• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Cut Ike's nair's lag time from 11 frames to 6 frames and volia! Ike can nair > jab Olimar all day on his shield. Pretty much what i think will lighten up the MU.

Or Find a way to make it so QD can go through Pikmin and we can QD > nair on Olimar while landing behind him.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea but Nair > jab on a shield will ONLY work on Olimar since his grab is the only one with no grab armor on it. anyone else can Shield grab Ike if he tries to...

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
pikmin grabs dont need a buff>_>
as 4 ike....play the waiting game

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You could charge it up as a mindgame so they fail the perfect shield, and then shield pressure further until you can shieldpoke.
Risk/reward ratio. Next time he grabs. Or grabs on block, still enough of a frame advantage.

Uh. It wouldn't be limited to Oli, thusly making him better all-around. Not something wanted.
Yes it would, but he's still not that good of a character.

That said, I'd probably advise against nair-> jab. Could be too polarizing for ICs match-up. (for shield pressure i mean)

daisho

Smash Lord
Thinkman,

What is the goal of this project. You seem to be saying 2 different ways of how you want to balance characters. You want to make them all diddy level, but you are also saying that you will not change anything unless it will help a matchup. I think you need to get your thinking straight before you progress any further with this project.

About DK.

He is not diddy level. Even without chaingrabs, DK still is not at diddy level. He does not get beaten too badly by ANYONE (unless there is a new matchup that ***** him, very possibly link) that did in brawl.

You can't change his D tilt, it is really one of my most used moves (besides up B and b air), I think it would really mess up the transition between brawl and balanced brawl. Though, if you wanted to buff him it may be okay to mess with D tilt.

Possible Buffs:
-10 Punch is a 10 punch not a 6 punch.
-Get rid of cargo glitch
-Make DK not helpless after a Punch
-Reduce lag on side b (probably broken)
-Is there a way to make someone grounded for longer? If so, do it to side b.
-Make nair hit at a better angle, similar to jigglypuff's

About Kirby.

I am by no means so good with Kirby, but as you said he has gotten worse from the changes and was already worse than Diddy in brawl. What is you logic for not buffing him? When I play as kirby i basically only use bair and fsmash so i don't know any real buffs, but I imagine it will deal with making a previously unviable move viable since you can't change throws and those are pretty much his greatest strengths.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Olimar's grab does not have grab armor. So if Olimar tries to shield grab at the wrong time, he'll eat Ike's jab. Just landing from a nair didn't have enough time to throw a jab out.

EDIT: @ Nair > jab on IC

o.o;; hmm, still Ike's jab is his hurtbox, wonder if IC can time a shield grab right if Ike is jabbing the shield constantly. But meh, I'd still say that's a good point. Ike already has the adv on ICs, not good to make it worse.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lool i had a timer only battle as sec ago and i learned that if u grab someone, they auto die XD
same go 4 forcepalm and to an extent yoshi's egg lay

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
let your opponent come to you,
do a few shield grabs here and there,
wait for the right moment to ko them

but ur the ike pro so i should be asking you lol

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
let your opponent come to you,
do a few shield grabs here and there,
wait for the right moment to ko them

but ur the ike pro so i should be asking you lol
Yes that's all well and good (aside from the fact that Ike's shieldgrabs are mediocre at best) but unless your opponent is playing Olimar for the first time (and this is the first minute of his first time playing) then he has probably realized that he has a projectile and you do not appear to. As such you're going to have to approach him, not the other way around.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
falcon punch should be a projectile that can't be absorbed or reflected. when sweetspotted(first few frames) it should shield break.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
they dont know how to alter shield eaters atm

and why does my sig bot appear when i want it to

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
>_> ooook ill bite
use up tilt and some unexpected backair/netural air/ Vgrab into an aether....well timed counters

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
>_> ooook ill bite
use up tilt and some unexpected backair/netural air/ Vgrab into an aether....well timed counters
Up Tilt can be shielded on reaction as well has has pretty bad lag afterwards. Back Aerial hits too high up when rising to touch Olimar at all. Nair can be shieldgrabbed in most scenarios (and pivot grabbed in all) and Down Throw to Aether really won't work unless your opponent stops touching the controller and goes out to eat a sandwich or something. And well timed counters? The move is worthless and even if it WASN'T worthless you still can't counter a grab anyways.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
...down A alot.......
IDK ANYMORE quick draw into a tilt
use that useless down smash as a shield for his pikmin grabs

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm gonna bring up the nair > jab on ICs again...

Ike can space Nair on ICs to not get grabbed already then jab their shield... so i think speeding up nair wouldn't really polarize the MU o.o;;

I say reduce Ike's nair lag to the point where ICs can shield grab a perfectly landed Nair not spaced but fast enough so he can throw a jab out to pressure Olimar's shield.

As gotta remember Olimar grabs frame 11 and ICs are 6 or 7 yea?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
...down A alot.......
IDK ANYMORE quick draw into a tilt
use that useless down smash as a shield for his pikmin grabs
Down A? Do you mean Down Tilt? The 16 frame move which should not be used on stage? Or do you mean Dair which requires you to be able to GET to Olimar in the first place (you'll be grabbed anyways).

Quick Draw automatically uses the attack animation if you have Pikmin on you.

"A shield for his pikmin grabs". You suggest using a 70+ frame move to block an 11 frame long range tether grab? It won't work anyways but the idea is kind of funny.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm gonna bring up the nair > jab on ICs again...

Ike can space Nair on ICs to not get grabbed already then jab their shield... so i think speeding up nair wouldn't really polarize the MU o.o;;

I say reduce Ike's nair lag to the point where ICs can shield grab a perfectly landed Nair not spaced but fast enough so he can throw a jab out to pressure Olimar's shield.

As gotta remember Olimar grabs frame 11 and ICs are 6 or 7 yea?

Did not know that. gotta remember it since it's gonna be important to ICs match-ups.

Up Tilt can be shielded on reaction as well has has pretty bad lag afterwards. Back Aerial hits too high up when rising to touch Olimar at all. Nair can be shieldgrabbed in most scenarios (and pivot grabbed in all) and Down Throw to Aether really won't work unless your opponent stops touching the controller and goes out to eat a sandwich or something. And well timed counters? The move is worthless and even if it WASN'T worthless you still can't counter a grab anyways.
HEY!

That's my line, and you're supposed to talk about going to a museum or something afterwards, and still being on time.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hmm I wonder how much shield stun Ike's nair inflicts on a shield.

Basically we'd need to make Ike's nair's ending lag = 6 (IC's grab) + 1 frame for landing + (shield stun time - hit lag Ike suffers) + maybe extra frames for lee way depending on how much shield stun there is for IC to shield grab even a perfectly landed but not spaced nair.

though i could be thinking wrong.. but i don't think there is much shield stun on Ike's nair so yea..

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
HEY!

That's my line, and you're supposed to talk about going to a museum or something afterwards, and still being on time.
My bad, my bad! And yes, you can probably go see an extensive art gallery and still make it in time to hit the control stick left or right.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
....all i can offer or think of is to kill off half his pikmin and go in 4 the kill
all u really have to do is get him off the stage

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
kill his pikmin while he picks more of them in a second.. yea that bugger has an infinite supply of those plants...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
....all i can offer or think of is to kill off half his pikmin and go in 4 the kill
all u really have to do is get him off the stage
You kill half his Pikmin, alright, cool. He grabs you, throws you away and boom, back to six pikmin.

And I know that "all" I have to do is get him off stage. As you can see we are discussing how it is possible to adjust Ike so that he can inflict damage to Olimar, which will then result in Olimar eventually being launched off stage, etc etc.

Confucius say, wise man know when to give up. Although he probably wouldn't say it in English and it wouldn't look like he used an internet translator for it too.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
actually, did you guys happen to look at sonic's fair? it has very bad lag and it could do some good to not be so much. and the very least his jab combo should be better since most often sonic's can't even use it without it getting stopped, even when they are clearly getting hit by the jab. most characters jab combos work once the first hit is there. its really bad. and for a move that could use a buff to be used, its nair. NO sonic ever really uses the move, and its hard to apply, so a buff could help it, tho in hindsight not as much outside of damage.

?: why wasn't adding extra damage to the kiling aresenal of characters like sonic , who lack killing options a bad idea, especially when in his case his core problems are not really affected at all outside of creating a new gimmick to try?

but, i am very happy about these changes to make brawl balanced. it really feels like you guys are being as carefull as possible. not sayin you got everything right, but clearly more than the guys at Sora.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Man, you guys forgot to give Mario's B-throw more knockback. I mean lol at Luigi's B-throw killing 15-20% earlier.

Just saying, but that's probably the only complaint I can think of.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
>_> go in 4 a grab then edge hog
mind game like crazy
I feel like we've been over this. You can't grab him because it's hard to get close to him. Your throws are weak anyways so you need to build up damage. Except oh wait you can't because he's too busy throwing Pikmin at you and shieldgrabbing. Are you listening to us at all?

And I highly doubt "mind game like crazy" will work on any competent player. If it does it won't work more than once. Besides how are you going to "mind game" them if they are across the stage damaging you with flowers? PRETEND that you're going to do something about it?

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
sonic reall needs more knockback than damage

and on the ike bit.....i honestly don't know anymore XD
spot dodge pikmin

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
My bad, my bad! And yes, you can probably go see an extensive art gallery and still make it in time to hit the control stick left or right.
Good young grasshopper, now wax on, wax off.

For added flair, mention that they also have time to compose a song or write a story, or rap, or produce something else cultured.

Adding that they discussed the merits of various models of linguistic determinism is a definite plus. (May be substituted for any other sophisticated topic)

Confucius say, wise man know when to give up. Although he probably wouldn't say it in English and it wouldn't look like he used an internet translator for it too.
Lol, that was great.

actually, did you guys happen to look at sonic's fair? it has very bad lag and it could do some good to not be so much.
Doesn't that auto-cancel?

but, i am very happy about these changes to make brawl balanced. it really feels like you guys are being as carefull as possible. not sayin you got everything right, but clearly more than the guys at Sora.
Please, no negative comparisons.

And I highly doubt "mind game like crazy" will work on any competent player. If it does it won't work more than once. Besides how are you going to "mind game" them if they are across the stage damaging you with flowers? PRETEND that you're going to do something about it?
Well, it will, but the problem is that you have to be so much better then your opponent at reading them (aka, pattern recognition) then they are at reading you that you're dealing with a skill gap big enough to discount match-ups period.

Basically, that's the mark of a really bad match-up, but you already knew that.

Then again, your epic mindgame could be "doing nothing".

"I lost the match because I stood still while my opponent was throwing flowers at me, MINDGAMES!"

You must shout "mindgames" by the way. It causes them to trip into f-smashes.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Since you were really stressing that Pokemon Trainer should be used as more of a team, do you think it would be a good idea to make the switching move faster? I know some people might just use this to get to their favorite pokemon, but I know this would totally help me use them more as a team. It would be awesome to actually be able to use Ivy to rack up damage then have Charizard switch in for the kill.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well, it will, but the problem is that you have to be so much better then your opponent at reading them (aka, pattern recognition) then they are at reading you that you're dealing with a skill gap big enough to discount match-ups period.

Basically, that's the mark of a really bad match-up, but you already knew that.
Not only do you have to be vastly better than your opponent to be able to properly break the strat but you also have to realize essentially what they are doing. They are plucking Pikmin out of the ground and (with some degree of thinking) chucking them at you as fast as possible. When you realize that gaining a ton of damage, as epic as that is, isn't working you'll be forced to approach. That's when they press R/L and A when they see your attack is over. Press a direction according to the color of the Pikmin. Press B until you are back to 6. Repeat.

It's not that I'm complaining about the ease of that strat, that's just a silly to talk about. I'm just a bit frustrated that such a simple strategy shuts down Ike. It shuts down Ganondorf too but for all practical purposes I consider him a different (if worse) version of Ike.

But yeah, that's just a match-up that's uphill almost all the time. Possible...in theory. But you're going to have to be smarter than the other guy many times in a row.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thinkman,

What is the goal of this project. You seem to be saying 2 different ways of how you want to balance characters. You want to make them all diddy level, but you are also saying that you will not change anything unless it will help a matchup. I think you need to get your thinking straight before you progress any further with this project.
First, I want to say that the diddy comment was misguided. I could have just as easily been Marth or G&W; the idea is that that is the rough level we are aiming for characters to move to.

Second, these are not two different ways of balancing characters. Saying I want people to be "similar to Diddy" is the WHO; who gets buffed (those below), and who gets nerfed. (those above). Saying we are going to focus on the worst matchups is the HOW; the parts of the character we are going to improve in order to get them up to that "Diddy level" r whatever you want to call it. Not only are these two concepts not at odds with each other, but they go hand-in-hand to the point that neither could proceed without the other; we have to know both who to buff, and we have to know how to to do.

If DK needs changes, as proven by matchups, then he will naturally get changes. Naturally, these changes will be selected to help him deal with the problem matchups. For example, nair angle buff might be a great way to deal with spacies if they prove to be too good agaisnt DK. Floaties a problem? Maybe d-smash could be even stronger? I'm jsut braininstorming off the top of my head, obviously real consideration would take a long time, involve readings form the DK board, watching videos, and talkign to DK mains; all after reviewing that initial matchup data.

I am by no means so good with Kirby, but as you said he has gotten worse from the changes and was already worse than Diddy in brawl. What is you logic for not buffing him? When I play as kirby i basically only use bair and fsmash so i don't know any real buffs, but I imagine it will deal with making a previously unviable move viable since you can't change throws and those are pretty much his greatest strengths.
Remember, this is a preview. It was never intended to be a candidate for exceptional balance, even if it is a good step forward on many fronts. The intent is to gather matchup data to help make educated and informed changes, taking into consideration the major metagame changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom