• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser, Grab release thread [Flayl is a boss]

Have you recorded the attempts and counted frames?
No, but after testing it with Ixis countless amounts of times, in every situation possible where he simply just could not hit me with fair, we came to the conclusion it simply does not work.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Do you guys have Frame Advantage-data on all characters?
Like, how many free frames Bowser has on each character after a grounded Grab Release.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Hmm. That's odd.
Our Jab comes out at frame 8.
Ganon can Grab Release -> Jab Ness/Lucas, but all other characters Power Shields it.

Maybe it has to do with Bowser, and how he release them.
Oh, well the PK children definitely stay on the ground longer then anybody else in stun, Bowser has a HUGE frame advantage on them.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Hmm. That's odd.
Our Jab comes out at frame 8.
Ganon can Grab Release -> Jab Ness/Lucas, but all other characters Power Shields it.

Maybe it has to do with Bowser, and how he release them.
Ganon doesn't have Bowser's frame advantage.

More specifically, Bowser is the only one in the game to have this frame advantage.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've been having trouble lately landing grab release upair on Jigglypuff. :/ Should Bowser run forward slightly before going for the upair, or should he just upair as soon as he lets go of Jigglypuff?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ganon doesn't have Bowser's frame advantage.
Who said he has?

More specifically, Bowser is the only one in the game to have this frame advantage.
I know Bowser's Let go-animation has way less frames than the other characters'.

Most characters have a huge Frame Advantage on Ness/Lucas after a grounded
Grab Release, though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You found it odd that you can't jab people with Ganon out of grab-release, there is nothing strange about that, it's normal. Bowser is the only character in the game that has a shorter "let-go" animation.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
At first, I thought it was odd, 'cause I was told Bowser had 10 frames of advantage on all characters except DK.

And we have like 8 frames of advantage on Ness/Lucas, but less advantage on all other chars.
So, we don't have any garantueed options after a grounded Grab Release on those other chars,
since our Jab comes out at frame 8.

How big is Bowser's advantage on Ness/Lucas, anyway?
12 frames? 13?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
When Ground released, 34 characters have 30 frames of lag, the same number that most release-ees have when they release someone; the situation goes back to neutral in these cases.

However, two characters have 40 frames of lag when released: Ness and Lucas. This allows for the chaingrabs on them as well as the moves that characters can hit them with.

DK only has 20 frames when released from a grab.

Bowser has 20 frames when he releases someone from a grab, and Squirtle has 29.

(I think that's it?)

Flayl

Smash Hero
I dunno about the squirtle ting, but the rest is right.

Bowser has 20 frames of advantage on Lucas/Ness when they are ground-released.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I don't recall the exact frames Squirtle has when he's released from a grab, but 29's about right. Not enough to get wrecked as hard as the Mother boys, but enough to really, really suck. :(

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't recall the exact frames Squirtle has when he's released from a grab, but 29's about right. Not enough to get wrecked as hard as the Mother boys, but enough to really, really suck. :(
Actually Squirtle gets 29 frames when releasing from a grab. It means free jab on the whole cast (save DK).

And when air released everyone gets 50 frame of lag, meaning a 30 frame advantage for Bowser.

Also source : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209846

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Actually Squirtle gets 29 frames when releasing from a grab. It means free jab on the whole cast (save DK).
No, he doesn't get a free jab on anyone outside of Lucas and Ness. You have one frame to shield it. Most people just assume it's true because shielding on just one frame is difficult to do.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No, he doesn't get a free jab on anyone outside of Lucas and Ness. You have one frame to shield it. Most people just assume it's true because shielding on just one frame is difficult to do.
So Squirtle's jab comes out on frame 1,
And 30-29=1 so he's got a 1 frame advantage from ground releasing characters,

And he can't jab people out of grab release ? Am I missing something here ?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So Squirtle's jab comes out on frame 1,
And 30-29=1 so he's got a 1 frame advantage from ground releasing characters,

And he can't jab people out of grab release ? Am I missing something here ?
This is all the jab frame data:

-First
Hit: 1
Jab Window: 4-29
End: 16
Hit/Shield Lag: 5 | 4
Shield Hit Stun: 7 | 5
-Second:
Hit: 5 (9)
Jab Window: 9-30 (13-34)
End: 21 (30)
Hit/Shield Lag: 6 | 4
Hit Lag: 5 |
-Third:
Hit: 6 (19)
End: 36 (49)
Hit Lag: 6 | 5
Now I gladly admit I'm not a pro at frames by any means, but it's a known fact that Squirtle's grab release isn't a true combo. I've had all three of jabs powershielded by PhantomX many times.

It's one of the main reasons I rarely ever jab after a grab release any more.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Can't you mix jabs and grabs? The jab will hit if he tries to spotdodge right?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Does the hitbox remain strong on frame 22? If so yeah that would be a nice mixup.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we were advancing Squirtle's metagame in idle chatter.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Does the hitbox remain strong on frame 22? If so yeah that would be a nice mixup.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we were advancing Squirtle's metagame in idle chatter.
We're simply talking about something every character can do lol.

Ike could do it with fsmash prob, same with Ganon.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ganon you can just run away from a grab-release and he can't do anything.

edit: Better yet, you can punish him for grab-releasing you by using moves like MK's DSmash. "Foo, you ain't bowser, gtfo"

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Ganon you can just run away from a grab-release and he can't do anything.

edit: Better yet, you can punish him for grab-releasing you by using moves like MK's DSmash. "Foo, you ain't bowser, gtfo"
lol, urite, I forgot we were using squirtles jab as a mixup to create a spotdodge bait.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
we should add all the ground and air release we can do on sv's platforms, some are pretty nasty.
lol we can uair olimar after an air release.

also we can uair wario after an air release but I dont if it kills faster than an utilt or usmash.

I would like to help with that but I dont really know how to be sure if it works at 100%

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Do those GRs you mentioned work on all flat platforms, KK?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The GR SHUAir on Wario works on all flatplats, but how the **** do you UAir Olimar?

Top Bottom