• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well Falco could have done a faster option and then it wouldn't have mattered. Gluttony's choice of punish wasn't the point of the vid. I also wasn't making any comments about the difficult of b-reversing laser, and I'm pretty sure that's not actually how you do what Gluttony did there lol. Welp it's pretty impressive how everybody seems to talk about some other than the main point. >_>

Your advice is interesting. I mean it's always a good thing to experiment new ways to play your character, although in a serious match I don't think I would ever go for the mixup off d-throw until the CG stops working. Have been using this tactic against any specific characters?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Actually, I have no issue doing what Gluttony did, though, what Rain did, that, that I have some issues with.
Guess this is what I get for doing them before I knew they were 'Hard Advanced Techniques'.

And for what I said, against any character in general, I felt I heavily relied on the CG and Lasers, and when I wasn't able to get the CG, I would run off and camp for nearly 8 minutes.

So, I decided to learn what Falco is like without the Laser camping and CG.
He has many other ways to rack damage up without them, and it may peek a surprise in your opponent.
I believe you need to learn both styles of play instead of just one.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
How are you supposed to land on the stage? I don't know if this is just me or a falco thing, but I get consistently punished on landing when I'm recovering from a hit. Like I'll try airdodging, but then I just get hit with a smash attack. And it doesn't seem like throwing out a bair is very safe either. I'll sometimes try to phantasm away before I hit the ground to trick the opponent, but even that gets punished! Am I missing something here or is it just always this hard?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You can fall to the ledge, and you don't always have to jump towards your opponent, there's nothing wrong with retreating.
It's just a bad habit players have in general.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
How do I kill with falco? :(
I can get em up to really high percents.
All have smashes have like now range.
Except fsmash but it's slow.

I use Bair. That's it though, unless I'm lucky and punish with fsmash :3

:phone:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
How do I kill with falco? :(
I can get em up to really high percents.
All have smashes have like now range.
Except fsmash but it's slow.

I use Bair. That's it though, unless I'm lucky and punish with fsmash :3

D-Throw at ~120%, Jump Cancel Pivot Hyphen Smash ( Charge it )

Or just Laser -> Usmash.
It's not guaranteed but, most people shield drop after the laser, then the Usmash gets them.

Or if they're coming down, charge a Dsmash, it's always a nice finisher.

As well, if they hit your shield with a Miss spaced aerial or attack.
Usmash Oos. You can even Charge it a bit depending on what you're hit with.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Oolala, that is nice. Thanks.
I'd ask about the olimar MU, but I assume it's just reflecting/shooting pikmin and CG>dair spikes or smashing his pikmin/defenseless self.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Confidence booster

Has any one felt shame in playing Falco?
I have recently felt this because of people mocking my falco or I just get destroyed in a match.
Does anyone had this problem before? This feeling really sucks, now I feel weird playing as falco against people. Any confidence booster would help thanks. (Tips also.)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I've never really felt shame for playing a character. I think it's a running joke in NJ that Marth is the worst character in the game, and I used to main Marth, but I just shrugged that kind of thing off. I also feel like most of the time people are joking when they make those types of comments, and if they aren't, then they're kind of as$holes and idk why you are around people like that.

It's one thing if people are mocking your Falco, it's another thing if you're just not good at playing. Ever heard of trash talk? If you ever go to a tourney, you better expect it if you plan on getting a good placing. Even if you have a good Falco, people will sh*t talk you to try and get in your head/throw you off your game. Based on what you've just said, it sounds like trash talk would be very effective against you. Know that trash talking is another type of tactic employed in any competitive environment and know that getting mad/frustrated is only playing into the opponent's hand. For me, I don't like to do what people want to manipulate me to do, so it's much easier for me to deflect those sorts of remarks. Granted, I haven't actually experienced trash talk at a very high level either.

Now, if you're actually playing poorly, then that's a different matter. It means you aren't good enough, and you need to get better. And if people are making fun of you for it, it's kind of a **** move, but it has some truth. Instead of getting hung over those types of comments, however, you should use that as motivation to improve yourself. I mean this is kind of where the cheesy life advice comes in, but use their antagonism as your motivation.

Now confidence boosters, I can't give you any, because I don't know you personally, so I don't know any of your other redeeming qualities. All I know is how you play brawl from the videos you've posted. If you're looking for me to give shallow compliments, I won't, because I think you played poorly in the videos you posted recently. HOWEVER, I think the standard to which I am judging you on is much more extreme, and if you are just looking to get better than the people around you/your friends, then I think you can do that as long as you polish up on your mechanics. Falco is the type of character where you can be good by just being able to perform all his little techniques and tricks. Keep that in mind, and I hope you are more successful in the future.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
lol that's good to know. Hopefully you guys can answer another question I have then. How do you guys condition your opponents with your laser game? I'm mostly asking about the mixup game Falco has against most of the cast when the opponent shields a silent (or close to silent laser) in close combat with jab and grab. Usually I just wing it, as in most of the time, I just followup with jab. Then when I feel that the opponent is expecting jab, I grab. Other times I just grab without prior conditioning. I have mixed results with my guesses, but since Falco is such a ridiculous character I don't get punished nearly as much as I should. So, I my question is how do I increase the success rate of landing grabs or are there specific signs you guys look for when in an opponent to know when a grab will land?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
If you're lasering, and they're walking and shielding them, they'll wait for the phantasm, it gives you a free run up -> Grab on them.
Other way can be laser -> Buffer Dash + Short Hopped/ Full hop aerial. It's safer than to risk being grabbed or hit.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
SHDL when they're far away, SHSL when they're mid-close range, ground lasers for situational purposes (vs snake, or to mess with your opponent's perfect shielding).

As for mixups out of lasers... you answered your own question.

You get the grabs when you know you can get the grabs. But if an opponent spaces a move you can't shieldgrab... don't try to grab. You'll whiff and a lot of times your opponent will read your whiff and punish accordingly (similar to reading a spotdodge or roll)

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
Has any one felt shame in playing Falco?
I have recently felt this because of people mocking my falco or I just get destroyed in a match.
Does anyone had this problem before? This feeling really sucks, now I feel weird playing as falco against people. Any confidence booster would help thanks. (Tips also.)
Dude, you gotta keep your head up. I'm led to believe thats the way of the :falco: . But the way :falco: 's deal with that differs. I tend to let go an hard loss and let that serve as motivation for me, i.e; (How'd I lose?) to me playing :falco: is like science experiments. Trail and error.

Edit: And people who mock you dont know what every single :falco: player is capable of. What makes it funny- Next tme be passive that really helps. just laugh. And a new day presents a new means all the salt is behind you that happen yesterday.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Marlx if you feel shame when you lose using Falco then it just means you must go back to the basics, practice DI/SDI, momentum cancel and the likes. Cross said it : Falco is a ridiculously good character, but that doesn't mean you have to rely on his strenghts alone.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
SHDL when they're far away, SHSL when they're mid-close range, ground lasers for situational purposes (vs snake, or to mess with your opponent's perfect shielding).

As for mixups out of lasers... you answered your own question.

You get the grabs when you know you can get the grabs. But if an opponent spaces a move you can't shieldgrab... don't try to grab. You'll whiff and a lot of times your opponent will read your whiff and punish accordingly (similar to reading a spotdodge or roll)
I guess that's why they call it a mixup :/. Thanks for the clarification BC.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
Which characters does his chaingrab work on, and at approximately what percentage does it stop working (for each character)?

If you're jelly your forum doesn't have its own subforum............. HARASS YOUR CHARACTER BOARD'S MODERATOR. AND END EVERY CORRESPONDENCE WITH "HEUHUEHUEHUEUHEUHE". AND MAKE SURE THEY DON'T KNOW I TOLD YOU TO DO THAT. As had already been said, if this works here, it will likely follow suite elsewhere!
Sub-forums... A place to take all regular conversation to other locations.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Is there a window in which Falco's reflector doesn't reflect if he's buffering it? As in, if I'm charging an arrow as Pit and Falco's buffering reflectors, is it possible to hit him through it by releasing at the correct time? If so, how big is this window?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
At Wendell - No. And It's "Guaranteed". Not "Garanteed".
At Zulo - It reflects from frame 4 - 51, Hits on frame four ends on frame 51.
Reflects all the way, even in cool down.
If he's spamming reflector, Grab him. Or attack him while he's in cool down.
But, if he goes Reflector -> Reflector. You have a 4 frame window to hit Falco with the arrow.
But not while it's out.

Falco is not reflecting himself, only the reflector is. So, when he kicks it away, you can aim an arrow up and over Falco or under him. The reflector starts reflecting objects on frame 1 and will continue to do so until the very last frame of the animation. So, you can keep kicking it out without a moment where it is not reflecting.

An active hitbox is out frame 4-13

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Grab and don't get grabbed. It's honestly the best advice.

But no there isn't a thread for it. Yet.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Well, I find it very useful to do sh autocancelled Dairs in hopes of hitting him with the sourspot... and don't IAP when the other falco is short hopping, he can stop you with a laser and then you would be facing 15 frames of rco lag. That's all I can do for you.

Oddly enough, we have absolutely nothing on the Falco match-up as far as threads are concerned from all the searching I did. At least as far as my searching on the forum got me.

What exactly are you having issues with in the match-up?

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
Oddly enough, we have absolutely nothing on the Falco match-up as far as threads are concerned from all the searching I did. At least as far as my searching on the forum got me.

What exactly are you having issues with in the match-up?
Well i've been studying :falco: 's MU's the past 2 months and yet seen :falco: Mirror match. I'm the kinda person that needs indepth details on things like these.. Thats why I asked, i've heard about the MU but I really never studied it. I don't want to go to a tounery and lose to a :falco: who I know my :falco: is better than.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The ditto is stupid and stupid and stupid.
Then again, I always loose the ditto.
It's stupid.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I have a few questions..

1. What is the biggest thing when moving from a mid level falco to a top level falco? Is it really just player skill? (reads, DI, ect.) The only AT I can't do yet is BDACUS but honestly it is so situational that it shouldn't make up the mid/high level difference. I'm just looking for some things to improve on.

2. How do you guys deal with a situation where there aren't many/any high level players in your area? I'm the best of my friends and the friends of my friends, but that's not saying much because only 2-3 of them could be considered a mid level player... maybe. I want to get better, but I don't know if I can without higher competition.

3. Are there any somewhat common/easy ways to set up laser lock in an actual fight? I've never done it, but I've seen it every once in a great while and it is oh so sexy. I remember reading that there is like a F-Tilt to laser lock on fox at some % but I'm not positive.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to get into the competitive scene and am just looking for as much input as possible.

Top Bottom