• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bombsoldiers ROB

Dekar173

Justice Man
Everyone dissing BS' playstyle, how many of you are attending WHOBO? MM?

He was playing against one of (if not THE best) Warios in the world. Kite is a madman. And BS BEAT him.

I'm thinking you're all complaining about how he didn't use enough campy play to win. Um... Kite was on top of him the entire match, and if he wasn't, he was spaced properly to punish any and all projectiles that may have been used.

No top? That's because Kite is a Diddy player as well. You all need to watch this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hpyu85hncQ

Notice how he catches every banana ever? He's even better at gyro control.

BS did a **** good job at beating Kite, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd stomp half of you with handicaps on.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
We didn't say he was bad, he just had a completely different style than here in the states, so it caught our attention. But please take your fanboyism somewhere else.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Don't be blinded by fanboyism. The Wario was most definately not that good and BS used an ineffective strategy to beat him. If some randomer had posted this video, everyone would've instantly told him why he was bad, but because it's BS there are some BS'ers talking about mindgames and stuff.

Sudai

Stuff here
Everyone dissing BS' playstyle, how many of you are attending WHOBO? MM?
Me and I want to MM. $50?

He was playing against one of (if not THE best) Warios in the world. Kite is a madman.
lolno. Good, yes. Best in the world? Far from it.

I'm thinking you're all complaining about how he didn't use enough campy play to win. Um... Kite was on top of him the entire match, and if he wasn't, he was spaced properly to punish any and all projectiles that may have been used.
He -was- camping. BAir/NAir camping to be precise. Just not that good of a strategy. At least not the way he implemented it.

BS did a **** good job at beating Kite, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd stomp half of you with handicaps on.
"Handicaps" actually make it easier for the person without one. Combos appear for no reason.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Me and I want to MM. $50?

lolno. Good, yes. Best in the world? Far from it.

He -was- camping. BAir/NAir camping to be precise. Just not that good of a strategy. At least not the way he implemented it.

"Handicaps" actually make it easier for the person without one. Combos appear for no reason.
K. So, what day should we meet up?

Excellence

Smash Champion
Honestly, what the hell does it matter how he won? The point is he won and he'd probably be able to do the same consistently. The only point in saying "you should do this more and this less" is to make sure you win more consistently, but form what I've seen and heard, Bombsoldier does a good job of winning.

Sudai

Stuff here
K. So, what day should we meet up?
I don't care. I'm only going for the Tourney since Anime-Cons aren't my thing. Just look for me and we'll do it whenever we're not both in a tourney match. I'll be wearing Santi's Pink Playboy Goggles around my neck and will probably have a Chocobo in hand. Shouldn't be too hard to find. ; )

Honestly, what the hell does it matter how he won? The point is he won and he'd probably be able to do the same consistently. The only point in saying "you should do this more and this less" is to make sure you win more consistently, but form what I've seen and heard, Bombsoldier does a good job of winning.
Bombsoldier does an amazing job at winning, just not as ROB. He has tremendous player skill but his ROB, as depicted in this video is just not worth the hype everyone in this thread is giving it. He does not main ROB, he does not secondary ROB. Hell, ROB's probably not even his tertiary. Yes, he plays a good ROB for never playing ROB but that doesn't change the fact that it's not "OMG! He's amazing!"

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It has a lot of potential though. I though the up b use was great.
Except all you have to do when a ROB does that is stay on the ground, wait for a move, and then attack. If ROB goes to low, hit him because he can't air dodge.

Stupid stupid stupid

HugS™

Smash Lord
Except all you have to do when a ROB does that is stay on the ground, wait for a move, and then attack. If ROB goes to low, hit him because he can't air dodge.

Stupid stupid stupid
Overswarm, you just seem to have the most simplistic answers to everything.

It's a miracle you ever lose to anyone.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm, you just seem to have the most simplistic answers to everything.

It's a miracle you ever lose to anyone.
ROB is a simple character. Simple to play, simple to beat.

And I rarely lose ;p

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
True dat. ROB is so simple, you just need to know your opponent to win. Or at least make sure they don't know you.

HugS™

Smash Lord
ROB is a simple character. Simple to play, simple to beat.

And I rarely lose ;p
I was being sarcastic. If you do rarely lose, it's because of a lack of competition in your area. I mean, aside from your own account, I've never heard anyone hype you up under any type of positive light, at least not anyone respectable. But that's beside the point.

