• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
On the topic, fair sucks, I hate it. I only use it to make my Pika look like he has more moves. Or for funny gimps on low recovering opponents.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Holy crap o.O

So I just learned that if you're standing on the top platform of YS:

FJ Uair -> DJ Uair -> Thunder kills Samus at 0%.

And Uair Uair Thunder kills at about 15% if you start on one of the side platforms.

That's freakin amazing lol. That could come in handy. I wonder what other characters die off the top super early to that on YS. Obviously the lighter characters, but I'm curious about the higher tier characters such as Peach/Jiggs/Marth

:phone:

N64

Smash Champion
i think i've killed peach from 0 (or at least <10%) doing that. Don't remember who it was against, so dunno if it was bad DI.

*shrug*

just pikachu trying to be roy.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
I was practicing with Link last night, and then started practicing with pika. Then suddenly my pika was playing mad sloppy. like wtf???

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I would kill my friend who's a Peach player doing uair uair thunder a lot. I would have to do it fast though and catch them off guard or they would DI it right.

Rainbow

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap o.O

So I just learned that if you're standing on the top platform of YS:

FJ Uair -> DJ Uair -> Thunder kills Samus at 0%.

And Uair Uair Thunder kills at about 15% if you start on one of the side platforms.

That's freakin amazing lol. That could come in handy. I wonder what other characters die off the top super early to that on YS. Obviously the lighter characters, but I'm curious about the higher tier characters such as Peach/Jiggs/Marth

I wonder if you can gimp Luigi like this, not that Luigi needs help being gimped.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
VERY confident in this match up. But i come from an ooder meta. marth principals vs. pikachu :) please. hes floaty so my CC grabs come fast and confident to get free combos/ regrabs/ smash attacks (my bread and butter, part of my style) thats about all I got, any current meta advice will do. Thank you and am grateful.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you just hit him with moves. namely fair.
then you keep fairing.
grabs are good.
keeping him above is good.
you're marth, so never go above him.
edgeguarding is hard, look for recovery patterns.
try to stick to small stages.
offstage marth is dead marth if pika plays correctly.

for the most part just fair wall. throw in a bit of wd back -> dtilt.

mr q

Smash Rookie
alrighty link / young link how to gimp them IN THE AIR WHILE THEYRE DOING THEIR UPB ive been trying to get under them and tail spike but it never seems to work, any advice on air gimping?

N64

Smash Champion
throw jolts imo. Jolts mess up link/ylink's everything. hit upB, hits when they try to hookshot the stage, etc. This will mess with their positioning while recovering too, so they'll often recover a bit high with their eventual upB (if they get close to the stage) and you can fsmash them.

If they're recovering from above the stage, uair is still your best option though.

dkuo

Smash Lord
jolts are good

if they're upb'ing really high don't feel obligated to hit him out of upb, wait for their helpless fall to start and punish like falcon's high upb - limited aerial mobility and ridiculous landing lag

edit - also you can dair their head if they're at awkward places to jolt (ie below 45 degrees from the edge)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Thunderwalls will interupt their upB (jump off stage, then thunder while jumping back)

I dont think this works as well with pika though since he cant true combo out of it.

N64

Smash Champion
I forgot about dair. Dkuo is completely right about dair. Try to hit slightly in front of them so they get knocked away from the stage, but dair is great for coming down on his upB since he doesn't have a hitbox above him during it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Looool <3

I wish I could say that was an instance of pichu ******, but it is, in fact, an instance of pika sucking :(

I've seen this before (soju trying to upB onto the ledge and getting meteored by a falco recovering to the top platform)

I think that whenever pika begins the second part of upB, he gets hit by hitboxes that come out on the same frame directly above him or something along those lines (if somebody would like to test to varify/disprove this hypothesis that'd be awesome)

Oh but pichu's usmash does **** and has a stupid disjointed hitbox underneath it.
Also Pichu v Pika is hard as ****.

N64

Smash Champion
I think that whenever pika begins the second part of upB, he gets hit by hitboxes that come out on the same frame directly above him or something along those lines (if somebody would like to test to varify/disprove this hypothesis that'd be awesome)

When pikachu pancakes out after each part of the upB, his hitbox follows suit. So for a few frames in the middle and at the end of his upB he gets reeeeeeally tall/skinny and then reeeeeeeally short/fat. This causes him to get hit by stuff and go PIKAAAAAAAA and people to go "wtf was that" and then chuckle heartily. Also, whenever this happens in the world my ears prick up, interrupting whatever i'm doing, and i sigh for poor pikachu.

Credit to standardtoaster and his neato guide for the image.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Lol.
You released it on a slant, so it cancels the move, but you keeps some momentum and do a ******** pseudo wd.

dkuo

Smash Lord
uggggggh im so bad vs marth as pika T_T
so bad at figuring out when the marth wants to go for grabs

sad days

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed lately that when I practice upB's on the ledge of battlefield and screw up that I let go of the edge and begin to side B. Now, that's fine, I understand that I screwed up. However, after I finish doing a side B, I occasionally will be unable to jump which leads to me dying. I know for a fact that there should be time to jump because I'm just free falling for quite a bit sometimes. Is my controller just broken? Or has anyone else ever experienced this?

dkuo

Smash Lord
you might be jumping moments before the sideb happens which eats your dj...or you're timing your dj badly

dkuo

Smash Lord
like...you underestimate the lag after your side b and do your jump input too early and fall to your death. or something like that

Top Bottom