• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

N64

Smash Champion
Just watched the SS vids, good stuff axe! He looks tough heh.

on a tourney related note, I sucked at Rom2! But here's the update anyhow.

notable matches:
LOST against Alucard (samus) 0-2 in 1st round pools
WON against Reno (sheik) 2-1 in 1st round pools
LOST against HungryBox (jigglypuff) 0-2 in 2nd round pools
LOST against G$ (falco) 0-2 in 2nd round pools
LOST against Zoso (fox) 0-2 in 2nd round pools
LOST against Thomas Tipman (ganon) 1-2 in $1 money match

and then tons of other friendlies. Most of it was unexpected to be honest heh. I thought I could beat alukard, I haven't had much samus trouble since like 2006, but he played very well first match and then went beastmode and had a comeback second match, so I have no johns heh, good stuff to him. Beating Reno was completely unexpected (by about everyone), he 2-0'd me at the only other tourney we've played. I kept even with him first match, and thanks to a suicide at mid percent by him, I edged out a victory. He then cp'd Renofield and 2stocked me heh, and then I cp'd Corneria and we had an extremely close (and long heh) game that I took having about 130% on my last stock at the end.

Second round pools I was originally put in a pool with Vanz and Kage and was super looking forward to it, but they had to redo my pool (Reno was also in it, and since we'd already been in a pool they remedied that) and i replaced someone in another pool which had HBox G$ and Zoso and that made me sad : /. But anyways, I've played HBox i think 3 times now in tourney and never won heh, but we had a pretty close second match on Corneria (I was trying out playing gay on Corneria this tourney, with some success), so I'm not too dissatisfied about that. G$ ***** me, he's really good at reading me : /. And Zoso baited me both matches and I kept going for it. Minor I-already-knew-i-wasn't-making-it-out-of-pools johns, but I dunno if i'd have beaten him anyways heh.

The money match vs. Tipman was amazing. Probably my highlight of the tourney. Our matches were incredibly close, and it reaffirmed my suspicions that pika goes even with ganon. Once pika gets inside, he ***** ganon, but getting in can be really tough. Anyways mad props for tipman, those matches were super fun, he makes ganon so fast and he's so consistent.

AXE 09

Smash Master
omfg i totally forgot that RoM2 happened!!! oh snaps!! dude, that's some exciting news to hear!

i'm sorry abou the pools man, i know alucard is really good =( but good stuff against reno! props man, represent that pikachu! how did you do in doubles?

and festizzio, i <333 you lmao

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
that's awesome you went all Pika N64, good stuff man. beating a sheik is awesome and going well with ganon is good stuff too. Not gonna lie, your pool was hard as heck lol. i've always wondered about how to fight against ganons since i can never follow up my combos haha.
i'm also wondering how you did in doubles. did you go double Pika with toasty O_O?
looking forward to some vids :)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
no n64 you should have "went Axe Crazy on them" then you would've won for sure! .......lol I love axe's pikachu!.....Axe's Pika for top tier!!!! n_n

N64

Smash Champion
Toasty and I got wrecked in pools. We have deathpool johns (the teams that made it out were: Kage&pkmvodka, eggm&swiftbass, HMW&spawn) but yeah, we also didn't work too well together. First we went pika ness, and that got wrecked. Then we switched to Sheik Marth and that did alright. Then finally we settled on double pika and it was AMAZING. We probably had our most success with them, but we still lost heh. Oh wells, was fun.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I reckon this has probably been asked somewhere in this thread, but my time is short and my curiosity is immense. What are the properties of the Pikachu SWD (for lack of a better term). From the looks of it in "The Axe Effect", you quick attack (up+b) into the ground from a shorthop and at the moment of collision on the ground, you cancel it with a wavedash or a jump? Or maybe you just mash over, I really don't have any idea how it works. ;)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
It clacked with the jolt and it stoped or something with little to no lag.

WHY Does EvERyoNe think THat's SSOOOO amazIng And Have tO aSk? really pichu has so many more uses for his up-B not even touched it's just nuts do you have any idea how much you can do with pichu's up-B the only thing is pikachu can do some edge tricks that look pretty hard I,ve done them before if anything it's much harder to do them with pichu because pikachu has a HUGE sweetspot and pichu doesn't.

Why pichu's is so amazing is it is the moist lagless moev in the game a frame of lag that's pulling some 64 S*** man. you can sheild when they attack you on a platform and up-B to punish them when they land, you can approach with it and it's just all the things that could be done with it AND no one cares at all I mean hasn't this pikachu trick been about just not known by many? Sorry but your like the 6th person i,ve seen ask WTF is that i,ve amswered or seen. And one of the thing pichu has better than pikachu everyone looks at the worse pikachu thing \for some reason I can't understand. Plus this may be used like once in a blue moon.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Ugh.

It wasn't even that we got wrecked or had a deathpool, to be honest....oh wait, no: the deathpool part is pretty legit. And don't give me that "every pool at ROM was hard" because I know for a FACT there was one that SHOULD have had one of the teams from ours put in it [that pool consisted of one top seed team, one 2nd seed team, and FIVE 4th/5TH SEED TEAMS >_<!!!!]

Oh right, my actual John:
I got completely ***** by the New Jersey Transit.

Planned it perfectly with schedules to get to the venue 2 hours before everything started so we could practice [or at least so I could warm up the Lil Boy and the rat]...but my connecting train from the NY Transit to the NJ Transit got there at the same time as my train to Nanuet left.

Those trains are 2 hours apart and the trip is 1 hour long.

>_>

So three hours later I'm waiting at the station to get picked up and taken to the venue. The ride decides that him and the people with him who finally got checked into my pre-reserved hotel room would like to take showers before picking me up. "We're leaving in 10 minutes."

An hour later, I got picked up.

My second match [maybe 3rd?] of the day was a teams pools match :(

We then lost to a team we shouldn't have lost to because of the Ness/Pika effort >_<

Sheik(N64)/Marth(me) was alright but we didn't have much chemistry. I do think we used that pair to beat CanISmash&Prog as well as Kwan&Iconic(?) but still...it was meh. We were just a bit better. [N64 was probably Pika in some of those matches while I stayed Marth, though]

Then as we were about to sit down to face Eggm&Swift (double Fox), I turned to N64 and was like...."Double Pika?"

I've never seen him glow so...

hahaha, but for real, it was SOOOO good!!! And obviously the most fun matches were had when we used double Pika.

I think our main flaw was that we didn't follow a really good rule of thumb for great teams play: each person should have a role.

It was like Chad said about teaming with Axe in some friendlies and teaming with N64, etc..."he was the rapist and I was the stock tank" or something to that effect.

We didn't have that at all. We both just kinda played how we felt, and juggled/helped when we could.

Oh well.

Would do again, most definitely ^_^!!!!

[Although honestly, I think Marth/Pika would be really successful. Not as fun. But definitely successful]

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I remember trying to CG N64 perfectly.

I got it a few times but couldn't do it consistently at all. So I gave up pretty quickly and settled for 40% U-tilt and Uair combos instead.

God I love Sheik.

:)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wow. Sheik is so easy to play you don't even have to learn easy chain grabs. You can just mash buttons.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
*faceroll*

WOW I DID 80% AND SETUP AN EDGEGUARD I'M SO GOOD

To be serious, Pikachu and Roy are the biggest problems I have with chain grabbing. When I attempt I can do the rest of them most of the time.

*flex*

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
It clacked with the jolt and it stoped or something with little to no lag.

WHY Does EvERyoNe think THat's SSOOOO amazIng And Have tO aSk? really pichu has so many more uses for his up-B not even touched it's just nuts do you have any idea how much you can do with pichu's up-B the only thing is pikachu can do some edge tricks that look pretty hard I,ve done them before if anything it's much harder to do them with pichu because pikachu has a HUGE sweetspot and pichu doesn't.

Why pichu's is so amazing is it is the moist lagless moev in the game a frame of lag that's pulling some 64 S*** man. you can sheild when they attack you on a platform and up-B to punish them when they land, you can approach with it and it's just all the things that could be done with it AND no one cares at all I mean hasn't this pikachu trick been about just not known by many? Sorry but your like the 6th person i,ve seen ask WTF is that i,ve amswered or seen. And one of the thing pichu has better than pikachu everyone looks at the worse pikachu thing \for some reason I can't understand. Plus this may be used like once in a blue moon.
Did I ever say it was useful? Did I ever insult Pichu's up+b? Plus, having harder techniques than other characters does NOT make anything better. Pikachu's "HUGE" sweetspot makes Piakchu's ledge tricks, dare I say it... BETTER! The only thing I got out of your first paragraph was that Pichu is more prone to SDing if it does its ledge tricksies. Flashy techniques are sweet, I would never dare try it in a match I wanted to win. I just wanted to know how it works. And sure, a ALMOST lagless move is great, other than the fact that you can mess up and gain lag. Such as your example of shielding an attack and up+b ing down to hit them. You must travel diagonal, from my experience, to gain no lag travelling off platforms, which would most likely put you out of range for any move Pichu has. Sure, situationally it could be helpful. But you overrate it. the 3 damage doesn't help.

N64

Smash Champion
lol KK

my thought process when playing you was like "ok i got grabbed, lemme try the magic DI" *failsI "ok lemme try again" *success* "Yay i got out, now he can't CG me unless he figures out the timing ^^.

"gah got grabbed again. Magic DI go!" *gets utilt utilt ftilt fair'd* "Owwwwwwwwww : /"

"ok, grabbed again, i need to stop letting this happen >_>. Anyways, maybe he's stopped trying to CG now and I can just DI away" *gets regrabbed* "bah, well maybe now i can.... i can... T-T take 40% damage i guess"

</3

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
A few questions from a Fox main eager to learn Pikachu:

Can anyone describe the hitboxes of the uair? From what I've figure out, if I do a uair facing away, I'll get them to go up, if I jump up and uair as rising, I'll get a tailspike forward, but I'd like actual confirmation on what part sends where.

How much priority does the dair have? I never really used it much in just casually playing him, I preferred nair to it generally, but I recently heard someone say that it'll usually at least trade with someone.

How useful is the bair? I generally hear mixed feelings regarding it, but anything that's situationally helpful is still good to know.

I've been working on my quick attack antics, and I feel pretty good about quick attacking from the stage to the edge, from the edge to the edge (a little more trouble doing it angles as opposed to away and back, up and down, down and up, etc.), but how useful is it actually in the overall scheme of edgeguarding? I saw Axe use it multiple times against characters like Jiggs, Sheik, etc. Is it more of a secondary, just-another-option-to-have kind of thing, or is it actually a pivotal aspect of his edgeguarding game?

I don't really feel that I'm using the uair to it's full extent either. I can control some gimps like the jump off, and jump and do a rising uair tailspike, but I just don't feel like I'm doing it justice in like, combos and whatnot. Any advice?

Generally speaking, how should Pika throw most characters in terms of comboing them? Obviously there are the always possible fthrow and bthrow, but what about other situations?

I apologize for so many questions in a single setting in advance. >_>

AXE 09

Smash Master
alright, well let's see...

pikachu's uair has 4 different hitboxes that effect the trajectory of your opponent.

if your opponent is directly behind you and you hit him with a uair, he'll be sent almost strait up, slightly backwards. (assuming they don't DI)

if you hit them with about a 45 degree angle behind and above pikachu, then they'll be sent backwards/downwards (kind of in the same trajectory as Fox's shine, except the distance they travel depends on the damage they have, whereas fox's shine has fixed knockback) in what you could call a "reverse tailspike".

if they are directly above you/slightly above and in front of you, then you'll perform the regular forward tailspike. it's the same trajectory as the reverse tailspike, only they go forward instead. this is VERY useful for finishing off opponents and gimping

if they are directly in front of you, then they'll be sent in somewhat of an arc up and over your head, being sent behind you. at lower percents on lightweights, you can combo this into an upsmash if you run backwards right after this hits

The dair has the best priority with someone directly under you. if you fall with a dair, it'll at least trade with most hits. in my opinion, it's very usefull for edgeguarding. for instance, if someone is recovering kinda low, then you can drop down with a dair, and their recovery will trade with your dair.

Dair, Nair, and Bair all have the same damage given (i think). whenever i use Bair, i use it as a last hit from a combo when my nair/dair are already stale. i just use it to give a little more damage, but from my experience, there's nothing that can combo out of your Bair

as far as using the quick attack offensively from different angles off the edge, that's just something i like to do. this technique isn't necessary, so you really don't have to worry about it. i personally love using it though =) but i haven't seen too many others use it. this technique isn't necessary.

try using a rising uair out of shield. this (i'm pretty sure) is pikachu's best option out of shield a majority of the time. as a fox player, think of it as a shine out of shield. it can stop pillaring falcos or any other kind of shield pressure most of the time. this is something VERY useful. when i do it, i press up on the control stick then press A, but that's just me. if you hit someone behind you with your uair, you can combo them. you should be able to find out combos with this through experience. you can pretty much do anything out of a rising uair if you hit them upwards. i personally love using uair -> dair, but anything else will work. it also depends if you're fighting a fastfaller or not. just mess around with it

as far as throws go, with MOST characters, a Uthrow will usually lead to another guaranteed hit. against light characters like marth, you can Uthrow -> nair/uair. against fox/falco/falcon, you can either chaingrab them with Uthrows, or do Uthrow -> up smash. Uthrow and Bthrow can combo into an ariel if they DI towards you at mid/high percents, but if you're looking for a guaranteed hit, Uthrow is good. if you'd like, you can also Dthrow and tech chase, kinda like falcon.

i hope all this info helps :p

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
axe i wub u.

Okay, more questions:

How do you do the Pika SWD? It looked like you quick attacked the second hit into a projectile then teched or something, but I could be wrong. It just looks like a really cool mindgame that'll throw people who aren't familiar with Pikachu off.

How much priority does the ftilt have? I like to use it against a bunch of characters like spacies, cfalc, pretty much anyone without a disjointed recovery (Marth, Peach, etc.), but am I missing out on better possibilities?

What about dtilt? I like to use it to chase hits like a pseudo-jab with a little more range. I used to use it like a poke for edgeguarding too, but I tend to just take a step and ftilt nowadays.

And invariably, utilt? I like uthrow > utilt, but I could just be playing too much like Fox. It's also another case where I could probably be doing something better as a follow up, but idk. Advice and opinions on here as well?

I also remember reading that Pika's jab doesn't function like a normal jab, that it just kind of pushes or something. Can I not use it to force them to get up then set up a grab combo or something, or am I mistaken?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The superwavedash (I believe) is just the Quick Attack clanking on the projectile but preserving the momentum. It's a lot like... if you ever see Fox's second jab clank or Falcon's gentleman.

You can jab reset with Pikachu's jab. It probably works better than most jabs for that for the reason that it doesn't have any vertical knockback.

And priority... really doesn't work the way you think it does.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
I always thought of priority as like which move will take precedence over another move. Like the way that Sheik's needle cancels out Samus's charge shot, because they're equal or something.

Am I wrong?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Sheik's needle cancels out Samus' Charge Shot because it's a solid object. It's the same as if the Charge Shot hit someone. It doesn't really cancel out because of damage.

The way priority works is that attacks can either go through each other, clank off of each other, or one will plow through another.

Air attacks trade hits with air attacks and ground attacks.

Ground attacks clank with ground attacks if they're within eight or nine percent damage of each other.

Projectiles clank with air attacks and ground attacks if they're within eight or nine percent damage of each other.

If the attack is more than nine percent damage, it'll go through.

Disjointed hit boxes don't give you more priority. They just make it so you don't get hit if the other person's attack goes through yours.

Make sense?

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
You seem to have misunderstood me. I wouldn't want to try to ftilt something with a disjointed hitbox because it would win regardless of priority, not because I think the ftilt won't work because disjointed hitboxes add more priority. I didn't know all of the specifics you listed, but I had it right conceptually.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You didn't really explain your concept of it, you just asked how much priority it had, and I gave you your answer.

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol thanks man. ok, so for the super wave dash...

basically, with pikachu, all you need to do is up-b strait into the floor with your first zip, then go directly horizonatlly across the floor with your 2nd zip. if you're hit by something in the middle of your 2nd zip with equal priority (in Axe Effect, in the 2 times that i did it, i used YL's boomerang and my own thundershock that was reflected back at me), then the 2 moves will clank together, and you'll perform somewhat of a SWD.

if you have someone to practice with, i'd suggest trying out SWD's on final D with pikachu against link. just have him throw his boomerang, then up-b into the floor, then horizontally. links boomerang is the easiest to pull it off on in my opinion, but you can also do it off of things like most character's jabs, the flipper item, mario/luigi's fireball, etc etc. pretty much just anything with low priority.

Ftilt is AMAZING! it has awesome priority. you are definately using it correctly for edgeguards. most of the time, try to angle your ftilt downwards if you are trying to edgeguard. if you just do a normal ftilt, they sometimes can still sweetspot, so downard ftilts are awesome for edgeguarding.

for onstage usage of ftilt, you would want to use upward ftilt most of the time. it has amazing priority and stops others from being able to approach. if a falcon tries to approach you with a shffl'd nair, an upwards ftilt will beat it. it's a pretty safe move, and i love using it.

dtilt is very good also, i use it pretty often. it's kind of just a "get off me" sort of move. it pushes them away, and has very little lag which is very good. if you try dtilt -> grab, it should work most of the time, because the opponent usually doesn't know how to react unless you've faught them countless times. it works for me a lot. but in a nutshell, crouch cancel dtilt is pretty much just a move if you want other characters out of your space. if you're fighting a sheik that loves to tilt, crouch cancel down tilt will save your butt, trust me.

Utilt is probably the move i use the least. it's actually decent, it's just move of the time i'd rather use another move. it's not a bad move though, i know other pika players have incorperated it into their game play. i can't really give much advice on this move cuz i don't really use it often lol.

and yes, if a character is on the floor, you can jab reset them with pikachu. it's pretty much the same as fox. you can jab reset and punish them with anything (i'd personally upsmash most of the time). however, if they're NOT on the floor and you jab them, it kinda sux because for SOME reason it has a ton of lag after it. the only thing that pika's jab will cancel into is another jab, so if you find that you jab someone, i'd recommend to keep jabbing until your jabs can't reach them anymore. sad to say, usually when i jab someone in the middle of the stage, it usually ends up in me getting punished. i usually only use it when a character is close to the edge, and i'll just keep jabbing until they fall off. if you jab in the middle of the stage though, chances are that you'll get punished, so use this move wisely.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey would upair be good for pikachu to approach? I use it as pichu all the time vs some people autocanel is pretty easy, more range and can set up grabs/F-smash on fox,falco, and falcon. pikachu has more range so yeah it might be amazing.

hey call the up-B thing the flip flop cause their like YES i,m camping then their like WTF? my camping has betrade me sadness why master hand why me. this isn't right God knows it more crying as you **** and your like waa I,m teh ninjachu rapein you all day. But yeah flip flop sounds pretty good but it's not my call go ahead and call it a wavedash

AXE 09

Smash Master
*gasp* me vs hugs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCTmu68nJ0

sorry about the ending lol! don't worry, it was only a friendly ^^ gosh hugs is so amazing

oh and Uair as an approach? i actually think it's alright. for the most part though, when you approach with it, most of the time you'll probably hit them when they're in front of you, which means they'll be sent flying behind you. i use it occasionally just for mindgames, but i usually can't do anything out of it. sometimes i can run backwards and upsmash for a combo, but that's only if i can react fast enough.

lol flip flop? haha i dunno about that. i kinda just like calling it a super wave dash lol. but i guess it wouldn't hurt to try to come up with a new name for it ^^

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
fUn looking match I had a fream I was moving to texas I was sad. But at one point you edge gaurded with dair and you took 1% and I said that ain't pichu.

I think flip flop is amazing but hey if that's how you roll that's cool

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
haha ya the ending was sad :( but awesome game there was a lot of crazy off edge stuff going on it was awesome.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
axe, do you ever link a video of you and someone else without complimenting them? Like everytime you say you played someone, your like,"man, they were so freakin good. I can't believe I freakin won!"

:-)

AXE 09

Smash Master
so just for fun....

what does everyone like to do after you kill an opponent and you have to wait for them to spawn?

i personally, for some reason, like to a wavedash, then 2 or 3 dash dances, then a running shffl'd nair, then repeat. i have no idea why i do this, but i kinda just started noticing it lol. the moment after they spawn, i either wavedash off and grab the edge or up-b to the edge. for some reason this is like instinct for me to do.

i've been thinking about trying out some new things just to be different, but i have no idea what lol.

N64

Smash Champion
I grab a ledge and drop, slight rejump, upB directly into the ledge, and regrab. It's not really technical, but I like how it looks and it draws attention from the opponent so i can sometimes stall out their invincibility with it and then get safely back to the stage while they're curious.

But mostly i just like how it looks/feels heh.

Top Bottom