• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss answers your mario questions(in style) UPDATED!!!! first PG

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Slight error. Fludding Marth's upb dosn't give him FIHL. It actually PUSHES him back which means fludd out prioritizes Marth's upb, which is why he's so easy to gimp. Yay...

Marth's fair and our bair and uair out prioritize each other, so you just trade hits.

You should also try throwing a few capes on the ground to throw his sideb off.

Now the bad news: both Marth's sideb and fair out prioritize our dair. So dair approaches are a no-no in the air and ground.

The starting slash to Marth's sideb starts out low, so always short hop it and punish.

Stay on him, utilt, and don't let him breath. Bair to stutter step, bair to reverse utilt, or bair to grab are nice. Try getting under him, he dosn't have alot of options from above.

Overall, he's a real pain in the ***. Especially campy Marths that abuse their range and priority. It almost seems as if there's a barrier that you can't cross or else he'll hit you, but you have to get in there. So it's best to stay on him and juggle from beneath him.
awesome, at least knowing that i can possibly trade hits with marth makes me a bit more comfortable. i always retreat when a marth approaches, which leads me getting juggled by his fair.. so our best bet is to pretty much focus on mario's ground game, SH juggles with uair, and gimping...

besides short hopping marth's sideb, if i get hit with it, which way should i mainly focus my DI besides that last hit? or is that my only option?

marioBROPRO

Smash Cadet
Hi, Im new here, and mario is my main, quick help :)

My first and foremost problem: Aerial's

I have absolutley NO idea how you get your b-airs off by doing D-THROW , UAIR, and somehow Bair

Second: Getting them down

I can EASILY combo people off the edge into the air above, but I cannot knock them down so I can ledge guard/edge guard, got any tips?

Im fine with cape, im pretty good with it in my opinion

Third: C-Stick, or Trig?
When using Ariels, is it better to use C-Stick or for example for UAIR Up on the joystick, then a at the same time, right now im using C

fourth: Gamecube, or Classic?
Is Classic Control better or worse than gamecube for mario (i have both)

Fifth: D-THROW combos
Well i always go for the standard D-Throw, U-Air combo, pops pretty niceley, but my problem is (and this strings with BAIR problem AND getting them down the stage) is that after I do 1 or 2 U-Airs, what do I do next?

Any tips or suggestions would be great :)

And if this question is annoying to you, sorry :(

Ismael

Smash Ace
1. You can't be facing someone and then hit them with a bair, the game dosn't work like that. Once you start with uairs and facing your opponent, your going to have to turn around eaither by landing on the ground, then turning around for bairs, or using a fireball/cape to turn yourself around while in the air. All these ways ar much too slow, though.

It's best to SHFL bair when facing in the other direction, but you usually can't actually juggle with bairs because of knock.

2. Just punish their advances with bairs or uairs if they try to go straight to the arena. Eventually they'll fall down lower to the ledge. Some characters are easier to gimp above the ledge anyway.

3. C-stick is good, so you can use the control stick to keep forward momentum as you do air juggling with the C-stick.

4. There shouldn't be THAT much of a difference, but I, along with many others, use the GC controller.

5. UTILTS!!!

dthrows are ok, but utilts are very good combo starters. As for what you do next after 1-2 uairs, be creative. Finish with a smash, or utilt for more uairs. It's up to you. So practice to see what you can do.

@ cHooKay: If the Marth player is extremely fast at mashing sideb and does dancing blade like a maniac, then trying to get out of it is practically impossible. Even with good DI. But if he stops for a split second in between even just one of his attacks, then you should be able to get out of it.

Aura_Fear

Smash Cadet
how do you UTILT? what is it lawl
Utilt = up tilt. Tilt the control stick up and press the A button.

My questions:

Is fludd useful other than when a character is in their frozen animation, and in some cases when a character is trying to recover?

I know that this one may be hard to answer since the tech is relatively new, but:
Aside from Pikachu's thunder, can the cape **** be used in a 1-on-1?

Ismael

Smash Ace
Utilt = up tilt. Tilt the control stick up and press the A button.

My questions:

Is fludd useful other than when a character is in their frozen animation, and in some cases when a character is trying to recover?

I know that this one may be hard to answer since the tech is relatively new, but:
Aside from Pikachu's thunder, can the cape **** be used in a 1-on-1?
FIHL stands for fludd induced hit lag, which makes a character slow down and "lag" when they use an attack that out prioritizes the fludd. This is another use for it. Especially against G&W and Rob.

Caping Pikachu's thunder isn't actually the "Cape ****" tech, sorry.
But on 1 on 1s, you can generally do a cape **** against a character that shoots a projectile at you, and as you cape the projectile, the cape has to hit your opponent also as he gets hit by the reflected projectile. Producing huge knock back.

