• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
So me and A2 have been talking. We've figured that Lucas doesn't really need a kill buff, but needs a good set-up buff. Lucas lost one of his most important set-up buffs which was his d-air that was near gaurnteed, now he has to rely on luck and a lack of PS to score a KO off of that. That's all nice and well, but it's nearly not enough to compensate.

So after extensive thought, we thought that since he has a good n-air for poking and is still good and easier to land at higher percents when the opponet is trying their best to avoid f-smash and f-tilt and pivot grab, that making the final hit having low growth and moderate to low base KB would set the opponet up above him. This could then lead into a moderately buffed u-air (preferably killing at 140-150 on mid-heavies *Snake :p* from the ground. It wouldn't change his game much. It's much like the n-air buff to Sonic. I'd approve this buff alot and it wouldn't be too dramatic.
I'm just wondering, did anyone read this? I got no response from anyone or AA. I'd like to know what AA and the others think about it.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
you say mid-heavies then point out snake, who happens to be the heaviest,140 from the ground is pretty good, what is it now?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Well I don't think U-air should be too polarized :/

Right now it kills from the ground at 160-ish on mid/light.
But really this is supposed to focus on a set-up buff, the n-air's last hit should hit with low-KB and an angle change to put the opponet above him. We were thinking about downward (like the Sonic one, but Lucas has one of the worst techchases in the game).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have one interesting idea with Lucas at least, but I want to talk to Thinkaman about it first. Lucas still seems great to me either way, but expect to hear more about him later.

Also, an old complaint was about jabs that didn't link. I was originally thinking "all jabs except ZSS's should link" since ZSS's has a good reason not to but no one else's really seemed to. I'm less sure now about what should happen, but here are the results. All tests are fresh jabs against 0% Bowser (trying both Whirling Fortress and powershield).

Mario's jab2 underranges jab1 a bit. Not a big deal.

Luigi-Wario have solid jabs in Bbrawl (didn't test all for full range linking, DK's is changed in Bbrawl to make it link).

Link's jab2 has way less range than jab1, but within jab2 range jab1 -> jab2 links. Probably not going to change.

At low%, Sheik's first hit of rapid jab doesn't link to the second hit. This is probably okay given how stupidly much damage Sheik's rapid jab can do on failed reaction.

Toon Link's jab2 has slightly less range than jab1. Not a big deal.

Samus's jab combo does not combo jab1 -> jab2. This should be fixed.

We all know about Zero Suit Samus's jab combo. This is the way it is for a good reason.

Pit and Ice Climbers have fine jab combos.

R.O.B.'s jab2 slightly underranges jab1. Not a big deal.

Kirby's rapid jab does not combo from jab2. I'm unsure if this should be fixed since Kirby's rapid jab is really good and also pretty stupid against walls. Given the PSA model, maybe make it link but give rapid jab hits more hitlag?

Meta Knight's rapid jab only links for two hits. This is probably fine, unless people want me to buff Meta Knight.

King Dedede has some serious issues here. His jab1 -> jab2 doesn't link, and his jab2 -> rapid jab doesn't link. At least jab1 -> jab2 should be fixed; I'm not sure if fixing jab2 -> rapid jab is a good idea.

Olimar's jab1 -> jab2 does not link. However, his jab combo does 15% and punishes people for being near him when he's such a good keepaway character so fixing it may be a bad idea anyway...

Fox's jab2 -> rapid jab does not link. This might deserve fixing; I'm not sure.

Falco and Wolf have fine jabs.

At low%, Captain Falcon's jab3 does not link to rapid jab. This may or may not deserve a fix.

Pikachu's repeaded jab1s (or however you want to look at it) don't link. This is probably a very good thing.

Squirtle and Ivysaur's jabs are fine (contrary to some rumors to the contrary about them).

Charizard's jab1 -> jab2 does not link. This should be fixed.

Lucario's jab is fine.

Jigglypuff's jab1 -> jab2 does not link. I know we don't care much about her ground game, but I see no harm in fixing this.

Tipper or no, Marth's jab1 -> jab2 does not link. I don't know if this deserves a fix or not; it's not even remotely close to linking, and Marth hardly needs a buff.

Ike's jab is fine (more than fine).

Ness's jab2 underranges jab1 by a little. Not a big deal.

Lucas's jab is fine.

Mr. Game & Watch's jab1 does not link to rapid jab. I'm not sure if this should be fixed.

Snake's jab2 -> jab3 does not link. Making this link as a part of a general smoothing out of Snake seems like a good idea.

Sonic's jab is fine.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Most jabs are SDIable (all even?), and I didn't claim to have a complete list of what the ranges are (Lucas's jab2 is really close to jab1 if nothing else).

Eldiran

Smash Lord
What's wrong with jabs not linking? Aside from those cases where a linking jab would specifically help poor matchups.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What's wrong with jabs not linking? Aside from those cases where a linking jab would specifically help poor matchups.
It's not only an unpopular element (there are very few fans of jabs not linking; it's just so non-intuitive), but in most cases the jabs that are a part of the jab combo that come after the non-link are pretty terrible moves (since there's basically no circumstance you can land them, with rapid jabs being a bit different). The game is definitely smoother if more link as opposed to fewer, and that's a big part of our focus this time around.

That being said, these sort of tweaks are looked at as buffs and considered appropriately as all other things. Something like Samus's jab is just natural. Samus right now is throwing a few flags for being polarizing, and shifting her game a little more toward the center (which means slightly toning down some of her camping while slightly toning up some of her other stuff) seems like a good solution. Her jab linking is a good thing to include in that.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
How would you feel about Falcon's Jab3 having large growth and low base? It combos into rapid at low percents, and leads to a chase at high percents.

Also, the electricity on Falcon's pummel gives him less pummels per grab. Either a damage buff or lower the hitlag.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It's not only an unpopular element (there are very few fans of jabs not linking; it's just so non-intuitive), but in most cases the jabs that are a part of the jab combo that come after the non-link are pretty terrible moves (since there's basically no circumstance you can land them, with rapid jabs being a bit different). The game is definitely smoother if more link as opposed to fewer, and that's a big part of our focus this time around.