I'm just saying, if you're going to give simplistic and general advice, why don't you try speaking in broader terms?

Clearly "just waiting" isn't good enough. Your posts sound as if you are giving situational advice, but then you really aren't. So why not present some theory to back up your "general" advice rather than just acting as if your advice is situational, and as if this situational advice is universally applied to any and all situations.

Identity crisis all over your advice.

True dat. ROB is so simple, you just need to know your opponent to win. Or at least make sure they don't know you.
Well if that was the case, this entire game would be simple, as would Melee.

You're just saying things man.
Don't just say things...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I was being sarcastic. If you do rarely lose, it's because of a lack of competition in your area. I mean, aside from your own account, I've never heard anyone hype you up under any type of positive light, at least not anyone respectable. But that's beside the point.
My area has plenty of competition... I just only lose to a few people ever, and the only ones that beat me consistently are Anther (I'm excited about playing him again... I wrecked him for a while, then he wrecked me, and we just had a break so who knows?) and NOJ (WTF? G&W >:[).

I don't really have anything to prove; I've done consistently well since the start with two characters now.

I'm just saying, if you're going to give simplistic and general advice, why don't you try speaking in broader terms?

Clearly "just waiting" isn't good enough. Your posts sound as if you are giving situational advice, but then you really aren't. So why not present some theory to back up your "general" advice rather than just acting as if your advice is situational, and as if this situational advice is universally applied to any and all situations.
If I have to tell someone "shield if he attacks, attack him if he doesn't", they probably aren't bright enough to use the advice anyway. If ROB is floating above you, there is no attack he can do to interrupt you attacking HIM... so he has to attack early. You can easily shield if he attacks, then punish. If he doesn't attack, you can u-air, u-tilt or who knows what else as he lands on top of you as long as you aren't stupid enough to get in fair range. The guy has a blind spot the size of the moon beneath him.

So really... just waiting is good enough. ROB can't stay up there forever, and I don't think there are too many (well I guess one or two apparently) that need to be told "shield if he attacks you" and "ROB will run out of fuel". I wasn't exactly making a comprehensive guide >_>

OverLade

Smash Hero
Chill out kids.

This thread is about Bombsoldier, not your egos. =D

But yeah OS's answer was general, not to discredit hugs.

HugS™

Smash Lord
If I have to tell someone "shield if he attacks, attack him if he doesn't", they probably aren't bright enough to use the advice anyway. If ROB is floating above you, there is no attack he can do to interrupt you attacking HIM... so he has to attack early. You can easily shield if he attacks, then punish. If he doesn't attack, you can u-air, u-tilt or who knows what else as he lands on top of you as long as you aren't stupid enough to get in fair range. The guy has a blind spot the size of the moon beneath him.

So really... just waiting is good enough. ROB can't stay up there forever, and I don't think there are too many (well I guess one or two apparently) that need to be told "shield if he attacks you" and "ROB will run out of fuel". I wasn't exactly making a comprehensive guide >_>
There you go, now you're giving some real advice. You're explaining the theory behind your "advice". As opposed to before. I'm proud of you. :)

However, aside from just now, you keep give advice similar to Azen's/Isai's. Like, back when they would say things like "Don't jump into the ****" or "don't get hit"

It wasn't the clearest of advice, but their reputations supported the validity of the advice. It would be reason enough for one to trust it and try digging further into what they meant; to try and explore the theory behind their advice.

You don't get to do that. You haven't done anything to deserve that. I mean, even from the beginning you were doing that.

I remember when someone was b****ing about tripping, you actually said "walk, don't run". Wow, really? Good s***. You seriously suggested eliminating one of the most basic facets of the game entirely. Great advice.

I'll call you out on it every time you say something like that until you actually become respectable enough to where your advice can be trusted.
I don't want these kids wandering aimlessly into your posts as if you speak of golden rules.

And I'm not flustered or anything, these boards just need some action is all...
Or some more quality advice...
:)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There you go, now you're giving some real advice. You're explaining the theory behind your "advice". As opposed to before. I'm proud of you. :)

However, aside from just now, you keep give advice similar to Azen's/Isai's. Like, back when they would say things like "Don't jump into the ****" or "don't get hit"

It wasn't the clearest of advice, but their reputations supported the validity of the advice. It would be reason enough for one to trust it and try digging further into what they meant; to try and explore the theory behind their advice.

You don't get to do that. You haven't done anything to deserve that. I mean, even from the beginning you were doing that.

I remember when someone was b****ing about tripping, you actually said "walk, don't run". Wow, really? Good s***. You seriously suggested eliminating one of the most basic facets of the game entirely. Great advice.

I'll call you out on it every time you say something like that until you actually become respectable enough to where your advice can be trusted.
I don't want these kids wandering aimlessly into your posts as if you speak of golden rules.

And I'm not flustered or anything, these boards just need some action is all...
Or some more quality advice...
:)
All the ROBs that matter had the circuitry to realize "walk, don't run" was:
A) a reference to a bonus you got from previous smash games
B) advice for when tripping is an issue, such as moving quickly while near an opponent

Not simply removing running from the game.

If you are too simple to think for yourself, I will do my best to make it clearer for you. My sincerest apologies. I still give advice such as "don't get hit" and "don't jump into the ****" because it is better advice than temporary variable-based advice. If you are giving advice that is specific, you are failing unless it is a specific situation. You'll simply confuse the one you are helping and stunt their growth if they can't take the next steps for themselves.

Spoon-feeding is not how you help someone. This is coming from an education major. You have to make them do it themselves. Azen and Isai didn't give advice like "don't get hit" or "don't jump into the ****" because they were stupid and couldn't think properly, they said it because that is honestly how they thought. Same with me. That's why I do well, and that's why they dominated the early melee scene. Overcomplicated advice like "don't jump the moment they hit you off the stage" is bad, because it sometimes IS the best idea to immediately jump. But only with an attack, except when they think you will, then you don't want an attack. And only against certain characters in certain stages. And make sure they aren't baiting you.

You see what I mean?

All you have to do when a ROB floats with his booster is stay on the ground, wait for a move, and then attack. If ROB goes to low, hit him because he can't air dodge.

I'm sorry if you need me to go through each and every situation with every character to let you know which characters have u-airs ROB can nair through and which ones are too fast, and to know how to read your opponent to see if you can do a hovering nair to falling nair. I apologize for not explaining the concept behind shield poking and how to know if your opponent will spot dodge, as that is important information. I can go on and on and on for you if you need me to explain, but I assumed you'd be able to take the general advice and apply it to every situation.

I should go tell the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" people to fix their advice because they didn't tell me how fast to roll and I might not use water because of their advice. They should be more specific, because expecting someone to use two brain cells is asking too much.

So, sorry to hurt your brain. All the other ROBs seem to be doing fine though.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Oh you think this is for me? No, I know how to find the useful parts of advice. I know how to defer meaning from advice. This is not for me.

This is mainly for people who may wander in here thinking your advice is made of gold when it isn't. That, and you post with this arrogant attitude, like you've done anything other than win an online brawl tournament within a month after the game's release.

See Overswarm, you have to defend your advice like every other person who hasn't done anything. This is only a difficult concept for you to grasp because you actually think you have done many things of merit. But look at it this way, if PikachuPlayer69 started posting on the ROB boards saying "just wait, stupid"/ "all you have to do is not let him back in the stage, idiot" then you'd see how one could have a problem with it.

I mean, you imply that people are stupid for not understanding the game the way you do, when you haven't really done much of anything outside of your region.

And if you have, you haven't done so to the degree to where it is known outside of your region, which makes the accomplishments minuscule anyways.

I mean, if your region was the East Coast, or Southern California, I'd understand your arrogance and the merits of your accomplishment more easily, but you're not from either of those 2 regions. Not to say the Midwest is bad, but it isn't the proving grounds when it has lost tournaments to outside competition consistently when respectable people show up. And you switched to a new character because you couldn't do all those things you are talking about with ROB, yet you come in here as if it's all easy.

I mean, you don't even have experience or time in the competitive scene on your side either...

So yeah, on the contrary Overswarm, this isn't for me.
This is for you...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Out of everyone in southern california that is worth watching, you would not be one of them, Hugs. =P

You're a name from Melee. I'm a name from Brawl. I invented the character you're playing and almost singlehandedly got the ROB boards together and organized.

So =P

HugS™

Smash Lord
Out of everyone in southern california that is worth watching, you would not be one of them, Hugs. =P

You're a name from Melee. I'm a name from Brawl. I invented the character you're playing and almost singlehandedly got the ROB boards together and organized.

So =P
Which is why I don't say "just wait, stupid". I know where I stand at the moment.

I don't know why people take pride in just playing a character. You didn't invent the character, as it is hardly in its metagame stage. No, you just played a character first when everyone sucked in a region that sucked.

