• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

pockyD

Smash Legend
there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 TVs

day 2 was a real time crunch because ALL of the singles pools were played, which meant guaranteeing ~500 people 6 matches each

on day 3, i repeatedly looked over and saw only 2 people playing friendlies at a TV, and near the end of the bracket, even a lot of empty TVs

yes, there could/should have been more, but there were definitely plenty enough to get your games in

all you gotta do is 'i got next'

-Chad-

Slackerator
The 1st day at the beginning had some time during signups, but still had a lot of people lining up to play so there was quite a long time before you got to play. And once teams started it was done for friendlies.

2nd day as you said was pretty much completely booked by singles pools.

For a large majority of the 3rd day there wasn't time. Most of the people if not all (128 man bracket) of the people that I wanted to play were in the bracket which meant that they didn't have time for friendlies and that all the tv's were to be used for tournament.

Near the end of the bracket there was some time yes and that was about the only time I got a few matches in. But also at the end everyone was watching the matches of big names and watching Armada smash face (holy jebus). Like during the finals I couldn't even get to a tv cause it was so crowded with people watching hahahah I didn't really mind then though cause I wanted to watch.

Any way you look at it..there needed to be a lot more tv's...I was not very satisfied with the trip.

And believe me I'm not super shy about getting my turn, it's just that there was usually at least 2-3 people in front of me to get a turn on a tv. And most of the time people wanted to do sets because they knew it was going to be a long time for the rotation and they wanted to play more.

Either way, I guess I'm done talking about it (at least here). If you wanna continue discussing it though I'm on AIM usually all the time :D

I seriously cannot wait to show you guys the pika pictures I got there.

festizzio

Smash Champion
:( :( :( what about me :p lol.

i kid.

my two cents on vs puff.
what festizzio said f-air leads to stuff. alot of my kills are f-air to up smash. but the only puffs i play r down here, and only one of them is really good (davico from mexico) and he usually just goes marth against me.

so anyone going to HERB2?
The fair stuff works. fair to usmash is less reliable though, you just have to be smart about usmash, sort of like against peach. only it's easier against peach cause you can sort of combo. also weak nair combos into usmash at higher percents, and it's really reliable if you can pull it off. Also, don't attempt to thunder a jigglypuff. It will miss 90% of the time and about 10% of the time they can rest you out of it if you miss.

N64

Smash Champion
It's so touching seeing pikas being friendly. I can just imagine chad and axe and fesitzziobeing all buddy buddy and awesome.

/tear

Anyways, jiggs is annoying. I usually just spend the first part of the match running around and trying to get the feel for the jiggs player. Some like to approach a lot, some like to camp a lot, some like to move around and try to set up rest whenever possible. Depending on the style, you can do different things. Offensive jiggs: run away a lot and get nairs in whenever you can. Defensive jiggs: jolt camp a lot until they feel they need to approach you, then switch to offensive mode. The rest-happy ones is just trying to avoid their setups. Upsmash is hard to hit, jigg's aerials are pretty beast, but any time you at least trade with it is good. As festizzio said thunder is very risky and should only be used when jiggs is hiiiigh above you.

For once, pika doesn't mind trading hits much in this match, the main difficulty is just getting through jiggs' priority to even trade.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Dude N64, I really wish you'd have been there. Have you met axe yet? He's so awesome.

Also I like full hop d-air against Jiggs. Touch mah faaaace

No U

Smash Journeyman
So, watching Axe pwn some Falco in the bracket has inspired me to learn pikachu. Every time I saw that beautiful bthrow to gimp I shed a single manly tear.

Also, did one of you guys beat a Captain Falcon/Jiggs in pools? Called Knuttz? He was *****ing about losing to a pikachu all the way back from Antioch lol. That was also probably a bit of inspiration to me.

festizzio

Smash Champion
So, watching Axe pwn some Falco in the bracket has inspired me to learn pikachu. Every time I saw that beautiful bthrow to gimp I shed a single manly tear.

Also, did one of you guys beat a Captain Falcon/Jiggs in pools? Called Knuttz? He was *****ing about losing to a pikachu all the way back from Antioch lol. That was also probably a bit of inspiration to me.
LOL that was me

i beat his puff fairly easily, then he ***** me almost the entire second game as falcon but i came back with a hella clutch gimp that even I didn't expect lol.

AXE 09

Smash Master

heck yeah! you gotta love pika! =D i love pika players lol

Rubyiris, why wouldn't he team with GG7?

any other pika questions? this thread is kinda fun lol

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I just wanted to come in here and say that Axe, you are a beast. GJ at Genesis.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I think Axe's Pikachu needs to be upgraded in the tier list... Say Idk Axe Tier???

yeah his Pikachu ***** that ****ing hard..

<3 Axe <3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
heck yeah! you gotta love pika! =D i love pika players lol

Rubyiris, why wouldn't he team with GG7?

any other pika questions? this thread is kinda fun lol
Try to talk Jackie into teaming with you, so you can do double pikachu.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Ask about Pikachu not players hahah..

I always thought it was better to not talk about which player was better than the other. Don't need unnecessary debates of over it IMO.

hey, you guys got any advice on shield pressure besides jabbing?
Ymean like pressuring shields? Jab is sometimes not even safe :X

N64

Smash Champion
axe.

jab->dtilt uuuuusually works. Otherwise you can just like, fair through shields, then rising uair and run away or falling uair. It's mostly to hope they drop their shield in an attempt to punish/get away and get caught with an uair.

Against camping fox/falcos you kinda just have to do your best to avoid lasers, then approach until you're close enough that they try to get around you or hit you with something. See how they try to get around you to the other side, what they usually do. Next time you approach, try to cover those options. If they come in with a nair/dair, wdback and either go for a grab or just fsmash. If they try to go over you, catch them with uair. If they're dedicated to camping, you want to get close enough to make them uncomfortable and then punish their attempt to get back to a camping distance.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
N64! It was great to finally meet you yesterday :) Sorry we didn't ditto, but like I said, haven't put effort into the rat in over a year

...what are your thoughts on the Ness matchup [even though we didn't get to finish the match]...and that's not a trick question, I've just never fought a Ness with Pikachu [or...any character really] since I'm the only person I know who plays him at a high enough level...

also: your Pika's still got it, son! That gimp on Sleepy's Falco was beautiful to see ^_^

N64

Smash Champion
Thankee. You shoulda seen some of my combos earlier in the day. Unfortunately I don't think anyone saw them : /. Gimps on spacies can be cool but i had like a 70% combo on roy on Yoshi's Island earlier. With pika. It was sexy.

Aaaaanyways, pika v ness. I haven't had too much trouble in this matchup usually, but ness can have some interesting tactical threats. The only real ness experience I've had is against N.OW, a ness player from western new york, and artery clogger (crewmate)'s alt ness. Ness has decent aerial pressure, fair covers a lot of pika's approaches, dair can make pika weary of trying to uair you, and bair is a pretty good punish if pika is caught lagging or not being ready for it when approaching. Ness can do sooome shield pressure on pika, but it's honestly not that intimidating. He has like fair->jab->grab maybe, but ness's grab range is about as bad as pika's so he has to work for them and it's often not difficult to punish him if you expect him to go for a grab.

On pika's side in the matchup, you have more that's imo scary. Jolts are still effective, as ness's first jump is kinda slow, he doesn't have a whole lot of aerial mobility to get around them, and he doesn't have much to punish with out of shield if he shields it, and doesn't really have anything that tinks with it. You've got a relatively solid defense game as ness has like 2 approach options. You can dash dance around his aerial approaches and go for grabs/usmashes, and you can shield his dashattacks and usually punish his lag or at least get away before he can follow up. Ness's upB can be a big liability. If pika gets him off the edge and forces him to upB, pika can usually jump out and steal the jolt while still having enough room to recover with quick attack, so ness then just falls to his death.

As far as comboing goes, both of them don't really have good combos on the other. Pika can get like rising uair -> nair or double jump dair on ness, and a few other simple ones. Ness doesn't have much means of getting out of them besides nair and fair, his double jump starts out a little slow and is easy to catch. Pika can get out of most of ness's stuff i've found if you DI right, so the worst he can do is like dair->bair. Killing-wise, they both have their threats. Ness's bthrow kills at like 120% from the middle of final destination iirc, bair and fsmash and uair can also kill fairly early. Ness can't do a whole lot to edgeguard pika. Pika has usmash (->thunder) of course, and his aerials can get ness off the side where you either screw up his upB recovery or just ledgehog and force him to get to the stage then hop up and punish him in his lag.

