• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

AXE 09

Smash Master
@KK: definitely Pika vs Sheik and Falco vs Fox (even though my Falco has been slacking like crazy lately lol).

I used to play Peach seriously but I haven't in a very long time, and I'm not very good with her anymore :( So I have to decline that one.

But I will MM any of your characters (minus Sheik or Fox) with Young Link ONLY if it is on version 1.0. Accept my challenge?

Ohh and also when falling from very high with Pika, I actually use Dair a lot of the time :) Surprisingly it's *puts on sun glasses* super effective! :awesome: (lol worst thing I've ever said)

PMsurveys

Smash Rookie
Hm, I've noticed this recently with pika (still kinda new to the char). It seems like pika's hurt box drags behind him a bit when he dashes away, moreso than any other character. Is this true? Prolly cuz of his running animation/tail hurt box? Attempting to outspace some fox usmashes that hit me from really far away is what caused me to notice this.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I love pulling off up throw -> SHFFL instant uair-> semi-charged upsmash on space animals at low percent. It's so much fun. I have not really seen it much.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Hm, I've noticed this recently with pika (still kinda new to the char). It seems like pika's hurt box drags behind him a bit when he dashes away, moreso than any other character. Is this true? Prolly cuz of his running animation/tail hurt box? Attempting to outspace some fox usmashes that hit me from really far away is what caused me to notice this.
i was curious enough to TAS this

blue bars follow pika's hitbox edges at all times
green bars are where he started
pink bars are right before dashdance turning
red bars are where the farthest hitboxes reach

so yes, i suppose it's true, idk about compared to others though.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
it's not me that's amazing, it's dolphin :)

and a little editing i guess lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@KK: definitely Pika vs Sheik and Falco vs Fox (even though my Falco has been slacking like crazy lately lol).

I used to play Peach seriously but I haven't in a very long time, and I'm not very good with her anymore :( So I have to decline that one.

But I will MM any of your characters (minus Sheik or Fox) with Young Link ONLY if it is on version 1.0. Accept my challenge?
I hate fighting YL immensely. You literally have no idea how much I despise that character.

But sure. I might go Mario or something. I dunno who yet. $1 bo3?

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
i was curious enough to TAS this

blue bars follow pika's hitbox edges at all times
green bars are where he started
pink bars are right before dashdance turning
red bars are where the farthest hitboxes reach

so yes, i suppose it's true, idk about compared to others though.
I'm so glad this was posted, just last week I was wondering why I'd get hit by to many tippers I try to dash from. Looked at pika's hitboxes on the dash, saw that half of a tail hitbox. Then this. All makes sense. The lines, perfect addition. <3

Also, YL has Hero of Time swag. And a mini-skirt cleverly disguised as a one piece tunic, sword included. Therefore, YL is cool. :younglinkmelee:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I thought about it for a bit and I think Marth probably has this problem more than Pikachu. His entire body trails like nobody's business.

Also I don't think I'll be going Pika at any big tournaments until I start doing alright with him at locals...this means no Pika for Apex :(
(unless I somehow improve ridiculously fast in the next 2 months or something)

maybe pika for rom5 though <_<

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
He amputated his **** to become a top tier, I'll feel bad if I don't respect his sacrifices towards his goals!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Well pika still has his ****. And its enourmous. **** slap is a semi-spike.

Only thing comperable is G&W's massive nair (aka chode slam)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Fair sucks always.
BY FAR pika's worse aerial.
Not enough stun for shield pressure, they can just grab. No shield DI needed.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
This is theorybros but I think you can actually get away with crossup fair > uair as a mixup to crossup nair > uair. Seems like a really janky alternative to nair crossup uair, but you get the benefit of multiple hits on shield - meaning, you can potentially cover your entire movement through someone's shield with hitboxes. The question is whether they can punish you out of that before you land.

This could be useful in certain situations, ie if you're playing against someone who likes to punish your early nairs on shield with something like peach's fast bair oos...a well-placed fair could potentially catch them out of that with its multi-hitboxes. I'm not sure how easy it is to react to this though...not to mention this could be mitigated against by simply changing your nair timing. So, it could be very illegitimate for all I know.

The landing lag for it is about the same as nair too...3 frames slower so it's slightly easier to punish, but not by that much.

idk :bee:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Well yea, the way I put it is where it's used as a single-scenario gimmick lol.

Overall it's not a very good move against grounded/shielding opponents, but it doesn't hurt to throw it out to see if your opponent knows about how little stun your fair has. If they don't, grabbitygrabula

Also it's pretty good vs airborne opponents (esp when they have no dj) and decent in setting up tailspikes during edgeguards. So it's not entirely useless.

N64

Smash Champion
I love fair. It's is probably my second favorite anti-air option. If i can't uair, i'll fair. Then uair after it anyways 'cause fair is cool like that.

fair.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I like fair in certain situations, just not for shield pressure. It certainly has instances where it is a great option though. Kind of like dkuo mentioned, it can be good for catching people off guard actually.

:phone:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
all of pika's aerials have utility under various circumstances. in fact, fair becomes the best aerial when your opponent overrespects it and shields all the time lol. i can think of a few times where fair works as an option at least comparably against nair or uair. they're mostly all categorized in 'set up efficient tailspike under awkward spacing' or 'hit farther off-stage.'

interrupting a spacey's side+b while they're at low/med percent for instance:
  • while nair/dair interrupts very well with their meaty hitbox, the knockback isn't amazing at lower %'s and gives them another opportunity to recover. this is especially true if they're doing a higher side+b, but is pretty good vs sweetspot attempts. (doesn't beat ftilt though, i love ftilts!)
  • uair has good initial knockback with the tailspike and sets up a much easier edgeguard, but is hard to hit because of how quick the hitbox stays out for. this also means shortening against uair can quickly ruin a tailspike attempt. (sweetspot shorten also beats out ftilt in many instances)
  • fair sets up tailspikes very consistently and has a meaty-enough hitbox to catch them whether they shorten or not. tradeoff is that it takes a while to come out, but it's still pretty easy to hit with. it works fairly well against sweetspot shorten.
another instance, let's say you want to do an on-stage tailspike vs someone above you - you could just jump up and tailspike them, but if you did a rising fair>falling tailspike you'll be grounded much faster than if you were doing a rising tailspike, letting you reset faster and react to your opponent easier.

etc etc.

edit:

i found out something kind of funny but probably useless - if doc does a grounded pill, you can dd under it when it's at its highest arc and shield and it will automatically powershield (like ice's marth crouch under laser ps technique). i can't really see this being useful since docs don't really do ground pills...but it's still funny imo <_< nvm :(

AXE 09

Smash Master
I just noticed this but..

Yep

Pikachu >>> Yoshi..

STILL

Yoshi sucks

Along with Roy

Young Link's pretty good though

Along with Pikachu

Yep...

I'm gay :)
Ahh I see. Thank you for pointing that out Vman :)

In other news, Axe and Vman continue to procrastinate on buying their Apex plane tickets. Will they end up getting their tickets on time? Will Vman ever upload Axe's Young Link trick on Dreamland? Find out: On the next episode! *insert dramatic music*

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Ahh I see. Thank you for pointing that out Vman :)

In other news, Axe and Vman continue to procrastinate on buying their Apex plane tickets. Will they end up getting their tickets on time? Will Vman ever upload Axe's Young Link trick on Dreamland? Find out: On the next episode! *insert dramatic music*
I read that all in the voice of the Pokemon TV show announcer guy = \

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh i just realized that Pika's fair isnt pichu's crap *** fair.
So disregard a lot of what I said.
Fair still isn't good tho.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I read that all in the voice of the Pokemon TV show announcer guy = \
Wow I did too .-.

Top Bottom