• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bombsoldiers ROB

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I don't even main the character and still help out from time to time. I tell people advice like "don't hover over someone with your up+b for no reason because all they have to do is sit there and wait", which is pretty simple and easy to understand. You write out a lengthy post to say "other people that have yet to say anything or ask questions might not understand".
Overswarm said:
Spoon-feeding is not how you help someone.
Uh, no offense, but telling someone to just not Up B hover over someone is pretty much spoon-feeding. HugS looked like he wanted you to explain why, which you did much better in your more detailed explanation. Giving us, "Don't do x when y," is just spoon-feeding. Telling us why not to do x gives us detailed knowledge that we can then apply to other situations. Seeing as you apparently don't like spoon-feeding, you might want to try the latter more often.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Uh, no offense, but telling someone to just not Up B hover over someone is pretty much spoon-feeding. HugS looked like he wanted you to explain why, which you did much better in your more detailed explanation. Giving us, "Don't do x when y," is just spoon-feeding. Telling us why not to do x gives us detailed knowledge that we can then apply to other situations. Seeing as you apparently don't like spoon-feeding, you might want to try the latter more often.
Someone commented on BSoldier hovering with up+b. I told them that was a bad idea because all they had to do was sit there and wait. The rest is up to them.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yep, but it's still pretty simple to get out of as long as you're hit high enough. You can recovery from an area 30 degrees or so from FD, using Bairs.

noodles

Smash Champion
youd be going face first into an attack. especially if thats your only option

HugS™

Smash Lord
Someone commented on BSoldier hovering with up+b. I told them that was a bad idea because all they had to do was sit there and wait. The rest is up to them.
But that's kind of like negating Peach's entire floating game, even back in melee.

"just waiting" isn't as simple as you make it seem. Floating in place is a viable strategy with ROB.

Anyways I'm done with the whole argument thing, we'll continue this another time. That is, if you irk me again. I would like to play you for an exorbitant amount of money sometime in the future though.

I don't post too much advice because I seriously started being a "Brawler" only since January. I'm still learning. I can't claim to know more than all of you, but I will say I am fully capable of beating any of you even at my current state.

Since vids seem to do the trick, I'll get some of me vs Fiction and DEHF sometime soon since. I trust you know who they are, so it'd be a decent measurement of where I stand and why I say the things I say.

And as for playing in "just one state". You know **** well how big CA is, you know exactly how much of the West Coast is made up of my one state, you know that we are one of, if not the most active region in the states, and you know that I do encounter plenty OOS competition because so many people flock here to play in California. Oh, and SoCal hasn't lost a tournament in ages. So...I'll just let you rethink what you said about my competition.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I agree with HugS about the hovering thing. I've used it many times as a bait to lead to free fresh Nairs or Bairs.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I agree with HugS about the hovering thing. I've used it many times as a bait to lead to free fresh Nairs or Bairs.
Well I mainly only use it for Fairs.

See, the theory behind it is, your opponent is conditioned to believe that when you are coming at them full speed in the air, you will land with a fair.

So they will shield, or do a preemptive attack. You hover to wait until they release the shield, or until their preemptive attack is finish, then you come down with the fair.

I mean, it all depends on what you have your opponent used to. And naturally, spacing is a necessity.

I mean, just waiting isn't as easy as it seems for the opponent. Will they really sit there in their shield until it breaks or your fuel runs out? Will they even attempt an out of shield attack when they know you can drop Fair faster than they can attack you, since you are already in an attacking position?

Though, this doesn't apply to certain characters. Some will have fast enough fairs to react before you can. Be smart about it.

UNLESS you were speaking of hovering nairs or bairs when the opponent is above you. Then yeah, that ain't too bad either.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yea, as long as you're careful, Robo-Buster hovering adds so much to ROB's game.
Also, your avatar intrigues me. I can't stop staring at it.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've been messing more with mixing cross-ups between FAir > DJ past + BAir and FAir > Up-B and hover behind/above someone's shield till it deteriorates too much or they try to do something out of it. It works well on people with slow BAirs or UAirs (match-up knowledge and whatnot and blahblah) and I should have some vids of it in action soonish. The FAir > DJ BAir sounds weird at first, but it's actually rather nice. There's not many people the hovering up-b would work on, but I could see it being nice against a few. I just thought of something that'd make this better.. Reverse Up-B out of the FAir and float for a FAir. Would make for even more options.

The only serious problem with the FAir > Up-B + Hover is, as we all know, we're vulnerable during the beginning of our Up-B, but that's why we mix it up.

I've tried the just kind of floating in front of and above people a bit, but I've found it's not that useful once people get used to it.

HugS™

Smash Lord
The only serious problem with the FAir > Up-B + Hover is, as we all know, we're vulnerable during the beginning of our Up-B, but that's why we mix it up.

I've tried the just kind of floating in front of and above people a bit, but I've found it's not that useful once people get used to it.
Well that's the whole trick to it. Don't let them get used to it. It's just a viable option, not a fundamental basis of a ROB's game.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's like MK hovering above people spamming DAir or Wario whooshing around waiting for an opening. I think OS is just comes back here every so often to troll us. Of course hovering is viable. ROB can out-space most characters with his attacks anyway... and camp those he can't.

There's only so many ways to play a character. "Roar, everyone who shieldcamps and chaingrabs with Dedede must've copied [first big name player]!" The whole "inventing ROB's metagame" thing is lolworthy.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Myself, Kash, "the twins" (for lack of aliases to call them by, they just go by tw1n and twin_A) and Dark Meow probably.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You really don't want to hover against Wario though... we WANT you above us, lol.
What business does Wario have being on the ground anyway? It's not simply "this is what you do with ROB" but it is a viable mix-up or alternative to short hopping for spacing or approach.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I'm totally switching sides here. Bombsoldier's right with the Bairs. I just played CO18's Wario and trust me, if you're not covering yourself with back airs, you're not doing it right. Ftilt just doesn't cover enough space to keep up with Wario in the air. Wario can make you cry because he's kind of like a fast-paced, heavy jigglypuff. First match, smashville, I went with what I thought I knew, then I realized that tilts, walking away -> tilts, and shielding -> tilts just aren't enough. Bair is such a nice move in this matchup that by the end of it, it was almost as stale as BS's. Almost =)

I wish I could have saved the second match on Frigate, it was nice stuff. Third match, BF, Bairs help SO much. Waft killed me at the end, and Hugs is right about the camping/waft thing. All in all, Back air is a great move to spam here. It might not be pretty on video, but it's sure as heck effective

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Darth, using bairs is the perfect way to cover against just about everybody. What bombsoldier did wrong is use them repeatedly and lost the entire stage. It doesn't do him in any good... he could have just ran to the edge. Retreating bairs are just to regain the proper spacing, in all matchups.

Top Bottom