Climber become safe on shield. A Nana can protect Popo from being shield grabbed by attacking the grabber. They can also de-synch and time their moves in a safer manner.
3) The Ice Climbers are able to combo, mostly due to chain grabs and grab set-ups due to the lack of reliance in Nana being able to keep up with Popo (since they are not in motion).

*Now I suppose you are wondering why I did a write up. The main reasoning I did the write up was to inform the makers of brawl- that they kept all of the Ice Climbers inherent weaknesses but removed their most crucial inherent strength, their ability to combo as a team. They can't combo like standard character's because Nana is inherently unreliable. This leads to a few options of changes for the Ice Climber's if they want to have a competitive chance in brawl-.

1) Option one: The simplest option is to give the Ice Climber's a few boosts along with the addition of their infinite grab combo's (or at the very least, very good non-infinite chain grabs).

2) Option two: Make a solo Ice Climber as good at combo-ing, moving, attacking, camping, shield stun, hit stun, etc as a standard character and the pairing with Nana would just be for a slight bonus until she dies. Or just make Ice Climber's spawn as a solo Popo (but then you lose the variety of play style the Ice Climber's offered) with power equal to a normal character.

3) Option three: This is a strange concept I came up with and it may work for Ice Climber's, but programming it may be tough. I am not sure how much the programmers are able to change about Nana's AI programming. I argued earlier that the Ice Climber's have a tough time combo-ing because of a lack of reliability of Nana. Well to remedy this issue and to not give them chain grabs I came up with a change for Nana's AI programming. The programming conceptually follows these rules:
a)Nana will always tag behind Popo unless knocked away. If she is knocked away she will seek out to return to Popo. This overrides all her commands except for recovering from off stage and she will always attempt to return to Popo's side before anything else.
b) When knocked off stage, Nana will attempt to recover on her own. Once she recover's she will enter option (a) phase.
c) If the opponent is at a far distance from the Ice Climbers (distance determined by the progammers) then Nana will shoot Ice Blocks at the opponent regardless of what Popo does.
d) If the opponent is on the ground and near the Ice Climbers, then Nana will go for a dash attack on the opponent. She will continue to go for the dash attack on the opponent until the opponent is knocked into the air (e), grabbed(f), or Popo moves out of range and she goes into (a) phase. This is assuming dash attack pops the opponent upward. Also Popo is free to use any attack he likes during this time.
e) If the opponent is in the air and near the Ice Climbers then Nana will go for Up-Airs. Popo again is free to do what ever he likes. This will continue until the opponents hits the ground or a platform (d) or Popo moves out of range (a).
f) If the opponent is grabbed Nana becomes re-synched with Popo and you can control her actions. This means you can do a smash-grab in any direction you desire.
Options (a) and (b) will override most other options if the state that enacts them appears and option (b) will override option (a).
Option 3 allows the Ice Climbers to continue combos reliably without having chain grabs and gives them greater strength as a team.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing pretty much only this for the last month. A few things:

the game is substantially better balanced that regular brawl obviously. of the balance for the current version of this, luigi and bowser seem to be the best characters from what i've seen, although frankly i wouldn't change a thing about them.

wolf's fsmash frequently kills at 0%. i also see his dsmash flicker sometimes and he'll move several times REALLY fast. i have no idea what this is.

some characters are really missing the "I can do _______ to be obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious" appeal. things like pikachu bair or ganon's up b spike. so some characters like pit might be better but they're still boring. more stupid things like zard's rock smash would be awesome.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Dsmash flicker is not dsmash, it's angled fsmash.

& Bowser is definitely not the best character atm lol

flamekid

Smash Cadet
Right.. I have literally only one thing to say about Brawl- 1.6. MAKE A PAL VERSION.

Either that, or PLEASE PLEASE keep the brawl- 1.5 available to us PAL users who can't find v1.5 anywhere else, since I used v1.5 quite a while back and it worked, but I don't have the files any longer.

From what I found about v1.6, the only thing that stops PAL users getting it.. a simple XML file. I think. Don't hold me to that.

But anyway, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me a v1.5 link for Brawl Minus. If not, please work on a PAL verson for v1.6.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
For PAL, we have to go through every change we did for NTSC, and redo it for PAL.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i second this. since bowsers armor was reduced to i believe 10% he is honestly one of the worst characters in the game. because of his armor drop imo too many characters who he should be a counter for break through him and beat him. Plus even if u r a weaker character who has trouble breaking through him grabs still work.

In fact me and my friend were talking about what we thought a tier list would look like and we placed bowser in low tier. (the tier we did had the same amount in top and bottom/ then same amount in high/low and then the most in middle just so understand how our tier would look)

THIS IS NOT TRYING TO START A TIER LIST DISCUSSION ITS JUST AN ANECDOTE

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
If you're still taking suggestions, I was thinking that diddy kong's peanut gun could use buff to make it more interesting... I'll admit, I basically don't play diddy kong at all in brawl minus (despite maining him in vbrawl when I still played it), so I'm no authority on him nor do I know whether or not the peanut gun is particularly useful as it is... but just from what I've seen, I'm guessing it's not the greatest move. Anyways, could you make it so that every time you overcharged the gun and it exploded, a seed would be there to heal you? (I don't know how much it heals you... but you could adjust accordingly if the gun explodes too fast for this to be fair. Also, maybe a wind affect from the gun if charged to a certain point? (Edit: maybe adding a wind effect in the direction it's fired regardless of the charge would be an interesting buff) I don't know how useful it would be, but it'd be nice if there were better reasons to use it since it's fairly easy to catch when charged a small amount (albeit, I don't think it's useless to fire it uncharged, just not particularly great) and too easy to see coming when charged.... Maybe a faster charge? Obviously this would present problems if you did the healing deal, unless you could make it so it doesn't explode sooner despite charging faster.
Also, I doubt this is possible, but it'd be cool if you could make is so that mashing B when when Diddy Kong is boosting from his recovery, would make diddy shoot the two peanut guns downward like in his final smash (not being able to fly around freely, just being able to fire behind him as he recovers). They wouldn't have to be stronger hits like the final smash or anything, I just think it would be a cool addition.

EDIT: To further clarify what I was imagining for the up B thing for diddy... I was thinking if this would be done that it could be used as a gimp: the peanuts having little to no knock back (if any, hitting in the direction they were going like pits arrows) and little to no hit stun... And probably pretty low damage per hit, like 4%

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
so i was looking at smashmods forum and i was surprised to see that people think pits side B is to good and should be nerfed. I feel that since its his best and in some ways only approach its very predictable and b/c of that very easy to counter the move. But if the consensus is that the move is to good and needs nerfs might i suggest taking away its ability to reflect so projectile characters will no longer be stopped by this move. At the same time the move will still be useful but the pit will have to be a bit trickery with it. I still feel that pit needs another approach to truly be great but thats just imo.

Another thing i want to bring up is sheik. I have stated that i feel she is the best character in the game, which people tend to disagree with. I didn't understand why others thought she was not a top tier character but i think i might know now. I think there are no really great sheiks out there. This is not to brag and say i am the best sheik or something like that, i was just watching the JP combo video on the main page of brawl- on smashmods were their was only one combo done by sheik in the whole video. Now this was not a bad combo but if thats the best sheiks can do i understand why people dont think she is that great. So this leads to a question is that combo the sheik was doing considered very good/impressive or was it just an ok combo thrown into the middles of a combo video b/c it was solid?

On a related note i am going to try to get some of my combos up online but i am not sure when or if it will happen. I have to copy all the videos to my friends SD card so he can transfer it to his computer, then i need to find someone to edit the video. Also i dont save videos that often to it wont be a very long combo video so i might try to get more martial before i post anything. i just want to show what i am doing with sheik to find out if its as good as it seems to be.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
With list reflecting angel ring. That's in vBrawl, and I don't think we're going to remove anything that was in vBrawl.

Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
The reason why angel ring is over powered is because of the momentum it has, it is impossible to DI/SDI out before you get grabbed.
In that case couldn't u take out the extra momentum u get from moving before u angle ring, in that case u can still space pit. Pit would still be able to grab before u can di out but he would take up much less of the stage which i feel would be fair.

And this game has of course changed things from vbrawl. I mean u added armor to MK nado instead of keeping its stupid priority. Most of the moves in the game are changed from vbrawl but that is of course a good thing. I can understand not taking out the reflector on pits side B b/c its a clear nerf from vbrawl.

Lastly another thing i saw on smashmods is someone arguing about getting rid of sheiks invisibility b/c he has trouble knowing were he is. I dont think u guys are listing to him but just in case i will ask u dont take it out b/c i really like being invisible once u get use to it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Momentum on Pit's angel ring will most likely be reduced or have some other form of canceling. Sheik's invisibility is a touchy subject. We may or may not leave the invisibility as is. People will have to wait and see.(no pun intended)

NNID
Budget_Player
EWWW don't remove sheik's invisibility, it's great and you should feel bad for wanting to get rid of it.

bowser seem to be the best characters from what i've seen
Uh...

i second this. since bowsers armor was reduced to i believe 10% he is honestly one of the worst characters in the game. because of his armor drop imo too many characters who he should be a counter for break through him and beat him. Plus even if u r a weaker character who has trouble breaking through him grabs still work.

These. Grab him. Just grab him. Almost every character has the tools to deal with him easily; he's getting the **** buffed out of him. Bowser also has two, probably more matchups that are pretty much completely unwinnable for him (CF, Ganon; and I don't see CF ever really getting any better for bowser :() and several more that are getting there. I will say that he's a monster in teams with a DDD partner (not being affected by waddle dees = awesome for combos/other ****).

Xyless

Smash Master
BPC, we don't mean removing invisibility, we mean giving it more of a control. As in, having a legit input for it as opposed to every time you dodge, you become invisible.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
BPC, we don't mean removing invisibility, we mean giving it more of a control. As in, having a legit input for it as opposed to every time you dodge, you become invisible.
Well as long as i can turn invisible on command i guess that fine, on another thought if the same imput can turn u visible u might be able to make some fun combos since her moves have different angles and knock-back depending on if she is invisible or not.

Vro

Smash Lord
there is a bug with g&w, when i did fsmash and held A and down (i'm not sure exactly) he did the matchstick, then he pulled out a parachute with a smaller match in his hands. idk, but i think it has a hitbox and has to do with how you guys implemented parachute nair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom