• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Region?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Right. I knew that because it was just discussed earlier, and I planned to post it. Also, CO18.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I didn't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American, it's the only language I can understand!

So, as a side note...who are the people who have beaten Ally in a set? As far as I know, they're:

ADHD
Mew2King
swordgard
Hunger
ksizzle
mikeHAZE
DEHF
Azen
CO18

Anybody else?
Lain, also co18 wasnt in tourney though.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not really. Why would a $5-20 MM matter to Ally when at the same tournament he gets first and wins 50-100X more money? In the spectrum of earnings for a top player like him, $5-20 MM's are just...meh.

Also CO18 won a MM at Genesis vs Ally...and I believe the money Ally was using for the MM was provided courtesy of Panda with no responsibility to repay him. Panda just wanted some great players on the mainstage or something (feel free to clarify what I remember Panda/Ally).

Max Ketchum

The ksizzle MM was at a Smashfest, actually, so it's not like there were bigger winnings elsewhere for him that day.

Regardless, a set is still a set. Even Ally not playing at his 100% is a huge obstacle for most players.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The ksizzle MM was at a Smashfest, actually, so it's not like there were bigger winnings elsewhere for him that day.

Regardless, a set is still a set. Even Ally not playing at his 100% is a huge obstacle for most players.
Then what about friendlies.

Seriously, that way of thinking simply doesnt cut it.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
swordgard is right, if it wasn't tournament then its stupid to count it, the pressure is taken away, and don't give me some bull about a 5 or 10 dollar MM having the same weight of pressure.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea, if you beat Ally in a money match, it doesn't count for anything because he wins more money in other ways!

/facepalm

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It means you beat him in a MM.

Now beat him in a tournament.

Is there anyone here who actually thinks the two sets are of equal value?

swordgard

Smash Hero
I think theres a huge different seriously, if ally loses that MM , he wont care much.

If he loses that set in tourney, then his money is at peril, theres huge difference.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
A money match set is of great value. We count them in our rankings, as does NY and PA now.

It may not be the same as a tournament set, but an MM for $5 or more (Ally's with CO18 was for $10 on the projector in front of everyone with someone else's money, so I'm assuming Ally was quite serious) is still worth something.

Banks

Smash Hero
It means you beat him in a MM.

Now beat him in a tournament.

Is there anyone here who actually thinks the two sets are of equal value?
i don't think anyone thinks that....but when stating who beat Ally in a set, i think MM's are fair enough to mention along with tourney wins, albeit in a diff category.

those are still higly relevant on the subject of "who has beaten ally in a set". no one would come forth and say "hey i beat ally in a friendly one time". but saying "yea i wona money match vs ally 2/3 when ally played snake" is pretty legit.

i don't play brawl at all, but i'm just saying that if anyone beat m2k in a MM i would be impressed as ****, because he would never let that happen. maybe ally let's people win MM's and not tourney sets....idk.

Banks

Smash Hero
I think theres a huge different seriously, if ally loses that MM , he wont care much.

If he loses that set in tourney, then his money is at peril, theres huge difference.
so ally only cares about money, and not pride or w/e else. that is what ur saying, and it could be completely correct....

money matches usually mean more than 5 bucks to most people, it's about just saying you beat someone outside of a random friendly

friendly < MM < tourney

swordgard

Smash Hero
I still dont think MM is nearly the same as tourney, there is a huge difference in pressure for both players.
Ally on aim about mms about how seriously he takes em
(10:37:19 PM) allyornotally: im still not PUSHED
(10:37:24 PM) allyornotally: to win
(10:37:25 PM) allyornotally: idk lol

Max Ketchum

I don't think they're of equal value, but beating him in a money match certainly should count for something. It's not like there aren't tons of people who have tried and failed at that too.

Banks

Smash Hero
well it could be diff for ppl like him who win lots of money at various events, but for the majority of people a MM is something that means far more than friendlies and counts for a lot. some people even challenge others to money matches to make up for a tourney loss. lol

money on the line means something, maybe not to the guy winning thousands (i guess), but i would think his pride/reputation comes into play at some point when people challenge him to sets with money on the line.

Max Ketchum

well it could be diff for ppl like him who win lots of money at various events, but for the majority of people a MM is something that means far more than friendlies and counts for a lot. some people even challenge others to money matches to MAKE UP for a tourney loss. ha...ha.

money on the line means something, maybe not to the guy winning thousands (i guess), but i would think his pride/reputation comes into play at some point when people challenge him to sets with money on the line.
This. For sure.

Max Ketchum

Banks, was it you or your brother who was constantly referring to Nuro as "the guy from The Office" at SNES?

Banks

Smash Hero
Banks, was it you or your brother who was constantly referring to Nuro as "the guy from The Office" at SNES?
uh we both did at times but i don't rembember who was saying it with you there...i don't remember much of the evening hours >__> :psycho: i do remember meeting you though, i hope to see you at RoM or Pound4 =D

swordgard

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure the amount of pressure is completely different when playing for the 1st place at genesis as to when your playing a 5 bucks money match.

Max Ketchum

RoM is pretty close to my parents' house, I don't really play Melee but it was the venue of my first tourney (Crank Dat C-Stick Boy in December '07...RoM2 is in Nanuet still, right?) so I might show up if I'm home that weekend. I'll definitely be at Pound 4.

I was asking because I just looked through the pictures on my cell phone and found two photos of one of you two (upon closer inspection I'm quite sure it's th0rn) sitting with Nuro. I'm pretty sure your brother was incredibly drunk and he asked me to take a picture with "that famous dude from The Office", lol.

Palpi

Smash Hero
The last couple times I have watched ksizzle against ally either MM or tourney they were all really awesome matches and it should count for something, though tourney has a lot more weight.

Max Ketchum

Either way, it was pretty hilarious.

See you at some tournament (Dazwa has confirmed the th0rniness of the picture)

Banks

Smash Hero
WORD.
p.s. gameunicon was fun as **** =p
(despite the bankrupting of gameuniverse and the con artist in charge of everything)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How important a MM is compared to a tournament set differs not only from person to person, but from player to player (Some people would rather MM for $100 instead of getting 2nd-3rd at a tournament and make $100, while others want the satisfaction in knowing they beat people/placed well in a tournament setting).

For Ally, I personally think there is a difference between MM's and tournament sets, and that for at least him we cannot consider them as near equal worth.

Ally tries hard in tournament. He goes there not just to win money, but to WIN the tournament. If we wants a good shot at winning, he most likely would try to avoid fatiguing himself by playing too much or playing too intensely. Think about when he MM's people; he usually does it before tournament and he's usually more or less forced into MMing a large amount of people. Even if he is having to do MM's for $20 or larger, I don't think he is going to go into a MM with the same mindset that he would have in tournament, at least not once you get past 17th place or so in tournament where things start to really get serious.

Even if he wanted to, it's hard for a lot of players to treat MM's with the same mindset as an important tournament set. It's generally easier to go into a tournament setting with the mindset that "I have to win this" compared to a MM (especially the ones he usually does, $20 or less).

Now personally I do try pretty hard to win in MM's, and I can get away with playing at peak performance/playing really intense simply because I don't do many MM's and playing really hard for a set or two outside of tournament generally isn't enough to hinder me drastically once the tournament starts, but it's rare for Ally to MM less that 10-15, even 20+ people before a tournament starts.

So for him, I do think that his MM sets count less than his tournament sets, but with most things you have to consider all the aspects surrounding his Set and judge whether you think it counts as much as a tournament set. This evaluation naturally will differ from person to person concerning the same subject, and with different subjects it's reasonable to assume that evaluations will differ slightly with each different person.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I didn't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American, it's the only language I can understand!

So, as a side note...who are the people who have beaten Ally in a set? As far as I know, they're:

ADHD
Mew2King
swordgard
Hunger
ksizzle
mikeHAZE
DEHF
Azen
CO18
Lain

Anybody else?
Seibrik at Apex.

$50 MM vs Dekar. 3-0 me. :)

I like watching the vids. I am nasty vs Diddy, lol.
Beat ADHD first.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That picture completely invalidates my viewpoint concerning whether MM's should count the same as tournament sets.

Skler

Smash Master
Banks has a flawless memory of Gameunicon, and that's further proof that EC is the BEST REGION EVERRRRRR.

Seriously, we rule and Krystal wants Iceman.

Banks

Smash Hero
i just made that particular one, but if they r spreading (without text), then mango's facebook friends are ALL traitors =p

Top Bottom