• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What is the best way to mash out of grabs?
ROTATE the control stick and mash the face buttons.

You could also try flicking the C stick diagonally, as it counts as 2 inputs, but since you have to let it return to neutral I think the face buttons might work faster.

Splice

Smash Hero
Hey if you power shield Snakes Ftilt, is it ever an option to Nair OoS? Will that work?

And if you power shield Marths SideB, can you ever do Nair OoS as well?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey if you power shield Snakes Ftilt, is it ever an option to Nair OoS? Will that work?

And if you power shield Marths SideB, can you ever do Nair OoS as well?
No to the second. A very iffy maybe to the first, but shieldgrabbing is the superior option in both situations regardless. Or D-tilt is acceptable against Snake.

And people should learn buffered U-air out of shield. Granted it's uses definitely are not obvious for G&W, but I guarantee you that it's a very useful option to know. Especially against someone like Marth.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
is it possible to predict a 9 on judge?
I may be wrong when saying this, but it seems from my past experiences that the lvl9 side b hammer is a probability factor. It's completely random and has as much of a chance as any other given number based on my experience. I tend not to use the move for that particular reason, the lack of solidity in knowing what the outcome will be. Admittedly, a lvl 9 hammer feels great when you pull it off, LOL

Splice

Smash Hero
Thanks, A2Z.

And yeah I know Uair OoS is great sometimes, against some of Marths airials, Metaknights Dair above you, and way good against Wario.

But at the moment I'm having trouble dealing with:

Snakes Ftilt
Marths SideB
Wolfs Bair - only coz the wolf I play spaces like a pro.
Bananas.

So I need help for them. Please help, I really can't deal with these moves for some reason.
ofc also have trouble with Marth and MKs UpB OoS, but I know what to do, just need to... get better ;)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake's F-tilt is easy, the trick is keeping your cool while grenades are out. It's usually unwise for him to challenge your aerials with it. D-tilt comes out 2 frames later than first hit F-tilt but can either clash or interrupt the 2nd hit. Dash in to powershieldgrab the first hit is good. 2nd hit F-tilt can be D-tilted, B-aired, or F-aired out of shield.

Marth's SideB is really tricky to deal with against a smart Marth, who will mainly use it as a punish tool or in combos. Generally speaking you want to shield it, and then you can either shieldgrab him out of hit 3, or you can wait for hit 4 and do whatever you want out of shield. The only other option against SideB is SDIing it, which is something I personally suck at.

Wolf's B-air is one of those moves that you either accept is going to exchange hits with you a bit, or you pick up on your opponent's patterns and powershield it, and make him regret getting predictable. Due to Wolf's fall speed, there is a fairly narrow window when he can space B-air on you when you're grounded, so trying to powershield spaced B-airs is fairly low risk and can be quite rewarding. Generally Wolf's pressure game isn't anything to write home about, so you don't have to be too worried if you block his B-air early. If you're behind Wolf and he's on the ground, I believe crouching also ducks under his rising B-air.

As for Bananas, try practicing with them a lot in training mode. Smoke Balls are also useful for item practice since they bounce. Picking up a character like Link I believe also helps you learn item tricks.

D

Deleted member

So guys, I don't play Game and Watch. Just for fun I suppose, but I was playing him in a doubles match on PS1. Kirby down-aired me off the right side of the stage. After he did that, I Up-B'd....and then Up-B'd again immediately after. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.

Have I discovered something to advance his metagame? AUSPHER PARACHUTE! I'll upload a video probably sometime tomorrow.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This comes up so often, it's ridiculous.

There are three options:
-You got hit by some move after using Up-B the first time
-The windbox of Kirby's Inhale hit you after using it the first time.
and, the most likely scenario:
-You got footstooled.

All three will give you the Up-B back after you've used it.

D

Deleted member

None of those happened. I showed Silhouette and his jaw dropped.

Also, like I said, the second Up-B happened immediately after the first.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
None of those happened. I showed Silhouette and his jaw dropped.

Also, like I said, the second Up-B happened immediately after the first.
Trust me. It is a footstool.

You can footstool G&W on the beginning of his Up-B. This does not interrupt it, but it gives him a second Up-B he can use immediately after.

You probably got footstooled during Up-B after that D-air edgeguard. I mean seriously. What is Kirby going to do after D-airing? He's gonna jump. And you're under him. So he jumped as you Up-Bed. You were technically footstooled, but this didn't interrupt your Up-B, but being technically footstooled restores your Up-B.

D

Deleted member

Trust me. It is a footstool.

You can footstool G&W on the beginning of his Up-B. This does not interrupt it, but it gives him a second Up-B he can use immediately after.

You probably got footstooled during Up-B after that D-air edgeguard. I mean seriously. What is Kirby going to do after D-airing? He's gonna jump. And you're under him. So he jumped as you Up-Bed. You were technically footstooled, but this didn't interrupt your Up-B, but being technically footstooled restores your Up-B.
Dair also can spike. He hit me down a good distance.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dair also can spike. He hit me down a good distance.
Irrelevant information. Everything you are saying is still COMPLETELY consistent with the footstool theory. You got D-aired very low. Kirby was jumping as you were Up-Bing, which resulted in him registering a footstool on G&W as he was rising, which then met the requirements for restoring G&W's Up-B in midair.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Is it possible that it was buffered by the time you got hit and G&W was able to pull another one since you were hit by Kirby's dair? That's what it looks like.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't know. I'm really not sure what happened there and that's why I asked here.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The footstool would also probably act funny due to the wind hit boxes on GW's Up-B.

Things to consider.
I was about to say this.

It's OBVIOUS you were footstooled. You can hear Kirby mashing jump in that situation and the distance he rises is the result of a footstool jump + G&W's windbox effects.

D

Deleted member

Oh, okay. Like I said, I don't play G&W often so I'm not familiar with his windbox effects. It was hard to tell in that situation for a non-G&W main.

Thank you for clearing this up. :)

Splice

Smash Hero
I'm pretty good against MKs, and I can deal with the UpB a lot of the time. 60% of the time I Uair it and get a smash or Fair, and I also Dair it most of the times he tries to use it when im high above...

But how can I effectively bait it?
What do you guys do when you think he's waiting for you to do something he can UpB OoS?

Also I find myself getting glide-attacked when I try to Uair the UpB late in the animation sometimes - do I need to change position when I'm at that angle or is Uair no longer viable in that position/time?

AND
What's the best thing to do after you put him in free-fall? I dont think I abuse it enough, Normally just get an Fair or slightly-charged Dsmash. =(

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
ya,i have a bad habit of trying to squeeze in that uair even though I KNOW ima get hit lol. It's best to go for fair or upb when you know you won't be able to uair. Running up and shielding is a common way to get them to upb but the better the MK is,the more creative you have to be in your baiting. Try empty short hops, pretend to approach/bair then back away, spam dtilt/smashes,etc. Obviously you don't have to do this all at once but the point here is to be unpredictable and get them to react. xD.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Does anyone have any helpful hints/tips/strategies/practices on improving teching?

Splice

Smash Hero
Thankyou Penta. That was helpful, I try most of those baiting tactics though they pretty much only UpB when I am not ready. Guess they are just too good for me <3

Thankyou very much though :)
I will try UpB and Fair instead of Uair too :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
B reverse Chef is an extremely underused bait tactic that can score massive reward depending on how your opponent reacts to it and it's virtually safe to do. It's best used when you have conditioned your opponent to attempt to punish predictable B-air approaches. Which honestly should be very easy to do.

I know that I don't do it nearly enough in my strategy yet. But seriously, it's really good.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm new to game and watch and I was wondering when you are bucket breaking do you di first then use nair for the momentum canceling? I'm so used to using the c-stick for di that I don't understand di without accidentally doing something else becides nair. Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
After you take knockback, let go of the control stick (which you used for DI), hit the A button, fastfall, and Down-B.

It's as simple as that. It did take me some practice to learn though.

Splice

Smash Hero
A2ZOMG you are on the right track with B-Reverse Chef.

Incorporate it into your game and you will see results, I know I did! It can be the difference in a match coz it can give you enough time to land a kill move!

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
When I have a full bucket and I'm at a high percent. When I get hit off and need to bucket break/ momentum cancel. What should I do if I don't wanna bucket break because I don't wanna waste it?
Sorry if I'm confusing anybody lol.

Top Bottom