• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

festizzio

Smash Champion
i've always wanted to do it to interrupt a samus's grapple so they have to up b

unfortunately i never had a chance to try it

N64

Smash Champion
tailspike->tailspike->tailspike->tailspike is a legitimate combo

upB works as an edgeguard. Usually there's a better option, but upB can steal chars jumps/grapples, can interrupt recoveries (notably firefox) and disorient/scare your opponent. At the very least it does a little damage.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
oh man @ disorienting opponents...esp those whose upB's go in a diagonally forward direction upon execution [Marth/Doc/etc] because if you hit them with the second part of upB where you're returning to the edge, you'll hit them from the side that's not facing the stage, so they'll freak out and upB but being hit from the other side caused them to turn around...autodeath :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
omg i quadruple tail spiked a marth yesterday.

hes on the top platform of dreamland, i tail him to the side platform, tail him off the stage, run off tail, fastfall tail.

then i was happy
dude, that sounds so hot lol. no joke. freakin awesome

for Ballistics: i personally like to do it to pretty much all characters if i can. for people who don't fight pikachu much (which is most people), if you're hanging on the edge, and they're trying to recover, if you up-B into them, then back to the edge (hitting them 2ce), the result for most of the people i fight is an air dodge, or they freak out and up-b, so it's an easy edgeguard. the only thing is that i only do it if i grab the edge, then immediately do the up-b, just so that way i have frames, and they can't hit me out of it. if you don't grab the edge, you kinda risk getting yourself killed, cuz you're able to be hit. i personally love doing it every chance i get =) most people die from it.

N64

Smash Champion
thank u 64

man, why would i come all the way to the pika boards if i didnt actually do it
i no rite. This place is boooooooooring.

jk. <3 pika mains.

Anyways, http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...i=PNVxStbYCJLGrQLd_NntBw&q=dr.+donkachu&hl=en
at 3:35 there's technically a triple tailspike. Seems you have 1-up'd me soap.

Also for festizzio: at 3:17 there's dash attack being amazing (it beats falco's dair!).
and at 4:00 there's quick attack being awesome.

man, what an awesome video

( /self-praise)

festizzio

Smash Champion
i no rite. This place is boooooooooring.

jk. <3 pika mains.

Anyways, http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...i=PNVxStbYCJLGrQLd_NntBw&q=dr.+donkachu&hl=en
at 3:35 there's technically a triple tailspike. Seems you have 1-up'd me soap.

Also for festizzio: at 3:17 there's dash attack being amazing (it beats falco's dair!).
and at 4:00 there's quick attack being awesome.

man, what an awesome video

( /self-praise)
yeah sure cause it's at the end of the dair! what kind of falco was that! URGH that video makes me angry!!!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
omfg @ 6:16

also...mad approval @ Chiptune usage =D!!!

edit: omg, posted that just after watching your segment, but gooood **** @ using Anamanaguchi in Kwan's segment!!!

my bro is mad close with the people who really got the Chiptune's movement started [and with Anamanaguchi, as well]! He even made an amazing documentary about the genre and their largest event ever [Blipfest]

I can PM you the links and such if you're interested =D

N64

Smash Champion
thanks samurai and axe

festizzio you are a poophead

also toasty, that's super awesome. I am interested! : D

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
At first I was just going to PM you and leave it at that...but I thought I'd at least share my favorite clip from the documentary [out of the few you can see online, anyway] with the rest of the Pikas [it's my favorite because the music is banging and goes with the editing choices well :)]

http://www.vimeo.com/1468239

[oops, meant this: http://www.vimeo.com/1468416 but w/e =D]

enjoy!

Also: I'll have Pika vids vs. Lambchops Falco some time soon! Is there an active video critique thread? Internet's mad slow at the store so I don't have time to look right now >_>

festizzio

Smash Champion
thanks samurai and axe

festizzio you are a poophead

also toasty, that's super awesome. I am interested! : D
LOL

man i can't wait to meet you! >_< going to pound 4?

also i'll watch that video when i get home, sounds sick

g0nz02

Smash Apprentice
N64... that was sick.

I've recently picked up Pikachu as a main, and I think he's the most fun I've had playing Melee... ever. You, Chu and playing locally with Anther were huge in coming to this decision, so thanks!

one thing i'm having trouble with is correctly spacing Quick Attack so as to cancel it- can you ledge cancel the lag? platform cancel? or do you just have to land slightly above the ground?

N64

Smash Champion
you caaaan ledge cancel it, but it's usually too risky as if you don't space it right you either have the normal landing lag or overshoot and fall off the ledge (and die if there's nothing below that to stop you). The best bet is to just use it so you end up a little off the ground at the end of it, you'll have the least amount of lag that way. If you just quick attack while still on the ground or quick attack into the ground there's a decent amount of lag, but if you quick attack to just above the ground you'll fall very slightly and have reduced lag upon landing.

hope that made sense heh. And ty all for the vid comments. It's like a year and a half old heh, but i likes it.

proooobably not going to pound 4, but we'll see.

AXE 09

Smash Master
with the quick attack thing... pretty much what N64 said =) ledge cancelling is risky, but if you practice enough, it can be pretty useful. of course (as we all know) if you sweetspot the ledge, your lag is cancelled... also, if you quick attack while on the floor and parry with an attack with the same priority (i.e. a jab, or a thunder jolt, or... a boomerang) you can do a super wavedash with it =) hehe gotta love it

so i was thinking lately... about having Yoohoo as the official pikachu super chocolate milk drink ^^ anyone agree?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

festizzio

Smash Champion
with the quick attack thing... pretty much what N64 said =) ledge cancelling is risky, but if you practice enough, it can be pretty useful. of course (as we all know) if you sweetspot the ledge, your lag is cancelled... also, if you quick attack while on the floor and parry with an attack with the same priority (i.e. a jab, or a thunder jolt, or... a boomerang) you can do a super wavedash with it =) hehe gotta love it

so i was thinking lately... about having Yoohoo as the official pikachu super chocolate milk drink ^^ anyone agree?
totally

yoohoo is amazing

oh btw, a nice story:

so i was looking in the fridge for a bottled starbucks frappucino cause those taste good and also i wanted caffeine, but then for absolutely no reason at all, there's a brand new bottle of yoohoo in the far right corner! so i ask my mom and she just says her sister gave it to her last time she was at her house and it's been there ever since.

i drank all of it but sadly the rest of the day did not live up to the hype of the first 20 minutes. :(

AXE 09

Smash Master
ahaha thanks festizzio ^^ dude i wanna play you again... let me know when you're going to the WC again so we can play more games =D

i know that I'M supposed to be answering the questions, but i actually have a question to ask...

i know that if you do your forward B, it helps your recovery by a small amount. but... if you CHARGE your forward b, does it help your recovery even more? or does it hurt it? if no one knows, i'll be happy to run some tests...

festizzio

Smash Champion
ahaha thanks festizzio ^^ dude i wanna play you again... let me know when you're going to the WC again so we can play more games =D

i know that I'M supposed to be answering the questions, but i actually have a question to ask...

i know that if you do your forward B, it helps your recovery by a small amount. but... if you CHARGE your forward b, does it help your recovery even more? or does it hurt it? if no one knows, i'll be happy to run some tests...
I'm pretty sure charging it can only help, i think but i'm not sure that it stops his momentum in the air when you start so charging it will help you more

but you have to be careful not to charge too much to where you're in range to be edgeguarded, i always try to stay just out of my opponent's range when i quick attack to the ledge/on the stage.

and about the WC, fool i LIVE on the wc, socal for life

N64

Smash Champion
charging forward b gives you a little more distance on it, but itdoesn't really help your recovery overall. I'll still use it occasionally. Like, if i'm far from the stage but overBing twice would be too laggy (after the second overB i'd either be too low to recover or would have too few recovery options after it), then I'll charge my first overB a little bit to get some extra distance out of it but still be high enough to recover.

Fun fact, I played forward's sheik in pools at FC Diamond. I got 3-stocked iirc. : /

AXE 09

Smash Master
WHAT!! you live in Cali??? dude!!! that's way cool. are you going to pats house in november? i'll be there!

N64, Forward's freakin hard, isn't he? darn him lol. i wanna get better than him one day (yeah right)

*waits on v3ctorman to finish Axe Effect*

festizzio

Smash Champion
WHAT!! you live in Cali??? dude!!! that's way cool. are you going to pats house in november? i'll be there!

N64, Forward's freakin hard, isn't he? darn him lol. i wanna get better than him one day (yeah right)

*waits on v3ctorman to finish Axe Effect*
OMG LOL

of course, that's why i asked; where did you think i lived? i have to know!

AXE 09

Smash Master
OMG LOL

of course, that's why i asked; where did you think i lived? i have to know!
lol beats me. i thought you lived somewhere in the EC. like in... NY or something lmao!! jk maybe not that far, but i actually didn't have the slightest clue :lol:

you live in socal? wow, we're a lot closer than i thought! do you ever travel out of state? lately i've been travelling more, so maybe i might see you a few times :)

wool

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that when you start charging side-b you start dropping vertically (you cant continue to float towards the stage) so I think its better to do a non-charged side-b so then during the lag time before you can do another you can keep drifting towards to stage.

But if you are at a point where a non-charged side b would get you close enough to the edge so that someone can attack you, your kind of dead.

So while you are in the air you gotta judge how many non-charged side bs would get you to the optimum position (AKA near the edge but not close enough to get hit). Usually it would be a decimal, so u may need to charge one just a bit to get to that spot.

Ive got a question.
After a shffl fair i normally follow up with an utilt. but its sort of a slow attack and so i get hit after the fair even though i l-canceled. so my question is what do you guys normally follow up a shffl fair.

N64

Smash Champion
festizzio: I think i got 3 stocked then 2 stocked. It was years ago though, so I could be wrong.

Forward is hard : /

Flibz: Depends on the char and what they do. If I fair through them and land behind, utilt or rising uair usually. Sometimes i'll turn ftilt then try to follow their reaction (techchase or chase them in the air if they jump). If I land in front of them I'll often go for a grab (doesn't always work) or upsmash. Or as an option if they like trying to grab you out of your fair is to fair them, dash back (so they miss the grab), dash forward and punish with whatever you wish.

festizzio

Smash Champion
let me just say that if it's against a peach or samus and you can't land ridiculously far behind them, you never want to approach with a shffl'd fair. i learned that the hard way.

anyways rising sh uair is usually what i do, it takes practice to get down but it's an amazing move, especially since it auto cancels and doesn't leave you open in the air like a full hopped one does. i usually do that after every aerial if it misses, and sometimes even if it doesn't. i know that if you aerial -> utilt a captain falcon's shield, their dair out of shield goes right through the utilt, but not the uair.

lol beats me. i thought you lived somewhere in the EC. like in... NY or something lmao!! jk maybe not that far, but i actually didn't have the slightest clue :lol:

you live in socal? wow, we're a lot closer than i thought! do you ever travel out of state? lately i've been travelling more, so maybe i might see you a few times :)
well i went to florida for a tournament last summer, but that's the only OoS tourney I've ever been to. the other ones are usually bad timing for me or i just don't have enough money (like pound 4 is looking to be). i'll try to get it as an early birthday present or late christmas present, who knows! :)

wool

Smash Ace
Alright thanks Fest and N64. I still haven't gotten the sh uair->uair down yet though i see a lotta people use it effectively :)
Guess i need to work on that

AXE 09

Smash Master
i dunno if i just don't know many advanced pika stuff or not, but... i pretty much never do a shffl'd Fair lol. and i didn't even know you could do SH uair -> uair. you can do that in just 1 short hop? come to think of it.... i know you can do sh uair -> neutral, so another uair should work... it's extremely hard to do though lol. but it's cool if you can get it on someone's shield :) just to be a kewl pika

soap

Smash Hero
u can sh uair > waveland.

looks sick.

not that useful, but hey.

pika actually has a ton of real cool stuff with his aerials. like the teleporting bair that edgecancels from like the middle of stages.

Top Bottom