What ness does have going for him is gay counterpicks though, at least from my experience. Corneria can be dumb, as whenever ness starts getting close to kill range he can try to go to the blasters on the left side and absorb all the laser damage to get back to 0%. Green greens can also be kinda dumb, because although it has a short ceiling, the stage design makes it pretty easy for ness to camp. Pikachu has limited approach options, as you usually have to jump over the blocks and there's not much room at all on the side platforms to maneauver around. Blocks and the height of the two platforms in mid make pika's jolts effectively useless for approach or camping purposes, so ness is free to camp somewhere, punish pika's limited approach options, then run away and camp again. Pika's alright at chasing, yes, but all ness has to do is hit you with something that has decent stun. Also, ness backthrow kills at super low percents on that stage.

So i'd say advantage pika on all neutrals and some cps, slight advantage ness on some cps.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
As Ness I do D-throw Dash Attack at like 20ish or so, maybe higher. It seems to combo if you do it really fast and then you can do other moves and if they don't DI away you can just Uair spam or do Fair or other moves if you like his other moves for some reason.

I don't know anything else about the matchup though. Pikachu's Uair is gay as balls though.

Doormat Buster

Smash Rookie
finally got to play today, and played mostly as pikachu, eventually put it on a 7 minute brawl and I owned Fox, Yoshi was giving me fits cause he kept grabbing the final smash ball away from me(his 4 to my 1) and had a decent match up with both King Dedede and link, both I htink were set on 9 the others turned back to 3. I think i actually faced the king twice and also I think pokemon trainer was in there as well.

the one thing that I noticed when playing pikachu is that his final smash is really hard to control from the get go, but once you make contact with another player, the damage racks up a lot. The question is this: Is there any way to control pika's final smash better so that volt tack is not whipping around all over the place?

wool

Smash Ace
I know this is going to sound sad, but ive literally tried to short hop with Pik for at least 30 minutes now, but still only 20 percent of the time I succeed. This limits my approaches a lot, so I almost always do a full hop, jolt, dair. Any tips on how to get better at it

festizzio

Smash Champion
practice a lot

i've played pika for years and i still mess it up every now and then, it seems really hard for some reason.

N64

Smash Champion
yeah, just practice
say you're not going to quit practice for the day until you short hop X times in a row. Then stand on one part of the stage and just try to accomplish that. Consistency is key.

wool

Smash Ace
Alright thanks guys. I guess ill call somebody while im doing it so as to not kill myself out of the boredom lol.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Axe, I really think you should drive to Pound 4.

And take me with you.

There were some Floridians who drove to Genesis.

C'mon. Man up.

AXE 09

Smash Master
sorry i haven't posted in a while guys. i miss all you pika guys lol. you all rock. especially n64, chad, and festizzio =P

anyways, shield pressure? hmmm... well to be honest, i usually just run up to them, crouch, and d-tilt a crapload. sometimes i'll just jab a bunch and it usually pushes them away enough so i won't get punished. other than d-tilt and a bunch of jabs, there's really not too many shield pressure options with pika. i like to d-tilt someone's shield then grab them. usually they can't react fast enough.

Tai, i wanna go to pound 4!!! but i'm not too sure how to get there =( my car isn't very reliable.

i love pikachu =)

festizzio

Smash Champion
for shield pressure i run in with a nair really close to the ground, and then do a short hop uair moving away from them

against anyone but marth it prevents the grab

soap

Smash Hero
omg i quadruple tail spiked a marth yesterday.

hes on the top platform of dreamland, i tail him to the side platform, tail him off the stage, run off tail, fastfall tail.

then i was happy

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
axe does alot of crazy azzz **** w/his pika... it's risky, but it' can be used as a nasty mind game... lol but axe will post here shortly prolly.. idk what he thinks. i'm jus the lucky dub partner lol he uses it on

Top Bottom