• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Cross.

Smash Ace
I actually sometimes struggle with cancelling the phantasm every now and then.

Just remember that you don't mash b and you actually have to time the button presses (they're quite quick!)
Actually I'm not mashing B but I never cancel it when I want to. Im asking if anyone knows WHEN exactly to press b(as soon as he is going to shoot off, as soon as he shoots off etc). Also, there are multiple points you can cancel it at? I thought You could only cancel at one point to make it shorter.

Question about jabs. I've been wanting to do Jab x2 > ftilt, dtilt, etc. , but the problem is that unless I make contact with the 2nd jab on the person I automatically seem to go into an AAA spin. Even though I only pressed A twice not three times. There anyway to avoid this?

Occasionally my acciden has saved myself, but often times people have been able to roll behind me and I get stuck in the spin and punished for it.

J4pu

Smash Champion
no way to fix that, if you don't hit with the 2nd hit, it goes into combo.

I've been using a ton of Jab/Jabx x2 > Dtilt recently and it's been working well.

I think Dtilt has more range than we've given it credit to before, plus Dtilt should theoretically be the quickest thing to jab cancel since crouching after jab lessens the IASA frames, to do anything else you have to stand back up after crouching. And of course there's that shield poke factor.
I'm starting to like cancelling jabs into Dtilt again.

Jab Jab Dtilt (if shielded > repeat from first jab)
--------------(if not shielded follow-up however you can manage)

It's not the most amazing thing but I'm finding it quite useful.

no way to fix that, if you don't hit with the 2nd hit, it goes into combo.

I've been using a ton of Jab/Jabx x2 > Dtilt recently and it's been working well.

I think Dtilt has more range than we've given it credit to before, plus Dtilt should theoretically be the quickest thing to jab cancel since crouching after jab lessens the IASA frames, to do anything else you have to stand back up after crouching. And of course there's that shield poke factor.
I'm starting to like cancelling jabs into Dtilt again.

Jab Jab Dtilt (if shielded > repeat from first jab)
--------------(if not shielded follow-up however you can manage)

It's not the most amazing thing but I'm finding it quite useful.
That gives me an idea with ftilt angled up and dtilt. If you keep using jab/x2 > dtilt, this does a good job of poking a shield when it's a bit low on power ata persons feet. Perhaps, if you notice them angling the shield downwards all the time to avoid the dtilt, you might be able to use the angled up ftilt to poke the shield ablove there head.

Also what is better for spacing and less punishable (ex. shieldgrabbed). Regular ftilt, angled up ftilt, or angled down ftilt?

J4pu

Smash Champion
regular ftilt has most range (i think) so a well spaced normal ftilt would be safest on shield.

part of the reason I was saying dtilt was good though was because of the minimum lag btwn the jab and the dtilt because: Dtilt should theoretically be the quickest thing to jab cancel since crouching after jab lessens the IASA frames, to do anything else you have to stand back up after crouching.

iono, i used to use a lot of jab to ftilt, but I'm liking dtilt better again.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Can someone point me to the discussion or thread where it was determined that crouching lessens the IASA frames? I'd like to read into it a bit more.

Thanks.

J4pu

Smash Champion
dono where a thread would be, but just go try it with Ike
Jab then Jab again
then try Jab crouch Jab

you'll see you are able to repeat the first Jab within smaller intervals if you crouch between, it's a big difference. I heard it's also obvious for Snake.

My guess as to the reasoning is when you are crouching it's impossible to go into the AAA combo, and crouching isn't considered an attack (so you can do it before the "continuous Jab string timer" runs out) therefore you can Dtilt before the "continuous Jab string timer" runs out/resets

Tallon

Smash Rookie
Hey I would like to know what move I should use to cancel or help momentum when Falco gets knocked into the air. I usually dodge, is there a better way?

When you take vertical knockback you want to perform one of your aerials than fastfall that aerial. Or you can hit down on the c-stick multiple times until you perform the Dair. Hitting the c-stick automatically performs FF.

I only know momentum canceling with vertical knockback, not horizontal, so someone else will have to explain that one.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am doing a secondary choice chart (cause I am cool).

So, would you say Falco has an advantage on Lucario or disadvantage?

Small or big?

Neither board has discussed it =[

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I would call it even. No CG, but we can shut down AS. We both have good aerials. Yeah, as far as my experience goes, it feels even.

Denzi

Smash Master
I would call it even. No CG, but we can shut down AS. We both have good aerials. Yeah, as far as my experience goes, it feels even.
Yeah, my friend plays Lucario, and I beat him a lot, but Lucario isn't his main, so taking that into account, it's probably fairly even.

nice1

Smash Lord
ok i got a tourney to go to saturday. i got the RPBG down good but i hav one question. When i was playing a friend, a wario main, when i would to do a RPBG on him a zero percent he would just footstool off me as soon as i turn around to grab him. So my question is when i finish a d-throw do i run a lil bit then do the RPBG or do i do it right on the spot? i was trying to figure this out all night.

baldurseeyou

Smash Rookie
I've watched the vid and it feels that it expects too much.
But I've been practicing on "curving the firebird" trick

GMo

Smash Apprentice
ok i got a tourney to go to saturday. i got the RPBG down good but i hav one question. When i was playing a friend, a wario main, when i would to do a RPBG on him a zero percent he would just footstool off me as soon as i turn around to grab him. So my question is when i finish a d-throw do i run a lil bit then do the RPBG or do i do it right on the spot? i was trying to figure this out all night.
I have a similar problem. I think it works, but depends on how far you dash.

Denzi

Smash Master
I have a similar problem. I think it works, but depends on how far you dash.
I'm not 100% sure either, but I think it only happens if they happen to be mashing jump (or time their jump extremely well) and you mess up on the timing. You have to give yourself a little bit of time to start the dash, but you do want to try to BPG as fast as possible.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I've never had it happen to me at 0%, it has happened occasionally later on tho, I'd guess "perfect" timing is necessary.

Oh, and you canNOT curve the firebird, it moves straight in one direction, when you hit a wall it may slide along that wall and appear to curve but it does not actually curve due to anything you do.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and you canNOT curve the firebird, it moves straight in one direction, when you hit a wall it may slide along that wall and appear to curve but it does not actually curve due to anything you do.
I just wanted to clarify...Yes, the direction of the firebird cannot be changed once he flies through the air. During this period in fime, Falco flies in a relatively straight direction. BUT, if you point the control stick between the diagonal and the left/right/up/down position, the firebird will appear to bend SLIGHTLY through the air. You can't cause the firebird to curve mid-air, but you can make the firebird bend slightly...letting you ledge-grab in ways that the normal firebird cannot reach. (This is particularly life-saving when you're under the lip of a stage).

Traditionally, people have called this "diagonal" firebird a "curved" firebird (and as far as I knew, the person who made the thread about it many, many months ago called it a "curved" firebird). After all, the move does appear to bend very subtly through the air. The effect is far more pronounced with fox.

So, you're right, you cannot curve the bird directly, but the term "curved firebird" isn't exactly incorrect either. I think what baldurseeyou meant by the 'curved firebird trick' was getting used to accurately pointing the control stick in between the diagonal and normal positions during Firebird's warm-up.

Denzi

Smash Master
So, you're right, you cannot curve the bird directly, but the term "curved firebird" isn't exactly incorrect either. I think what baldurseeyou meant by the 'curved firebird trick' was getting used to accurately pointing the control stick in between the diagonal and normal positions during Firebird's warm-up.

^This. It's the only way you can live from underneath the FD ledge, a regular diagonal firebird doesn't work.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Firebird can be aimed in 1 of 16 directions (as long as you aren't standing on ground):North, NNE, NE, NEE, East, SEE, SE, SSE, South, SSW, SW, SWW, West, NWW, NW, and NNW
you're telling me that for some reason 8 of the 16 possibilities (all 3 lettered annotations) are being called curved firebirds???
WTF, that's just ridiculous, it's merely a slighter diaganol... people these days.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Firebird can be aimed in 1 of 16 directions (as long as you aren't standing on ground):North, NNE, NE, NEE, East, SEE, SE, SSE, South, SSW, SW, SWW, West, NWW, NW, and NNW
you're telling me that for some reason 8 of the 16 possibilities (all 3 lettered annotations) are being called curved firebirds???
WTF, that's just ridiculous, it's merely a slighter diaganol... people these days.
I agree, it's silly and it really doesn't make sense. The term stayed just because nobody knew what to name it. "Slighter Diagonal" doesn't have a nice ring to it while "Curved Falco" sounds crisp :laugh: .

I'm pretty sure the name was coined by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3WNP4ef0g in March of last year. I could be wrong, though. Either way, everyone called it "curved" just because it...kinda curves a bit when you ledgegrab. :laugh:

nice1

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% sure either, but I think it only happens if they happen to be mashing jump (or time their jump extremely well) and you mess up on the timing. You have to give yourself a little bit of time to start the dash, but you do want to try to BPG as fast as possible.
ima try that thanx

baldurseeyou

Smash Rookie
Thanks for mentioning me. I appreciate that.

Carbonated

Smash Cadet
I was just messing around in training and found a cg that works pretty well against some of the sort of floaty characters. Seemed to work best against ROB. I have no idea how this works with DI so it may not work.
All it is, is d-throw ->jab -> grab and repeat.

Someone test this please.

nice1

Smash Lord
I was just messing around in training and found a cg that works pretty well against some of the sort of floaty characters. Seemed to work best against ROB. I have no idea how this works with DI so it may not work.

yea i was trying this out too. i'ma try it out in friendlies at a tourney tomorrow

I made a post about that earlier. It doesn't work really well against them. If DIed away from you upon hitting with the jab you are out of grab range, and there is still enough time to jump out of the way should a person catch on.

There a thread on the olimar vs falco match up? If not, could someone give me a general overview of the match up?

Denzi

Smash Master

It's entirely escapeable. The closest you can get to a CG on those characters is Dthrow -> SH Dair -> Turnaround Regrab.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
So I've been practicing my rpbg, and a couple of times when I do it I end up full on boost smashing.

This raises a lot of eyebrows as if I was pushing my c-stick up I would simply hyphen smash which wouldn't go particularly far. I've also noticed in match that if I attempt to grab at certain ranges, I'll jab instead. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be other than "you're an idiot and you're pressing attack instead of grab" (because I may not be great at this game, but I'm not THAT dumb)?

Denzi

Smash Master
So I've been practicing my rpbg, and a couple of times when I do it I end up full on boost smashing.

This raises a lot of eyebrows as if I was pushing my c-stick up I would simply hyphen smash which wouldn't go particularly far. I've also noticed in match that if I attempt to grab at certain ranges, I'll jab instead. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be other than "you're an idiot and you're pressing attack instead of grab" (because I may not be great at this game, but I'm not THAT dumb)?
I don't really know, but use left/right on the C-stick for the BPG to avoid boost smashing.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
"you're an idiot and you're pressing attack instead of grab"

Kidding.

uuh yeah if you're going to cancel your dash attack into a BPG, I would use the direction opposite of your a-stick. For example: you grab with Falco on the left. Dthrow> buffer dash to right and dash attack using left. Then cancel into pivot grab. Works every time.

Denzi

Smash Master
uuh yeah if you're going to cancel your dash attack into a BPG, I would use the direction opposite of your a-stick. For example: you grab with Falco on the left. Dthrow> buffer dash to right and dash attack using left. Then cancel into pivot grab. Works every time.

This method is 100% Falco approved :)

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
It seems much easier to do the BPG if I dash attack in the opposite direction of my dash... thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out! If you hold the grab button after inputting a smash with the C-stik you charge the smash!

J4pu

Smash Champion
Cstick horizontally makes you stutter step Fsmash if you do it too fast, use Cstick down for optimal speed. You can't stutter step Dsmash

EDIT: I figured it out! If you hold the grab button after inputting a smash with the C-stik you charge the smash!
You clearly have never tried playing IC's (that's how Nana smashes while Popo is grabbing, or other way around)

I've been using snake as my secondary as of late and I've been noticing the benefits the the Jab to beatout or cancel a large number of attacks due to insane prioity and speed.

Does falco's jab have the that kind of prioity as well?

Top Bottom