When everyone got good, you switched to metaknight. SO =p I don't see what there is to brag about, other than winning that online tournament.

You did get these boards together, true. But you're still full of puffed up talk. Let's not forget your whole "Metaknight is easy" argument. When you bragged about how easily you beat them. And I said it was because you weren't playing any good ones. All of a sudden, I was right.

Just keep in mind Overswarm, you were just the first to play ROB well. I'll be the one who plays ROB best. Trust me.

And LoL again @ inventing the character. There's still no proof that you were even better than me when the game first came out, despite the fact that I hardly played.

You know that guy DSF who ***** your region when he went there? I had beaten him at the time. That's just one reason why I don't get how you figure you were the best back then. Let's not forget ShadowROB was always better than you as well.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I feel like I'm watching an epic battle between Zeus and Hercules or something.

Spelling whoops

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
And LoL again @ inventing the character. There's still no proof that you were even better than me when the game first came out, despite the fact that I hardly played.
I will say this. In early Brawl, OS probably didn't have much influence over the top ROB players, just from the simple fact that they usually don't check the character boards and they like to fully explore their character themselves. But for the original "average" ROB players (like me) who came to these boards to find out more about their character and hopefully glean some tips from pros (because this is smashboards and has a reputation as THE place for competitive smash), Overswarm did "invent" ROB for us. He was the first one that we knew about who placed well and had tons of videos, and actually came on the boards frequently to help us out and give us tips. It doesn't matter if he was the best ROB at the time, because he was the only one actively helping the community. When he stopped actively posting here (blame MK :mad:), it was a huge blow to the boards, and some of us (mainly Sudai and me) tried to step up to fill the gap.

That said, I have mad respect for both of you, and other top ROBs like Shadow.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You know that guy DSF who ***** your region when he went there? I had beaten him at the time.
Me too. I didn't play him in tournament, had to play him afterwards in friendlies.

Not only am I one of the best known ROBs still even after only using him as a secondary, I've influenced his metagame more than anyone else. The only ROB out there that doesn't look like a watered down clone to someone who saw me first was MaxxxPower due to his unique aggressive style.

As for my "region sucking", MI went and placed pretty well at the last EC tournament they went to, and I beat all of MI with the exception of Anther... and Anther and I are pretty toe-to-toe.

Besides.... what have you got? You play in one section of one state. I play people from a dozen and have beaten every single person in the entire Midwest in multiple games in tournament. What have you done for the character? You just sit back and play a mediocre ROB and do things that we've already discussed and then waltz in and say "oh yeah, I knew all about that... figured it out all on my own... just didn't want to show you guys til you figured it out".

Did I mention you don't really post vids or help anyone out? Ever?

I don't even main the character and still help out from time to time. I tell people advice like "don't hover over someone with your up+b for no reason because all they have to do is sit there and wait", which is pretty simple and easy to understand. You write out a lengthy post to say "other people that have yet to say anything or ask questions might not understand".

:\

Sudai

Stuff here
I would like to point out that HugS never claimed to be amazing, just that he will eventually be the best ROB.

With that.

No flaming guys. Wistful arguing is fine, discussion of ROB is fine, but if there's any more flaming, I will have to close the thread.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
How do you get the laser to be, like... big, instead of small and skinny?

</lameattemptathumortolightenuptheunfoldingsoapopera>

****it... Sudai beat me and made an all... super official statement and stuffs.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Posting in an epic thread. *Facepalms at Dekar*

Nair is punishable, bair is safer, but if you get as predictable with it as that guy was, you'd get punished for it too.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Sudai the combo breaker11!!!!!11!eleven!elephantitis!!1

Meh, I can't say anything else now because it's officially off topic, but I don't think theres a divine answer to Mainging ROB yet. Some nice progression, but were not there. I still say playing the **** game helps the most.

Anywho... Bombsoldier.... Does the stuff I did a fourth of the way where I am now. Nice for Wario though. Needs more tilts and saving Stale Moves.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Why you facepalming at me you fake plumber?!?! I want a **** MM. I hate living in a dead state, this adds more interest to me going to WHOBO. My state consists of pessimistic melee players who can't comprehend why Melee is dying (yes, it's a fun game, but the community isn't doing much for itself, brooding about Brawl's existence and complaining all day) in our region, and lots of Brawl scrubs. There are a select few who are really worth anything, and they appear to be dying :[

Sudai, we've got ourselves a man date.

Top Bottom