• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Australian Smash 4 General Ruleset Discussion

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
"nobody has responded to my points"
*responds to your points*
"i have excuse to ignore everything you just posted"

You are detrimental to the entire australian smash community. I've already responded to your interview with Sakurai.
You didn't respond to my points. You just insulted me and pretended to respond. And then you did it again.

1. This was a direct response to a post earlier, which referenced me as a bandwagon ruleset supporter.

2. It's not a mistranslation. I linked it and re-translated myself. Feel free to perform a translation independently.

3. Outside of the Winner CPing customs, this doesn't address the problem I presented at all, it just pretends it doesn't exist. Winner CPing customs is silly; it reverses the CPing system lol. We just want it balanced. You'd be better trying to involve stages here to still give an advantage, but not make a landslide.

4. That doesn't make sense. It ignored my point and posted something else. How would playing a different game help us keep up? It would be like playing vanilla SF4 to get good at USF4. Sure there are similar options, but the differences in option selection and punishment choice make for a very different gaming experience. Emulating rulesets is the optimal way to get good at them.

5. My scene likes these rules and that is important to acknowledge.

6. I never said any moves were 'too good', just that they were dumb and anti competitive. Piston Punch is one, even if it's not a OHKO it's bloody close, which to me is not something I consider a healthy component of the meta (similar to Little Mac's super punch, but part of the character is the strong opportunity to KO him before can use the punch). Slippery Sapling was another, not unbeatable, but bloody stupid and anti-competitive. I'm all for making bad characters better, but making them dumb, cheap or unfun is not something I support. This was the main issue with the previous build of PM, also.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo
Australia is so far behind the competitive curve in terms of raw skill
sick hyperbole, but i'm going to call you out on it because you've taken it literally. the majority of every community is at the middle of the bell curve. every community has good and bad players. if you want to discourage our good players, go ahead. i believe a lot of aussies would have a good chance at apex. atilla did very well when he went, so i kinda have seen it for myself. venks went too (not apex but he was in the US right?), but i dont know how matched up.

you can't devote half your time to learning customs or you will fall behind the meta and find yourself unfit for top competitive play. (thats not necessarily true at all, all and any practice works towards making you better, and suggesting that learning customs is so hard that it would make you unable to perform at top level is very silly if you stop and think about it, no?)
it is true in this context though. if more important tournaments are not using customs, you will be at a disadvantage for spending time that OTHERWISE could have been spent furthering your ability to play in non-customs. are you even thinking? it's not about difficulty, it's about time.

I never brought up the hypocritical thing, that was shaya, but while we are at it, haven't the majority of your posts in this thread been pointless passive aggressive trolling that contributes nothing?
why are you bringing shaya into this, i know he posted that. you posted it too though to call atilla out, but now im using it to call you out. get it?
some of my posts have actual points; but they are dumb yeah i'll admit. aerodrome gave it a shot with his Christianity post too. its pretty fun so i cant blame him.
My main concern, and the thing I hate the most, is stupidity and ignorance.
jesus what. am i responding to someone with a superiority complex? naw. you can be constructive without being a euphoric nerd. im a hypocrite though as well so i can only partly blame you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if atilla thinks that going along with the popular tournaments will equip players best to compete at those tournaments, then sure good on him for thinking like that
Did I not already say exactly what you just said?
no i dont read your posts.
you cant make judgements on things till you trial them and give them time to prove themselves
time is mana. some people want to stay on par with the meta rather than trial things. thats why following the popular ruleset is a legit choice remember?
all you are doing is helping prove my point that none of you are using your brains
haha <3

again, more or less this, but the point is that in order to get a better grip on what it is we are really arguing about, we need to try it out and get some real hard data and experience.
thanks, we can agree on something. isn't it good that both states are trying out each option then?

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I really can't imagine Smash in Melbourne without @ Attila_ Attila_ . Not to discredit the hard work other amazing players put in, but I've been to a lot of events in Melbourne and every time I saw Attila putting in the time and effort to make things work as efficiently as possible. I don't agree with a lot of Attila's views and I think he's not the best at responding to points other people bring up, but he's definitely a great member of the community.

The sample size of the placings doesn't show too much and I think it would mean less and less during the early days since not everyone knows the best strategy with and without customs for their characters. As time went by, if we keep having customs tournies alongside non-customs, I do believe a legitimate impact could be observed.

I think most people are happy with the assortment of viable characters in this game. It is still early days but it feels like there are a wide range of good choices to compete with. But we can't be sure. Likewise, we can't be sure customs will "improve" the tier list or make the gap between the top few characters and the rest smaller. From what has been seen, people may perceive that customs aren't going to be beneficial in this regard because while we know Diddy is very good, it doesn't appear from an outside perspective to be as obnoxious as Villagers customs. No-one really knows, but for me personally from what I've seen I'm very content with how the characters feel and who feels viable in non-custom play. I don't believe the chances are good that customs will improve it, but this is not the reason I am personally against customs.

It's not just about tier list Venks, but some people believe the extra few moves and the counterpicking around them could take away from the core experience. Some people just want to "play the game" and "get good" which means they would like to follow the norm and perfect their play rather than the ruleset - which is why latching onto the decisions of major tournaments is justified. And there are some other things too yes, but some people also think it would be bad for the tier list. But that's not the only reason.

Also saying that V would be guaranteed first place with customs is not only rude but also not a good case for why it would improve the tier list. Tibs' advantage lies more in actually being good at the game rather than his character.
I'm happy with the list of viable characters. I personally think the entire roster is competitively viable. Until I see something otherwise this game is incredibly well balanced. Obviously certain characters are better than others, but it's not that bad.

Diddy not as obnoxious as Villager customs? That's your opinion. I'll take a Villager with trip sapling any day over Diddy Kong.
I find any Villager who isn't Venus to be incredibly free, trip sapling is no instant win. The sapling is just a tool that makes it easier for Villager to control space.
Diddys seem to be pretty good in a lot of hands. Armada, M2K, and ZeRo all use Diddy and have said they just use the character because he's the easiest to be good with. It doesn't require the same amount of effort you'd have to put in with other characters. Seeing characters with so many safe, high damaging options frustrates me to no end.
Again I'm not saying Diddy is OP or anything. He has a few bad matchups and people are learning how to fight Diddy.
I just personally find him the most obnoxious character in the game.

For me customs have nothing to do with Diddy, that's just an added bonus. It's about creating more interesting matchups. People already have their own takes on characters with their own playstyles. With the addition of custom moves we will see even more variety in any given set. This obviously seems like something to strive for from a spectating perspective. Especially since the vast majority of Smash players are in favor of customs themselves.

I don't mean to be rude to Tibs. The guy is easily one of the best Smash players I've ever seen in Melbourne. He plays the game a lot better than most other placers in Top 8. I've watched a lot of his matches and I'm really impressed with his ability to control space and cover multiple options at once.
My comment has more to do with how confident I am in V's abilities. She won every 3DS tournament and has been placing 2nd in Couch Warrior's Wii U tournaments. Melbourne's Top 8 players are all scary good at this game. For her to consistently trump them time and time again and make her way to Winners Finals and Grand Finals is impressive.
If customs eventually become the norm then I'm expecting her to dominate for a long while until people finally get their knowledge of customs up to her level.

Apex is the international premiere event but it by no means intends to set the standard for the future at this early stage of the game's life.
Straight up.

We had our own spins on rulesets for years, Australias rulesets were within their own; people's who's opinions were generally listened to were the guys you saw be apart of discussion internationally and had a vested and keen interest for knowledge and adjudicating a fair rule set. We went towards Apex towards the later years because our own scene had developed somewhat independently towards the same point as well.

Now for the first smash 4 international tournament, technically 2 months after it's release, skill and understanding of the game are going to be well below a standard worth giving it the notoriety of 'the standard'.

Now customs can be ickie right now, but they're worth testing out/developing. I'm not sure if right now is the best time to do so, but at the same time when will any other time be the right time (MK-ban arguments :p)
We as human beings will always have a status quo tendency. When it comes to customs the danger is that in a few months/years time when we're looking at potentially spicing up the game (a time something like customs would be looked at) the best players (i.e. those with the loudest voices in social-media-esque stuff) are going to prefer the game they have and are winning in over one they'd have to sit down and relearn or be at a knowledge deficit in compared to someone else. Anyone going to believe otherwise?

Now customs have a few quirks that are at first glance obnoxious. We know of trip sapplings, heck Venks is sure that V would win custom tournaments because of these (and some other customs too!). Making certain characters more viable to the point of not improving the game by the damage they wrath; Villager customs stall games almost indefinitely - are the best characters we perceive right now have much of a chance? If they don't, and no one else doesn't, that's an issue. Who's going to agree to cull Villager custom choices? How much frustration should be put onto players when there's an easier option out there they are mentally aligned to and are willing to come to terms with the broken that exists (diddy dthrow! etc)? How long is it going to take?

Anyway, it's all a big problem. We have two solid stances - Making our large scene stronger, faster (to an 'international' standard) and trying to find the best "game" possible with the new options (customs) that exist. Tournament resources aren't going to allow both to exist in parallel at the same event. However bigger scenes in the USA right now are having multiple tournaments per week, including weekdays with solid numbers. Supporting both stances would be better than only supporting one (although I'm firm that the latter is still helpful for skill universally, you will be behind the former 'meta' which by whatever reason is more common at this point but not by too much IMO; [you should have multiple characters under your belt anyway]).

A lot of my chagrin about the former is that people's opinions on the alternative seems to get worse as time goes on without even attempting it (or ever attempting it) as a serious thing. When characters were chosen and they weren't as compatible with customs-environment, it was the rules fault rather than the player's choice. But it goes both ways.

Rant rant verbatim point concluded later maybe.
There's no need to ban any custom moves.
Trip Sapling is an incredibly good custom move that requires little effort to get a lot out of it. The main problem here is actually V the player and not the actual move itself. It took me a good week or so of playing V regularly before I could beat her custom Villager with Little Mac, DK, and Sheik. And even now I still find it really difficult.
But I play in a lot of the online tournaments posted on r/smashbros, including the awesome ones hosted by Hypest - @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , and some of them have custom moves enabled. I can't tell you how easy the other Villagers are. Personal experience aside, no Villagers with custom moves are dominating any tournaments.

And when does Villager customs 'stall' games? Stalling is when Ice Climbers are pummeling over 300% or Meta Knight is flying around and planking to eternity. Is Diddy Kong stalling if he tosses a banana down and starts shooting his peanut popgun?
No. That would definitely be space control. Which is the same thing Villager does with his sapling and slingshots. Villager gets the benefit of the sapling staying in place for a long time, but it is immobile and therefor it doesn't have an offensive advantage like the banana does in Diddy's hands. Instead Villager gets a defensive advantage that makes it easier for Villager to "win" neutral though the damage is a lot smaller.

@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo

Do you actually want to play a game with a character that can stall game indefinitely? Is that something we actually want in the meta?

As stated earlier, no custom move is unbeatable, but they certainly can make the game stall-ish and anti-competitive.
I've yet to see a custom move that removes competition from Smash Bros. And I've also not yet seen a move that makes it so neither player can gain a lead over the other. There are definitely custom moves that benefit zoning more than what we see in default special moves. And personally I would like to see more matches in Smash Bros that have a emphasis on zoning.
Yukiko is my main in Persona 4 Arena and she's all about zoning. I've gotten a lot of hate in tournaments for playing "lame" and not approaching. But zoning has been a part of the FGC since Hadouken.

You didn't respond to my points. You just insulted me and pretended to respond. And then you did it again.

1. This was a direct response to a post earlier, which referenced me as a bandwagon ruleset supporter.

2. It's not a mistranslation. I linked it and re-translated myself. Feel free to perform a translation independently.

3. Outside of the Winner CPing customs, this doesn't address the problem I presented at all, it just pretends it doesn't exist. Winner CPing customs is silly; it reverses the CPing system lol. We just want it balanced. You'd be better trying to involve stages here to still give an advantage, but not make a landslide.

4. That doesn't make sense. It ignored my point and posted something else. How would playing a different game help us keep up? It would be like playing vanilla SF4 to get good at USF4. Sure there are similar options, but the differences in option selection and punishment choice make for a very different gaming experience. Emulating rulesets is the optimal way to get good at them.

5. My scene likes these rules and that is important to acknowledge.

6. I never said any moves were 'too good', just that they were dumb and anti competitive. Piston Punch is one, even if it's not a OHKO it's bloody close, which to me is not something I consider a healthy component of the meta (similar to Little Mac's super punch, but part of the character is the strong opportunity to KO him before can use the punch). Slippery Sapling was another, not unbeatable, but bloody stupid and anti-competitive. I'm all for making bad characters better, but making them dumb, cheap or unfun is not something I support. This was the main issue with the previous build of PM, also.
In the CPing process the Winner bans stages first to hopefully protect himself, but Loser still picks the stage which ideally is supposed to give him an advantage. The Winner can change to a different character to give him a better chance on the stage, but again Loser picks character last so there is a chance it can still be a bad matchup with a good advantage for the Loser.

Custom moves seem the exact same. Winner chooses customs first to hopefully help with the matchup, but Loser picks customs last so that ideally he has the advantage. Obviously the Loser needs to keep in mind his opponent's preferences for stage, character, and customs or he might make a poor choice.
I personally feel custom moves don't have as big of an impact on counter-picking as stage and character do. I've personally never cared what custom moves my opponent was using as long as I knew what they did. I've yet to see a custom move effect me as much as changing the stage to Delfino Plaza or a sudden counter-pick Sheik appearing.

I disagree about the comparison between SF4 and USF4 to customs and no-customs. With customs on you still have the exact same frame-data for all of your normal attacks. The only difference would be up to four special moves. Also customs-on doesn't suddenly add new mechanics like delayed wake-up or Red Focus. Heck even SF's Omega Mode and USFIV wouldn't be a fair comparison.
It would be like if there was a version of Street Fighter where Ryu's Hadouken had an alternate that worked like Sakura's Hadoushou and an alternate that worked like Guile's Sonic Boom. Oh and I guess he could also have a Shoruken with more power, but no invincibility or a Tatsumaki with more knock back.

Have you seen Street Fighter V? It appears all of the characters will be able to use meter to go into stances that add new attributes to their special moves. I don't feel these stances invalidate non-stance play. They do add "differences in option selection and punishment choice" and it does "make for a very different gaming experience", but that's just part of the game.
Personally I applaud Capcom's direction in making the game more varied and interesting.

Piston Punch is definitely dumb. It's not half as good as you probably think it is. I mean down-throw+up special is pretty annoying, but it's not a combo like Diddy's down-throw+up air and it doesn't OHKO half as easy as people make it out to be.
Ice Climbers are waaaaaaaaaay more consistent towards touch of death than Mii Brawler. The difference is ridiculous and I have no idea why people even care about Piston Punch. These people should probably play against more Mii Brawlers or try the character out themselves to see why it isn't such a big deal. I can understand people calling Ice Climbers anti-competitive and why some tournaments banned wobbling.

Mii Brawlers are actually turning to Helicopter Kick as the choice up-special because it is more consistent as a damage builder, a reliable KO move around 90~100%, and is safer on whiff. Though it isn't the best for recovering and makes Mii Brawler pretty easy to gimp.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
@ Attila_ Attila_
Sakurai's response that you referenced is in regards to casual online play, as can be seen by the question he was answering:

'---That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?'
Sakura: 'When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*'

I kinda agree with Sakurai here since when playing online your opponent has no information on what your character and customs choices your making, which does make it a little cheatish to have these options.

However we are talking about local play in competition, where all information is known to your opponent, which makes the article you posted and the line referenced irrelevant to this discussion.

Sakurai doesn't deem the whole game or the series competitive, not just custom moves, as is evidenced by the countless interviews he has done since Melee. Yet the smash community still play the game in competition in a way that Sakurai never intended.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
"I'm sorry you took offence to that, could you please respond to my post?" if you really wanted to progress the discussion.
I'd quickly like to address this since I dislike the perception here. If someone says something that insults you, saying "I'm sorry you took offence to that" is literally one of the worst, most passive-aggressive things to say to them lol. It implies they are the ones in the wrong for taking offence which is simply not true... ever. Insults are insults, "i'm sorry for making that remark" is the correct response and ideally, sentiment...

Anyway, in a game so oriented towards footsies and how aggression can be the best defense, it actually doesn't make me feel bad that there are characters who would benefit from a more campy playstyle such as villager. It just adds another playstyle that is open for players, and we should not be denying those people a chance to have that playstyle open to them because we don't like it. It frustrates me going against a campy Link player but at the end of the day I much prefer that the option for them is there to be that campy because 1. It contributes to their character's overall viability and 2. it means the game is bigger with more aspects to it that inherently give it a longer life span because learning and CP-ing playstyles is more varied. Once again I point to the fox v fox FD metaphor and that having a more filled out roster increases a game's competitive lifespan.

Also, many customs that make characters better (usually good by itself) aren't even that campy anyway, or at least don't appear to be that way at this point in time. DK's upB3 is insanely good and doesn't promote that kind of play, nor does Aether drive for Ike, or void reflector, or lightweight, or wizard dropkick, or... (I can go on :) )

Last edited:

Attila_

BRoomer
@ Attila_ Attila_
Sakurai's response that you referenced is in regards to casual online play, as can be seen by the question he was answering:

'---That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?'
Sakura: 'When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*'

I kinda agree with Sakurai here since when playing online your opponent has no information on what your character and customs choices your making, which does make it a little cheatish to have these options.

However we are talking about local play in competition, where all information is known to your opponent, which makes the article you posted and the line referenced irrelevant to this discussion.

Sakurai doesn't deem the whole game or the series competitive, not just custom moves, as is evidenced by the countless interviews he has done since Melee. Yet the smash community still play the game in competition in a way that Sakurai never intended.
kk, history time.

Shaya raised the possibility of Sakurai releasing a 'tourney pack' of sorts, such that we could have copies of the game with everything unlocked for tourney play.

I posted this article saying that Sakurai doesn't care for competitive smash, and that Sakurai thinks that customized moves are cheap. Which he does specify quite clearly.

Pazx said it was mistranslated, which as I showed, it was not.

So that brings us to this point. That is why I brought up the article, not because I particularly value Sakurai's opinion on the matter. I posted all of this because I can't see Sakurai remedying logistical issues. Geez.

Should be noted that Sakurai makes no mention of why he thinks playing with custom moves against friends is illegitimate/cheap, he simply states that it is. The presumed reason stated of 'not knowing your opponent' doesn't fly well when talking about your friends; you probably have a pretty good idea of their characters and preferred sets.

Gords

Smash Champion
kk, history time.

Shaya raised the possibility of Sakurai releasing a 'tourney pack' of sorts, such that we could have copies of the game with everything unlocked for tourney play.
Shaya is bringing up an unlikely future, we are talking about the here and now. So Shaya's point irrelavant to our discussion.

I posted this article saying that Sakurai doesn't care for competitive smash, and that Sakurai thinks that customized moves are cheap. Which he does specify quite clearly.
Yes, Sakurai said he thinks customized moves are cheap IN ONLINE PLAY. We are talking about competition. His point irrelevant to our discussion.

Pazx said it was mistranslated, which as I showed, it was not.

So that brings us to this point. That is why I brought up the article, not because I particularly value Sakurai's opinion on the matter. I posted all of this because I can't see Sakurai remedying logistical issues. Geez.
I agree with yours and the articles translation of Sakurai's response. I also agree that Sakurai will not remedy the logistical issues with Smash 4.

Should be noted that Sakurai makes no mention of why he thinks playing with custom moves against friends is illegitimate/cheap, he simply states that it is. The presumed reason stated of 'not knowing your opponent' doesn't fly well when talking about your friends; you probably have a pretty good idea of their characters and preferred sets.
Firstly, I never presumed or said that the 'not knowing your opponent' was the reason why Sakurai thinks playing with customs online is illegitimate/cheap. It is my reasons as to why I kinda agree with him.
Secondly, I have 2 sets I like playing with Link, I prefer one with default bomb over the other yes but if I see you are playing a little Mac often who is to say I don't change to the other out of the blue to Meteor Bomb. Not much of an arguement but that's why I only 'kinda agree' with Sakurai.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I had heard about the horrors of this thread.... I was warned never to come here... but @ Venks Venks had to tag me, so come I did...

Anyways I'm not an Australian but I am a TO that has ran with customs on (since a lot of players coming to our events have said how much they like having them on). We also are doing this ONLINE which means we have had to risk equipment fraud. Only one player has cheated so far in the history of our events on that front too which has been astounding that everyone has upheld our honor code on no equipment.

Anyways, here is what I personally hear from people who are entering my events. I'll say the good and bads and be impartial here since I really wanna provide what players enjoy without breaking the game horribly (no I will not legalize Pilotwings >=( )

Players have enjoyed the ability to definitely boost up certain characters. Some people know their character isn't super high tier or has weaknesses, and these customs have made it so some characters can seriously compete (I hear this about Palutena a lot, but also Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Donkey Kong, all of the Miis, Ganondorf, and a bunch more here and there). Some folks really do feel it helps more characters have a shot at being viable in the game and enjoy the character variety.

However others have pointed out it doesn't just make all characters more amazing. It may make it so more characters are at that "you would win a tournament with them" level, but it mostly just shifts around where the tier list is. There are still top tiers and low tiers with customs on, it doesn't cure the game like some folks think. Now the game is pretty well balanced from what we see so far (I think every single character has at least one matchup they can counter in) so I can't honestly say if customs really improve or change that balance much since I like evidence outside of theory-craft and logic work.

Online folks have discussed how customs has a slight benefit. You only have to unlock the moves for the characters YOU use so you can go and play as them. However I cannot entirely agree with this. Even if it's just messing with CPUs to understand how certain moves work you really need to unlock all customs to be able to properly practice with them. This is a serious barrier to entry for new players trying to learn the meta and a lot of times most folks have just plain used only the normal moves for this reason.

This does leave you with thoughts on how to work Palutena and Miis though, both of which come with their moves unlocked and were obviously designed around them. Miis can even use custom moves with customs turned off, so in all honesty there is no need to restricted their moveset (it's logistically easy to implement guest miis and Smash 4 Worldwide has 1600+ people and we're doing it), but poor Palutena is stuck. If you turn customs on JUST for her is that fair? It's a tough thing to sort out and I'm not sure I have an answer.

Anyways I'd love to discuss anything else too, not just customs so if anyone cares what this US TO thinks who has done some weird stuff to test it (weird stages, alternate stage selecting procedures) ask away!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
All I know is that community managers and other high ups of Nintendo have been asked for a TO-pack and are aware we want one. The weight of this in the past would have been negligible as there was no "top-brass" communication channels between themselves and competitive smashers. Sakurai could 'veto' it, but it may actually be outside of his realm for once. If the rate at which Nintendo continues to improve it's support of our scene then I could see it being a real possibility.

That shouldn't necessarily be a point for having them legal now in lieu of it 'eventually happening'.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I'd like to talk about the game mode that really matters. Smash Tour Quadles.
In Victoria we have Big Battlefield Windy Hill Zone and Ω and we used to have Temple but quickly realised that was a bad idea. We can probably add Pyrosphere to this (there are no hazards in triples or quadles) since it is roughly the same length as Ω, probably as a starter instead of Windy Hill Zone which gets demoted to counterpick. Norfair might also be an interesting choice I guess (no lava) but I would need to play-test it.

Duck Hunt and Pokémon Stadium 2 (no transformations... at least it didn't with eight players) should be fine for triples.

earla

Smash Lord
apex thoughts?

it may be worth exploring one stock and removing stages that assist players camping/time out games.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
apex thoughts?

it may be worth exploring one stock and removing stages that assist players camping/time out games.
I think we should just stick to 2 or 3 stock. 1 stock doesn't sound good to me honestly :/

Also, its certainly doable to win against a character that favors stages like Duck Hunt, where you can camp easily.

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer can vouch for me at least. I took a few stocks off him in Duck Hunt with Mac.

earla

Smash Lord
We aren't discussing mac or if it's doable to win on duck hunt. That conversations already happened.

Concern is, smash is expanding rapidly and viewers matter.

Was that satisfying as a spectator?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
We aren't discussing mac or if it's doable to win on duck hunt. That conversations already happened.

Concern is, smash is expanding rapidly and viewers matter.

Was that satisfying as a spectator?
Hello?
I simply responded to this lol. I just used Duck Hunt as a specific example.

If Mac is able to beat someone camping on the tree in Duck Hunt or any stage that can favour camping ALOT like Duck Hunt, then there is no point in removing them.

Like I said, its doable, so there you go.
Lets not argue bruh.

Also to your last point, yes it is good.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah I like 2 stock it is decent across multiple playstyles and allows room for characters like Pac-Man and Rosalina and people using slow playstyles against Little Mac, without being stupidly short for a Sheik/Diddy/Sonic match.

what i dont understand is why smash4 has a 7 minute timer, especially when melee has 8.

Isn't the point of the timer so that matches finish on time and to disuade stalling?
If so, smash4 should be allocated at least the same amount of time as Melee; and it should be higher if you wanted to disuade stalling towards the end of the match. IF there was an 8 minute timer in Abadango vs. Dabuz, it would have gone longer but the part at the end of each game where they were forced to play stupidly aggressive to try and get the lead back could've been avoided. The matches went that long naturally, not because stalling tactics were being heavily employed; until the last minute when it was apparent there could/would be a timeout.

Last edited:

Attila_

BRoomer
Apex smash 4 ran on a 6 minute timer; increasing to 8 minutes would definitely make a difference.

At the same time, Earl is making plenty of sense here. The second stock is largely a formality at this point; the winner of the first stock almost always takes match. Defensive play is really strong in this game, and the rage mechanic makes comebacks even more difficult.

The only real reason for keeping two stock as a rule is that people like 2 stock. While this is a pretty irrational, it's important, as rulesets need to be popular to be effective.

From a stage perspective, I can't see a more conservative list speeding up the game. I watched a large amount of S4 at Apex (not all) and barely saw any matches on duck hunt or CS One could argue that if no one wants to play there, they could be removed from the list. But I suppose I'm not convinced at this point.

Most timeouts were playstyle dependent, and could've happened on any stage. As in the case of the abadango vs dabuz set.

And for the record, little mac can't win against someone timing them out on duck hunt. I showed earl the method at the last monthly. Unless mac has the percent lead at ALL times, he cant win. Maybe we'll make a recording.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
If you want a better spectator experience turn customs on. Then you won't get the same old **** every game. During my time at apex whenever I saw a 1v1 on stream there was either a diddy or a sheik (apart from dubuz vs that sonic player)

Maybe with customs on we will see more specials in general other than needles and bananas

Last edited:

Attila_

BRoomer
Actually, it's pretty fair to say that diddy was less dominant at Apex than most people expected. The character spread was decent; not sure if this is a sign that the meta is healthy or if diddy/sheik mains don't know mus. Time will tell.

There really isn't any evidence to suggest that customs will keep things fresh, nor will they knock diddy/sheik from grace. If characters are fundementally flawed, a few silly moves won't necessary make them good. It might make them janky or stupid, however.

Last edited:

_Iggy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ignis_Sphaera
I'd say in terms of Apex the character line-up was pretty diverse, especially for Smash 4. Of course, I think we're going to see this diversity slowly dissipate as the meta defines itself and characters show their dominance.
While Diddy may seem to be the best character at the moment who knows if that's how it will always be?
Remember in Melee there was a time Marth was considered the best character, now Fox has overtaken him. Give the game some time to develop, it'll get there of its own accord.

Now let's keep a few things in mind here in regards to rulings.
1. This game is still in its infant stages and will be for a while, I'd say it's okay to experiment with now rulesets and try things out to find out what works best.
Melee used to be 5 stocks, and stages like Mute City and Rainbow Cruise were legal. ITEMS were the norm for a while after the game released, now it has been streamlined from trying things and finding they work
2. After watching Apex, I'm at the conclusion that 2 stocks is simply too much. Something needs to be done to change it, whether it be reducing the stock limit to 1, increasing time limit, or even something as ridiculous as lightning mode or something because some of those games (especially some of the stalling ones) were quite painful to sit through.

My idea is this, 1 stock but have the entire tournament as best of 5; even having the finals be best of 7.
As it stands now, a best of 3 is 4 stocks total for both players. A best of 5 with 1 stock is 3 stocks total for both players.
the other thing that 1 stock will do is reduce how powerful rage is in the large scheme of the match. It will reduce the overall effectiveness of a raged Diddy, or Heavies KOing ridiculously early.

Splice

Smash Hero
About changing to 1 stock:
pretty sure Zero got the first stock against M2K with his Falcon but still lost that game.
atm changing to 1 stock wouldn't be bad for me because of an irrational liking of it; I'm better than other people at coming back from losing the first stock, partly because I main Sonic. Also, you can use the 2nd stock to learn things about the player and character even if you lose that match. You can apply what you learn in the next match.
My results would change for suree. An example just from last monthly, I would have come 17th not 5th if it was 1 stock.

About character variety:
There were 3 sheiks and 4 diddys in top 16 and great character variation between. This amount of top tiering is not obnoxious to me and I really enjoyed the matches. I don't understand how adding customs would make for more enjoyable viewing, myself and a lot of other spectators would just have a harder time understanding everything, but there's no guarantee customs would make the character pool bigger or create more entertaining matches.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
customs = more viable characters = more options for all characters = better for everyone

if you wouldn't understand games with customs on you need to familiarise yourself with them, we can't hold back the meta because someone doesn't want to bother learning what things do

Splice

Smash Hero
customs = more viable characters = more options for all characters = better for everyone

if you wouldn't understand games with customs on you need to familiarise yourself with them, we can't hold back the meta because someone doesn't want to bother learning what things do
There is nothing to prove that customs=more viable characters, so don't state your opinion as fact. That's just your perception.

People are complaining about the viewership experience, which also has nothing to do (well not directly) with the meta. There are people who are spectators and watch the game without knowing every nook and cranny of functionality, and we are talking about their viewing experience. If someone is claiming we should add customs to improve a spectator experience, why can't I argue that they would not improve the spectator experience? I wasn't responding to an issue that was concerning the competitive development of the game.

Also, we can hold back the meta, and everything we're talking about here does that in some way, please put it into perspective. The game may develop into something we deem less competitive, it's not always improvement. In fact holding back is a horrible way to put it; adding and removing features changes competitive aspects of the game, for better or worse. The better or worse part is where opinions come into it.

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I prefer two-stock. It allows for more come-backs and I'm definitely a player that wins a lot even after losing my stock first. One Stock Bo5 isn't the same in regards to learning your opponent and making a comeback due to stage and character switches after every stock.

Personally I don't really care too much what happens to the stage list as long as I have enough strikes to ban stages I don't like. Though the 13 Starter Stage Striking system looks pretty interesting for increasing viewability.

I'm also very happy with the character diversity at Apex. And while I know a lot of people didn't enjoy the Pac-Man vs Rosalina set at Top 8 I personally enjoyed it a lot. That Pac-Man was incredibly hype and showed off a lot of interesting ways to control the stage from certain angles and cool ways to pressure the opponent. Even when Rosalina was using Gravitational Pull in the second match Pac-Man was doing a great job catching the item as it was pulled in and then using that to mix between z-drop to fire hydrant or threatening to throw, but going for up+B against Rosalina's shield instead. The platforms on Lylat really messed him up as he had so much trouble avoiding Rosalina's up smashes and up airs.
Zoning tends to be anti-hype for non-FGC viewers who don't appreciate the finer aspects and you see the same negative responses in Street Fighter and Marvel. There really isn't a way to fix this.

As for custom moves I still think they would make the game more interesting.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
While I'm not against it, I'm not convinced the 13 starter stage system would increase viewability, but I do hope to see less Smashville/Town&City/FD. Ampharos mentions it doesn't really take a longer time, but it definitely can especially in high stakes matches when people are trying quite hard. I for one try to think in advance what my opponents bans would be as well and that could take time if I'm up against an unfamiliar character.

As a player, I would like the 13 starter stage system but I imagine there would be weird scenarios where neither player wants to rely on Castle Siege (for example) as a starter, and both players are kind of playing chicken to get the other guy to ban it.
It's worth noting there is no reason it couldn't be a 11 or 9 starter stage system if we had issues with stages though.

Attila_

BRoomer
It all comes down to what we want our meta to be comprised of. If you think CS and Skyloft make great games and fun tourneys, that's great. If you don't, that's great too.

An obvious trend in previous smash games is for players to generally prefer flatter stages without hazards or external factors. That is, players typically prefer a more conservative ruleset.

While we don't really know if this will be the case for smash 4, if the past is anything to go by, people will probably want to cut out the jank.

As an aside, larger, jankier stages are generally more likely to involve timeouts or run-away. So if you want that out of your meta, you probably should shift towards a more standard list.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't know why but I suspect there's more to the 'first person taking stock usually wins it' thing than you're saying Attila. Several times over recent tournaments I was involved in, I know for a fact that a few of my WF and GF games against Shaya and Kira, I lost the first stock and won those games and the same I believe happened in the tournament in early january. Back in Brawl, pools being run as 1-stock at BAM 2014 resulted in that upset which I don't believe would have occurred in 2 or 3 stock matches. I certainly think there's something to be said for 2 or 1 stock matches, particularly after what Shaya mentioned back after BAM 2014 about it potentially being better for our scene in particular... however I'm not so sure we can immediately jump to the idea that first stock = probably taking the game should be the norm at this stage in the meta.

Ionno, I'm not really here for a while, so whatever. But it's probably something worth thinking about. =)

Attila_

BRoomer
Luco beat me in pools.

I deserved to lose because I was playing off-stage as snake. If I played like that will three stock the same thing would've happened.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Luco beat me in pools.

I deserved to lose because I was playing off-stage as snake. If I played like that will three stock the same thing would've happened.
Sure, but I have no doubt as a competent smasher that you would have realised that as we played. I suspect even that because the games were so broken up, it was harder for you to adapt to it, and the last game in that set was an SD, pure and simple. Why should SDs determine whole games (the set, in our case: We were 2-2 at that point), you know?

Attila_

BRoomer
Sure, but I have no doubt as a competent smasher that you would have realised that as we played. I suspect even that because the games were so broken up, it was harder for you to adapt to it, and the last game in that set was an SD, pure and simple. Why should SDs determine whole games (the set, in our case: We were 2-2 at that point), you know?
Top players should play like to players all the time, not just on their last stock. They'll be much better at the game if they think like that.

Myself included.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Players (here) prefer 3 stock, 2 stocks is superfluous because of rage. Smash 4 matches didn't go on as long as people thought, gaps between matches took up a lot of time, significantly more than Melee.
Diddy dominated Apex, just very quietly. Seeding was ******** and despicable towards some of the best players on Earth. I don't really care for what the top 16 characters say about the meta, because it was practically constructed from the ground up to favour EC and have the best players knock each other out.
Among other things apparently Diddy has more tournament victories right now on smashrankings than any other 'top tier' combined (sheik, zss, pika, ness, luigi, etc)

Right now I think a lot more stage diversity would be good. Transforming stages with brief hazards do favour specific characters (ie mobility > all) but at least there is... diversity. Something I think viewers would prefer - over seeing just smashville every match. I tend to not feel that strong zoners/campers benefit from them beyond Villager; but that's a toxic PoS character no matter what anyway.

Last edited:

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Not that I will be around for it, but 1 stock to me defeats a lot possibilities. You get someone die to a gimp they've never come across before, and then no time to adapt and prove themselves the overall better player.
Tennis players try for an ace on their first serve knowing they have the second one to fall back on. One stock i feel would only make the game more campy, and chance based attacks like 9's and misfires would be all the more influential with the victim having no chance to shrug it off and recover.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
1 stock is ********.

Why do all fighting games (and lots of sports) do things like best of 3's? Why do finals jump up to best of 5's?
Its because, in theory at least, the longer something goes on for the more chance there is that the player who is playing better will win, anyone who has any background in statistics will understand this concept very well.
I cant read this thread anymore, I weep for the future of our world.

Top Bottom