• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Good stuff Will. I agree entirely, I'm actually inspired by the Japanese to try and push DK further. I'm not sure where to start. I guess I'm going to actively try to space perfectly. I've been playing a lot of Fox and Wolf lately and noticed how much I like to space with them and wondered why I can't do it with DK.

So that brings up the question, how do I really space with DK? It's a little bit more than just "hit with the furthest hit of your hitboxes," there's some sort of secret to when to use what move that I don't quite get. Plus grabs are an important part of it obviously. How do you mix-up grab when DK's grab is slow and low-range and his melee attacks are so high range?

I've focused for so long on getting in and really close to people with DK, I'd like to change.

crifer

Smash Lord
Okay, so after learning a ton of new things at Apex and America being humbled by the Japanese in both singles and doubles... I think I'm motivated to start posting in here again.

I learned how to move faster with DK (inspired by Cable for being the fastest DK period and Mr. R bc of his crazy dash dance cancels all over the place), that aerial up b out of shield is a good option that needs exploring, and how to preserve DI while ledge jumping by canceling it with a jump+airdodge input (Shoutouts to Micaelis for that amazing tip!!!) I am so using that as another option to get back on stage with DK <3

Not to mention Mr. R's playstyle is so entertaining to watch with all his platform canceling that I was inspired to mess around with applications of instant platform drop though (z+down as you reach the height of a platform). So far it looks like DK can up-b shark the smashville platform and also use it to quickly regain his double jump so that he can b-air at least 3 times into an up-b back to the edge =D

Crifer!!! It was a blast hanging out with you dude! I'm so glad we got a bunch of matches in and I'm happy you were able to watch some of my matches/MM's. Thank you so much for teaching me how to SDI fox's aerials even more haha. I'll practice it, I promise. It's so awesome that you came to Apex all the way from Germany!!!! You've inspired me to travel outside my comfort zone, aka the US. Next month I'm going to Canada, but I want to travel out of this hemisphere to rival your travels. I hope you had a great time at Apex 2012 man ^_^

:phone:
I was so glad that we were having a good time together. And I´m really honored to inspire you to travel more. As I said your way of DK and playing smash in general is amazing. I like your mindset how you always try to find new options to different situations.
And I was glad that I could help you to improve your SDI skills especially against fox fair.
I had a really awesome time even though I´m horribly disappointed with my results, cause i know i can do better.

I´m also thankful to meet cable, he was so damn nice and introduced me to you, zero and other people. Cable your marth is amazing as well O.o

Cable

Smash Lord
Glad I got the chance to finally meet Crifer and Ripple nice meeting you gentlemen. It was a fun tourny overall wish I made it to bracket but I drowned 2nd pool ggz to San and Tyrant.

Congrats to WIll holding the DK torch in this tourny you did great.

And yea my Marth is pretty good I guess I'll try using him more sometime until then I'll keep playing DK and discovering new ways to use him

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Glad I got the chance to finally meet Crifer and Ripple nice meeting you gentlemen. It was a fun tourny overall wish I made it to bracket but I drowned 2nd pool ggz to San and Tyrant.

Congrats to WIll holding the DK torch in this tourny you did great.

And yea my Marth is pretty good I guess I'll try using him more sometime until then I'll keep playing DK and discovering new ways to use him
Your marth is crazy! I'm so glad I didn't have you or Micaelis in either of my pools I would have gotten bopped xD I'm scared of any DK main's secondary actually, you guys all know how best to avoid/counter stuff lolol.

Thanks for the props, I know I could have done better though. I needed to realize I was the only DK left in bracket and really give it my all. That loss to Fatal is still haunting me. *Tries to down smash out of shield to punish snake's short hop d-air and gets shield pushed into fast fall buffered d-air* x_x

Cable, we need to chill so you can teach me how to get better with Marth. I really want to pick him up a little more so I can beat Dabuz =P

crifer

Smash Lord
Your marth is crazy! I'm so glad I didn't have you or Micaelis in either of my pools I would have gotten bopped xD I'm scared of any DK main's secondary actually, you guys all know how best to avoid/counter stuff lolol.

Thanks for the props, I know I could have done better though. I needed to realize I was the only DK left in bracket and really give it my all. That loss to Fatal is still haunting me. *Tries to down smash out of shield to punish snake's short hop d-air and gets shield pushed into fast fall buffered d-air* x_x

Cable, we need to chill so you can teach me how to get better with Marth. I really want to pick him up a little more so I can beat Dabuz =P
And against wario´s who play the MU the right way ;D

D0N

Smash Ace
You've inspired me to travel outside my comfort zone, aka the US. Next month I'm going to Canada, but I want to travel out of this hemisphere to rival your travels. I hope you had a great time at Apex 2012 man ^_^

Go to AUS. You'll have fun and they are very hospitable.

And good job at Apex.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't even play this character and I don't know any of you.
I came in here because I am sexually attracted to the title of this thread.

Now I love you all. Full homo :yeahboi:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
It is an awfully nice thread title, it's a real shame that apex is over though. Going to need something clever soon and I don't think I can get away with "Martin Luther Kong Jr. Day"

Also I'm serious about spacing with DK. I don't know how we fight versus someone who's committed to just sitting down and watching what we do without getting awkwardly close to them, which is putting ourselves at a disadvantage.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Not sure if many people play wifi DK, but if you're up for some matches, just post! Also, guess I should introduce myself; so I'll fill out the form.

