• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Bowser Moveset Discussion, Move 16: Up B, Fortress***

Status
Not open for further replies.

B!squick

Smash Master
Lol, but SideB hopping is much more fun than plain old "full jumping." Besides, there's usually a better option than a fully jumped Bair. Uair comes to mind.

Sliq

Smash Master
Bair is a good kill move, and is considerably easier to land than up air.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I find that players seem to avoid Uair like the plague but routinely get caught off guard by Bair.

It's like a Bowser player destroyed them with a Uair ONCE and it stuck in their memory, but Bair is always a surprise.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Sometimes people seem to randomly fall out of it without DI'ing at all -___-
Happens at both high and low percentages, I think.

But yeah, it's good at shield stabbing, it does a lot of damage and has high knockback (can kill at around 100%), but its range and priority are pretty bad.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Players pop out of it, rarely, but I don't think it's because of the Smash DI. It's probably bad luck with the hitboxes.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
K

Down smash is one of Bowser's lesser used smashes. It's hitbox is balls, its knockback is decent at best, and the damage is ok. However...

His down smash is similar to Pikachu's. Similar effect, a suck-in down smash with decent everything. The difference is basically DI.

You CAN DI out of it. Although, it is nowhere near as easy as Pikachu's. I believe the DI is up and left (or up and right) I'm no 100% about specifics, but I'm sure you can DI it.

On to uses.

Down smash is mediocre at best. Mainly because of it's terrible hitboxes. It hits only as far as Bowser can reach, which isn't too far.

The best use for it is to punish rollers; ledge rollers or otherwise. Generally, dsmash can reach across the entire ledgeroll range. Thus you can trap them with it if you predict right.

Dsmash is an ok smash, but one of his worst attacks. It's pretty situational considering it's bad range, but it is an ok kill move, considering you won't use it a lot.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yep, you can escape Bowser's Dsmash, I was practicing it after I accidentally escaped from the CPU Bowser's Dsmash. I just quarter circle smash DI in some upwards direction and mash the Cstick up to get out (I honestly don't know the specifics about smash DI though, I just know that inputs = movement so I just put in lots of inputs:chuckle:).

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you guys are talking about his move. It seems everytime I see a Bowser D-smash, I kind of cringe. It seems way too easy to punish.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
I like bowsers D-smash personally does good damage and can kill. You can DI out but it depends which part you get stuck in. You really need to read your opponent well to pull one off though.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I like D-smash. I use it more than F/U-smash just because D-air comes out quicker and punishes a spotdodge well. I like to use it when my opponent is within range, because Bowsers D-smash isn't easy to DI out of. I mean, 18% or so isn't bad :)

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
I find that players seem to avoid Uair like the plague but routinely get caught off guard by Bair.

It's like a Bowser player destroyed them with a Uair ONCE and it stuck in their memory, but Bair is always a surprise.
Lol this is so true I rarely just pull of a random uair. The only time I really know I will land one is when I downB onto the ledge they get hit and I jump recover Uair them.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I use it on rare occasion with roll-happy players and spot-dodgers. It kills very well since I use it so infrequently, but you really need to LOOK for the opening to use it.

It's easily punished and the miniscule hitbox means that an enemy must already be moving into you in order for it to land, and in any case where an enemy is moving into you, you pretty much always have better options.

If a foe is falling into you from above after using their up+B, Usmash/tilt is a better bet. If a foe is trying to SHFA you, fortress has far less startup lag, can happen immediately following a powershield and you can DI away for safety.

The ONLY time this move is really useful is if you have a roller/dodger and you need something with a constant hitbox to catch them after they roll/dodge. Any attack from the air has better options which are more difficult to punish.

The move is basically a multi-hit fortress that can be DIed out of, has a slower startup, and is easier to punish due to lack of DI.

Sometimes I do the move in the middle of the stage when my opponent is far away from me just to bait them into attacking, at which point I powershield and fortress them. :p

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Fsmash is the god of punishing. It has epic knockback and damage and will kill around 80% on medium weight characters.

There are two hits in the fsmash the first is weak and leads into the second while it is stronger when both hits connect, hitting with the tip will offer superior knockback. It also has a much larger hitbox than it would seem as you can hit people hanging on the ledge after their invincibility frames have worn off, It'll make noobs think twice before idly hanging on the ledge when you're near.

The most awesome thing about it ever is that you can dodge attacks with the drawback animation at the start and then hit the opponent which makes it look badass. So if you are spaced corrextly and you can predict their move try using fsmash you'd be suprised how easy it is to do. That being said don't spam it and try to switch it up as keep it unpredictable and keep your opponent on their toes.

I also find it worth noting that I use fsmash to **** ledgehppers and it is very effective

Well i think I'll leave it at that, it's 3am I'm tired and I'm going to bed. :)

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
F-smash is how you punish random rollers. I usually don't charge it, unless I'm feeling totally cool. What Lord Bowser said is pretty much what I agree with.
Also, I'd like to say this move is totally epic and isn't slow at all. Just C-stick it out of nowhere and witness the speed. Bowser F-smash > Ike F-smash in Speed and awesomeness. It also draws the line between scrubbyness and being hardcore.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Wow, I didn't realize it was such a good move :p
Its rather big amount of lag has made me a bit cautious with it, but sometimes a surprise Fsmash is just great.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Boozer's fsmash is one thing that you cannot **** with. People will underrate it to a extent, that once you show them how to you do a gimpy fsmash, they will cry in tears. It works well when people are in the air who have poor air options like snake and predict a airdodge

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
<3

although i'm not particularly fond of the way my name is spelled since you're discussing that excellent fsmash i'll go bowser in the tournament i'm entering today

it's still the most damaging spotdodge in the game ;P

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
<3

although i'm not particularly fond of the way my name is spelled since you're discussing that excellent fsmash i'll go bowser in the tournament i'm entering today

it's still the most damaging spotdodge in the game ;P
Good to see you still play Bowser. Be sure to post your results in the tourney thread, as of now it's rather empty.

Now, regarding the F-Smash, it makes a great edgeguarding move when used sparingly. Bowser has a slightly disjointed hitbox for the F-Smash in front of his head, so when spaced properly near the edge it will hit people hanging on the edge or trying to get close to it. Most of F-smashes properties have been covered, so I won't get into that.

Sliq

Smash Master
Ledgehop air dodge to f smash is amazing, and people fall for it for no real reason.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i actually managed to sleep through the entirity of the tournament.

cool beans.

i don't believe i've ever done that - that's a new one for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom