• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ban brinstar and rainbow cruise

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Neutral stages are the most fair across the board in the sense that they have almost no influence on the conflicts.

A tournament is supposed to find who the best player is. This implies using the most fair rule-set to determine the outcome. Tournament placings are only as accurate as the rules.

If you disagree with the first one, you should be arguing pro-every-stage-but-hyrule-and-the-cloud-yoshi-level. If you disagree with the 2nd one you don't understand the fundamentals of a tournament. If you agree with both, you should be pro-neutrals-only. Any other stance has inherent double standards.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Agree with both of those statements but disagree with the conclusion.

Lets assume that there is a fighting game with two characters and two stages:

Character A beats Character B on Stage A 60-40
Character B beats Character A on Stage B 61-39

The game is clearly better with both stages on (at least imo), however by your definition we should play on just Stage A, because its the 'most fair' (provides the least influence on the outcome of the match).

Idk how this would apply to melee, since I'm not good enough or knowledgeable enough to understand how the stages affect the game and whatnot, but I just wanted to point out that your argument isn't really very logical.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
its a comparison and yes i took into account the subjectiveness. Read the last paragraph again, horrible horrible troll.

edit:

@riddle

Yes that is the ultimate conclusion. Some people already say BF only, because they believe that BF is absolutely the most neutral. I can see no evidence to support that, even though I personally find BF to be a stage I dont mind playing on regardless of my character.

Currently there is no strong argument for that at this time, but maybe if common opinion changes to BF being the best neutral then you will see BF only. In fact, Korea is BF and FD only and Japan is FD and DL. The logic isn't invalid or even unprecedented, but is still meeting that sort of resistance.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
i mean the whole thing is going in a circle
that "most fair way" your talking about doenst take into account character choice
really this thread shouldnt exist because its already happening. this thread is just a pathetic attempt at justification for doing it.

who needs a rebuttal for something thats subjective.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol seriously. I don't see how sveet is on his "high horse" either.

If we got it down to FD, BF, YS, DL64, PS, and FoD, we would still have more tournament legal stages than any other region, would we not (tied with Europe)? It seems like every argument I see for keeping RC, BS, and KJ64 also supports JJ, GG, PF, MC, corneria, etc. being tourney legal, whether the person making the argument realizes it or not.

I mean why is hyrule banned again? Dodging and powershielding fox's lasers is a legitimate skill that is tested on every stage, just moreso on that one. [/moderate sarcasm]

Doser

Smash Ace
i mean the whole thing is going in a circle
that "most fair way" your talking about doenst take into account character choice
really this thread shouldnt exist because its already happening. this thread is just a pathetic attempt at justification for doing it.

who needs a rebuttal for something thats subjective.
Pretty sure most tournaments did not take this thread into account if they decided to make this change at all , and I'm fairly sure Hax did not do this to justify anything. He wanted to start a discussion on this, because most tournaments have not banned the stages.

john!

Smash Hero
riddle's post already sufficiently refuted it. i'll do it too. suppose (in a two character game) we had one 50:50 stage, and two other stages that were 51:49 and 49:51. according to your criteria, only the 50:50 stage should be on, despite the facts that:

- the two other stages make the gameplay more complex due to the necessity to adapt to a greater variety of situations
- the two other stages together still make a fair game, although individually they are slightly unfair
- the more skilled player will still win >95% of the time regardless of stage... in fact, they may win even more often because the less skilled player may have found a degenerate strategy on the neutral stage.

although the counterpicks may make the game less "fair", they would test a player's ability to adapt to a wider variety of scenarios, rather than testing how well they can use a select few stages. i believe that is part of what tournaments should be designed to do, instead of just having a "fair" ruleset. this is a multiplayer game, and adaptation is a skill which should be rewarded even if it comes at the slight cost of fairness.

the only argument here is how much fairness we are willing to pay to increase the adaptation skill requirement of this game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Each starter stage actually gives advantages to certain characters, even battlefield, the question is what are we looking for in a starter.

You could argue that if we allow RC, BS, and KJ64 we are allowing others, but so? We can get to that road we we reach it and even then if a stage isn't broken I'd rather have it legal for stage depth unless the community was very actively strongly against them, although I'm sort of against KJ64 because I think certain characters can circle camp here.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
How can you make a valid comparison between melee and a 2 character game? We're not talking about 49/51 stages either, lol.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
AZ, what you said applies to all stages.
So why do people say it does (aka "Brinstar and Rainbow change the game")? Do I really need to pick through 800 posts in this thread to show how the argument keeps popping up?

I think stages that have the least amount of moving parts and possess some form of symmetry do the best job of providing a player vs player competitive atmosphere, which to me is a better form off competition than player + stage vs player + stage.
Play street fighter then. Smash is inherently player + stage.

so clearly the definition of a banned stage is more complicated than you or AZ are indicating.
In both Melee or Brawl, a banned stage is simply whatever the TO's agree to ban. There really is no logical criteria - as much as many try to justify actions post-ban.

AZ says something absolutely ****ing
********, gets rebutted, and now is yet to be seen.
It doesn't make much sense to respond after every post in a thread when I can wait a day or two and do it all at once. More importantly, your impression of being "rebutted" is quite hilarious. These are the same arguments that have been getting made for the past 5-6 years.

A poll would be nice... but at the end of the day all that matter is if tournament organizers want to ban the stages at the event.
This.

Neutral stages are the most fair across the board in the sense that they have almost no influence on the conflicts.
We realized quite quickly (like 2003/4) that there was no such thing as a "neutral" stage. It was to late to change the lingo though and now there are to many people (like you) who actually believe there is something intrinsically neutral about stages like Final Destination - when it is clear an extremely flat stage can add as much imbalance to a match as a stage with hazards like Brinstar.

---

Really the stage debate is basically a debate between norm and other. Stages that are flat or maybe just have some platforms and minimal obstructing elements are only seen as the norm/"neutral" because that is how its been perceived in the community for well over 6 or 7 years. The reality is if we had started playing this game with the flat stages in the Counterpick section, and the stages with hazards/odd slopes/etc in the "neutral" section, then the entire approach to the game would have been different.

On another note, way to many people forget that the entire point of advance slob picks is to allow you to change characters to avoid bad stages. To many people instead think they should be allowed to stay the same character regardless of stage weaknesses, and instead they want the stage banned because they don't want to learn another character. If you don't like fighting Jiggly or Peach on Mute, you could always have switched off Fox and gone one of those two characters, after all.

Again though, most of this is meaningless, if the TO's got together tomorrow they could decide to only use one stage for an entire tournament - they don't need logical or legitimate justification for banning things, and indeed they haven't really had this for several years. It became increasingly hard to explain to people why stages were banned starting in about late 2006.

---

Really, it's all preference. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Riddle

Smash Lord
How can you make a valid comparison between melee and a 2 character game? We're not talking about 49/51 stages either, lol.
I'm not comparing the two, I'm pointing out the fact that sveet made an invalid conclusion based on his premises. Its not necessarily best to play on only the most fair stage in the game and the most fair stage in the game alone.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
AZ, of course there is always some element of the stages in melee that each player must overcome. I know this isn't street fighter. The question is, how much stage BS are you willing to put up with? My answer just happens to be different than yours. I love DL despite the wind and the advantage it gives to certain characters because of its size. I love ys, fd, and even ps as well, despite their non-street fighter-ish (lol) attributes. I just think that stages where you can camp all day and win in a number of matchups (kj64), or where lava covers 90% of the stage (brinstar), or stages that force you to jump and give spacies if all characters a big advantage (rc) are a bit over the top.

john!

Smash Hero
az, are you saying that neutral stages are NOT more fair than banned stages, that it's just a false perception of the community? i can't really agree with that. the rest of your post is nice though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think he's saying that we don't pick stages based on MU's or things like that but rather stage traits. If we did on match-ups people could argue FD being CP which could be influential to a match-up. Heck even stages like Battlefield give advantages to some characters. So stater may not be neutral, but I don't think he's saying it means more or less fair.

Also Brinstar's lava covering the whole stage is only at certain, timed and predictable moments.

Granted CP stages like those do give advantages more slewed in some cases, but remember there are characters who perform well on neutrals and those who do well on CP stages.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Its not banned because of fox it's banned because fastest character wins. It just so happens that Fox is the fastest character with projectile so he's the auto-win on that stage. If Fox didnt exist Hyrule would STILL be banned cus it would just fall to the next fastest character.

Dont be dumb.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Its not banned because of fox it's banned because fastest character wins. It just so happens that Fox is the fastest character with projectile so he's the auto-win on that stage. If Fox didnt exist Hyrule would STILL be banned cus it would just fall to the next fastest character.

Dont be dumb.
Looool! Whatever man. Make sense next time.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not comparing the two, I'm pointing out the fact that sveet made an invalid conclusion based on his premises. Its not necessarily best to play on only the most fair stage in the game and the most fair stage in the game alone.
If you have proven that the match-ups are a certain value depending on stage, the only argument to use more than the absolute fairest stage (even if the difference is 1%) is that the change only marginally effects the outcome. This is basically admitting your ruleset isn't the most fair but saying "well, its pretty fair", which is true.

also, my conclusion is valid, i simply didn't explicitly state what you would be arguing for if you disagreed with the 2nd paragraph because there are so many things that could be.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Pretty sure most tournaments did not take this thread into account if they decided to make this change at all , and I'm fairly sure Hax did not do this to justify anything. He wanted to start a discussion on this, because most tournaments have not banned the stages.
thats completely obvious

hax didnt make the thread to justifly it because he thought everyone would just hop on and agree with him. when he had to actually explain himself he came to a impass. certain statements that werent answered like...

things arent "fair". they are the norm in games like street fighter.

nothing has been proven to be broken on these stages

the community has been playing on them for ten years

you can change characters if you that nit picky

strike the stage if you dont want to deal with it

but instead of looking at the signs they want to ban them
in the long run most people want them gone and its preference

people have started banning them at their tournaments

so why does this thread still exist?

because they dont want to seem like they are being trivial

this thread is really a pathetic attempt at trying to legitimately reason their banning of them. its shameful and should be closed

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
because i'm bored ill feed the troll

things arent "fair". they are the norm in games like street fighter.
The point of a tournament is to find the best player by using the most fair rules.

nothing has been proven to be broken on these stages
they marginalize skill

the community has been playing on them for ten years
humans used leeches for medicine for thousands of years

you can change characters if you that nit picky
so the stage is bad enough to force a character switch?

strike the stage if you dont want to deal with it
so imbalanced stages are fine if you give players the chance to ban them at the start of the set? whats the point of even having them on then?

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Blah blah blah

you call me a troll in a thread that has no meaning anymore
honestly that in itself is sad

your points are subjective. we already showed that you amount of marginalization is your own bar that no one can see. see circle arguments
comparing playing stage to medicine is a really horrible analogy

whining about the character switch and stage strike

yep i think that covers everything

Riddle

Smash Lord
If you have proven that the match-ups are a certain value depending on stage, the only argument to use more than the absolute fairest stage (even if the difference is 1%) is that the change only marginally effects the outcome. This is basically admitting your ruleset isn't the most fair but saying "well, its pretty fair", which is true.

also, my conclusion is valid, i simply didn't explicitly state what you would be arguing for if you disagreed with the 2nd paragraph because there are so many things that could be.
Your saying that you would rather play on a stage that gives one character a 55-45 advantage over every character than that stage and a stage where every character has a 56-44 advantage on him.

Clearly the 55-45 stage is 'more fair' but the GAME is more fair with both stages on.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
wait you didn't understand that i was referring to the logical fallacy appeal to tradition? Or are you just trolling more?

... i think its the second one ;)

edit-

Your saying that you would rather play on a stage that gives one character a 55-45 advantage over every character than that stage and a stage where every character has a 56-44 advantage on him.

Clearly the 55-45 stage is 'more fair' but the GAME is more fair with both stages on.
maybe if there was a case of that, i could look at that specifically. not only have you left the game of melee, you've left all games and are talking in pure theory that actually has no relation to this situation....

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
And once again we come down to a claim of skill marginalization as your most important argument, one based on limited testing and experience. How many people even know what the lava pattern is on Brinstar, even a little?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
And once again we come down to a claim of skill marginalization as your most important argument, one based on limited testing and experience. How many people even know what the lava pattern is on Brinstar, even a little?
skill marginalization is the basis for every ban, from hyrule to green greens to yoshi's island to corneria.

and yes i'm sure many people know the lava is a pattern on brinstar, but how is that important? Hyrule is a static stage.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion

Wobbles, what is the lava pattern? I have yet to hear a definitive answer on its overall pattern.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Haven't been in this thread for a while, but I'd like to mention that Kongo Jungle should DEFINITELY be banned. Camping is WAY too easy on this stage if you are a character like Peach or Jigglypuff. The barrel can be abused to no end as well.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wobbles, what is the lava pattern? I have yet to hear a definitive answer on its overall pattern.
Well I'm almost 100% sure the pattern is the same in Brawl and Melee since it was ported over,

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278839

There is a time table for it, at least in Brawl.

But again this assumes nothing was changed about the stage itself with it's pattern. To be sure it would require testing of the stage itself.

If it has a pattern it means it's not random.

skill marginalization is the basis for every ban, from hyrule to green greens to yoshi's island to corneria.

and yes i'm sure many people know the lava is a pattern on brinstar, but how is that important? Hyrule is a static stage.
Yeah but you have to draw a line somewhere, and determine what is too far.

Or make set criteria for what makes a stage banworthy.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Many of the claims regarding Brinstar's skill marginalization revolve around the lava. v The lava being "random" supposedly makes it impossible to play normally. Of course, if you always know when it's going to rise and fall, then that eliminates that argument, doesn't it? If at any point you know what it's going to do, you can hardly blame the level for screwing you over.

DF: I wrote it down somewhere but I'd need to either find it or re-transcribe it. You can check yourself if you like, just write down the times relative to the lava positioning. It's the same every time. There seems to be very minor discrepancies in the lava's height or timing (it might rise a tiny bit higher on one iteration, or be half a second late on another) but beyond that it's consistent.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I never thought it was random, nor did I even care. I just don't like how a hitbox covers 90% of the stage periodically, meaning someone WILL be hit by it. It's one hell of a hazard, no matter how you look at it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah but you have to draw a line somewhere, and determine what is too far.

Or make set criteria for what makes a stage banworthy.
so why is the line drawn between pokefloats and rainbow cruise? Why was the line drawn between flatzone and corneria 2 years ago?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I never thought it was random, nor did I even care. I just don't like how a hitbox covers 90% of the stage periodically, meaning someone WILL be hit by it. It's one hell of a hazard, no matter how you look at it.
The person getting hit isn't random. They are getting hit because they were the worse player or at the very least lost a critical exchange that resulted in their poor positioning when the predictable lava window approached. Getting hit by lava can only be blamed on the player who got hit, not the stage.

Niko45

Smash Master
the only argument here is how much fairness we are willing to pay to increase the adaptation skill requirement of this game.
I totally agree, but what I would argue is there's already a pretty huge difference between playing on YS and playing on DL64. Especially among high level players, the range of difference within the neutrals alone can certainly effect match outcomes. I would argue that we have plenty of depth already, since 99% of the depth in this game has nothing to do with stages at all and everything to do with the highly skilled players desires to get better and beat each other. Do you want to play on stages where you need to bait the opponent to get openings or do you want to play on stages where you get the opening for free because the opponent was forced to move out of position to avoid a stage hazzard?

If anything these CP stages detract from the overall depth of the game imo, because they DO marginalize skill.

Wobbles - here is what is random about brinstar lava: You can't control when you are being edgeguarded/edgeguarding. This means you could at any point get edgehogged and either survive or die at random. This is a pretty huge divergence from neutral stages where if you get edgehogged you just die. Nothing else is random about brinstar and it's not all about random random random. Even if you can anticipate the stage turning into only a top platform, there's only so much you can do. It forces people out of position and into getting hit based on positional advantages. There's certainly SOME skill involved in this but it is certainly not comparable to the amount of work you need for openings on neutral stages.

Top Bottom