• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Will and I got a photo, cuz he's an honorary Nova Scotian. :)

Didn't even see you there, Poke, haha. Saw Mar1 there.

And Lower Sackville, but I'm living in Bedford now. Whereabouts you from?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
[collapse=Stuff I said earlier]
So that brings up the question, how do I really space with DK? It's a little bit more than just "hit with the furthest hit of your hitboxes," there's some sort of secret to when to use what move that I don't quite get. Plus grabs are an important part of it obviously. How do you mix-up grab when DK's grab is slow and low-range and his melee attacks are so high range?
Dash up shield grab is entirely usable and can catch a lot of people off guard. DK has bad traction, so when he shields like that he slides a lot further than you would expect, putting him into grabbing range.
[/collapse]
You can apply that offensively in the form of dashing shield grab or walking a couple steps into a grab. I guess our fastest longest range move would be a RAR'd b-air. But shields play a big factor here too, so working in the zone your dash shield grab works in is important. I've been working on getting into and using the "burst range" of our dash shield grab and it's made a huge improvement on my game. Maybe RAR b-air would pay off too.

For us on a more defensive side I think it's important to realize that we can't simply stay out of their "burst range" to call our spacing good. If we get pushed closer to the edge, we lose the ability to stay out of that range. I think it's essential for this concept of burst range to work for us that we need to switch from staying out of their range to getting into our own range. Though, it is uncommon for characters to have more burst range than ourselves, so often we can be in our own good range without them being in theirs.

That's my opinion on it at least.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Rear Aerial Rush. It's when you dash and jump with your back moving forward. Generally you do a b-air out of it. It's hopefully something you already do but just don't know the name to.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
oook ook ahh AHHHHHHHHHHHH oook keehk kehkekhk ook *slowly peels banana*

Well there you have it, I've released my special AT for doing the invincible up B anywhere at any time
Just need to decipher it. hope you all have learned the language!

ook

Smash Lord
Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook.
Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook?
Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook.
Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook!
Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Banana's are so 2009. Crystal Coconuts are 2020 stuff. Other than that, the Oook Ook AHHHHHHH is Keeehk Kehkehk.

Bam, DK's metagame has evolved!

Ook went went through a lot of Ook Oook for that Ahah of a big post. I love it!

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
It seems like the Donkey Kong boards are extremely chill.

He's definitely becoming one of my secondary mains. Three spikes?? That's not fair ! :D

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
we are NOT CHILL
we are SO HARDCORE WE CAN'T EVEN HANDLE OURSELVES
if we're not posting it's because WE'RE BINGE TRAINING AND STUFFING TALENT DOWN OUR THROATS AT HIGH SPEED TO ADVANCE THE CHARACTER
NEVER GIVE IN
WOOF WOOF
HARDCORE AS ****

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I beat a ddd today using only ftilt, dtilt, utilt, bair, and dsmash. Aww yea.

Mind you it was bf and I platform camped the hell outta the match, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. ;D

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I always thought that no matter the skill of the D3, playing against him was basically the worst thing in the world
until recently
i found out bad D3s (or ones that think it's easy to grab DK when there are platforms/don't know matchup) are SUPER fun to play against. Just to watch them rage
timed out a D3 twice on smashville using only groundpound and bair. in the second game I used literally only ground pound and up B, no other attack moves. just to watch him rage.
it was first stock like 60% to 250%. love that ****.
at least I will until I play a good D3 and get wrecked :(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I always thought that no matter the skill of the D3, playing against him was basically the worst thing in the world
until recently
i found out bad D3s (or ones that think it's easy to grab DK when there are platforms/don't know matchup) are SUPER fun to play against. Just to watch them rage
timed out a D3 twice on smashville using only groundpound and bair. in the second game I used literally only ground pound and up B, no other attack moves. just to watch him rage.
it was first stock like 60% to 250%. love that ****.
at least I will until I play a good D3 and get wrecked :(
just become good and you won't care about the skill level of a DDD. only DDD to ever beat me has been coney.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I kinda want t wifi as the only time I'm done with work is at like 1 AM and noone's willing to play offline at my college.
I might get in some DK ****.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Prob bc that's the only good D3 you ever played =x I've lost to Atomsk, Coney, CO18, and Jband in tournament. The infinite makes it so much harder =l
Well yeah, wkth the infinite. I beat zekey in a $mm at apex for $10 with small step allowed

:phone:

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Neon - Lol, the beauties of tas xD

I can't beat any ddd really tbh, just the select few who only pick ddd to cg me. But I guess I'll learn. Well, since this is a social thread, anybody free to brawl right now?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't play online ruin but. I will tey to make time for you after march first. I'm currently a brawl minus developer and we need to be done by march 1st

:phone:

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
during the summer (may and on) I'll be wifi-ing a lot, I expect. there are verrry few people to brawl me when I'm not at college so I expect I'll be playing you ruinn lol
but **** wifiso bad
ugh

Neon!

Smash Lord
helpful hint- DK's need to stop focusing on getting their punch charged beacuse it puts us in bad positions way too often. There are also certain matchups where its better to rush them down at the beggining rather than charge the punch, EX: snake & diddy. its important to stop these characters from easily gaining stage control early in the game.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I never really charge the punch unless the opponent has zero long range attack options or even fast ones.
pretty much bowser and other DKs and stuff like that (prob not even DK). more important to start pressuring carefully with bair and other things.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
To add onto what Neon said, most sonic's like to charge right in at the beginning of the game, so at the start just do a nice down b, usually works for me and racks on an early 14%. :D

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Too skinny! Dk needs to be more buff, other than that, good job. :applejack:
Great outlining Sold2!
Am I the only one who thinks that the proportions there are freaking horrendous. His head is almost the size of his body.

helpful hint- DK's need to stop focusing on getting their punch charged beacuse it puts us in bad positions way too often. There are also certain matchups where its better to rush them down at the beggining rather than charge the punch, EX: snake & diddy. its important to stop these characters from easily gaining stage control early in the game.
We should have a list of match-ups it's good to have the punch in and match-ups it's good to just forgo the punch, but otherwise I agree with this concept. I feel Giant Punch is extremely strong vs Snake. I mean you don't want him getting stage control either don't get me wrong, but Giant Punch just does so much in that match-up.

I'll add that you should forgo the punch vs Sheik almost always, even when they're recovering. Not worth the time.

Top Bottom