Also cape Snake as he explodes from his own bombs, and the knock back will be deadly. (This probably won't ever happen with a good Snake player, though.) But you can use it after a Snake blows himself up with his c4 in order to recover.

But in most cases, a cape **** will be accidental in 1 on 1s. But in team battles it can actually be purposely used to it's fullest extent.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I don't know too much since I'm having trouble getting the cape **** down, but it should work on Brinstar, Norfair, and PTAD (PTAD is a great Mario stage anyway IMO, so it makes a great CP, and is probably the easiest to cape **** on).

Also, please...? Advice on how to fight Lucario? Anyone?

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I don't know too much

when he shoots his aura ball cape it. that should help. and cape his upb. like grab the ledge and do cape stalls. sorry f that was no help. its my birthday. i'm 20. ewww 20.my gf's a ****.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Heh, I don't know too much since I'm having trouble getting the cape **** down, but it should work on Brinstar, Norfair, and PTAD (PTAD is a great Mario stage anyway IMO, so it makes a great CP, and is probably the easiest to cape **** on).

-Don't try to punish his Fsmash if you didn't p.shield it. The ending lag is low, so only a p.shield will give you the time you need to punish it.

-If his AS is charged enough to kill you while you're recovering, don't fireball. AS beats fireball and is fast enough to punish the lag after a fireball.

-Keep ALL of your smashes fresh. Killing him early is vital in winning.

-Lucario players tend to rely on their rolldodge because of how epic it is. If you pick up on a pattern (after I block their Fair -> Nair, they rolldodge behind/away from me) then punish it.

-Don't be afraid to cape or Usmash if it's completely necessary. They beat alot of his attacks and can help you get in, but it's risky.

-Keep your Fludd charged. If he forced to use is upB on recovery, you'll need it.​

Other than that. He's just like everyone else. Just fireball approach, combo and kill.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to punish his Fsmash...at all. It won't happen.
You HAVE to punish his fsmash. You can perfect shield it and then rush him as Lucario has some degree of lag that you can get hits in if you sheild it right. This is one of Lucarios problems, that top tiers, like MK, Falco, and many others, can capitalize on.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You HAVE to punish his fsmash. You can perfect shield it and then rush him as Lucario has some degree of lag that you can get hits in if you sheild it right. This is one of Lucarios problems, that top tiers, like MK, Falco, and many others, can capitalize on.
kkz, edited. Much obliged

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey it seems like the best approach is to not approach. is this true?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Depending on your opponent's playstyle. Or, if they outcamp you, then you usually HAVE to approach, which I'd reccomend using fireball stun to aid in your approaching.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In some cases, yeah. Like against Ike.
But when you play an Olimar, you're pretty much forced.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
He does best at defensive. But he can switch to tank since hes so versatile. Things like Luigi/Mario, Mario is best kept at defensive mode, with fireball camp/Fludd/cape if needed. He's not that bad in finishers too offstage really, if everyone is offstage, jump off the cliff and go for a spike =D. Mario's fun in doubles :]

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
I have a question: Is it possible to cape a falco phantism midway? I was in the middle of a match when this guy used it like every four moves. I was able to cape him but only when i was close enough to cape while he was not in motion (after the noise but before the movement), but sometimes he would try to recover useing it and i would cape and he would go right through me without sending me down. :O

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
You can. I've done it. It's hard, though. you probably don't want to let him get to the height where he can do it anyway but if he does, you can cape him.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, absolutely. Falco's recovery suffers a lot due to the cape. You're better off nairing when he does that, confuse him, then cape when you're closer.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Random Question:

When you change the trajectory of Mario's up-b, does the vertical trajectory change as well as the horizontal? Meaning, if you up-b (near) straight up, do you go higher?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
When you Up-B with Mario, you can either pull the control stick backward or forward from the way you did the Up-B, and yes, he can go higher vertically or farther horizontally with it.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Hey Boss, need some advice against a Shiek player.

One of my best friends plays an extremely skilled Shiek and it's almost impossible for me to regain my footing after being launched in the air. With Mario's natural floatiness he doesn't fall nearly fast enough to beat Shiek's running speed, and even if I air dodge a juggle attempt his shiek is still generally fast enough to land and grab me in the air before I touch the ground. What are your suggestions for getting back on solid ground against an extremely fast opponent?

Also, I've been told Shiek is supposed to be very vulnerable to gimping, but I have yet to see how. Against my friend's Shiek he knows he can tether recover below my FLUDD line-of-sight making that useless, and any attempt to chase him results in him using the tether to immediately travel behind me or an Up-B explosion to the face. What are your thoughts on gimping a Shiek?

Oh, and if I were to utilize the lingering hitbox on my N-Air, would that stop an otherwise successful Shiek tether, assuming I hit him in the process of pulling himself upwards after tethering to the ledge? Or, do invincibility frames prevent that from happening?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Hey Boss, need some advice against a Shiek player.