That being said, these sort of tweaks are looked at as buffs and considered appropriately as all other things. Something like Samus's jab is just natural. Samus right now is throwing a few flags for being polarizing, and shifting her game a little more toward the center (which means slightly toning down some of her camping while slightly toning up some of her other stuff) seems like a good solution. Her jab linking is a good thing to include in that.
Okay, that makes sense. I only ask because I feel like causing jabs to link would be a rather drastic change. Most buffs thus far have been changing the reward of hitting rather than the method, and I feel this falls in the latter category (which is the less desirable one).

Of course, I really don't need to be lecturing you on the principles of your own project. I'm basically just sayin', not everyone is unhappy with jabs not linking. (Sure, it'dve been better if vBrawl had been made with all of them linking at some point, but changing them afterward is something I'd rather avoid.)

Also, the electricity on Falcon's pummel gives him less pummels per grab. Either a damage buff or lower the hitlag.
If necessary, with PSA we can put the hitlag back to where it was while keeping the electricity.

Mit

Smash Ace
I say make Falcon's jab link :O

Right now, you'll be hard pressed to find a single main who even uses jab3 or the rapid combo. It's just something you don't do unless you somehow do it on accident, because it almost never turns out good (you don't even make it to the rapid combo) or, even if you do hit with the rapid combo, your opponent DI's out, and the ending lag of the combo is often enough to get you punished.

Actually, I think that last bit is why I never use it. It's just not that safe to mess around with, and jab->grab and jab>jab>grab are just too good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
On flat ground with no fastfalling or aerial use, Mr. Game & Watch spends 58 frames in the air out of a full hop. If he wants to do a lagless fair, he has to execute it within the first 14 frames of his full hop. If he tries to double fair, he has only 4 extra frames to ensure that the second one gets its hitbox out at all before he lands with it, and the second one is absolutely sure to enjoy that wonderful 22 frames of landing lag (with no landing hitbox to help it like bair and dair have, both of which also have far less landing lag). None of Mr. Game & Watch's aerials autocancel after the hitboxes come out (though nair and bair at least definitely do before the hitboxes come out, which is only useful for deception and grabbing banana peels) so don't bother concerning yourself with that possibility.
WOOOOOOOOOW. You're making me do this. I'm sorry, as much as I appreciate every good thing you do for this game, I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge you demonstrate in that statement.

AA, stop being stupid and learn to buffer your ****. If you know anything about Ganon, Ganon is about buffering. Buffer G&W's fullhop F-air, it *****. This game is not Melee. It's Brawl, and in Brawl, almost everything is easy, even several 1 frame windows are very easy to do as long as you know what sets them up. Brawl's MASSIVE 10 frame buffer window means anything will come out the first frame possible if you can mash 6 times a second (very easy). You don't have to wait for jump startup to complete for aerials to come out first frame possible, you can just mash the attack button as soon as you hit jump. Seriously...this is basics. Why are you trying to get so unnecessarily detailed? The things you can't buffer are punishing out of shield when something is out of range, most ISJR windows, and improvised spacing. All you are doing here is just spamming an aerial as fast as possible...

I'll let you run the numbers on how much frame disadvantage G&W has when this is blocked (a lot of variables), but it's sure to be in the double digits no matter what and if Ganon manages to shield the first frame of the move it's a staggering -29.
Doesn't matter. Ganon is too slow to punish it. The shield pushback is too massive, and G&W's DI is too fast for Ganon to do anything to feasibly punish F-air.

Firstoff, it takes 7 frames to drop shield, which he will have to do to even get in range. Assume he runs for at least 15 frames to get in range (I'm being super generous by the way, as I think G&W actually DIs faster than Ganon runs), and then 7 frames to jump, and 8 more frames for the U-air to actually hit G&W (since the initial hitbox is not above, but in front of Ganon). THAT IS MUCH TOO SLOW for Ganon to feasibly punish G&W. We're talking about at least 37 frames being spent to actually punish G&W's fullhop F-air.

Furthermore, low F-air is safe on block keep in mind. I should also add that Ganon really can't use spotdodge to punish at all anyway.

Seriously AA...what you're doing is not how you theorycraft at all. I'm not even trying to theorycraft Ganon vs G&W right now. I'm explaining what works when I play the matchup.

On a side note...I really want to hear the opinion on buffing Lucas's N-air so that it sets up juggles more reliably (into a moderately buffed U-air that kills heavies before 150%). This should ideally make his matchups significantly better in general, while not really changing the character (I mean we already changed him so that he lost a KO setup...y'know). This was the best idea RocketPSience and I could come up with for making Lucas on par with the better characters above him.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Um... are you acting like I can't execute that? Are you seriously joking me? I'm telling you the window is fairly predictable for a powershield. I'm not saying those small windows matter because it's too hard to do. I'm saying those small windows matter because it's easy for Ganon to powershield due to the predictable timing. It's not so great because in Brawl the secret to avoiding getting powershielded is mixing up timing, and you don't have much mix-up in your timing of fair. Seriously, I didn't say this because it's just common sense; it's really annoying if you're going to assume ridiculous things.

And I just testing your claims on spacing in frame by frame just to make you happy. The results? If G&W spaces perfectly and air controls perfectly (that is, he's pulling back as he's hitting with the move), he can BARELY avoid jump OoS nair and fair. I did indeed slightly underestimate how solid G&W's air control is (though I had a good handle on the range of everything). However, he still has massive frame disadvantage, and to avoid these things he has to end up further away from Ganon than when he started (note that you are going to have to be pretty pro with your execution of this air control, but that shouldn't' be too big of a problem). Mixing up his spacing at all results in him just getting hit by the things described in the last post. So Ganon can just read his air control, do an empty short hop, and then just land in front of Mr. Game & Watch gaining space. He gets his free hit on his first powershield or whenever Mr. Game & Watch runs out of room to retreat. So I suppose I concede the point that you're technically correct in that in fairly specific circumstances (read: predictable, easy to powershield) Mr. Game & Watch's fair is safe on block, but his reward for landing it like that is a positional disadvantage, and it carries the high risk of Ganondorf powershielding it. It's not a good tactic.

Even with optimum spacing and air control on the part of Mr. Game & Watch, Ganondorf gets dash attack out of powershield. This is not only fairly damaging but also a kill move. I verified this in frame by frame mode; I'm very certain it's correct.

Furthermore, Ganondorf's fair trades with Mr. Game & Watch's fair. So if you both jump at each other and fair with relatively decent spacing, you are both probably going to hit each other. Ganondorf's is more powerful. Most Ganons don't really like their fair, but if they are bold and go for it, they can get this reward here. Sure it's unsafe if G&W predicts and doesn't fair (instead airdodging Ganon's fair), but this is just another option Ganon has which only helps him.

I'd further point out your comment of "fast falled fair" without any further remark. Do you always do your moves with the exact same timing as though it's implied when in your jump you fast fall and when in your jump you begin executing your fair? I mean, even within the 14 frame window if you mix things up as much as possible it's kinda hard to avoid being powershielded, but if you just always buffer from the initial jumping animation and fast fall immediately, the Ganon has it way too easy to powershield that after 1-2 times and he sees what's going on. I included the wide range of options that work from a variety of spacings (I just assumed people knew what moves could hit when based on intuition, like only go for Dark Dive grab if G&W fairs deep) and with a variety of frame advantages to cover all the possible mix-up G&W could go for, but it sounds like you're just talking about one very narrow thing here. I don't think fastfalling is that big of a deal in terms of the safety either way except insofar as it reduces the window to execute the fair without landing lag. Either you don't hit the ground before fair finishes (and you have to air control very hard away from Ganon to avoid him getting a deadly punishment, resulting in you losing space) or you do land before it finishes and he gets a free dtilt on you. Take your pick?

I play G&W, and I knew intuitively this wasn't a good tactic. Frame analysis reveals the fundamental flaw; fair has massive frame disadvantage on block and huge landing lag. In-game frame analysis reveals you have a very tiny point insofar as with very specific timing and spacing windows G&W's fair is safe on normal block, but the same analysis reveals that G&W has to sacrifice space for that. Simple logic and knowledge from real gameplay reminds us of the fact that things with very narrow windows repeated more than a few times are easy to powershield, and in-game frame analysis shows us that Ganon can indeed punish out of powershield. I must admit that I never would have explored this so thoroughly if you hadn't kept hammering on this point, but I feel what is ultimately going to prove an irrefutable analysis here concludes my intuition was fundamentally right all along on the simple fact that this tactic is not good.

As per what happens when the matchup is played, I know what I've seen in my region and what I do, and I know what you suggest doesn't really work. Everyone around here is just too good at powershielding to get away with predictable stuff like that; things that only hit once and are rigid in timing aren't good zoning tools at our local level of metagame. Maybe it's different where you live and this actually works. The thing is I use G&W a lot and speak from experience on him, and my experience is pretty clear with what I feel is solid analysis to compliment it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Um... are you acting like I can't execute that? Are you seriously joking me? I'm telling you the window is fairly predictable for a powershield. I'm not saying those small windows matter because it's too hard to do. I'm saying those small windows matter because it's easy for Ganon to powershield due to the predictable timing. It's not so great because in Brawl the secret to avoiding getting powershielded is mixing up timing, and you don't have much mix-up in your timing of fair. Seriously, I didn't say this because it's just common sense; it's really annoying if you're going to assume ridiculous things.
This isn't predictable at all...I land fullhop F-airs all the time. This is against people who have played me a lot and in tournament setting. Ganon should never be consistently powershielding due to the threat of everything else G&W can be doing.

And I just testing your claims on spacing in frame by frame just to make you happy. The results? If G&W spaces perfectly and air controls perfectly (that is, he's pulling back as he's hitting with the move), he can BARELY avoid jump OoS nair and fair. I did indeed slightly underestimate how solid G&W's air control is (though I had a good handle on the range of everything). However, he still has massive frame disadvantage, and to avoid these things he has to end up further away from Ganon than when he started (note that you are going to have to be pretty pro with your execution of this air control, but that shouldn't' be too big of a problem). Mixing up his spacing at all results in him just getting hit by the things described in the last post. So Ganon can just read his air control, do an empty short hop, and then just land in front of Mr. Game & Watch gaining space. He gets his free hit on his first powershield or whenever Mr. Game & Watch runs out of room to retreat. So I suppose I concede the point that you're technically correct in that in fairly specific circumstances (read: predictable, easy to powershield) Mr. Game & Watch's fair is safe on block, but his reward for landing it like that is a positional disadvantage, and it carries the high risk of Ganondorf powershielding it. It's not a good tactic.
I'm going to laugh at this. If you actually wasted the time to test this frame by frame, you utterly fail at theorycraft.

This isn't just insanely predictable, because G&W can just rush down Ganondorf with anything. Ganondorf is FORCED to shield to avoid getting ***** in general because everything he gets hit by ***** him hard and sets him up to get gimped.

Even with optimum spacing and air control on the part of Mr. Game & Watch, Ganondorf gets dash attack out of powershield. This is not only fairly damaging but also a kill move. I verified this in frame by frame mode; I'm very certain it's correct.
I'm...speechless. Seriously, are you that insistent on Ganon powershielding it? That is extremely laughable.

The only thing that's predictable is your playstyle...if you just stopped worrying about Ganon and just decided to go all out on him, you would be destroying him easily. He can't defend himself. This is why F-air spamming is so good against him.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
A2ZOMG: Perhaps are you talking about hitting with the fair on the way up (Is that possible)? Because coming down with fair is just a stupid thing to do on GAW's part.

Also, could you show us a video of fair spam vs. Ganon? I'd like to see how to do it without getting punished.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOF2P-xvRTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruRddkGKb0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2vJ6UNwUA

I should point out that these matches are REALLY old, wifi (which SCREWS G&W for the most part, in case you didn't notice how horrible my spacing is in general), and the fact that Swoops and Ray_Kalm are among the best Ganon players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSP6a-0vLQ
That match is a wifi BBrawl set. Judge it as you will.

The point is Ganondorf basically can't defend himself when G&W plays correctly. There is little reason not to rush him down properly. Considering how powerful F-air is at just simply hurting stuff, it really makes Ganon's life miserable due to how easy it is for G&W to land on Ganon.

I find it laughable that AA throws the stage control argument with Ganon, a character with no threatening approach, against G&W, a character with VERY threatening approach and poke options. I know I have absolutely no fear of Ganon competitively. I know the matchup in and out as a player who has used Ganon, and without any respectable offense or defensive options, he stands no chance against me or any other competent player using an actually decent character.

And before you keep telling me I'm just being biased against Ganon...please let me remind you that my Ganon *****. This does not change the fact I am completely aware of blatant mistakes and lack of matchup knowledge in my opponent's playstyle. I myself happen to be VERY good at mindgames, the basis of Ganon's playstyle. The few really serious competitive BBrawl matches I've had against people who started being careful (such as my friend TonyGuacamole, who usually plays rather blindly aggressively), even with all of Ganons buffs, they mean almost nothing against people who actually play well. Samus ***** Ganon harder in BBrawl because of this, and CF legitimately has a 65/35 advantage on Ganon just because he outzones Ganon's huge frame so easily and kills him with Up-B out of shield, not to mention his REALLY LETHAL U-tilt. Ganon's Flame Choke and D-tilt are too difficult to land against all the aerial spacers that can pressure and poke him to death, and it is impossible to land a KO move when your opponent isn't screwing up.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I was just thinking, if we do switch to the .pac system, we don't have to edit everyone's GR times, but only the characters that are affected by it making it more like vBrawl in the fact that GR doesn't mean they get a free hit on you.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
so, A2... you're really relying on WiFi?
It not only screws your game, but also your opponent's. If you as GW made some spacing mistakes, have you idea of how many defensive mistakes that ganon did? He's already slow, and WiFi makes even smaller its posibility windows.
A Ganon can avoid that pressure. WiFi just makes it ridicuously hard.

In other hand, AA, BBrawl was designed only for high-level?
We here think that a mid-level BYoshi or BLucas are overbuffed (we have a weird history about a guy VERY bad with Lucas, that only spams jabs, PK Fire and PK Freeze... now he randomly wins...)

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
No offense, A2, but I don't see how that was '****'. Perhaps it's more **** when playing in person, but wifi is definitely not the place to demonstrate.

I also don't remember GAW being hurt particularly badly by wifi, (if anything, Ganondorf would be worse off) and my wifi is REALLY BAD (there's a 1/2 second input lag on my side of the connection for some reason).

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just watched some of those old matches again and the first part of the Ganon ditto was so lol. I remember the lag we had was pretty bad though. I had a better connection with Daisho and he lives in NJ. Those matches were pretty fun though.

IMO Ganon needs either a jab with half the lag (via IASA in PSA), a better standing grab, SA on side b (maybe down b if side b becomes polarizing), or several really creative tweaks if the previously mentioned changes are too big (maybe upping shield damage on everything he has or whatever). Fixing his Fair in PSA (changing the odd synchronous timer to asynchronous) would be nice too.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No offense, A2, but I don't see how that was '****'. Perhaps it's more **** when playing in person, but wifi is definitely not the place to demonstrate.

I also don't remember GAW being hurt particularly badly by wifi, (if anything, Ganondorf would be worse off) and my wifi is REALLY BAD (there's a 1/2 second input lag on my side of the connection for some reason).
G&W is one of the worst wifi characters (only Marth is hurt more than G&W basically). Ganondorf is almost allowed to shieldgrab him on wifi due to how much wifi hurts spacing characters.

Furthermore it's very easy to suicide with G&W on wifi (which I did a LOT), run into random F-smashes/Flame Chokes, and generally speaking G&W is very easily punishable whenever he makes a spacing mistake.

Ganondorf on the other hand is in fact better on wifi (if only slightly), as he thrives in an environment where people make lots of mistakes and don't play on reaction.

To make a point how much wifi hurts G&W...I took a match off Aer_However on the AiB ladder with Ganon, and he's a G&W that places much higher on the ladder than I do.

Destati

Smash Cadet
Hiya. I don't want to derail anything, but I just wanted to share some opinions with BBrawl.

First of all, maybe you remember me as High Dragoon from the Pokemon gamefaqs boards Ampharos.

Anywho, I had the chance to play BBrawl with my Game Studies club the other day. There were maybe 30 people there with all but the winner switching out. People had a lot of fun and we saw new characters like Bowser and Ganondorf winning (Might I say, when it comes to BBrawl Bowser is my new secondary. You made him awesome)

But we all noticed something. Link. If one detail was broken, it was Link. His Arrows work well in the beginning and the knock back is great. But then at later parts in the game, like when the enemy has 100%, it becomes a little OP. Suddenly the arrows turn into long-ranged smash attacks. My friend put it nicely when he said "it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so fast"

Also, any chance you can create alternate .gct files later on that DO freeze some stages, or at least provide the option of freezing stages? Personally, I don't understand the point of removing the bottom layer of spear pillar while still retaining the crazy stage hazards.

One last thing. Any chance you can improve Lucario's Double Team? Marth and Ike have no lag between the activation of their counter and the actual move itself. Lucario does. Nothing pisses me off more than when I execute what I THOUGHT was a well-timed double team, only to be knocked out of the stage while hearing the double team sound effect. I activated the move before the opponent KOed me, but the move didn't occur fast enough.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Double Team is just one of those failed move concepts. Sorry.

Also, if Link's arrows are hurting you that much, it would be a better idea to DI up. Link can't do anything you if you recover high.

Destati

Smash Cadet
Well, the situations that were happening were when the players were trying to recover back to the stage. Whenever a character made an arcing jump, the Link player would immediately interrupt it and shoot an arrow. I'll try the DI idea.

I still think Double Team could be fixed. Honestly, I don't care that much if it hits or not. What I love about that move is that it pretty much always gives you the upper hand, allowing Lucario to retreat to mid-range combat where he excels at.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
The jab change seems a bit iffy, to be honest.

Jab combos, like most combos in this game, aren't supposed to be actual combos --rather, they're supposed to be strings.

The "standard" flow of Jabs goes something like:

Jab1-->Jab2--> Choose one:

Jab 3
Mix-up with any other Attack option
Shield
Grab
Spotdodge
Wait
--variants of Wait:Shorthop, Fullhop, Foxtrot/Run/Walk, etc, etc)
and so on.

The interaction between options here is really very rich and interesting; it's a big part of why boxing is so fun and challenging. The interactions are made even more complex by SDI which allows for some interesting spacing-based counter-options (and, of course, options that can be used against those counter-options).

For most characters, there is a really nice tension between the various mix-up options available after Jab2; however, there are certain characters that, if they were changed and given the ability to do so, will always choose to use a "popping" Jab3 over any other option, because resetting spacing and getting their opponent away from them is rewarding enough that it isn't worth taking the risk inherent in choosing any of their other available mix-up options. As things exist now, those characters are denied guaranteed access to their most tempting option (the Jab3 that knocks the opponent away), thus forcing them to expand their mix-up game and utilize their other options. This creates a Yomi situation with a nice tension: they are always looking to use that "popping" Jab3, but they know that you know that and they know that you can counter the Jab3, so they might try to punish your counter instead; thus resulting in a nice little game of weighted-RPS at the end of every successful Jab string rather than just a mindless spacing reset.

Removing that from any character, especially on jabs that knock your opponent away, seems like a bad idea. (At least rapid jabs can potentially still be SDI-ed and punished, but any jab that "pops" your opponent away doesn't even allow for that simple counter-option.) A guaranteed "pop" jab combo is basically a zero-interaction situation that is just an automatic spacing reset button; too much of that will make the boxing game more shallow overall, and in the case of characters like Olimar/ZSS/Snake it is incredibly risky for balance reasons.

Of course, there are already "popping" Jab combos in this game that are guaranteed, but it is important to acknowledge that such Jab combos have an enormous impact on boxing. Lucas, for example, has a guaranteed(?) "pop" Jab combo, and, while it is amazingly good and it completely changes the boxing dynamic in all of his match-ups, it is acceptable that it completely dominates his other boxing options because he is one of very few characters designed this way and the overall character was designed with that level of boxing power in mind. His boxing game is heavily skewed towards Jab3 and Spotdodge, but that is perfectly fine since his overall character design is balanced around it.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a bit of diversity by having characters deviate from the "standard" boxing model I outlined at the beginning of this post. There should be as much diversity in boxing as there is in any other element of the game. (i.e., Recovery, killing power, speed, etc.) Having oddballs like Lucas, Pikachu, ZSS, Samus, and Marth certainly makes the game better; however, characters who stick to the "standard" boxing style are just as important and their boxing dynamics should also be preserved.

I can see some merit in the argument that it helps "smooth" out the game, but I don't know if that carries enough weight to make up for the very real impact such a change could have on the boxing metagame.

Whatever you decide, please be fully aware that changing how various Jab combos behave is much more than a simple cosmetic change. The change to Donkey Kong's Jab combo, a change that seems to have been made fairly lightly, has had a very real impact on his boxing game vs. Fox and has changed the dynamics of CQC in the DK vs. Fox match-up in a very non-trivial way, although I don't think it has skewed the overall match-up too much. However, going forward, I hope that you strongly consider the ramifications of these changes on boxing dynamics so that no undesirable repercussions arise in match-ups where the boxing balance is crucial to maintaining overall match-up balance.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Hiya. I don't want to derail anything, but I just wanted to share some opinions with BBrawl.

First of all, maybe you remember me as High Dragoon from the Pokemon gamefaqs boards Ampharos.

Anywho, I had the chance to play BBrawl with my Game Studies club the other day. There were maybe 30 people there with all but the winner switching out. People had a lot of fun and we saw new characters like Bowser and Ganondorf winning (Might I say, when it comes to BBrawl Bowser is my new secondary. You made him awesome)

But we all noticed something. Link. If one detail was broken, it was Link. His Arrows work well in the beginning and the knock back is great. But then at later parts in the game, like when the enemy has 100%, it becomes a little OP. Suddenly the arrows turn into long-ranged smash attacks. My friend put it nicely when he said "it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so fast"

Also, any chance you can create alternate .gct files later on that DO freeze some stages, or at least provide the option of freezing stages? Personally, I don't understand the point of removing the bottom layer of spear pillar while still retaining the crazy stage hazards.

One last thing. Any chance you can improve Lucario's Double Team? Marth and Ike have no lag between the activation of their counter and the actual move itself. Lucario does. Nothing pisses me off more than when I execute what I THOUGHT was a well-timed double team, only to be knocked out of the stage while hearing the double team sound effect. I activated the move before the opponent KOed me, but the move didn't occur fast enough.
Thanks for your input. Allow me to address this.

It's good to hear about diverse winners.

As per Link, here's the idea. When Link is off-stage, it's really easy for basically any other character to kill him. His recovery is just terrible, as in really terrible, and it's not changed in Balanced Brawl. His arrows are supposed to give him some way to "return the favor", as it were, when the situation is reversed. We have actually received some fairly mixed feedback on this in terms of the positive/negative; it's interesting. Some people, like your group, find it jarring and overpowering. Others seem to find ways to avoid it pretty easily, some of them going so far as to suggest that a non-resolution to the "Link can't jump" issue is a problem this doesn't fix. There's a third group that seems to not have a problem with the arrows and thinks Link is well-balanced of course... Design wise, for the next version, the diverse opinions on these arrows will be interesting. I would say though that you should be mindful that there are certainly options against them as evidenced by if nothing else the different ways they seem to affect different players.

I have a lot to say about stages (I really don't get to talk about them enough) so I'm coming back to that later in the post.

Some moves are just bad ideas. The best example here is actually Jigglypuff's Sing. It's a pretty terrible move that has not been improved in Balanced Brawl, and it probably won't be. The thing is that right now it's basically a non-force in the game (since it's so bad), but if it were good, what would that mean? It would mean that the move that disables your opponent completely would be a substantial part of the game and that that AT where you chain Sing together would be a non-novelty and actually a credible way to run the clock and all sorts of other horrible stuff. Double Team isn't as badly designed as Sing by a long shot, and we actually did try to improve it early in development before we discovered the way it's coded is kinda dumb and the move is generally unwilling to be sped up. Implementation woes aside, it's probably fair to say that Lucario really doesn't need much out of this move, and I'm not sure if Lucario having a solid countering move is necessarily a good thing. However, it sounds like you're finding non-traditional uses for it that don't work on any assumption of actually hitting with the attack, so maybe it's fine anyway and just has a different use from the immediately apparent one? Sometimes that's how moves work out, that the main use isn't the obvious use (like the main use of Yoshi's Egg Roll is momentum canceling, not actually rolling into the opponent). It's not a bad thing. Even if that doesn't come into play, making all moves useful isn't a top priority so, if the greater good calls for it, terrible moves sometimes just need to stay terrible.

My response to stages is long and contained below:

The idea here is to make the stages more fair. Something like a laser on Spear Pillar isn't really unfair. It has a huge, telegraphed start-up, can hit all players and does so with no discrimination, and offers opportunities for strategic play in terms of forcing others into it or keeping up an offense while avoiding it or whatever. Spear Pillar lasers are also pretty far from instant death so getting hit every once in a while (essentially always due to your own mistakes) is hardly the end-all of the match. Of course, many stages don't test that sort of skill (for instance, Smashville does not test it), but I think it's pretty good for the game (and obviously a part of "Sakurai's vision") to have stages that do. I really wish I could have tweaked Spear Pillar more in the last version and hope to do so for this version (specifically, I'd like to lower the bottom of the stage via some advanced trickery while keeping the walkable lower area gone, and I'd like to weaken some of Cresselia's attacks which are probably more powerful than the game's interests are served by them being).

On the other hand, something like a hard loop is just stage ruining. When doing the design for some of these stages, we went forward with a philosophy that we should design with an assumption that all players play to win at all times regardless or how nasty, unpleasant, or boring the tactics are. On Spear Pillar in standard Brawl, the best tactic is to pick a character that runs fast (like Sonic), fight to get any sort of lead (like a 10% lead in Sonic vs Bowser let's say), and then literally run circles around the stage and away from your opponent until time runs out. We are aware not all players will do this, but here's how I looked at it at least. If both players are willing to use such tactics, the game is awful and degenerate and not interesting and the only solution is not to play on that stage. If neither player does, there's no problem but the result isn't meaningful either since neither player is really pushing very hard to win. However, the kicker is that if one player does and one player does not, the player who does is virtually guaranteed to win and the actions of the other player in the game are just completely irrelevant. That is way worse than any stage hazard could ever be; it makes the game super lame (no one is having fun that way) and it destroys all competition (no one can feel proud about winning like that). Given the drastic negatives of loop stages, our perspective on them basically was "literally any change is an improvement (neutral at worst) because this stage might as well not have been in the game before". We've received a bit of flak for this (especially on Temple actually) which shows what different ways people look at things, but I think that, especially as our tools improve and we can make the sort of smoothing changes that are amenable to everyone, our approach will make the best game stage-wise.

My problem with frozen stages is that a lot of people seem to have this "misconception" as it were that somehow stages as a whole are improved by being non-interactive and such and that in the end all any good competitive player wants is some flat stage maybe with a few platforms. Of course the game has a few stages like that, and I have nothing against them, but I suppose I can say I just don't trust the community enough on this point that, given a no effort either way choice between playing on diverse, interesting stages and making a bunch of stages really similar to each other that they'd chose for the better here (the same way, for the official Bbrawl build, we don't really trust people to make their own changes to characters). Of course, this is an open project so anyone can use our .txt based code to compile their own .gct with whatever alternate changes they want, be it frozen Pokemon Stadium 2 or splitting up the Pokemon Trainer or whatever.

I suppose I can end the long explanation about stages by saying that part of the character design focused around them too. For instance, the fact that Sonic has a great back throw for killing off walk-off stages and is generally effective at forcing opponents into stage hazards was definitely considered when making him.

The jab change seems a bit iffy, to be honest.

Jab combos, like most combos in this game, aren't supposed to be actual combos --rather, they're supposed to be strings.

The "standard" flow of Jabs goes something like:

Jab1-->Jab2--> Choose one:

Jab 3
Mix-up with any other Attack option
Shield
Grab
Spotdodge
Wait
--variants of Wait:Shorthop, Fullhop, Foxtrot/Run/Walk, etc, etc)
and so on.

The interaction between options here is really very rich and interesting; it's a big part of why boxing is so fun and challenging. The interactions are made even more complex by SDI which allows for some interesting spacing-based counter-options (and, of course, options that can be used against those counter-options).

For most characters, there is a really nice tension between the various mix-up options available after Jab2; however, there are certain characters that, if they were changed and given the ability to do so, will always choose to use a "popping" Jab3 over any other option, because resetting spacing and getting their opponent away from them is rewarding enough that it isn't worth taking the risk inherent in choosing any of their other available mix-up options. As things exist now, those characters are denied guaranteed access to their most tempting option (the Jab3 that knocks the opponent away), thus forcing them to expand their mix-up game and utilize their other options. This creates a Yomi situation with a nice tension: they are always looking to use that "popping" Jab3, but they know that you know that and they know that you can counter the Jab3, so they might try to punish your counter instead; thus resulting in a nice little game of weighted-RPS at the end of every successful Jab string rather than just a mindless spacing reset.

Removing that from any character, especially on jabs that knock your opponent away, seems like a bad idea. (At least rapid jabs can potentially still be SDI-ed and punished, but any jab that "pops" your opponent away doesn't even allow for that simple counter-option.) A guaranteed "pop" jab combo is basically a zero-interaction situation that is just an automatic spacing reset button; too much of that will make the boxing game more shallow overall, and in the case of characters like Olimar/ZSS/Snake it is incredibly risky for balance reasons.

Of course, there are already "popping" Jab combos in this game that are guaranteed, but it is important to acknowledge that such Jab combos have an enormous impact on boxing. Lucas, for example, has a guaranteed(?) "pop" Jab combo, and, while it is amazingly good and it completely changes the boxing dynamic in all of his match-ups, it is acceptable that it completely dominates his other boxing options because he is one of very few characters designed this way and the overall character was designed with that level of boxing power in mind. His boxing game is heavily skewed towards Jab3 and Spotdodge, but that is perfectly fine since his overall character design is balanced around it.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a bit of diversity by having characters deviate from the "standard" boxing model I outlined at the beginning of this post. There should be as much diversity in boxing as there is in any other element of the game. (i.e., Recovery, killing power, speed, etc.) Having oddballs like Lucas, Pikachu, ZSS, Samus, and Marth certainly makes the game better; however, characters who stick to the "standard" boxing style are just as important and their boxing dynamics should also be preserved.

I can see some merit in the argument that it helps "smooth" out the game, but I don't know if that carries enough weight to make up for the very real impact such a change could have on the boxing metagame.

Whatever you decide, please be fully aware that changing how various Jab combos behave is much more than a simple cosmetic change. The change to Donkey Kong's Jab combo, a change that seems to have been made fairly lightly, has had a very real impact on his boxing game vs. Fox and has changed the dynamics of CQC in the DK vs. Fox match-up in a very non-trivial way, although I don't think it has skewed the overall match-up too much. However, going forward, I hope that you strongly consider the ramifications of these changes on boxing dynamics so that no undesirable repercussions arise in match-ups where the boxing balance is crucial to maintaining overall match-up balance.
Oh, we're fully aware of the potential implications of that (to be honest, no decisions on that regard have been made). I think you underestimate the depth fully linking jab combos have. Let's start with the simple statement that, in standard Brawl, there are 37 non-single hit jab combos (obviously the single hit jabs of Zelda and Ganon aren't interesting and will from here on out be ignored). So, of those 37, 23 of them link fully "enough" (that is, they link either fully or into a rapid jab sequence that itself may fail at some point). That means only 14 jab combos have such issues, and some of them obviously don't play in depth's favor. The real thing Snake wants to do out of jab is jab1 -> ftilt1 -> ftilt2. That does a very large amount of damage and knockback and is way better than jab1 -> jab2 -> jab3 all around, especially since we made his jab3 weaker (since him having a killing jab was kinda ridiculous even in principle). The reality here is that Snake's "boxing" game out of jab1 basically consists of always wanting to go for ftilts if you want to attack at all because the minor guaranteed damage of jab2 is nowhere near worth the lesser advantage, and jab2 -> jab3 is way harder to land than jab1 -> ftilt1 anyway. Given that Snake may be a character needing some changing anyway, wouldn't an overall change package that includes a linking jab2 -> jab3 probably increases the depth of this game by basically adding an option to the mix?

Then you have Charizard and King Dedede who fail to link after jab1 meaning their jab cancel games themselves are rather poor anyway and really they just have pretty lousy jabs. They play around it by just using dtilt and grab respectively in the situations in which one might jab. While it's not something to be taken lightly, them having at least something here is a direction that potentially has some gain for the game.

The real highlight of a situation that really makes me want to put in some changes on this front is what Mit was saying about Captain Falcon (that agrees with everything I've seen). Nominally, he actually can link all the way to jab3, but he doesn't link to rapid jab or really get much of anything good at all out of that jab3. Captain Falcon has interesting mix-ups with jab1 -> grab versus jab1 -> jab2 -> grab and other such gimmicks, but nowhere in any of his jab games is jab3 really a factor. Captain Falcon is also a character who has a lot of really basic things about the game working against him (like the fact that range/disjointedness is a really big deal in Brawl and that he'll have none of that); he may be the single character who most depends on strength in this "boxing" as you describe it. I see good things down the path of him having a linkable rapid jab and that aside the generally more advantageous jab3 that comes with that.

To provide a good example of deep games in this regard that didn't involve changes at all on our part, look at Luigi's jab game. Luigi has a ridiculously good jab cancel game after jab1, a passable but not special jab cancel game after jab2, and a guaranteed jab3 if he chooses to go that far (SDI aside, of course). A lot of Luigi players approach this differently, and I think a lot of the depth of Luigi's game comes from the different ways he can approach his fully linking jab combo. Jab1 -> Fire Jump Punch is a classic parlor trick that some Luigi players try to land as often as possible, but others barely go for it at all or try for the Fire Jump Punch after jab2 sometimes just because the opponent expects it less even though it's harder to land (not to mention the jab2 does a little bit of damage itself). There are grabs and tilts and such all around, and sometimes the opponent is just proving too hard to hit with any gimmicks or needs to be trained not to worry a bit so just hitting with a full jab combo is decent enough itself. The damage isn't bad, and it refreshes some stale moves well being three different moves and all.

Of course, we have other things to remember and a good example of why we ultimately playtest any change before a public release. In the original public preview, we had several Zero Suit Samus players bring up complaints about how they thought her jab2 -> jab3 should link. We were skeptical of the value of this from the start, but we ran an internal playtest of a version that did link. Thinkaman was the one who specifically ran it actually, but his report was that it was just completely awful with all that Zero Suit Samus really ever did in matches mattering a lot less and her just abusing her frame 1 jab into good mostly guaranteed damage was what started to really matter with the character. Needless to say, that version of Zero Suit Samus did not see the light of day again, and it's not really on the table to bring back that link. We definitely intend to test not just jab changes but all prospective changes before releasing anything, and ultimately it will hopefully only give more depth, not less, and will be more a matter of giving characters things they would have done better to have like most characters already had and less a matter of introducing something mindless or killing the viability of interesting play. It's definitely not a matter of just changing them all blindly, and odds are some will stay as they already are for the greater good in the end anyway (I can't say I think Olimar's changing is likely).

When I talk about jabs not linking, by the way, I'm not considering SDI just in case there was some misunderstanding. SDI out of jab combos is a universal part of the jab game in Brawl that I have absolutely zero interest in changing. I'm talking about the jabs that fail when you hold shield or the jabs that can be mashed out of with frame 1 invincible moves. In BBrawl right now, that only actually applies to 13 jab combos (Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, King Dedede, Olimar, Fox, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake). Let's keep the scope of what we're talking about clear here...

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
IMO Ganon needs either a jab with half the lag (via IASA in PSA), a better standing grab, SA on side b (maybe down b if side b becomes polarizing), or several really creative tweaks if the previously mentioned changes are too big (maybe upping shield damage on everything he has or whatever). Fixing his Fair in PSA (changing the odd synchronous timer to asynchronous) would be nice too.
I completely agree with this ^

I think the Fair error should be fixed (technically it was suppose to be part of the game) and the Jab would be the only speed change I would want on Ganon to deal with pressure, punishing, and sometimes even effectively punching out weak projectiles.

The SA frames on Gerudo..maybe. It would stop people from intrupting it but it really depends on which part of the move you give the armor to (eg: starting or hitbox duration) On Wizkick im also not sure. The reason it is only a sub par approach because it can be easily shield grabbed cause of the move's slowing down on hitting the shield (unlike Sonic's Dash Attack) but i guess Armor would make up for its low priority but then again like Gerudo it really depends on which frames it has armor or whether he needs a long distant kill move with SA.

I like the shield damage thing. However I do not know if there are codes that can alter the Shield damage of an individual move without changing the damage or knockback. However if we can do it, Shielding Uptilt should automatically break your shield on hit. BAD A!

I kinda like the idea about jabs linking. I mean most people tend to jab cancel and what not then complete the entire jab so adding an extra option sounds good epecially if it means you fix Charizard's grab. Im glad you are taking precautions to changing such a thing and trying to add more depth. TEST TEST and TEST again.

Also Stages are very neglected in general

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
lokee what do you mean by fixing charizard's grab?

also charizard (well, mine anyway) is like dedede where he makes up for his ****ty jab with grab as well. improving the jab would be a huge help in tough zard matchups like snake and falco, who pretty much dominate everything outside of grab in CQC.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
lokee what do you mean by fixing charizard's grab?

also charizard (well, mine anyway) is like dedede where he makes up for his ****ty jab with grab as well. improving the jab would be a huge help in tough zard matchups like snake and falco, who pretty much dominate everything outside of grab in CQC.
Well the Jab doesnt link well (although not as bad as DDD) and I think for some reason its better to rapid press A instead of holding it down cause the first option makes the jab flow into each other better. But yeah your right, he needs a few more options during close range as to mix it up and such.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The SA frames on Gerudo..maybe. It would stop people from intrupting it but it really depends on which part of the move you give the armor to (eg: starting or hitbox duration) On Wizkick im also not sure. The reason it is only a sub par approach because it can be easily shield grabbed cause of the move's slowing down on hitting the shield (unlike Sonic's Dash Attack) but i guess Armor would make up for its low priority but then again like Gerudo it really depends on which frames it has armor or whether he needs a long distant kill move with SA.
Most importantly, Ganon needs SA frames on the STARTUP of Flame Choke since the idea is giving Ganon an option that is viable against poking. SA any later than that is useless in high level play when people will just spotdodge it or pivot grab.

Flame Choke out of shield would be interesting against various pressure moves. Noteably, against Marth's DB, you would be able to drop shield after the third hit and choke him out of the fourth (although shieldgrabbing is probably a better idea).

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
That would be the best situation. Watch out Wario! Ganon's coming to town.

I think it would obviously be useful seeing how Ganon relies on MurderChoke for damage and setups and making it more easier to land would be awsome and better, also seeing how Snake's Dthrow is essentially very similar but overall easier to land and virtually a nightmare on platforms I think it would be best.

Hypothetically speaking if a faster jab were to be implemented how fast should it be? Will it have cut ending lag or IASA frames. Should we reduce the knockback/damage?

All of these things are just ideas and may or maynot be used in the upcoming version just to clarify. (I would shout with glee if they were)

Anyway Some Ideas I would suggest on other characters:
:ivysaur:- Razor Leaf buff (Something like they did with Link), +KB sourspot Vinewhip, An easier Kill option?
:bowser2:- SA frames on Aerial Fortress, +KB buff Nair, or faster starting or finishing FlameBreath
:sonic:- Nair Setup Buff (previously stated)
:lucas:- Nair Setup Buff (previously stated)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Exactly how long do you want SA frames on aerial fortress? Even with SA frames, Bowser's recovery still will get ***** hard by Pit and Mario, the latter of which is now a noteable new problem matchup due to Mario's ability to EASILY kill Bowser with B-throw, which is truly scary if you're trying to avoid Cape gimps, while the former is just plain bad for Bowser due to getting camped hard and outprioritized (seriously...even a typical scrubby Pit player can get my Bowser to the last stock, while I can 2stock him with Ganon, another character who CLEARLY loses to Pit). More importantly, the real problem is the fact you can't feasibly land on stage with Bowser's Up-B 98% of the time.

Besides that of course is his extremely limited approach, options for dealing with juggles, and lack of reliable pokes. Of course, he's not as bad off as Ganondorf here, but his options for these fundamental issues are still quite crippling.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think fortress could use better help from a speed up in landing lag if we're going to go as far as to try to add SA to it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
vine whip is now really laggy in order to prevent stalling with it off stage, and it applies to the grounded version too. so that suggestion isn't all that useful.

razor leaf buff would be nice, i humbly believe it is one of the worst projectiles in the game. it is worse than vbrawl luigi fireball imo. it's better than din's fire, chef, and maybe vbrawl ness pk fire but that's it. it doesn't camp, it doesn't set up very good traps, and it's got a ton of lag so it's unsafe if they are even moderately close to ivysaur.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Chef is not a bad projectile.

IMO it seems like a damage buff would be good, KB shouldn't be changed though. If you changed the KB we'd have to deal with another controversial Link arrow-buff story.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you are right, chef shuts downs ganondorf and dk and edgeguards some characters. razor leaf just makes for a good salad.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
The Vine Whip sourspot was a tiny suggestion to Possibly get a stage spike before you die when edgedguard or more importantly send the enemy further to buy time to recover.

Bowser I just dont know. We could either make certain aspects of his on stage game stronger or make his recovery better but I dont think both at once. I think making the aerial version similar but a bit weaker then the ground version may help.

If Razor Leaf somehow could"stun" the foe longer or was faster to allow followups and such itd be pretty neat. Currently you just throw it out to tack a bit of damage while the lag of everypart of the move retains you from really doing anything with it while the enemy is already in your face after just throwing one leaf, and its seemly random path and Ivy's aerial mobility doesnt help either. Basically it needs to be "worth" more.
On the flip side Leaf is a very unique projectile that cancels many others and has the distict property of traveling through everything even sandbag.

Yeah its quite the pickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom