• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backroom Reform: Current Topic -> Success?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
It's not about whether or not you lie, it's about whether or not you like pissing people off, or write stuff in a way that pisses people off and you don't really give a crap about it even though mods have 'told' you before (infractions).
LOL infractions, like they matter :laugh:
i dont think i have ever looked at them other than the pm, i doubt i will ever get to 6.

Negative feedback is good as long as you don't incite flamefests and rage.
so.... im allowed to tell someone their idea is absolutely ***, but if they get upset about it then its my fault, even if their idea actually was completely ****ing ***. LOL yes youre a great mod, i applaud your rules.

Forum rules encourage posting that don't incite flamefests and rage.
you just said that. hence why i dont care about your posts, thank god this one isnt a wall of text like usual LOL

You still incite flamefests and rage along your negative feedback anyway.
i heard repeating yourself is a good thing.

i probably, would make a better mod than you, just saying. like, i would just do your normal job (OH THE STRESS, IF IT GETS TO BAD I CAN CALL AZ OH MA GAWD), and then guess what. if i had to post, i wouldnt add a bunch of **** THAT I ALREADY SAID. but not everyone has common sense, and tbh, i suppose you cant have that much, considering you actually have the free time to mod this site and get ***** by metaknight LOL.

we should let BPC and jack keiser be mods, they dont actually play this game i think

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Frankly, 'negative' comments are only as hate-inciting as they are interpreted. Orion's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything, I guess we all know that. Why interpret his posts in a negative way instead of accepting whatever information or insights he gives the way one should be supposed to?

Aside of that, threads like this are to be trolled, that's a rule of the internet. With backroom members defending their 'cause' (which is what exactly?) in such a vague and inconsistent manner, I feel like it's simply getting time for the back room to be more open and AWARE of what their current position is, this does NOT mean:

- Having Pierce7d make an inactive thread which may or may make us able to know what the hell is going on.
- Be as secretive as they are, what's the real purpose of this, anyway? We *****s being mad about your decisions? Hell yeah, whether we get mad BEFORE or AFTER the relevant decision, does it really make that much of a difference?
- Have people in the back room who have recognition to neither tournament organizing nor playing the game. No offense to .joel, but he's not a good player, he doesn't organize large scale tournaments (yeah he has his reasons for that, Vienna being ****ing expensive to travel to as a main one, I don't care it doesn't change the facts) and insofar I know, he never really gets credited towards as to being a influential or widely respected person in the community. He has over 9000 posts of which I have difficulty understanding what they're composed of.

I'll just stop writing here in case of tl;dr, I didn't read the thread through and all of what I've said has probably already been said. Best case scenario: the back room gets disbanded and will be build all over from the scratch.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
LOL infractions, like they matter :laugh:
i dont think i have ever looked at them other than the pm, i doubt i will ever get to 6.
*counts his infractions*

You know, infractions are displayed in a 5-per-page format.

so.... im allowed to tell someone their idea is absolutely ***, but if they get upset about it then its my fault, even if their idea actually was completely ****ing ***. LOL yes youre a great mod, i applaud your rules.
Yes. Why not just say it's "bad", instead of saying stuff along the lines of "it's ****, just like you"? You don't seem to understand the difference between a good post and a bad one... Hence your past history with mods.

you just said that. hence why i dont care about your posts, thank god this one isnt a wall of text like usual LOL

i heard repeating yourself is a good thing.
*pats his head* It's forced stress. The point of repeating a sentence 3 times was to create emphasis so that the point wouldn't be missed. But oh well, guess you missed it anyway.

i probably, would make a better mod than you, just saying. like, i would just do your normal job (OH THE STRESS, IF IT GETS TO BAD I CAN CALL AZ OH MA GAWD), and then guess what. if i had to post, i wouldnt add a bunch of **** THAT I ALREADY SAID. but not everyone has common sense, and tbh, i suppose you cant have that much, considering you actually have the free time to mod this site and get ***** by metaknight LOL.
You're full of assumptions, an apparently, are lying to yourself to try and make yourself feel better.

1) Who cares if you make a better mod or not? With that attitude, it'll never happen. You don't seem to know what forum etiquette means, and you don't seem to care what MLG_JV says about how he wants the site to be: family-friendly. To most of your posts, you know that a simple negation without flames would be an acceptable negative criticism, but you still decide on flaming and trolling. Thus, your classification of a troll. No need to get angry, isn't this what you worked for?

2) I don't know how common sense bridges together time spent on a forum and getting ***** by MK, but whatever you say. You're the one with most common sense in this conversation. :rolleyes:

3) I bet I could 2/3-stock your MK with Kirby consistently. ;)

Frankly, 'negative' comments are only as hate-inciting as they are interpreted. Orion's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything, I guess we all know that. Why interpret his posts in a negative way instead of accepting whatever information or insights he gives the way one should be supposed to?
This forum has rules that should be followed. If everyone would go parading around with flame-filled posts and trolling attempts, we'd probably see MLG close down the website. If he can say the same thing (if not better) in a more 'acceptable' way, why would he choose to curse and piss people off instead? If it can't be helped, then he'll eventually receive enough infractions to get perma-banned from the forums and have his alts get banned as well, like gangstakirby went through recently (although he was a spammer AND troll, not a flamer and troll).

And I would take it to PMs, but if I do, either members will believe his part of the story, he will ignore the PMs, or I will be seen as someone who doesn't finish things.

This is also my last post regarding Orion. I made it clear that he is nothing but a troll in my previous replies, and simply continuing this would be "feeding the troll".

Now, back onto the topic at hand...

I'll just stop writing here in case of tl;dr, I didn't read the thread through and all of what I've said has probably already been said. Best case scenario: the back room gets disbanded and will be build all over from the scratch.
Will completely different members have to join, or would the same members of the current BBR be able to join? What if it turned out the same as it is now, or worse, then everyone thought "hey, maybe the previous BBR wasn't so bad after all"? You'd have thrown away a valuable resource simply because you believed they were bad at doing what they say they do.

D

Deleted member

There should be at least 1 main of every character in the BBR.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
*counts his infractions*

You know, infractions are displayed in a 5-per-page format.
nope. i didnt :laugh:

you understand that, if i get banned from this sight from enough infractions, i wouldnt be upset. like yeah id prolly make a petition or something, but all in all, im not the one losing out. mk boards, and occasional falco will miss my insight on shiz. ill just replace swf time w/ more fap time brah

Yes. Why not just say it's "bad", instead of saying stuff along the lines of "it's ****, just like you"? You don't seem to understand the difference between a good post and a bad one... Hence your past history with mods.
A. good and bad is subjective
B. "its **** just like you" is so white, i would NEVER type that ROFLMAO
C. because, if you get upset at someone telling you the truth, nice or not over the internet, then its not my problem.

*pats his head* It's forced stress. The point of repeating a sentence 3 times was to create emphasis so that the point wouldn't be missed. But oh well, guess you missed it anyway.
theres a difference between caring, and missing something

You're full of assumptions, an apparently, are lying to yourself to try and make yourself feel better.
wouldnt that be an assumption :laugh:

good shiz bro, i like your style. LOL

1) Who cares if you make a better mod or not? With that attitude, it'll never happen.
id rather a mod be rude but well thought and honest than a complete moron. sorry

You don't seem to know what forum etiquette means, and you don't seem to care what MLG_JV says about how he wants the site to be: family-friendly.
no idea who or what that is. i dont really care. this is the internet, kids are gonna find shiz anyway LOL

To most of your posts, you know that a simple negation without flames would be an acceptable negative criticism, but you still decide on flaming and trolling. Thus, your classification of a troll. No need to get angry, isn't this what you worked for?
once again, with the wasted reading time. NO relevance to what you even quoted. you failllll at gunning people son LOL

2) I don't know how common sense bridges together time spent on a forum and getting ***** by MK, but whatever you say. You're the one with most common sense in this conversation. :rolleyes:
:)

3) I bet I could 2/3-stock your MK with Kirby consistently. ;)
just dont sandbag game 1. key way to lose the set vs me ;D

also if i lost game 1, id prolly go ics game 3 ROFL. (hopes you dont pull out a pocket rob XD)

This forum has rules that should be followed. If everyone would go parading around with flame-filled posts and trolling attempts, we'd probably see MLG close down the website.
that would hilarious LOL

If he can say the same thing (if not better) in a more 'acceptable' way, why would he choose to curse and piss people off instead?
freedom of expression

If it can't be helped, then he'll eventually receive enough infractions to get perma-banned from the forums and have his alts get banned as well, like gangstakirby went through recently (although he was a spammer AND troll, not a flamer and troll).
yes delete like, one of the few mk mains who actually will sometimes give insight on their boards other than the VERY sparing doom LOL. problem is, i do more good than i do bad :p

And I would take it to PMs, but if I do, either members will believe his part of the story, he will ignore the PMs, or I will be seen as someone who doesn't finish things.
i only do visitor messages :D

This is also my last post regarding Orion. I made it clear that he is nothing but a troll in my previous replies, and simply continuing this would be "feeding the troll".
so... you just want to stop embarrassing yourself LOL

Now, back onto the topic at hand...

Will completely different members have to join, or would the same members of the current BBR be able to join? What if it turned out the same as it is now, or worse, then everyone thought "hey, maybe the previous BBR wasn't so bad after all"? You'd have thrown away a valuable resource simply because you believed they were bad at doing what they say they do.
no harm in trying. :D

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If it turns out the current back room is actually pretty godlike:

1. We're all doomed.
2. We'll just revert back to this back room, no harm was done. Worst case scenario: people have to spend a little bit of time inviting people back, oh well.

If it turns out the current back room is indeed rather silly:

1. Yay.

Frankly, we KNOW this back room isn't making a hell lot of sense. The back room can say they're only making up guidelines, but they seem to neglect the amount of power they end up having anyway. The back room has responsibilities, but they don't really seem to care about those if they start neglecting them.

To be honest, multiple times I've heard back room members (not gonna give names) expressing themselves negatively about the back room as a whole. Apparently, people don't care to vote for stages and people don't care to discuss characters the way they should (Lucario has been given as an example, all I could find on this discussion was a structurally poor essay on how to play Lucario, by L. Martin. The Wario discussion was equally bad if not worse, and people were just looking silly.), nothing really seems to be working out well.

As I said at the end of my previous post, I do not feel like repeating things which were already noted in this thread, because OBVIOUSLY there's more than a hundred adherent BBR members vividly reading every single post in this thread... oh wait there probably aren't.

Starting over the entire back room cannot do harm, that's all I'm saying.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

1. We're all doomed.
2. We'll just revert back to this back room, no harm was done. Worst case scenario: people have to spend a little bit of time inviting people back, oh well.

1. Yay.

Frankly, we KNOW this back room isn't making a hell lot of sense. The back room can say they're only making up guidelines, but they seem to neglect the amount of power they end up having anyway. The back room has responsibilities, but they don't really seem to care about those if they start neglecting them.

To be honest, multiple times I've heard back room members (not gonna give names) expressing themselves negatively about the back room as a whole. Apparently, people don't care to vote for stages and people don't care to discuss characters the way they should (Lucario has been given as an example, all I could find on this discussion was a structurally poor essay on how to play Lucario, by L. Martin. The Wario discussion was equally bad if not worse, and people were just looking silly.), nothing really seems to be working out well.

As I said at the end of my previous post, I do not feel like repeating things which were already noted in this thread, because OBVIOUSLY there's more than a hundred adherent BBR members vividly reading every single post in this thread... oh wait there probably aren't.

Starting over the entire back room cannot do harm, that's all I'm saying.
I don't think there's enough bad Backroom to warrant throwing the entire thing away.

I'm not even going to delve into how on Earth a new power structure would be decided upon.

Look at the four most recent discussions, they kind of got the short end of the stick because of Apex. That was just bad time management on the part of the BR; the discussions should have been postponed. As for Lucario, that discussion WAS fairly lackluster, but I think you over-estimate the amount of things that non-Lucario mains have to say about him, even outside of the Backroom. I would've definitely liked to see more discussion and more attempts to learn, but I get the feeling that even if you reconstructed the BR from the ground up, people would be just as clueless about him as they were before. Lack of knowledge concerning Lucario is a community trait, not a BR trait. (This isn't saying people are entirely void of knowledge, of course; probably everyone's played him, can tell you somewhat of how he works, and what his strengths/weaknesses are [though this last part may not be as true for those that do not have a fairly good Lucario in their region].)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

1. We're all doomed.

1. Yay.
So you're just poking at holes with a stick, hoping nothing comes out to bite you.

Just wanna single this out...
Removing a powerful usergroup TWICE is pretty dangerous for the community. It'd be pretty unstable with power being passed back and forth like that, it's easier said than done. Plus, you'd be faced with all sorts of resistance from the supporters of the newer usergroup, as well as trolls and flames from the ex-BBR supporters who believed that breaking the BBR was a bad idea.

So, it's not a "no harm done" situation. Lots of people have different views and takes on a matter, and even though your view makes it simple (and I agree it's quite simple to do those things), many many other people don't think so.

You could argue that the ones participating in the character discussions should be the ones with most experience and knowledge on those characters, but when you force people who don't know how to formulate their thoughts at the level expected of them to come into a topic they might not be familiar with ("BBR MEMBERS SHOULD BE MORE ACTIVE IN THEIR DISCUSSIONS! 20 VOTES OUT OF 100 MEMBERS", remember these argumentss in the Ruleset V3.0 thread?), you get those results.

But still, in a sense, I agree that the community should be the endorsers of the BackRooms. Ultimately, it's not the BR's that have the power, but the community that does. If no one listens to the BR's or goes to the huge BackRoomer TO's tourneys, the tourney will fail, and the power we hold will dwindle into 'just another group'. We would just be a fanclub of people who try and keep their scene alive, while everyone else is busy doing other things, completely alienated from said fanclub.

Well, I can at least speak for myself when I say I have the community's best interest in mind, and that without a community, even with the game perfectly competitive due to a perfect ruleset done under BBR standards, there would be no game at all. People look into this game for entertainment, for "fun", but some o the competitive decisions seem to rip off all trace of "fun" and "fairness" the majority of the public needs. Since we want Brawl to be a competitive fighting game, we're following fighting game rules.

An idea I had before but kept to myself was, "why do we want to make it a fighting game? Why not simply make it something related to a fighting game that we all would enjoy more?". Obviously you'd see my clash of ideals with other members of the BBR since the goal here is to make it a fighting game and not something similar to it (hence the many Sirlin followers, and people who adore calling others scrubs), so I keep some things to myself and help out with their goals in making the game as competitive as possible, even if it's just voicing my opinions, giving my votes, or bringing unknown info to the table.

Now with how far the community has gone, I don't think we'd be able to make that leap without suffering lots of dangerous internal conflicts between members who prefer the current rules, and members who would prefer a new view on Brawl. We made this game into what it is now, so now we have to make the best of our creation and try to perfect it.

And to tell you the truth... Doing something like breaking apart the BBR and forming something else is going to require waaaaaay too much effort, more than I believe our community is willing to put forth. You have to dismantle an entire user group, a whole forum, the rulesets and tier lists, then start from the ground up. This is the reason why so many past attempts at 'overthrowing the BBR' has failed, because it simply is too much work.

You know what I would love? A list of the members you guys think deserve to be in the BBR, and a list of the members you guys think SHOULDN'T be in the BBR. In this thread's a list of all the BBR members, why don't you guys start from that? This would give me insight into exactly what you all are thinking: who's agreed upon being in the BBR, and who's agreed upon being kicked out?

I'M NOT SAYING I WILL BRING IT IN THE BBR FOR DISCUSSION, NOR AM I SAYING I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT BBR AND AM UNHAPPY WITH IT. IF YOU GUYS WANT PRODUCTIVE POSTS IN THIS THREAD BESIDES THE USUAL RANTS, THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO START MOVING FORWARD. AND IF YOU FEEL YOU KNOW OF PLAYERS THAT SHOULD BE IN THE BBR, MAKE A SEPARATE LIST AS WELL.

Let's compare lists for now to see where you guys are situated. It might take some time (BBR has like 100 members!), but it's definitely productive.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You can keep rulesets and the forum 'n such lol. Just re-pick members. You're contradicting yourself by the way, by saying the community should act on its own instead of following the BBR, but at the same time acknowledging that the BBR is what made this game the way it is.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You can keep rulesets and the forum 'n such lol. Just re-pick members. You're contradicting yourself by the way, by saying the community should act on its own instead of following the BBR, but at the same time acknowledging that the BBR is what made this game the way it is.
I'm not contradicting myself at all. o_O

The BBR made the game the way it is pretty much. We began the tierlists, rulesets, stagelists, complete player rankings, etc... But the majority of community, if they are unhappy with how the BBR does things, should do something about it. merely voicing opinions does nothing, since what you want gone stays there. As with everything in life, if you and a majority of other people are unhappy with something, action is taken to improve the fairness/quality of that which you all seem to think isn't good enough. If nothing happens and even more people are affected by the poor quality of whatever real-life event is happening, they have the power of numbers to eliminate what they don't like and start from a widely-agreed upon view. That's pretty much how civil wars work, and what they have accomplished whenever they've been successful: majority of population hates the way they're treated/quality of service brought to them, and they rise up against the ones in charge.

