• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bombsoldiers ROB

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
lolz hai red!

Ok WAY too much RAR! I used to do it a lot too and it's addictive and fun but it's just too slow. Plus you don't want it stale. Some of those should be replaced with Fsmashes and Ftilts. In fact I didn't see his use a lot of tilts at all. he wasn't really utilizing each of his moves which is important for ROB...

And how long has Bomb been playing brawl? I thought he went back to melee.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Lol at how I stumbled across this a day or so ago and wondered if anyone (besides sudai, who commented on it) had seen it.

Aside from the normal projectile use, it's ALL just back air, back air, back air. Up-B control was pretty nice for the most part, but without even seeing it all again, I know there's one point where Wario's at like 129% and yet another Bair taking him to 130-something% doesn't even knock him from the edge of the stage to halfway off the side. I think it's on the left side, and the percentage/knockback is kind of disappointing.

Oh well, at least consider it another "top player" (in melee) that we're better than =)

Sudai

Stuff here
Taking my comment from the vid...copy..paste..

I'm kind of disappointed with Bombsoldier's ROB. I was really expecting more from it. : (

NOT worth watching at all. We're leagues head of any Japanese ROB that's on Youtube at the moment..

I really really really just don't like how BS's ROB turned out. I expected a lot more when I saw "Bombsoldier (ROB)" and clicked the link.. :/

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
I wasn't here in melee days, so I didn't know Bombsoldier was a real player.

I thought he made his name 'Bombsoldier' because he used so many blast attacks like bair and nair.

=(

Sudai

Stuff here
Bombsoldier is the Japanese player that revolutionized Falco in the Melee days. Made him go from Mid > Top tier within one tierlist change as everyone basically copied him and it wrecked. lol

WinjaSauce

Smash Rookie
Too many Short Hop->Bairs imo. Could use more Spotdodge->Dsmash, as always an effective combo with ROB. Bit too much UpB too.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I honestlt think all of you are wrong. He's fighting wario....surrounding himself with hitboxes is how to survive.

He was negating Warios pressure game with those things, nothing he did wasnt smart. And Wario could SDI Dsmash into a fart easily. >_>

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think you guys are being pretty close-minded just because he has a different style.

Red has a point. Spamming bairs was shutting down Wario's air-game pretty well (except for that one time he daired and got clapped for it ... I hope his fingers just slipped :ohwell: dair sucks). OK, it didn't work as well as well-spaced tilts would have, but it was a fairly effective brickwall. Oh yeah, and he really needs to start paying attention to stalemoves.

From what I can see, Bombsoldier just really doesn't like fighting on the ground, which is kind of a shame because that's where ROB really beats Wario, but at least we can see a different style in action.

I really liked his use of up-B. I've really been trying to incorporate this type of thing more into my game lately (not because of this video though, this is the first time I saw it).

Sidenote: Bombsoldier is the reason I dropped Falco as my main in Melee. When those vids of him vs Ken's Marth came out, there was a huge rush of people picking up Falco, and I just can't stand playing a popular character.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I know bairs are effective, but I used to spam them too much and I KNOW what's better. If he wanted to wreck Warios air game he could have used more fairs (above wario.) I agree bairs are a great choice in the matchup but theres a line to cross...

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You can never have too much Up-B, so long as you don't run yourself out of fuel and get gimped off the side for it. He didn't. It gives you such great aerial control you can basically just sit in your opponent's biggest blind spot above them and ait for them to do something punishable, like MK can do to so many people hovering over people with DAir spam. It lets you do rising (or stationary) aerials at any time, too. I like that he continued to use it so aggressively.

One thing I don't see people do hardly at all is use (uptilted) FSmash as anti-air, which is a shame because it actually covers ROB's supposed diagonal "blind spot" very well. It destroys Peach's float game and Ness's approach, for some examples. And BS... didn't use a single FSmash the entire game until the kill at the end of the video. How disappointing! Of note, he also could've saved himself a whole lot of trouble if he just grab release-USmashed Wario instead.

And lol Snake ditto, Snake doesn't get the kill until 270%...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
One thing I don't see people do hardly at all is use (uptilted) FSmash as anti-air, which is a shame because it actually covers ROB's supposed diagonal "blind spot" very well. It destroys Peach's float game and Ness's approach, for some examples. And BS... didn't use a single FSmash the entire game until the kill at the end of the video. How disappointing! Of note, he also could've saved himself a whole lot of trouble if he just grab release-USmashed Wario instead.
ROB has angled fsmash, angled ftilt, SH fairs, and even utilt to cover his 2 oclock. He really doesn't have a blindspot there at all.

And ROB can't grab-release Wario if the Wario knows what he's doing and doesn't mash out.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
For some reason I thought Wario air released automatically. *hmph* I'll save face by saying he still should've let him struggle to see if he did air release, and he should've been pummeling to unstale BAir enough that Wario would actually go off-screen when he's hit at the edge of the stage with it. ;/

OverLade

Smash Hero
**** his strategy would be outcamped in USA, but his control of ROB is awesome. I liked the up B's
I think his play style in this match is more to do with him fighting wario then anything else. I really doubt he'd be floating above the stage and trying to surround himself with hit boxes against less pressury characters.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
It is an interesting strategy to say the least. I wish I could get my hands on some more vids of his ROB, to see if it was matchup dependant (as RH said), or if that's how he normally plays. It seems that he is just trading off the KO potential for B-air with that of F-air, as I think he only used it three times the whole match as opposed to most people here using it much more than that.

Either way, pretty interesting stuff, and the Up+B use was excellent. That, at least, is worth copying/implementing.

HugS™

Smash Lord
LoL at this bombsoldier misinformation. Falco was not mid tier prior to bombsoldier.

Anyways, I got precisely what I expected from that vid.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think his play style in this match is more to do with him fighting wario then anything else. I really doubt he'd be floating above the stage and trying to surround himself with hit boxes against less pressury characters.
I just thought I'd let you know that after watching videos of the Wario, he's, well... not good... so take that into consideration before you ROBs decide to attempt to play the matchup like this.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I just thought I'd let you know that after watching videos of the Wario, he's, well... not good... so take that into consideration before you ROBs decide to attempt to play the matchup like this.
Wow, you're really saying a top player in japan isn't good after watching some videos. Way to epically fail.

If you think you can even judge his skill from the video and you're saying something like that.....then you cant be helped.

NilliX

Smash Apprentice
I would have to reiterate what others have said: too much bair.

Now it's a great edgeguard at high percents, but BS was using it to try and hold Wario back at around the 40% mark, and knowing Wazza's recovery, that's not going to kill him. Much better off WoPping fairs into a reverse bair at the blastline.
And there was one occasion in particular where Kite missed a grab or something, and was open to a grab, a jab combo, or possibly even a cheeky f-smash. But instead Bomb just RAR'd away from Wario, probably trying for a hit but ultimately failing.

Needs to rely less on the bair to keep it fresh for when it's really needed.

That said, if he can really implement it into a ground offensive playstyle and effectively use other attacks to kill, it promises to get fairly ****. It's just an odd thing to keep using RAR'd bairs because they don't lead into any other moves. More of an offensive retreat/defensive manoevure than a full-on attack.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wow, you're really saying a top player in japan isn't good after watching some videos. Way to epically fail.

If you think you can even judge his skill from the video and you're saying something like that.....then you cant be helped.
Fox is top tier in Japan, they have different standards. I'm speaking comparatively to the United States. Fiction agreed with me. Stop meatriding.

For the record, M2K said their best MK wasn't very good either. Just b/c someone is the best in some place doesn't mean they measure up to another place with a superior metagame.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think all the ROBs here know that tilts are better for dealing with Wario than spamming bairs. It's just interesting to see a different style.

TEECO

Smash Ace
That video was most definately not worth watching. It got really boring seeing BS spamming Bair the whole time. May I ask why you wanted people to see that RedHalberd?

Yeah, he was aggresive, but not in a good way imo.

Watch Holynightmare videos or something..

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Bombsoldier was a ridiculous Falco in melee, Teeco. So it would have been interesting to see what he would do with ROB. Though resoundingly it seems we're not impressed.

OverLade

Smash Hero
That video was most definately not worth watching. It got really boring seeing BS spamming Bair the whole time. May I ask why you wanted people to see that RedHalberd?

Yeah, he was aggresive, but not in a good way imo.

Watch Holynightmare videos or something..
Bombsoldier wasn't aggressive, he was very defensive.

If you can't see how he's not playing extremely smart well....mabye you'll get good with ROB one day. What did you expect to see? He's fighting an aggressive wario for christ sake.

Oh, and Chibo is **** you guys should check out him vs. Ally.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I love his style.
Looks swell for mindgame potential.
And staling nair isn't a bad thing, we do that anyways usually the way we fight. He saves f-smash for the last kill which was quite effective. R.O.B. has plenty more than one option.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
To all of the people baggin' on his play style.... honestly its Bombsoldier I think he knows what hes doing. Just because hes playing really different doesnt mean it isnt good.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Never saw a ROB like his, he probably has the most unique ROB out there. I wonder if all ROB players play that way in Japan. There's a huge difference between North America's Snake and Japan's. I'm not sure how effective his style is but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on everyone, all those bair are way too predictable and he would have trouble killing heavy characters using that tactic. His aerial control is pretty impressive though.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I wasnt disappointed at all, not the least bit. BS seemed like he knew most of the match-up, he kept a constant wall against Kite and he didnt do it with projectiles (good thing) he kept it with big disjointed hatboxes.
He abused his Bair and Nair.... but I didnt see a problem with it. He created a huge wall abusing both moves properly. Kite had no choice but to switch his option, the only thing I was waiting for him to abuse were his tilt's.
But he got the win right.
Unfortunately I did see some poor choice making from Kite as well as some poor DO =[
But aside from that Kite wasnt that bad and neither was BS's ROB.

Top Bottom