• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

AXE 09

Smash Master
Haha Axe I wish... but I'm just a low newbie up in canada who just started playing recently... VERY recently xD. I'm just a huge fan atm, lol.

Good luck.
thanks man ^^ make sure you train hard! it's awesome to see pika mains :p

^it's true,

he meat rides you all day everday. xD

=D
that's pretty sexy :)

zig would make it out of that pool with mango and brett farve IMO.
you honestly think mango would've made it out of that pool? i dunno man... it's all about billy mitchel lol

Octave

Smash Ace
Axe, I've got a 'friend' at school who, last night, told me to pick a top tier character to play instead of my favorites like Link or Pika. He plays a mean C.Falcon (always in that **** pink outfit, which I've grown to dislike a ton) doing the shuffles and chaingrabs and such. How do you recommend I go about making him acknowledge that Pikachu and other low tier characters as viable?

tl;dr : How should I approach his C.Falcon?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
lmfao @ the full paragraph vs. the tl;dr version

anyone who can cause the Pink Flamingo to bring about a bitter taste in ones mouth is a terrible terrible human being.

now I'm no Axe but...at least I can give you some info =D

first, if you're getting chaingrabbed, you're not DIing the down throw properly [of course we don't all do it perfectly 100% of the time either, but still]. Hold down and away from CF :)

also: welcome to Smash Bros. You'll run into a lot of people with similar mindsets...fortunately, they'll be fleeting interactions as the actual community is cool as **** =D

People always doubt low tiers, but just understand that tiers represent, if anything, "likelihood of success." Get better and prove him wrong =D

As far as approaching CF goes, it all depends on his style. If you want real answers, post a vid =D

Granted, it's far more important to learn what CF, as a character, is capable of as opposed to focusing on your friend, and then learn to counter/beat that.

That way you won't tailor your style/strategy in the matchup to your friend's CF you'll end up with a more versatile Pika ^_^

Octave

Smash Ace
lmfao @ the full paragraph vs. the tl;dr version

anyone who can cause the Pink Flamingo to bring about a bitter taste in ones mouth is a terrible terrible human being.

now I'm no Axe but...at least I can give you some info =D

first, if you're getting chaingrabbed, you're not DIing the down throw properly [of course we don't all do it perfectly 100% of the time either, but still]. Hold down and away from CF :)

also: welcome to Smash Bros. You'll run into a lot of people with similar mindsets...fortunately, they'll be fleeting interactions as the actual community is cool as **** =D

People always doubt low tiers, but just understand that tiers represent, if anything, "likelihood of success." Get better and prove him wrong =D

As far as approaching CF goes, it all depends on his style. If you want real answers, post a vid =D

Granted, it's far more important to learn what CF, as a character, is capable of as opposed to focusing on your friend, and then learn to counter/beat that.

That way you won't tailor your style/strategy in the matchup to your friend's CF you'll end up with a more versatile Pika ^_^
That's interesting.. He told me to DI up and away.

And thanks for the welcome, though I have been lurking for some time without making an account. :s

I think I might be able to find some footage of him. We're both friends of a guy who goes by DarkDragoon on here and he might've recorded something. Thanks for the input; I'll search around on youtube for it. :]

AXE 09

Smash Master
Axe, I've got a 'friend' at school who, last night, told me to pick a top tier character to play instead of my favorites like Link or Pika. He plays a mean C.Falcon (always in that **** pink outfit, which I've grown to dislike a ton) doing the shuffles and chaingrabs and such. How do you recommend I go about making him acknowledge that Pikachu and other low tier characters as viable?

tl;dr : How should I approach his C.Falcon?
haha... darn those people that think "tiers are everything". i've run into A LOT of people that. the truth is, ANY character can be good. if you practice enough, i can guarantee that you can beat him with any character that you want to. if you put enough effort behind it, you can succeed. don't worry about the tier list

luckily, your friend plays Falcon. i have to say that falcon is probably pikachu's best matchup out of all of the high/top tier characters. anyone on the Falcon boards will agree with me on that. there's many things that you can do that will make him wanna quit playing :) i LOVE it when i run into a player that thinks you should only play high/top tier characters. i can usually make them reconsider the way they think

when fighting falcon, grabbing is your friend. you should almost always up throw, because you can combo that into an upsmash almost every time, guaranteed, whether he is at 0% or 100%. just Uthrow, Usmash. this also means that you can chaingrab him. falcon's suprisingly easy to chaingrab. Uthrow all day! just make sure that you JC grab. if you just run and grab, you'll most likely miss. just make sure to press X/Y/Up nearly at the same time you grab (you actually press it SLIGHTLY before you press Z) to do the JC grab. you can chain grab him from 0 to death on final D.

there's numerous ways to approach him. i'd say the first option should be to run at him and shffl a Nair. if the nair hits him, you can grab him right after you land. if he starts to predict your Nair, try a SH up air. most players usually misjudge this move and get hit by it. another good idea is to run at him and downtilt. it's hard to say how you should approach right now because i'm not too sure what skill level you're at. if you could post a vid of yourself, i could give you better advice.

oh and also, when he's off the edge, do a downwards Forward tilt! it's amazing! you can literally keep him off the edge for like ever lol. it's a light hit, but perfect for keeping him off the edge and making him more frustrated =D

for a defensive move, right after you shield one of his attacks, it's really good to jump out of your shield and up air

again... you should post a vid up of yourself so we can all give you better advice. good luck man =) beat the crap outta that falcon!

oh and for DI, if you don't want to get chaingrabbed by him, ALWAYS DI AWAY from him! he'll never be able to get you =D

bolt.

Smash Ace
lol!! i honestly have no idea how good you are. i'm pretty afraid of fighting you lol
I dont really know to respond to this. Haha, well I guess we will see you how you feel about that after game one. I'm a falco main so I'm pretty afraid of your gimping ability, and the fact that your the best pikachu ever. :lick: Ehhh yeaahhh. Pound 4.

Octave

Smash Ace
To be totally honest, I picked up Pika last night and had a lot of fun with him; decided to main him. I know a good amount of smash theory like wave- dash/landing, shffling, etc. but haven't been able to practice too much with Pika. I'll throw together a video tomorrow between homework assignments, but in the meantime I'm going to read up on Pika's specifics and practice.

Oh and watch your vids.

Stev

Smash Ace
Can someone please describe the hitbox of tail spiking w/ the up air, especially the reverse spike? I find that sometimes I reverse spike when I'm trying not to, sending them the wrong way (although it's been helpful at times too! =) ).

TresChikon

Smash Lord
pikachu's uair has 4 different hitboxes that effect the trajectory of your opponent.

if your opponent is directly behind you and you hit him with a uair, he'll be sent almost strait up, slightly backwards. (assuming they don't DI)

if you hit them with about a 45 degree angle behind and above pikachu, then they'll be sent backwards/downwards (kind of in the same trajectory as Fox's shine, except the distance they travel depends on the damage they have, whereas fox's shine has fixed knockback) in what you could call a "reverse tailspike".

if they are directly above you/slightly above and in front of you, then you'll perform the regular forward tailspike. it's the same trajectory as the reverse tailspike, only they go forward instead. this is VERY useful for finishing off opponents and gimping

if they are directly in front of you, then they'll be sent in somewhat of an arc up and over your head, being sent behind you. at lower percents on lightweights, you can combo this into an upsmash if you run backwards right after this hits
AXE is laaaaaaaammmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee

it's a good thing this is invisible.

muahahahha i can say ANYTHING!

AXE 09

Smash Master
I dont really know to respond to this. Haha, well I guess we will see you how you feel about that after game one. I'm a falco main so I'm pretty afraid of your gimping ability, and the fact that your the best pikachu ever. :lick: Ehhh yeaahhh. Pound 4.
ahaha thanks man ^^ falco's really tight, he's my secondary. pound 4 is gonna be freakin awesome! hey just curious, do you have any info on anyone else in our pool? i haven't heard of ANY of them. except for Dmac. apparently he plays ganon?

To be totally honest, I picked up Pika last night and had a lot of fun with him; decided to main him. I know a good amount of smash theory like wave- dash/landing, shffling, etc. but haven't been able to practice too much with Pika. I'll throw together a video tomorrow between homework assignments, but in the meantime I'm going to read up on Pika's specifics and practice.

Oh and watch your vids.
well you picked the right character to main =) it's very important to get the basic techskill down first (wave dashing, L-canceling, etc.). have you seen the "advanced how to play" videos yet? i learned pretty much all of my techskill from those videos. you should master those techniques first before you get into pikachu-specific techniques

Can someone please describe the hitbox of tail spiking w/ the up air, especially the reverse spike? I find that sometimes I reverse spike when I'm trying not to, sending them the wrong way (although it's been helpful at times too! =) ).
haha alright... i was confused on it at first too, and actually, pretty much everything i know about pika's Uair is from my own observations/experiences. in a nutshell...

there are 4 hitboxes to pikachu's Uair.

the first one starts directly behind pikachu. if you hit someone with this, they'll be sent strait upwards/slightly behind you. this is great for combos

the 2nd hitbox is when his tail is at about a 45 degree angle behind him. hitting an opponent with this will send them behind pikachu in a downward angle (kinda like fox's shine). this could be known as the "reverse tail spike".

the 3rd hitbox is when the tail is above/slightly in front of pikachu. hitting someone with this will give the same results as the reverse tailspike, only in the opposite direction. so it's just a normal Tailspike, sending them in a downward angle in front of you.

the 4th hitbox is when the tip of your tail is directly in front of you. hitting someone with this will send them up and over your head behind you in somewhat of an arc

and that... pretty much sums it up lol

EDIT: i knew i explained it earlier, i should've just looked for it again lol. thanks, treschikon :)

Octave

Smash Ace
well you picked the right character to main =) it's very important to get the basic techskill down first (wave dashing, L-canceling, etc.). have you seen the "advanced how to play" videos yet? i learned pretty much all of my techskill from those videos. you should master those techniques first before you get into pikachu-specific techniques
The videos by Wak? If yes then I've watched them but haven't had time to really concentrate and practice lately. I've played Smash since it came out (I was like 8 years old .__.) so these new techniques aren't what I'm used to.

AXE 09

Smash Master
The videos by Wak? If yes then I've watched them but haven't had time to really concentrate and practice lately. I've played Smash since it came out (I was like 8 years old .__.) so these new techniques aren't what I'm used to.
yeah don't worry, i totally understand. i've played smash since it first came out too (on the 64), but i didn't know about any advanced techniques until about 3 and a half years ago. it takes a bit to get used to, but since you already have a head start, you can get really good really fast. i'm glad you play pika lol

Octave

Smash Ace
I meant I had played since SSBM first came out, lol. I had always wanted to play SSB64 but never really got to so I always forget it exists :X I remember watching videos of the techniques a long time ago, back when I put videos of me playing against level 9 computers on youtube. Then people would comment on how I should use the techniques and was so confused. I think I was 13 or 14.

But back on topic: At what percent should I do a thunderflip?

AXE 09

Smash Master
haha well... i can't say what specific percents, but you should pretty much always follow up an upsmash with a thunder if you find that they're too high to double jump and hit them with any other attack.

just curious, how old are you?

BankaiPwn

Smash Cadet
Haha

<-- is a culprit of having people tell me I should constantly play another character >.>

Since I've just been learning AT's, I've been starting to find my 2nd "main" and have been using Falco a lot (axe... I swear you've influenced me more then I'll allow myself to admit xD)... but I'm definitely going back to training with pikachu soon... just too awesome to stay away from lol.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Ah okay. And I'm 17
ah ok. i'm 18. just curious, how old is everyone else on these pika boards?
Haha

<-- is a culprit of having people tell me I should constantly play another character >.>

Since I've just been learning AT's, I've been starting to find my 2nd "main" and have been using Falco a lot (axe... I swear you've influenced me more then I'll allow myself to admit xD)... but I'm definitely going back to training with pikachu soon... just too awesome to stay away from lol.
lol!! omg that's awesome. dunno why but i love falco as a secondary lmao. well hey, i think it's a really good idea to have multiple good characters instead of just 1 good one. if i ONLY had pikachu, i know i wouldn't perform as well. falco covers the matchups that pikachu isn't good at (except jiggs. darn jiggs!). but don't feel obligated to only play as your main (in our cases, pikachu). it's actually a very good idea to play other characters every now and then. i admittedly play falco more than i play pikachu in friendlies, but my pikachu's still my best character for some reason

defsithe

Smash Ace
ah ok. i'm 18. just curious, how old is everyone else on these pika boards?
20. when we first met i was 17?

also pika boards are way too active XP

i miss playing melee as much as i did before. i went to a tourny today (went all pika) and did horribly :(

i guess that just means i need to play more. or should have gone marth(no johns), i havent decided yet lol :chuckle:

also <3 axe

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Axe, two questions [one is rhetorical]:

- any clue how good TwiinnA from New Mexico is? I hear Light inspired him to play Peach but he didn't really give me a whole lot to go with XD he could go Sheik or any number of characters...tips would be helpful =D

- should I go Pika against Zhu? XD!!!!!!!!! [my Pika is doodoo rusty right now so I probably won't even try it unless I get hella warmed up friday night and feel confident in my Pika again]

oh and I've said it before but *shrugs*...I'm 25

AXE 09

Smash Master
20. when we first met i was 17?

also pika boards are way too active XP

i miss playing melee as much as i did before. i went to a tourny today (went all pika) and did horribly :(

i guess that just means i need to play more. or should have gone marth(no johns), i havent decided yet lol :chuckle:

also <3 axe
dude i miss you! and i'm pretty sure that the answer is you should play more. definately not switch to marth :) man i haven't been to texas in so long... i have no clue when i'll be back down there, but when i do go back, i'll give everyone down in the valley a call =)
Axe, two questions [one is rhetorical]:

- any clue how good TwiinnA from New Mexico is? I hear Light inspired him to play Peach but he didn't really give me a whole lot to go with XD he could go Sheik or any number of characters...tips would be helpful =D

- should I go Pika against Zhu? XD!!!!!!!!! [my Pika is doodoo rusty right now so I probably won't even try it unless I get hella warmed up friday night and feel confident in my Pika again]

oh and I've said it before but *shrugs*...I'm 25
alright, twinA... he's pretty decent, but he wasn't all that good. i've played him before. sometimes he impresses me, but he still has a lot of catching up to do. i dunno if he has any vids online or not, but he's... hm. i'm not sure. i think i need to watch more vids of you to compare lol. but just so you know, TwinA is one of the most awesome, funny, amazing smashers you'll ever meet! when you meet him, ask him to do a magic trick. he's SO freakin good with magic tricks, it'll blow your mind lol

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah I couldn't find **** on youtube except for his magic, been lookin forward to the tricks, though! =D

as far as his skill level, LOL I think he's said the same thing about himself [while noting that his brother is considerably better?]

also:

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh raaaaaiiisstttlllinnnnnnnn >_<!!!!

****in Jiggs...my best bet would be Fox or Marth but my Fox is inconsistent under pressure and we all know what happens when Fox messes up against Jiggs :(

and my Marth is still a baby as far as experience goes and I've played a few friendlies against really good Puffs who know EVERYTHING of Marth's that they can crouch-cancel/DI into a rest...but I don't know all of that yet so I fear I'd just set myself up for way too many low-damage deaths considering how good Raistlin is.

my Pika/Ness? Let's not talk about that >_>

so..uh...guess I gotta beat TwinA and MysteryEmailAddressDude to make it out...

[after I **** Zhu's **** up, that is =D]

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I played as pikachu the other day I think may be easier to chain throw with him somehow or I just suck with pichu's up-throw more than I thought. geeze pikachu feels slow.

And what's so hard about figuring out upair and up-b? I still think pikachu is much easier than pichu but let not make this the topic cuase no one cares.

Hey do you just dd away from puff and wait to jolt or random or if your lucky wd under and up-smash.

bolt.

Smash Ace
ahaha thanks man ^^ falco's really tight, he's my secondary. pound 4 is gonna be freakin awesome! hey just curious, do you have any info on anyone else in our pool? i haven't heard of ANY of them. except for Dmac. apparently he plays ganon?
I'm pretty sure dmac is a fox main.
Renzo is a fox main.
Janks play pretty much all the high tiers from what I've seen.
I have no clue who aib is.

That is all I know, but from the looks of thing the only person who seems troublesome for you is dmac. He took a mm to game against ss.

AXE 09

Smash Master
yeah I couldn't find **** on youtube except for his magic, been lookin forward to the tricks, though! =D

as far as his skill level, LOL I think he's said the same thing about himself [while noting that his brother is considerably better?]

also:

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh raaaaaiiisstttlllinnnnnnnn >_<!!!!

****in Jiggs...my best bet would be Fox or Marth but my Fox is inconsistent under pressure and we all know what happens when Fox messes up against Jiggs :(

and my Marth is still a baby as far as experience goes and I've played a few friendlies against really good Puffs who know EVERYTHING of Marth's that they can crouch-cancel/DI into a rest...but I don't know all of that yet so I fear I'd just set myself up for way too many low-damage deaths considering how good Raistlin is.

my Pika/Ness? Let's not talk about that >_>

so..uh...guess I gotta beat TwinA and MysteryEmailAddressDude to make it out...

[after I **** Zhu's **** up, that is =D]
crap man... freakin jiggs! ah! i hate her lol. crap man... well good luck against him. just stay patient! and don't worry about zhu. he's so easy, i bet even 13 ways to die could beat him ;)
I played as pikachu the other day I think may be easier to chain throw with him somehow or I just suck with pichu's up-throw more than I thought. geeze pikachu feels slow.

And what's so hard about figuring out upair and up-b? I still think pikachu is much easier than pichu but let not make this the topic cuase no one cares.

Hey do you just dd away from puff and wait to jolt or random or if your lucky wd under and up-smash.
well.... jiggs isn't exactly that easy. a good jiggs will never let you Usmash them. it sux so bad ='( they kinda just keep poking at you until you're at a killing percent. it's like you trade your Uair with their Fair/Bair. and... Uair does such little damage, while their Fair/Bair does so much more damage

as far as the chaingrabbing goes, i don't think i've ever tried to chaingrab with pichu now that i think about it lol
I'm pretty sure dmac is a fox main.
Renzo is a fox main.
Janks play pretty much all the high tiers from what I've seen.
I have no clue who aib is.

That is all I know, but from the looks of thing the only person who seems troublesome for you is dmac. He took a mm to game against ss.
ouch, really? shoot... i'm gonna try my best against him for sure. i didn't know he was that good. but thanks for all the info. good luck in our pool man! i'll see you in a few days =)
dang i'm so young ='(

N64

Smash Champion
toasty: don't go pika against raistlin heh. He has plenty of practice from festizzio. I'd go with marth if I were you, but really it's your call.

I'd go pika or ness against zhu. I don't know how well ness does against falco, but you might be able to pull some trixy gimps with pika. I'd start pika, see how that fleshes out, then go from there.

axe: from the look of it, dmac is probably your biggest challenge in that pool. Again, he's played me TONS so he knows the matchup. However, your style is a little different than mine, so that'll prob help. It'll be an interesting set to watch for sure heh.

all: pika pi

BankaiPwn

Smash Cadet
ouch, really? shoot... i'm gonna try my best against him for sure. i didn't know he was that good. but thanks for all the info. good luck in our pool man! i'll see you in a few days =)

dang i'm so young ='(
You'll do great :)

19 here, and don't worry about "Feeling young", it's just more time to enjoy playing smash... IMO at least.

Octave

Smash Ace
Hey, Axe. I took some footage of me playing against my brother. It's uploading to youtube now.

At my school we have a Chess and Gaming Club that we play SSBM in every day after classes. Unfortunately, today was the day the proctor decided to not show up after I had dug out my gamecube the night before to set up 1v1s (as opposed to FFA with items on... ugh). I had also brought my camera to take footage of my Falcon friend and so that never came to be. The thing that is even more unfortunate is that I have exams this week (excluding today) so the club wont be meeting until next tuesday, as we have MLK day on monday.

tl;dr : No falcon footage until next week. Sorry :/

N64

Smash Champion
Most pikas will tell you sheik. (which is probably true)

I'll tell you it's either marth or mario. (which is biased)

Some will say jiggs.

He has a lot of bad matchups. (poor pika : / )

AXE 09

Smash Master
axe: from the look of it, dmac is probably your biggest challenge in that pool. Again, he's played me TONS so he knows the matchup. However, your style is a little different than mine, so that'll prob help. It'll be an interesting set to watch for sure heh.

hmmmm.... maybe i should go falco against him? then again, i dunno... well, how well do you usually do against him? would you recommend falco or pika?
You'll do great :)

19 here, and don't worry about "Feeling young", it's just more time to enjoy playing smash... IMO at least.
dun listen to him. you are inferior due to your youth!
lmao i need a time machine
Hey, Axe. I took some footage of me playing against my brother. It's uploading to youtube now.

At my school we have a Chess and Gaming Club that we play SSBM in every day after classes. Unfortunately, today was the day the proctor decided to not show up after I had dug out my gamecube the night before to set up 1v1s (as opposed to FFA with items on... ugh). I had also brought my camera to take footage of my Falcon friend and so that never came to be. The thing that is even more unfortunate is that I have exams this week (excluding today) so the club wont be meeting until next tuesday, as we have MLK day on monday.

tl;dr : No falcon footage until next week. Sorry :/
ah poop, that sux =( well, in the mantime, just make sure to practice all the advanced moves
What's pikachu's worst matchup?
Jiggs!! darn you jiggs!! i hate her lol

well, that's MY worst matchup anyways

in all reality, Mogwai's list is probably the most accurate

how does everyone feel about ganon?

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
I'm with N64 on the mario, spacing is wierd, and timing is gay. I'm surprised noone said anything about ICs. I'm guessing everyone just forgot because they aren't real characters, they are just there for people who like to ruin the game and make it not fun.

And before I would say jiggs is like even, then chad ****in showed me how wrong I was, jiggs is a *****.

toasty

Smash Hero
toasty: don't go pika against raistlin heh. He has plenty of practice from festizzio. I'd go with marth if I were you, but really it's your call.

I'd go pika or ness against zhu. I don't know how well ness does against falco, but you might be able to pull some trixy gimps with pika. I'd start pika, see how that fleshes out, then go from there.
thanks for the info =D

What sucks is that he potentially has amazing practice against ALL of my characters because of AngryLobster [Doc/Ness], SmashMac [Doc], DarkSonic/QDVS [Marth], and...uh...Florida [Fox] >_>

I'll try Marth out and if that fails I'll try Fox...

As for Zhu, he was originally NorCal, iirc, and he probably played Simna a good bit...bah...whatever I mean I can't rely on it being an unfamiliar matchup so I just gotta **** haha.

I haven't worked on my Pika in a long time though so I doubt I'd feel comfortable enough to use him unless I get some sort of epic warmup between friday night and saturday morning XD

Zhu isn't as laser crazy as a lot of Falcos I've played so that's a HUUUGE help for Ness in the matchup...I think I'll try Ness first :)

This.

So much. <3

Top Bottom