• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Some other things that came to mind...

B-air can be a useful tool. It can act as a wall of hitboxes and will prevent poorly spaced approaches by opponents. It works to give you some breathing room if you are being overwhelmed. Bair also applies a moderate amount of damage and can combo into a quick U-air (depending of opponent DI). Just be careful using Bair on grounded opponents at low damage. I want to say it can be effectively Crouch-Cancelled (CC), but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that.
On that note, try and utilize CC as a tool to neutralize the effectiveness of weak tilts or aerials by opponents. Attacks like marth's fair or shiek's F-tilt lose their spacing potency when you just CC to counter attack.

Zone46

Smash Rookie
Thank you guys for the Feedback, I'm glad there's an active yoshi community to see about the do's and don'ts of yoshi.. I will try to post a video or some type of progress to make sure I'm doing it right. Thankyou again :3

yo zone i'll teach you some techs and other yoshi stuff if i see you at a tourney in nc. :)
I look forward to your teachings of yoshi. Slasher and Marty told me you were really good. i hope to get to yours, angels and vman's yoshi's status soon.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
^Here's to hoping you do get some nice progress going, Zone.

Any recording of your play can be beneficial. That and questions are always good to have as they stimulate discussion (We've been lacking yoshi discussion for a while).

I've been quite a lurker in the past but I'm trying to change that. ;D

@Bing, Thanks!

Adict

Smash Cadet
I've been quite a lurker in the past but I'm trying to change that. ;D
as someone who has witness his lurking firsthand, hes a pro lurker. seen this guy hide on his roof hiding behind a basketball hoop to scare someone as she entered his property. was epic

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Idk thats a pretty rough match-up. I'd compare it a bit more to wasp vs spider. Wasp has the advantage, but spider can always get a hit or two to even it out.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
What do Yoshi mains think about the matchup vs. Peach? I feel like it could be one of Yoshi's worst matchups for sure

:phone:

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
its like... crazy.
peach just does what she wants. she combos stupid things into moves i dont like AND THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO!!!

but on the real i think sheik isnt as hard as peach. hard to combo and harder to kill. and cant really edge gaurd her if the peach has half a brain.. lol
hdfjkhdksdhgkjdhklsd

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I totally agree. I believe the Sheik matchup is more manageable for Yoshi than Peach. Peach just takes a **** on all of Yoshi's options

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
It might stuff an aerial approach, but Yoshi's eggs have never really bothered me. Plus Im pretty sure she can break through Yoshi's eggs with well timed aerials

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Basically what Yoshi wants to do vs. Peach is:
- try to use eggs to build up damage
- juggle her in the air with up air
- utilize the super armor on his second jump to beat out Peach's priority and possibly sneak in a kill that way
-bait/punish her FC aerials when she lands. This can be kinda hard, but most noticeable when Peach is trying to space Fair.
-be super careful with crouch cancelling. Peach's downsmash makes this matchup almost unfair xD

leffen

Smash Champion
lol silly kyle that is a horribly inaccurate explanation of the matchup

you can easily punish dsmash by shielding and good DI makes it impossible for peach to follow up if yoshi gets hit

usmash beats all of her aerials

parrying fc fairs breaks the matchup

being able to actually shield drop out of pressure 100%of the time breaks this matchup
too bad noone but me can do this easy **** regardless of what character they play LOL

reversed ECE breaks the matchup

dont use djc aerials much

peach cannot CC your dtilt.

shield her dash attack->drop->utilt/dsmash/ftilt

eggs are only worth using in the neutral game if you use specific techniques I cba to explain lol

no i am not going to use yoshi vs armada

and sadly, peach & sheik will always be a looked at as a "hard" matchup for yoshi just because every yoshi player who uses him in the matchup suck lol (and bcuz playing yoshi properly in the matchup requires a lot of effort and if you try it and fail at it you'll lose to every ******** dsmash spammer on the planet )

one matchup that is actually hard is ICs if you don't go for time

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
lol silly kyle that is a horribly inaccurate explanation of the matchup

you can easily punish dsmash by shielding and good DI makes it impossible for peach to follow up if yoshi gets hit

usmash beats all of her aerials

parrying fc fairs breaks the matchup

being able to actually shield drop out of pressure 100%of the time breaks this matchup
too bad noone but me can do this easy **** regardless of what character they play LOL

reversed ECE breaks the matchup

dont use djc aerials much

peach cannot CC your dtilt.

shield her dash attack->drop->utilt/dsmash/ftilt

eggs are only worth using in the neutral game if you use specific techniques I cba to explain lol

no i am not going to use yoshi vs armada

and sadly, peach & sheik will always be a looked at as a "hard" matchup for yoshi just because every yoshi player who uses him in the matchup suck lol (and bcuz playing yoshi properly in the matchup requires a lot of effort and if you try it and fail at it you'll lose to every ******** dsmash spammer on the planet )

one matchup that is actually hard is ICs if you don't go for time
Come on leffen, It wasn't horribly inaccurate. If anything it had some inaccuracies along with some decent info but lacking some.

While Usmash does beat out her aerials, i feel the positioning to use it on peach doesn't come up often enough.

Agreed, Sheild dropping is great. I'm working on trying to get it 100% of the time but I'm still inconsistent.

Reverse ECE "breaks the matchup"? Care to explain why? I'm curious.

You seem to be in a "Breaks the matchup" mood, leffen. What does that even mean? Anyway, You should use Yoshi vs Armada ;D (Blatantly disregarding your statement)

My thoughts:
Well, I still don't feel too comfortable in the yoshi vs peach matchup (I've played maybe 3 or 4 sets. <3 Silly Kyle). That and I blow at verbalizing melee.

Generally, I find playing passive aggressive works well to keep peach on her toes. Doing so makes her wary of pulling turnips so much.
Like leffen stated, Usmash can negate a peach from trying to approach too high (although I'm not sure why they would do this). Low approaches via float can make using Usmash difficult. Playing a quick yoshi helps here by either allowing you to sneak in an up-angled F-tilt/Fsmash or any other improvization that fits the situation (Nair, Bair, Egglay, Usmash). Being evasive keeps peach guessing and makes her reluctant to throw FC aerials all willy nilly.
More later I suppose...

leffen

Smash Champion
"- try to use eggs to build up damage

Wrong and terrible advice. Peach can easily CC/attack through the egg and **** you for it. Arguably one of the worst matchups to use eggs in.
She's also one of the best ones to punish Yoshi's planking so that doesn't work either.

- juggle her in the air with up air -

super obvious. Extremely vital in every matchup ever just like lasering is with Falco... and juggling with upairs is much harder/worse than any other matchup because of how good airmobility/airdodge she has and because you can't really risk doing DJC uairs on her if shes close to a platform since she could stuff it with a dsmash.

- utilize the super armor on his second jump to beat out Peach's priority and possibly sneak in a kill that way -

Again, vital in some form for EVERY matchup. And again, doing it on peach is probably the hardest and worst of the entire cast. Why? Fair breaks it too early and cannot even be punished if spaced properly. Nair, Bair and Uair are all stupidly/impossible to punish with DJC.
Her ground game has nothing you can punish with DJC, and dash attack, dsmash, usmash and utilt are all beasts at stuffing+punishing all DJCs (often leading into a kill) AND peach doesn't die under 150% from any aerial so the risk reward is TERRIBLE for going in with DJCs (at any percent)

Easily the matchup where DJCing is the least useful.

-bait/punish her FC aerials when she lands. This can be kinda hard, but most noticeable when Peach is trying to space Fair.

Seriously? I mean you're a freaking peach main for god's sake, you should know that FC aerials HAVE NO LAG. Add to that, yoshi is TERRIBLE at punishing landings overall, especially in this matchup. He cannot really grab because of how terrible its range is in this matchup (and it gives zero reward and is super super super high risk and it doesn't even hit low floats so if she doesn't decide to land you just got *****). Egg lay would be very hard to land and gives ZERO reward if the peach knows how to not suck.

The only move I could even fathom being useful as she lands is fsmashing right through it which is very very baitable and doesn't work on high floats.

Not even fox can truly punish a fc fair, why the hell would yoshi be able to lol
Generally, never try to punish a competent peachs landings. You'd be much better of parrying... and without parrying you don't really have **** LOL

-be super careful with crouch cancelling. Peach's downsmash makes this matchup almost unfair xD

Don't really be scared to crouch cancel. Even though she has fair, crouch canceling when shes coming at you from above is great as long as you make sure to stay out of fairs way (or parry it enough that she gets scared)
Peach dsmash has terrible risk/reward against a CCing yoshi because yoshi could simply shield if peach gets close enough to do it. So just don't crouch cancel when shes in the middle of you...

Crouch canceling/spacing Dtilts at mid range is your best poking tool and peach cannot really deal with it without entering the air (which is what you should look to punish!)

So yeah, "inaccurate" is pretty damn right.

Reverse ECE break the matchup as in they're superduperduper important for edgeguarding her. Without it she can recover super easily, without it she'll often die/take huge amounts of %.
Low floats for her are terrible in this matchup since bair/fair/fsmash/dtilt easily beats out her options there. She needs to go high if she wants to gain anything from floating

Don't try to catch too many turnips, btw. If she pulls one, just be aggressive and bair/nair through it and hit her at the same time. She is so heavily limited while holding a turnip that you can actually throw eggs at her while shes holding one (since she can't really punish you/beat the eggs out with aerials anymore)

leffen

Smash Champion
You heavily underestimate the value of stagecontrol then.

and eggs have super long lag, even once the egg is out.

"why don't you just camp with PK thunder" is a more reasonable question...

leffen

Smash Champion
PK thunder is way better against peach when shes on stage than eggs are so I don't see how that comparison is that far off.

whatever

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Heh see now that post was a lot more informative in general leffen.Even if you may have stated some of these things in past posts it never hurts to reiterate helpful advice.

Obvious things aren't really too negative either...

I'd like to try out some reversed ECEs on a recovering peach but I dont have a peach player at hand to play :(( I suppose I'll just practice reversed ECE and shield drops

Engo

Smash Ace
What's going on with the screen in the first link, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

By the way, noob yoshi questions. Does yoshi retain the double jump invincibility in a djc aerial or does it end as soon as the double jump is interrupted? When exactly can I be hit out of the invincibility and how do I go about timing it to absorb an attack and counter with my own?

I know it's alot of questions but I've been really wondering these things and I'd like to understand them to improve my game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well man, its not invincibility, its generally called super armor or heavy armor (brawl has both, I can't remember the diff). You do still take damage and strong hits will go through the armor. Armor ends after your jump animation ends either by time or by using an attack.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow.

Been a long time since I read people's thoughts on Yoshi matchups.

That was fun to read. ^__^

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've seen players like VMan and Leffen run towards an edge and throw an egg right before falling yet still grab the edge. How do you perform this?

Top Bottom