• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss answers your mario questions(in style) UPDATED!!!! first PG

BkMan

Smash Cadet
BOSS whats your most hated character to giht(besides metaknight nd DDD)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lol, what kind of question is that? Are you taking a survey or something?

Famous

Smash Champion
Fighting a decent snake is annoying...Ftilting out of shield...Sometimes they don't even have to tech chase of a Dthrow due to the fact that the Ftilt has such range...

I find myself having a hard time beating a really good snake...That's why I say I'd rather fight MK rather than Snake...Though I did almost 3 stocked a snake...but it was with Luigi IMO

Famous

Smash Champion
Ike? Must be a good one around there if you don't like fighting him...

On battlefield I don't even fireball camp against DDD anymore...I just rush him...

Ketchup17

Smash Rookie
Boss, the cape and the FLUDD are the only things that i can't use comfortably, whats your advice on how to improve on these skills

and i'm with you, it's fun making Mario look good to people who said he stinks, mario forever

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ike? Must be a good one around there if you don't like fighting him...

On battlefield I don't even fireball camp against DDD anymore...I just rush him...
Kirk, best Ike in the US in my opinion.

I also can't find a way around his jabs. Its annoying. Its not like i lose, I still believe Mario has the advantage but his jabs are so freaken annoying.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I honestly hate Ike, but he's not too difficult. He's greatly affected by Fludd and cape, lol.

Most Ikes play with their mind set to jab for damage, then tilt for kills. Make a wall of bairs and fireballs.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
I have a quick question, is it easier to cape glide or ACE or whatever when you hold the analog stick in the direction of your desired glide? Or am i Mindgames'ing myself

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Hey Boss. Quick question. Know anything about the Pit and Zero Suit Samus match-ups? I don't play those characters too often and since I'm in the same region as Snakeee and Rouge Pit I figured I should be brushing up on them.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I for some reason have a matchup problem with Zelda, mostly the ones who like to spam smashes and Nayru's Love.

Any tips?

Edit: And Pikachu....probably my worst matchup problem.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I'm having real trouble lately against Link, Samus and DDD users cause of their many ranged attacks. Any advice?
omg I know Link really well. It can be an annoying match up with his projectiles and range but Mario has waaaaay more then enough to beat him. Cut back and SHFireball approaches because once Link catches onto it he can SHZair and go right through the fireballs and into you Mix it up with normal Fireball Camping and Fireball approaches, try and use some aerial approaches too. Link has a lot of range and killing power in his Fsmash and Link players will spam it out of a retreating pivot boost to keep you away. Caping his GB destroys all his other projectiles he will try and use after that so the only thing you should really be worrying about are his bombs (Difficult to cape.). If you manage to get inside Link's comfort zone you can combo him extremely well into high %'s with Utilt's and grabs into aerial combos. Offstage is a joke, Link might be the easier character to gimp as Mario and there's no excuse not to. Link players like using their Zair in this match-up to prevent gimping so remember that and throw in some normal ledge grabs to gimp them too.

Ismael

Smash Ace
omg I know Link really well. It can be an annoying match up with his projectiles and range but Mario has waaaaay more then enough to beat him. Cut back and SHFireball approaches because once Link catches onto it he can SHZair and go right through the fireballs and into you Mix it up with normal Fireball Camping and Fireball approaches, try and use some aerial approaches too. Link has a lot of range and killing power in his Fsmash and Link players will spam it out of a retreating pivot boost to keep you away. Caping his GB destroys all his other projectiles he will try and use after that so the only thing you should really be worrying about are his bombs (Difficult to cape.). If you manage to get inside Link's comfort zone you can combo him extremely well into high %'s with Utilt's and grabs into aerial combos. Offstage is a joke, Link might be the easier character to gimp as Mario and there's no excuse not to. Link players like using their Zair in this match-up to prevent gimping so remember that and throw in some normal ledge grabs to gimp them too.
Link can easily gimp Mario as well. If Mario is a distance from the stage. Simply hop off the stage backwards and throw a GB at the ledge. It should bunce off and push Mario back. If that dosn't kill him on its own, a simple edge hog should finish it.

Question: How do you handle an over aggressive MK? Especially one that knows what he's doing and actually combos.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Link can easily gimp Mario as well. If Mario is a distance from the stage. Simply hop off the stage backwards and throw a GB at the ledge. It should bunce off and push Mario back. If that dosn't kill him on its own, a simple edge hog should finish it.

Question: How do you handle an over aggressive MK? Especially one that knows what he's doing and actually combos.
Gale Guarding is HIGHLY situational and can even result in an SD for Link i he does not time it right, most Link players don't use this as it's easy to see coming and prepare for. It's really only meant to be used on recoveries that fail as hard as Link's does. I play Link as much as I do Mario so I know what I'm talking about. Mario has A LOT more options off stage to mix up his recovery with then Link has to gimp him, like Cape Stalling. Link has a harder time gimping Mario then you would think thanks to the fact that a lot of Link's are afraid to chase someone off stage due to their horrible recovery that may not allow them to recover from a gimp attempt. Link's best gimping tools are his run off Nair (Weak Hitbox),his run off Bair to try and stage spike, and his arrows. Mario does not have to worry about being Bair stage spiked as often since his UpB is pretty fast, has a bit of a disjoint, invincibility on the start up, and very good priority.

Ismael

Smash Ace
Gale Guarding is HIGHLY situational and can even result in an SD for Link i he does not time it right, most Link players don't use this as it's easy to see coming and prepare for. It's really only meant to be used on recoveries that fail as hard as Link's does. I play Link as much as I do Mario so I know what I'm talking about. Mario has A LOT more options off stage to mix up his recovery with then Link has to gimp him, like Cape Stalling. Link has a harder time gimping Mario then you would think thanks to the fact that a lot of Link's are afraid to chase someone off stage due to their horrible recovery that may not allow them to recovery from a gimp attempt. Link's best gimping tools are his run off Nair (Weak Hitbox) and his run off Bair to try and stage spike. Mario does not have to worry about being Bair stage spiked as often since his UpB is pretty fast, has a bit of a disjointed, invincibility on the start up, and very good priority.
Good to know, thanks. I always thought that Link players would do something really smart like GB gimp to make up for their lack of a decent recovery. Nice to know I only really have to worry about a ledgedrop to nair.

Now if I can only I can get used to their bomb smashes. You'd think they have to throw their bomb first, but I guess not. XD

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Additionally, you can cape Link's boomerang so it shouldn't work anyway. As far as dealing with an aggressive MK, play defensive because even though Mario can keep up with MK, he still out-ranges you.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Force you into using your small cape boost prematurely? Along with cancelling your forward momentum if you already did?
Yah, unless you were hit at a really bad angle, you should have no trouble recovering afterwards.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Okay I need this one answered. Maybe I'm being ignorant, and don't get me wrong.. I'm a pretty GOOD mario now.

I've been facing this user who completely buffers marths arials and spams his sword dance. And I don't just mean carelessly spamming the marth's foward b, i mean wisely spamming it. He spaces out of my attack/grab range and pokes with it if I shield, if i attack he brings up his shield or upb's mario. side stepping leads to punishment. Fireball approaches are useless because he attacks them. I don't know, the main key of defeating marth is to get into range, but it seems **** near impossible in this case. He doesn't waste time with fancy movements, he just spaces with buffered arials and spams his forward b sword dance on the ground..

I need help with this match up, I didn't think it wasn't too bad until I kept getting spammed/combo'd to death... any advance tips?

Ismael

Smash Ace
Remember, Marth has no projectiles, so you can safely fireball camp and force him to approach, and punish his fairs with a few short hopped bairs. Once he's close, punish with utilt and uair combos (easy on the uairs though).

Don't forget to surprise stutter step him when he gets cocky with his range.

He's also easy to gimp. Fludd = FIHL lag = cape = pwned. If he goes for the ledge, quickly ledgegrap, and ledge cape to ledgegrab, when he upbs you'll have invincibility frames. He dies. Marth likes to abuse the speed of upb, but you can use it against him.

When recovering... don't go for the ledge unless completely necissary. He'll most likely fair gimp or dair spike you.

Don't be above him, he's most dangerouse when your above him.

Our utilt clashes with Marth's ftilt and A so if your getting in close for a utilt combo he can't make you gtfo so easily. If Marth gets you in the dancing blade, DI up and jump out of it, before he hits you with the final slash. The ending lag should allow you to retaliate.

And forget that Marth's B has slight start up lag, so as long as you space his fairs and shield his ftilts then you should always stay on him. Our extremely fast Dsmash is the smash of choice against Marth. Just remember to stay frosty.

Remember to read his moves. Seems like he sits back and retaliates everything you try, so you might be able to mess with him such as "doing the Boss". Run to him and then immediately throw out yor sheild once you get close. Shield grab.

Stutter step fsmashing isn't only just for use if you happen to be turned in the opposite direction, that simply makes it predictable. Quickly turning around and then immediately throwing a stutter step mid-fight really throws him off and makes him rethink his range.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was looking through Mario's frame data and came across his Up-b in this thread .

Super Jump Punch
Hit: 3-14
End: 40-ish
Invincible: 3-6
Shield hitlag difference: 0
Shield stun: 3
Landing lag: 30
Advantage: Ha ha ha.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that it started frame 1 or 2 (I forget) and it had invincibility upon startup just as with Marth's up-b. Is this frame data correct? Or am I misunderstood?
Thanks.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Remember, Marth has no projectiles, so you can safely fireball camp and force him to approach, and punish his fairs with a few short hopped bairs. Once he's close, punish with utilt and uair combos (easy on the uairs though).

Don't forget to surprise stutter step him when he gets cocky with his range.

He's also easy to gimp. Fludd = FIHL lag = cape = pwned. If he goes for the ledge, quickly ledgegrap, and ledge cape to ledgegrab, when he upbs you'll have invincibility frames. He dies. Marth likes to abuse the speed of upb, but you can use it against him.

When recovering... don't go for the ledge unless completely necissary. He'll most likely fair gimp or dair spike you.

Don't be above him, he's most dangerouse when your above him.

Our utilt clashes with Marth's ftilt and A so if your getting in close for a utilt combo he can't make you gtfo so easily. If Marth gets you in the dancing blade, DI up and jump out of it, before he hits you with the final slash. The ending lag should allow you to retaliate.

And forget that Marth's B has slight start up lag, so as long as you space his fairs and shield his ftilts then you should always stay on him. Our extremely fast Dsmash is the smash of choice against Marth. Just remember to stay frosty.

Remember to read his moves. Seems like he sits back and retaliates everything you try, so you might be able to mess with him such as "doing the Boss". Run to him and then immediately throw out yor sheild once you get close. Shield grab.

Stutter step fsmashing isn't only just for use if you happen to be turned in the opposite direction, that simply makes it predictable. Quickly turning around and then immediately throwing a stutter step mid-fight really throws him off and makes him rethink his range.
nice tips, on the priority/frame side though, does anyone know the mario bair vs marth fair data for priority or frames?

ohh and i can DI+jump out before the last hit of marth's foward b? Should I leave my tap jump on??

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't know for sure, but I think Marth Fair wins prioritywise. As for the speed, I'm not sure, but it would depend on what angle you come from. His hitbox starts up top, so coming from above would mean you get screwed.

Matt07

Smash Master
I was looking through Mario's frame data and came across his Up-b in this thread .

I thought I remember reading somewhere that it started frame 1 or 2 (I forget) and it had invincibility upon startup just as with Marth's up-b. Is this frame data correct? Or am I misunderstood?
Thanks.
If I read your post correctly, I think Up B starts on frame 3, and we gain invincibility frames RIGHT from the start up (hence it starting on frame 3.)

But for some reason I have been hit out of up B (like I used up B, been hit and it just cancelled the move :psycho:)

I dunno for sure, gonna have to ask someone else with more techincal knowledge of Frame Data.

Ismael

Smash Ace
Slight error. Fludding Marth's upb dosn't give him FIHL. It actually PUSHES him back which means fludd out prioritizes Marth's upb, which is why he's so easy to gimp. Yay...

Marth's fair and our bair and uair out prioritize each other, so you just trade hits.

You should also try throwing a few capes on the ground to throw his sideb off.

Now the bad news: both Marth's sideb and fair out prioritize our dair. So dair approaches are a no-no in the air and ground.

The starting slash to Marth's sideb starts out low, so always short hop it and punish.

Stay on him, utilt, and don't let him breath. Bair to stutter step, bair to reverse utilt, or bair to grab are nice. Try getting under him, he dosn't have alot of options from above.

Overall, he's a real pain in the ***. Especially campy Marths that abuse their range and priority. It almost seems as if there's a barrier that you can't cross or else he'll hit you, but you have to get in there. So it's best to stay on him and juggle from beneath him.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Reality? Is that an expansion pack?

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to play against Lucario?

Top Bottom