So, i haven't contradicted myself at all. ;)

Oh, and the thing here is, many people have been vocal whenever we release rulesets, stagelists, tier lists and such, about how they dislike the change and that the BBR doesn't know what they are doing. They expect something to happen, and they never do a thing. Some BBR members tell them they should start out by making a social group and gathering members, but everyone gets so lazy they decide to just ignore it all and instead keep being vocal. So, to tell you the truth, this isn't the first time the BBR has been a target of people's anger.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
"Backroom Reform: Current Topic -> What should be the requirements of membership?"

Am I missing something?
Well, the thread is about discussing stuff pettaining BBR members. I'm a BBR member, and I'm talking about views on the BBR. I'd say we're still on-topic. :\

But sure, go ahead and state what should be requirements for BBR stuff. I'm all ears here, and am a BBR member.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i don't think you could make it more obvious that you are a bbr member, kewkky.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
chair, youre such a cutie come back to America plz

B!squick

Smash Master
If only the current BBR had more Chicken Boo. Then it wouldn't need to be reformed. :D

EDIT: Oh, I just re-read your post Inferno and I hate to break it to you, but it's just a disguise to look like human guys, he's not a man, he's a chicken.

Browny

Smash Hater
^ You have got that mixed up with smash debater.

Smash researcher is pretty much the same though now rofl

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
the current BBR is pretty bad, admission should be mostly top placing players per region[that can prove it with a tournament record] and well known/established TO's only

no exception

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
the current BBR is pretty bad, admission should be mostly top placing players per region[that can prove it with a tournament record] and well known/established TO's only

no exception
Considering the fact that not all top-placing players want to be in the BBR... How high-placing must a person be to be considered admittance into the BBR? Consistent top 2/3/5/7/10? Must be in the regions' Power Rankings?

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm still missing why "being a top player" should be a criteria to join the BBR.

This post has some very, very good reasons as to why not. Listening to players like Orion, Ally, or M2K (ADHD has gotten way better of late) post should give you a good idea as to why being a top player doesn't automatically qualify you for things like this. I gave my example of "perfectly playing robot with next to no game knowledge" vs. "guy with one arm who knows everything about smash" which is a pretty good thought experiment to disprove the concept of "top players should be BBR". I give major TOs a pass on this because, well, they are the people who hold the power. But if they weren't, then I wouldn't say being a major TO is an atuomatic inclusion either. You have to know the game well, and know it beyond just a small facet. And then you have to be non-biased. Notice how many of these things have very little to do with how good you actually are at smash? Sure, there are things like matchup knowledge that you have to be a top player to have effectively, but still...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'm still missing why "being a top player" should be a criteria to join the BBR.

This post has some very, very good reasons as to why not. Listening to players like Orion, Ally, or M2K (ADHD has gotten way better of late) post should give you a good idea as to why being a top player doesn't automatically qualify you for things like this. I gave my example of "perfectly playing robot with next to no game knowledge" vs. "guy with one arm who knows everything about smash" which is a pretty good thought experiment to disprove the concept of "top players should be BBR". I give major TOs a pass on this because, well, they are the people who hold the power. But if they weren't, then I wouldn't say being a major TO is an atuomatic inclusion either. You have to know the game well, and know it beyond just a small facet. And then you have to be non-biased. Notice how many of these things have very little to do with how good you actually are at smash? Sure, there are things like matchup knowledge that you have to be a top player to have effectively, but still...
That said, attending tourneys should still be a requirement.

But what about people who live in small regions/other countries...hmm....

NNID
Budget_Player
That said, attending tourneys should still be a requirement.

But what about people who live in small regions/other countries...hmm....
For certain organs of the BBR (remember how I was talking about splitting it up into various parts?), yes, being a top-level tournament player is absolutely essential. But for other parts, debatably so. Granted, it's better PR when only tournament players are allowed in, but they have to be smart, dammit. Being smart > being good at the game.

Top Bottom