• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Uh so? This is Nintendo. They love to surprise their fans. They could've at least done that! I learned others are theorizing Nintendo didn't show anything at the Game Awards because of them delaying Metroid Prime 4 earlier in the year. You know, so Retro Studios can develop it.
The point people are making is that because Nintendo and Sakurai didn't say anything about Smash, it's more-so the fans who hyped themselves up over this, thus you can't really give them that much heat. While Nintendo tweeting out to tune into the show was rather odd in hindsight, it was mainly the fans themselves who were hyping up a potential Smash reveal. So I guess it's more-so our own faults for not hyping responsibly.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I sure can't wait to play the brand new Banjo-Kazooie game on Xbox Series X that will surely happen

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I will not fault a single person for thinking a reveal was going to happen at the VGAs since logically everything lined up. Character 5 has to come before March, there's been at minimum of about 2 months between reveal and showcase, it's a big gaming event, its 6 months from E3 which is a great time of pace for updates or game announcements or acting like a follow-up to E3, it just passed 1 year since Ultimate's release, Nintendo told people to tune it and the biggest reason: there is already established presendance of a reveal at that VGAs with Joker.

So thinking a reveal was coming is actually perfectly reasonable concerning the situation. Not a guarantee of course, but far more understanding and realistic than thinking something Smash was coming from the Nindie's showcase earlier.

That said, the VGAs were dull and pointless this year. Best fighting game was pushed to the preshow, the actual awards came off as they thought they were padding themselves, Game of Year had no pomp, Nintendo's contribution was nonexistant despite tweeting the event, and two next gen consoles were announced and were not earth shattering reveals as they SHOULD be.

That image of the audience member asleep sums it up.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
TBH I think the reason everyone including myself was thinking there'd be an reveal is due to:ultjoker:but now it makes sense there wasn't one because his reveal at the VGA last year was last minute addition.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I will not fault a single person for thinking a reveal was going to happen at the VGAs since logically everything lined up. Character 5 has to come before March, there's been at minimum of about 2 months between reveal and showcase, it's a big gaming event, its 6 months from E3 which is a great time of pace for updates or game announcements or acting like a follow-up to E3, it just passed 1 year since Ultimate's release, Nintendo told people to tune it and the biggest reason: there is already established presendance of a reveal at that VGAs with Joker.

So thinking a reveal was coming is actually perfectly reasonable concerning the situation. Not a guarantee of course, but far more understanding and realistic than thinking something Smash was coming from the Nindie's showcase earlier.

That said, the VGAs were dull and pointless this year. Best fighting game was pushed to the preshow, the actual awards came off as they thought they were padding themselves, Game of Year had no pomp, Nintendo's contribution was nonexistant despite tweeting the event, and two next gen consoles were announced and were not earth shattering reveals as they SHOULD be.

That image of the audience member asleep sums it up.
What image?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well mates, Jonny Atma is gonna release a N64 medley.

Which B-K songs do you hope will make it in there?

TBH I think the reason everyone including myself was thinking there'd be an reveal is due to:ultjoker:but now it makes sense there wasn't one because his reveal at the VGA last year was last minute addition.
Also, in hindsight, we didn't get a Crash game reveal, mainly because there wasn't a "see you at the Game Awards" message with a mystery item, like for Reignited Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled, and they're likely planning to coincide with the PS5 and Xbox Series X's launch. Speaking of NF, it would be nice to have a simultaneous console mascot guest GP, at least this way we could get our duo in a racing game guest appearance that doesn't use their Nuts & Bolts look.

That said, it makes one wonder just how difficult FP5 is to make when we won't even hear of them until near February at most...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A guy who has never played a game in the series just got Project64 and is about to play Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. Wish me luck!
If you get the controls to work with the default plugin, could you tell me how? I tried a different plugin, but some actions go off on their own (like the camera) when using my Switch Pro Controller and it’s annoying...

-well, if you stick to keyboard, it’ll work fine; keyboard controls just aren’t as comfortable for me, and movement is limited...

I have the games on XBOne and N64, of course, it’s just it’s sometimes nice to play the games on PC.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If you get the controls to work with the default plugin, could you tell me how? I tried a different plugin, but some actions go off on their own (like the camera) when using my Switch Pro Controller and it’s annoying...

-well, if you stick to keyboard, it’ll work fine; keyboard controls just aren’t as comfortable for me, and movement is limited...

I have the games on XBOne and N64, of course, it’s just it’s sometimes nice to play the games on PC.
I'm doing fairly well with the keyboard (Z on space bar, R on E, C-buttons on WASD). Not a whole lot of problems aside from getting used to the controls.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm doing fairly well with the keyboard (Z on space bar, R on E, C-buttons on WASD). Not a whole lot of problems aside from getting used to the controls.
Ah, okay.

Using the keyboard is fine for me tbh, just I prefer the normal movement with a thumbstick instead of 8-directions, but it doesn't really matter too much I guess. For some reason, though, the default plugin for the controls doesn't work with a controller when playing the Banjo games, but it seems to work fine when playing anything else...

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You know what I can't stand in my Spirit Arenas? Players who lose to me getting salty and using glitchy custom stages to try and win! I hate it! Why hasn't Sakurai fixed Custom Stages yet?!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My tip is, don't let it get to you, staff is taking their time, sore loser players are still going to be sore, no patch in the world can fix those people.

At least they don't go in here to dab at you, or something else silly like that.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time has honestly given me a lot of perspective on just how much love and care their moveset got. I knew they used moves from their own games, but I didn't realize just how many were used, and seeing all their animations get reimagined and full of life in Ultimate must have been real special.

Managed to reach Bubblegloop Swamp, having a fun time so far. Feels like a combination of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of level structure and how you get collectibles. I also like the silliness of the characters you meet, Clanker being a particular favorite of mine so far.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time has honestly given me a lot of perspective on just how much love and care their moveset got. I knew they used moves from their own games, but I didn't realize just how many were used, and seeing all their animations get reimagined and full of life in Ultimate must have been real special.

Managed to reach Bubblegloop Swamp, having a fun time so far. Feels like a combination of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of level structure and how you get collectibles. I also like the silliness of the characters you meet, Clanker being a particular favorite of mine so far.
Ah, Bubblegloop Swamp. Lots of swamp, not enough bubbles or gloop. Lol

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I know this has nothing to do with Smash other than being a gaming character, but...

Power Rangers and video games are getting more connected! Chun-li Ranger for Smash Ultimate!!!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I always thought it was weird virtually no one commented at the time on how Cappy's mechanics are quite similar to Banjo & Kazooie's transformations--improved upon by making you able to transform at will, but restricted to certain areas.

Also, Tooie got rid of lives 17 years earlier. :chuckle:

Does make me hope if Threeie does come, that they improve on not just the originals, but modern platformers as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so you all heard about the new Xbox. It sounded like it's called "Xbox Series X", but the latter is actually just a subtitle headlining this new console generation.

That's right, it's just called "XBOX". You know, just like the very first one.

My god, I am convinced that the Microsoft higher-ups have no clue what they are doing at this point. The fact that Spencer approved this is worrisome.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Okay, so you all heard about the new Xbox. It sounded like it's called "Xbox Series X", but the latter is actually just a subtitle headlining this new console generation.

That's right, it's just called "XBOX". You know, just like the very first one.

My god, I am convinced that the Microsoft higher-ups have no clue what they are doing at this point. The fact that Spencer approved this is worrisome.
It was disappointing, since Spencer seems to be trying to correct ship after the disastrous last gen--since he became head, I could understand having to deal with the failures of last generation, but this gen it's his chance to correct things.

And things are getting better--after all, without Spencer, Banjo & Kazooie would likely not be in Smash. And who knows, maybe it signifies, as it has in film, that they're completely rebooting (that's a... generous read of the name). So, I'll wait until E3 to make a final judgement.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
It was disappointing, since Spencer seems to be trying to correct ship after the disastrous last gen--since he became head, I could understand having to deal with the failures of last generation, but this gen it's his chance to correct things.

And things are getting better--after all, without Spencer, Banjo & Kazooie would likely not be in Smash. And who knows, maybe it signifies, as it has in film, that they're completely rebooting (that's a... generous read of the name). So, I'll wait until E3 to make a final judgement.
I hope it sells. They deserve it for giving Banjo back.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Been playing through Banjo-Tooie again. I know people often complain about how Tooie feels "too big" at times but man I still find it impressive how Rare had so many levels that lead into other levels. This game was pretty ambitious for a platformer.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Been playing through Banjo-Tooie again. I know people often complain about how Tooie feels "too big" at times but man I still find it impressive how Rare had so many levels that lead into other levels. This game was pretty ambitious for a platformer.
I think “ambitious” is the best way to describe Tooie. It honestly should have been a Gamecube game.

If Tooie had a world map and objective tracker, itd be a faaaaaaaaaar better experience.

Its sad that we never got to see Rare learn from Tooie. Mario Odyssey, to me, is what Banjo Threeie could have been.

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Merry Christmas bear and bird fans. Stay safe and enjoy the time with your loved ones. (It's the 24th here in Australia :))

We recieved the ultimate gift earlier this year and for some, all our Christmases came at once on that glorious day.

Thank you again Santa Sakurai!

That's a Nintendo of America Xmas card from the late 90's. Another example that shows Banjo and Kazooie were a significant part of the Nintendo family.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Merry Christmas bear and bird fans. Stay safe and enjoy the time with your loved ones. (It's the 24th here in Australia :))

We recieved the ultimate gift earlier this year and for some, all our Christmases came at once on that glorious day.

That's a Nintendo of America Xmas card from the late 90's. Another example that shows Banjo and Kazooie were a significant part of the Nintendo family.
Uh...Link's smile seems a bit creepy...reminds of something....plus, he has the Master Sword, as Young Link.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Can't forget classic Nintendo characters in Ken Griffey Jr. (MLB) and Kobe Bryant (NBA).

It's pretty funny seeing real life sport icons celebrating Christmas with Nintendo characters, But in all seriousness man do I love seeing those classic late 90's and early 2000's promos/advertisements where Rare was a vital part of Nintendo's development teams and their de facto mascot Banjo-Kazooie was one of the faces of the Nintendo brand during the N64 era.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Can't forget classic Nintendo characters in Ken Griffey Jr. (MLB) and Kobe Bryant (NBA).

It's pretty funny seeing real life sport icons celebrating Christmas with Nintendo characters, But in all seriousness man do I love seeing those classic late 90's and early 2000's promos/advertisements where Rare was a vital part of Nintendo's development teams and their de facto mascot Banjo-Kazooie was one of the faces of the Nintendo brand during the N64 era.
Yeah! Seriously though... Link's smile is creepy...

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Got myself a new Xbox 360 controller for Christmas, so I can finally play Banjo games again. For some reason, I have never had an Xbox controller survive longer than a year.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy new years Banjo-Roos! Last year was an amazing year for us finally getting our bear and bird duo in Smash after two whole decades of waiting. Hopefully this new decade brings us a new Banjo-Kazooie game notably the long awaited Banjo-Threeie.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks for posting R RetrogamerMax because I have some exciting news I heard about while watching CanadianGuyEh's Spyro stream last night.

He's managed to land an interview with Steve Mayles. And yes, he's asked about what happened to Banjo-Threeie.

Once that gets uploaded, we'll finally get the answers we need, since fan-asked interviews are laxer.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thanks for posting R RetrogamerMax because I have some exciting news I heard about while watching CanadianGuyEh's Spyro stream last night.

He's managed to land an interview with Steve Mayles. And yes, he's asked about what happened to Banjo-Threeie.

Once that gets uploaded, we'll finally get the answers we need, since fan-asked interviews are laxer.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to you to KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 . I hope this decade brings both of us good times, memories, and goals we set to achieve accomplished. I can't wait to watch that interview it will be really interesting. :)

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Don't you just get one of those days where troll after troll, lag switcher after lag switcher show up in your arena? It just happen to me and it got me so mad!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Happy to say I make Top 5 consistently at my local tourney scene with Banjo and Kazooie, keeping the Banjo hype strong and alive.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Happy to say I make Top 5 consistently at my local tourney scene with Banjo and Kazooie, keeping the Banjo hype strong and alive.
Ay, that's great to hear. As someone who doesn't compete, but occasionally watches competitions, it was unfortunate seeing some players drop B&K, because they weren't the best. A bit deflating. They have a lot of potential, and can't wait to see what people like you do!

Top Bottom