Real Name? Derek
How Did You Come Up With Your Gamer Tag? Uh, not quite sure actually. :x
Your Age; 14
Where You're From; Toronto, Ontario, Canada :D
A Picture Of Yourself; will upload soon
Favorite Video Games; brawl, halo series, a bit of mw3
Why Do You Main Your Character in Brawl? Do you attend Tournaments? Dk seemed pretty easy to use I guess, plus he was big and in my mind at the time big = better :x I'm only 14 so I doubt I'll be able to attend tournys. :p
Interesting Things About Yourself; I play baseball during summer, pretty much it. Lol.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
infinite ill ask D: looking on the negative side since I don't know how to get there and my mom wouldn't appreciate me getting a ride from someone online >.> but I'll try! All those pros there? :o I'll get my butt kicked for sure. :x

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
infinite ill ask D: looking on the negative side since I don't know how to get there and my mom wouldn't appreciate me getting a ride from someone online >.> but I'll try! All those pros there? :o I'll get my butt kicked for sure. :x
Yes, there are both pros and noobs. The best from our region, best of Quebec, some of West Coast, some of Nova Scotia and some top players from America (M2K, Vinnie, Will, Nicole, Logic) will be coming.

Don't worry about getting your butt kicked. It happens to everyone at their first tournament, just embrace it and try to get in as many friendlies as you can.
I got DESTROYED at my first 3 tournaments (I started in June 2011), but I stayed motivated and never lost the will to play, and now I'm 4th in our region. A good mindset is key ;)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oh, I don't usually play on Wifi cause my internet is so bad that my Wii can't connect.
Or I think somebody reset the password or something...lemme check.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well, it might be a while til I get it set up at my place, but in the meantime go here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235341

It's the social thread for our region, and most people in our region (even the good ones) play Wifi. Ask around, you'll definitely get in some good matches!

Edit: Also, if you want to, PM me your msn and I'll add you and we can talk more, so that we don't have to spam this DK thread with non-DK-related nonsense :p

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Haha! This has already been on my mind.
Nice to know other Dk's are thinking about it too.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Learning to GFSC like that would be pretty cool. I just really wish that footstools weren't so unreliable. I don't have the means or patience to practice that but if it works out, tell how it works.

I've been personally working on ways to get grabs and I feel they're extremely important for DK. I really hate DK's grabs, but his throws are so useful in every situation. As I said earlier, grabbing with DK versus an opponent dedicated to watching you is really difficult. It takes a lot of conditioning. I really think that's important. Conditioning people to get grabbed. Not entirely sure how conditioning works but I know I've been doing it. From there it's just picking the right way to surprise them and get the grab. Dash up shield grab is entirely usable and can catch a lot of people off guard. DK has bad traction, so when he shields like that he slides a lot further than you would expect, putting him into grabbing range. Empty short hop or just single b-air into land, grab are also good.

Another thing, I've been doing cargo out of grab like 7 out of 10 times. Cargo u-throw is great, I don't even have to explain why or how to use it. Cargo d-throw is something that needs to get used more though. Even like onstage. You just throw them at the edge. DK's stage presence is huge, them being stuck at the ledge is a huge advantage for you and will almost always net you an easy read. Not to mention if they're really far on the edge, you can go for things like charged d-smash with much less risk, since they'll slide off. Or if you're a gold star student you might even mix in some run-up grabs so you can get the regrab right at the edge, which is potentially deadly. Some characters are entirely destroyed by this strategy, like Olimar who doesn't have many means for approaching at you, and camping for him becomes impractical.

Excuse me for the length, I'd just really like to see other DKs work off of this idea.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Another thing, I've been doing cargo out of grab like 7 out of 10 times. Cargo u-throw is great, I don't even have to explain why or how to use it. Cargo d-throw is something that needs to get used more though. Even like onstage. You just throw them at the edge. DK's stage presence is huge, them being stuck at the ledge is a huge advantage for you and will almost always net you an easy read. Not to mention if they're really far on the edge, you can go for things like charged d-smash with much less risk, since they'll slide off. Or if you're a gold star student you might even mix in some run-up grabs so you can get the regrab right at the edge, which is potentially deadly. Some characters are entirely destroyed by this strategy, like Olimar who doesn't have many means for approaching at you, and camping for him becomes impractical.
This sounds like pretty legit advice.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I've done a total of 3 accidental tipper to GFSCs in tournament now, it's kind of a lucky thing. When I attempt a jab to get tipper, I'm usually not confident and afterwards I spam jump to get out of the situation. but if I actually did get the jab, then I end up footstooling, and it's hitconfirm and reflexes from there.
Hell, I may try actually going for it now.

And about Cargo d throwing, it's so useful no matter where you are. like Sold said, ESPECIALLY in the middle of the stage. It depends on the stage, but being in the middle with such a big character just halves options for many characters, and if nothing else intimidates opponents that you throw them away and run in to give them another beating.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
How in the world do you accidentally tipper jab to GFSC? That's like accidentally chaingrabbing with Ice Climbers. "Oh... I was just trying to b-throw them and... well I grabbed them again, look at that!"

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
it's a lot easier than you think when you have a bad habit of mashing jump to get out of situations. Just get the tipper, accidental or not, and spam jab. if they're at high enough percent they'll fly right into your jump and you get a free footstool. improvise from there lol.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
You must have the reaction speed of a god then. Confirming out of footstool is incredibly hard, the footstool animation is so fast and really ambiguous with the "I didn't actually footstool them" footstool. And then you have to get the input right, which is pretty specific.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I always thought the footstool was a pretty slow thing unless the opponent was I have the middle of a move. It's easier for me to recognize a footstool happening and prepare(if im on point, buffer) a move than it is to do many other things, namely certain kinds of defying. But my reactions aren't half bad either

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I can understand where Waldorf is coming from.
Foot stools feel slow, and for some people, they're able to react to them.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I love the feeling of a footstool as long as the opponent isn't in a move, it feels like a big BUMP where everything stops for a bit to me.
But when you're falling into meta's nado spamming jump and suddenly you're a skyward monkey, it freaks me out. also fun.

Top Bottom