• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
It seems much easier to do the BPG if I dash attack in the opposite direction of my dash... thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out! If you hold the grab button after inputting a smash with the C-stik you charge the smash!
This game's winner is... Melee!

Also, I don't think Snake's jab has very good priority. I think that holding A just spams it so fast that it makes it look like it does since it will always hit at max range at the best possible time.

This game's winner is... Melee!

Also, I don't think Snake's jab has very good priority. I think that holding A just spams it so fast that it makes it look like it does since it will always hit at max range at the best possible time.

That too. Moves so fast you hit people before you get attacked, but I'm talking about actual beating out or neutralizing of other attacks. You know when 2 attacks collide the animations just stop and neither wins out over the other. That is what I am talking about regarding prioity. I've used snakes jab to neutralize various tilts, aerial attacks, even certain projectiles. So this is what I wanted to know about falco's jab if it neutralizes a bunch of attacks. I've not been really able to try it out since timing is a bit difficult to do with 2 controls by yourself and CPUs don't help any by being completely random in the attacks.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Falco's jab clanks with G&W's judgement hammer, there was a thread about it a while ago with a video.
the thread was wrong and the video proved it was wrong, lol

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
From what I understood from that thread, Falco's jab doesn't clank with G&W's 9 hammer.

The reason it looked like it did on the video was because Falco and G&W were so far away from each other that neither character could reach the other's hurtbox. Since only the hitboxes were hitting, they did the clanking animation.

I'm under the impression that this happens with all normal ground moves.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
If someone is grabbing a ledge, and you Falco Phantasm towards it to grab it, is there any chance that you will damage your opponent and grab it yourself, or will you always fall?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
If their invincibility frames have worn out, it is possible to hit them off of it and grab it, I'm pretty sure I've done that before.

J4pu

Smash Champion
kind of
technically if you are hit straight up it's best to use bair and also use analog stick to FF in the same frame, but using Dair is easier since it's just one input and helps you survive just as well, the only reason bair is slightly better is because it allows you to do another action sooner (aka it ends faster).
Don't forget to DI to the corners

sasook

Smash Champion
Hey guys, just curious, I struggle a lot against Falco (he destroys both of my characters) and I was just wondering if maybe you guys could let me know of something that may help me perform better? I really have no idea what to do against Falco when I play him.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just curious, I struggle a lot against Falco (he destroys both of my characters) and I was just wondering if maybe you guys could let me know of something that may help me perform better? I really have no idea what to do against Falco when I play him.
Who do you use? Do you have videos of you playing your friend? Saying: "Make me play better" is...probably not going to get a good response. We can't help if we know nothing about your playstyle :bee: .

Try telling us what you struggle with. Are there aspects of Falco's game that always seems to beat you? Let us know what those things are, and we can give further help from there. Otherwise...your guess is as good as mine. Perfect shield more?

sasook

Smash Champion
My mistake, I should have clarified. The characters I use are in my sig - Link and ZSS. With ZSS, I feel like I get outspaced and killed earlier than usual. CGs to dairs onstage rack up damage fast, and the reflectors and FF fairs are killers. Rising bairs and uairs usually KO me, occasionally an fsmash.

With Link, I feel like I suddenly have an extra 100 pounds added. My playstyle just feels so slow in comparison to Falco's. CGs, SH dairs, FF fairs, jab combos, rising bairs, and of course, the lasers. I just dunno what to do whatsoever. If I get close, I get owned. If I move away, I get lasered.

I struggle with all Falcos really, but the aggressive and combo-ey ones really get me. I have a very hard time spacing against them with both Link and ZSS. I'll try to get up some vids of myself playing against Falcos in the next couple of days.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
My mistake, I should have clarified. The characters I use are in my sig - Link and ZSS. With ZSS, I feel like I get outspaced and killed earlier than usual. CGs to dairs onstage rack up damage fast, and the reflectors and FF fairs are killers. Rising bairs and uairs usually KO me, occasionally an fsmash.

With Link, I feel like I suddenly have an extra 100 pounds added. My playstyle just feels so slow in comparison to Falco's. CGs, SH dairs, FF fairs, jab combos, rising bairs, and of course, the lasers. I just dunno what to do whatsoever. If I get close, I get owned. If I move away, I get lasered.

I struggle with all Falcos really, but the aggressive and combo-ey ones really get me. I have a very hard time spacing against them with both Link and ZSS. I'll try to get up some vids of myself playing against Falcos in the next couple of days.
Maybe keep a bomb with you at all times, so the Falco's might rethink something else rather than a cg?

sasook

Smash Champion
Maybe keep a bomb with you at all times, so the Falco's might rethink something else rather than a cg?
I try to, but even after the CG percentage is over (Link gets out at 45%), I still get owned by combos.

FF fairs? really?
That's what it always seems like - from what I remember, it's a full hop FF fair into a grab or dsmash. Why, does fair have bad landing lag or something?

EDIT: Again, my mistake, I got the nair and fair mixed up. FF nairs is what I meant. But yes, sometimes they use fairs as well.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Sasook: for ZSS advice against Falco, you might want to check out their matchup thread (such as this post http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5773935&postcount=70 ) ; it has strategy advice and also a link to our own matchup thread at the end. Read through, figure out some patterns to look for in Falco and what to do against them.

That probably gives a much more in-depth answer than anything that we can give in a quick post.

Denzi

Smash Master
who is the worst character to use against falco? (don't want any CF anwsers :()
Anyone who gets CG spiked with no chance of recovery.

who is the best character to use against falco? (don't want any MK anwsers lol)
Thanks!
Yeah, ICs, Kirby, and Marth all do really well against Falco. MK actually goes about even with Falco.

@ Sasook: I'm pretty sure ZSS can flip jump out of the CG as long as it isn't done perfectly.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
who is the worst character to use against falco? (don't want any CF anwsers :()
Bowser is something like a 90-10 iirc. He doesn't survive the CG->downspike and even if you fail to get that, he's slow and his priority isn't high enough for him to do jack **** against you. Ike is also pretty high up there... DK... think "heavy characters with poor recoveries". Fox and Wolf are also pretty horrendous iirc. Fox is a little better off imo.

who is the best character to use against falco? (don't want any MK anwsers lol)
Thanks!
Kirby. I don't agree with these boards that GW is a 70-30 and I make no secret of it (I think Falco's got a lot of great ways to deal with GW, and would put the matchup as a 60-40 GW) but Kirby owns us on the air and in the ground and all around town. If he sucks up our lasers, he's almost as good at camping as we are as well...

sasook

Smash Champion
who is the worst character to use against falco?
Even I can answer this one. Link. Falco was made to destroy Link, it's like 8:2 Falco's favor if I remember correctly.

And thanks for the ZSS tips guys, I'll keep those in mind and take a look at that matchup thread.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Bowser is something like a 90-10 iirc. He doesn't survive the CG->downspike and even if you fail to get that, he's slow and his priority isn't high enough for him to do jack **** against you.
Bowser is like... 45:55, maybe 60:40 Falco.

He has some impressive grab release shenanigans on us and Firebreath can sometimes force us into UpB, which is somewhere we don't want to be.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Oreo go ask Light or Spec >_>, they know how

if you're facing right
Press right to dash
Pull the control stick left
As you're doing that push the cstick right and press z roughly around the same time

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
If you're going to cancel your dash attack into a BPG, I would use the direction opposite of your a-stick. For example: you grab with Falco on the left. Dthrow> buffer dash to right and dash attack using left. Then cancel into pivot grab. Works every time.

What this means is:

While Falco is shooting the guy with his dthrow, you are buffering a dash (a stick smash to the right or left.) The second he leaves the grab, dash and dash attack using the cstick in the opposite direction (see above.)

Before the Dash attack comes out, smash the c stick backwards then press Z. You should pull off a sliding pivot grab.

Denzi

Smash Master
What uses are there for wall jumping the edges?

Getting you back to the stage/ledge in a situation where you'd otherwise have to Firebird
Wait out your opponent's invincibility frames
Get out from under the dreaded FD ledges (which still get me on occasion lol)
If opponent is right on the edge of the stage, walljump Bair does a good job of hitting them away
Walljump Fair could possiblt gimp someone with poor recovery
Walljump Uair turns you around so you can hit a grounded opponent at the start of the move, giving it a better chance of actually hitting
Walljump can help with your spike placement
Walljump -> Phantasm just to mix things up
I think I've seen Ozz use walljump -> reverse double laser, but that one's pretty situational

So yeah, Walljumping correctly can be pretty useful and can lead to some pretty good stuff.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I have a question about CG'ing with falco.

I notice all these different falco players on youtube and everywhere don't run most of the time when CG'ing with down throw. It looks more like falco takes a half step then he grabs whoever it is he's CG'ing. Is this better then just running then grabbing them? If so, could someone tell me exactly what you do with the gamecube controller to do this?

Recoil

Smash Journeyman

I notice all these different falco players on youtube and everywhere don't run most of the time when CG'ing with down throw. It looks more like falco takes a half step then he grabs whoever it is he's CG'ing. Is this better then just running then grabbing them? If so, could someone tell me exactly what you do with the gamecube controller to do this?
A walking cg compared to a running cg makes is to avoid the chance of tripping. Its simply taking a small step by walking for each down throw.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet

Instead of mashing down while doing the throw, which I think the problem is as I used to do this, you should just press down once and then switch the control stick to the desired direction of travel. This will mean that you will dthrow and will come out walking after it, ready for another grab.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Here's a kinda vague question, but has anything especially noteworthy happened in Falco's metagame within the past few months? I'm too lazy to read through the threads, and help is appreciated! Is it still viable to just play with a December-era Falco?

Also, BPG=Boost Pivot Grab, right?

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Here's a kinda vague question, but has anything especially noteworthy happened in Falco's metagame within the past few months? I'm too lazy to read through the threads, and help is appreciated! Is it still viable to just play with a December-era Falco?
To summarize:

No.

Unless you're interested in dthrow>jab>LL which only works from 60% on some characters with some DI?

I thought not. I'd say you'll be fine, unless you haven't heard of BPG, SHDL>DACUS, or IAP.

If you have the basics down solid, you should be fine though. ATs are just frills.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Ok, so Falco is one of my mains, however, I haven't really read up on what other people do as Falco. I have however watched combo videos.

I have a question, how do I cancel my phantasm (side-b)? Sometimes I do so, and I still do the phantasm but I barely go anywhere, which is good because it fakes out the enemy. How is this done? I can't figure out how to do it consistently.

Thanks!

Top Bottom