One of my best friends plays an extremely skilled Shiek and it's almost impossible for me to regain my footing after being launched in the air. With Mario's natural floatiness he doesn't fall nearly fast enough to beat Shiek's running speed, and even if I air dodge a juggle attempt his shiek is still generally fast enough to land and grab me in the air before I touch the ground. What are your suggestions for getting back on solid ground against an extremely fast opponent?

Also, I've been told Shiek is supposed to be very vulnerable to gimping, but I have yet to see how. Against my friend's Shiek he knows he can tether recover below my FLUDD line-of-sight making that useless, and any attempt to chase him results in him using the tether to immediately travel behind me or an Up-B explosion to the face. What are your thoughts on gimping a Shiek?

Oh, and if I were to utilize the lingering hitbox on my N-Air, would that stop an otherwise successful Shiek tether, assuming I hit him in the process of pulling himself upwards after tethering to the ledge? Or, do invincibility frames prevent that from happening?
out space. if you are on a level with platforms try to get sheik on top of it and attack from below

and as for gimping it's all about timing if the sheik is going for a tether try to read it and grab the edge if they're going for an up-b read it, grab the edge and use your invincibility to avoid the explosion...if they land on the stage attack from the edge

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You shouldn't really need ledge invul to avoid the explosion though (since there's no hitbox when she reappears, only a windbox.). Everything else sounds good though.
Couldn't you also cape her if she comes at you in the air? (I think only her Bair and Uair outrange it, though I could be wrong.)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
You shouldn't really need ledge invul to avoid the explosion though (since there's no hitbox when she reappears, only a windbox.). Everything else sounds good though.
Couldn't you also cape her if she comes at you in the air? (I think only her Bair and Uair outrange it, though I could be wrong.)
I was implying that you can't just sit on the edge and get a free kill on sheik...and sheik does have an explosion when she reapears I've been hit by it
---
people act like the cape is the solution to the universe...you have to look past the short term...you cape a Sheik in the air...then what? Sheik's aerials are fairly quick so after you cape you probably have another aerial to worry about.
---

but yeah...just sayin'

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I was implying that you can't just sit on the edge and get a free kill on sheik...and sheik does have an explosion when she reapears I've been hit by it
---
people act like the cape is the solution to the universe...you have to look past the short term...you cape a Sheik in the air...then what? Sheik's aerials are fairly quick so after you cape you probably have another aerial to worry about.
---

but yeah...just sayin'
Let me guess, you got hit by the first hit, then she reappeared and your trajectory changed? That would be the windbox. Go try it, the second hit does no damage (I used to think the same thing until my friend actually proved it to me).

---

Yeah, but since her controls would be temporarily reversed, wouldn't that stop her from juggling you?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Let me guess, you got hit by the first hit, then she reappeared and your trajectory changed? That would be the windbox. Go try it, the second hit does no damage (I used to think the same thing until my friend actually proved it to me).

---

Yeah, but since her controls would be temporarily reversed, wouldn't that stop her from juggling you?
ok I've just confirmed what you said...which pisses me off...cause I've been over predicting for some time now anyway...I'll get someone in here to finish off everything else

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Sheik's aerials are very quick minus the Dair which is useless. The cape, more often than not won't stop Sheik from reeling off another quick aerial.

Now for the question on gimping, without the tether recovery, Sheik is mildly easy to gimp because there's no hitbox on reappearing. The wind won't magically blow Mario of the ledge if he grabs it. Yes, cape is dangerous to Sheik, but it's still possible to correct yourself even if you get hit by the cape by reversing your directions and basically making yourself backwards. Monk has had his fair share of capes against me and I still make it back.

FLUDD, I'd hate to say, is useless in gimping so long as tether is around. Even if you get Sheik with it, more times than not, Sheik goes up and will make the stage so it'll be rare to gimp Sheik with FLUDD though not impossible.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sheik's aerials are very quick minus the Dair which is useless. The cape, more often than not won't stop Sheik from reeling off another quick aerial.

Now for the question on gimping, without the tether recovery, Sheik is mildly easy to gimp because there's no hitbox on reappearing. The wind won't magically blow Mario of the ledge if he grabs it. Yes, cape is dangerous to Sheik, but it's still possible to correct yourself even if you get hit by the cape by reversing your directions and basically making yourself backwards. Monk has had his fair share of capes against me and I still make it back.

FLUDD, I'd hate to say, is useless in gimping so long as tether is around. Even if you get Sheik with it, more times than not, Sheik goes up and will make the stage so it'll be rare to gimp Sheik with FLUDD though not impossible.
Ahhh... I see. So what CAN Mario do to avoid being juggled?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Can't you Nair/SJP out of it too? (I don't play this matchup often, so I'm not too sure...)

However, I meant juggled in the air.

Top Bottom