• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
my question is who is the best secondary for falco?

my current oens are ness,wario and snake
Umm... whoever you're best with?
Theoretically, it would be MK, and in Falco's case, perhaps Marth. Marth deals with Kirby really well, and although GaW isn't that big a deal any more, he's still pretty tough. Marth, however, has a solid matchup against GaW. Snake's a pretty solid choice too (pun intended).

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have a question/proposal? Do Falco's ever use UpB offensively/to tech chase? At the end of this post, if you want to point me to an old topic, or start a new one, I'd be happy to oblige.

I used to/kinda still do secondary Falco (though I only use Marth in tourney and for anything serious, and only break out Falco on request)

Naturally, Falco is a lot more technical than Marth, so I keep my skills sharp in training mode every once in a while. Shoot double lasers at Kirby for an hour, practice Dash Attack Canceled Pivot Grabs and USmashes, test out new chainthrow combinations, etc.

It occurred to me how potentially underused Fire Falco is as an approach.

Now, READ BEFORE POSTING, because I don't intend for people to activate Fire Falco and blast at their opponent, pretending it won't get shielded and punished.

Most of the time, Falco camps, this is true, but very often, when you are in your opponent's face, they will choose a defensive option. If you run in your opponent's face, pass them by a little bit, so you can't get shield grabbed, and then activate Fire Falco, you are almost completely safe. By the time your opponent realizes what you just did, you have protective flames on startup, and they will hit your opponent/shield stab. It will also win vs a spot dodge, which is a popular defense to Falco's approach, because he likes to grab.

Furthermore, This move can punish a left or right roll, and chase. It can also follow a jump into the air. Most importantly, you can just retreat if your opponent does something smart.

Obviously, there are some opponent's you wouldn't do this to, like Marth, since he can just UpB you. But it's good on many other characters.

The most important part about this, is that since you never use Fire Falco offensively, your opponent will most likely fail to DI correctly. It can potentially deal over 25%.

If an opponent is lying on the floor, (this happens often if Falco Dairs them into the ground), Phantasm will tech chase very well, but might overshoot the stage, and you might die, and it also deals very little damage. This can force them to stand up (or they will get burned and blasted, and it can tech chase any direction.

After a getting phantasm on the ground at low percents, an opponent generally air dodges. Falco is generally with is back to the opponent, ending his phantasm lag right behind them. This might be another OKAY time to employ firefox.

Lastly, SH Fire Falco right below an opponent wo is weak from below might call out their airdodge, and allow you to catch them with this move.

Anyone try this ever/have any success with this?

Mith_

Smash Champion
Pierce that has never even remotely crossed my mind. I see now how it can be used as a tech chase. For some characters if you land it it leads to a laser lock. Good ****.

Pierce never even posts here but the one time he does its epic.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
What is Falco's fastest aerial? When I'm getting knocked away with characters, I generally use their fastest aerial followed by a jump, but I'm not sure which aerial of Falco's has the fastest startup and the quickest ending.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Falco's Upair has the quickest ending, but the startup is fairly unimpressive.

Use Bair for survival. It ends second fastest, only slightly after Upair, and it comes out much earlier.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
How do you cancel the phantasm? Ive seen several videos with this, but I still can't figure out exactly how to do this.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Why does the game allow Falcos Gatling combo? could someone cunning please tell me?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
To zrky - you cancel the phantasm by pressing B at the right time, after the phantasm starts. There are three possible cancels - beginning, middle, end.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know wise words were once spoken. Do not delve into the reasoning behind things that do not matter. After all, the reason Falco's gatling combo works is irrelevant. The fact that it works is what matters. I'm so heartless sometimes, but I just don't like questions that bear no fruit when answered...

Mith_

Smash Champion
You know wise words were once spoken. Do not delve into the reasoning behind things that do not matter. After all, the reason Falco's gatling combo works is irrelevant. The fact that it works is what matters. I'm so heartless sometimes, but I just don't like qusestions that bear no bread when answered...
fixed.
friggin 10 char limit UGGGG

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Your question makes no sense. What do you mean by "why does the game allow it"? It allows it because a dash attack can be canceled into an upsmash. Duh. That much is obvious.

As to the details of why the game allows that? How the hell are we supposed to know, this game isn't open-source, we can't read the code!

Why does the game allow Falcos Gatling combo? could someone cunning please tell me?
The Smash Deity, Sakurai, said, "I bestow upon you Falco Dudes, my chosen smashers, a move of br0ken power, and I call it the Gatling Combo!". And so, the Falco Dudes of the Falco boards rejoiced at the new 0ber power that they had been given, the power to Kick ***!

I hope that answers the question that everyone is having problems understanding. I mean it is quiet simple that this is the reason why.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It allows it because a dash attack can be canceled into an upsmash. Duh. That much is obvious.
How the hell are we supposed to know
lol.. hotblooded =_=
The DA does NOT get canceled, only the afterlag gets canceled, which is awesome.
"DACUS" however, cancels the DA.

Falco's dacus and Gatling combo are two different things! duh! ;)

Well.. ALL characters can DACUS (techniqually)

But only Falco and Snake can hit the opponent with DA, and directly afterwards Usmash. The other chracters can't Usmash if the DA came out.
(At least I don't think any other character can do it.)

You'll have to excuse my sucky english!

Mith_

Smash Champion
lol.. hotblooded =_=
The DA does NOT get canceled, only the afterlag gets canceled, which is awesome.
"DACUS" however, cancels the DA.

Falco's dacus and Gatling combo are two different things! duh! ;)

Well.. ALL characters can DACUS (techniqually)

But only Falco and Snake can hit the opponent with DA, and directly afterwards Usmash. The other chracters can't Usmash if the DA came out.

I think you should talk to somebody with a cyan name about this.

Next.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Mithx should seriously be made a mod on the Falco boards.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Do I need to buffer anything to finish the chaingrab -> downair combo? I've heard multiple opinions on this and want a conclusive answer.

Denzi

Smash Master

I think Wario can too, the Usmash just doesn't hit the opponent.
Your english is fine.

Do I need to buffer anything to finish the chaingrab -> downair combo? I've heard multiple opinions on this and want a conclusive answer.
Buffer a dash, SH, then Dair.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
My friend just picked up Falco and I dont quite know how to work around the chaingrab.

As in, which direction should I DI to escape the grabs faster. I usually DI upwards and to the left right when the grabs start but I dont know if that is right. Can you guys give me any detailed advice?

inb4dontgetgrabbed

Mith_

Smash Champion
You can't, that's why its called a 'chain'grab eh bra?

You can try DIing towards him and go for a footstool.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
ok i got some doubles qestions and since i play falco in teams im gonna try asking them here:

1)my partner plays wario, any general strats?

2)if it is down to 2 v 1, can he f-smash the opponent out of my grab?
------is that based on spacing?
------or controller port?

3)is this a good team? i can go snake as well

just looking for some good thoughts

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
How do I boost pivot grab or whatever? and if I do it, is it still a chaingrab?
What Denzi said is correct but there is also another way of doing it that is less button inputs and you may find easier, I do as a matter of fact. Basically you just dash forward and then press A while moving the control into the opposite direction and then press shield (Basically pivot grabbing but make sure you input the A command ever so slightly before shield so you get the boost effect). I find this much quicker as my index finger is already on the shield button, just a matter of preference really. Try both and see

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
ok i got some doubles qestions and since i play falco in teams im gonna try asking them here:

1)my partner plays wario, any general strats?

2)if it is down to 2 v 1, can he f-smash the opponent out of my grab?
------is that based on spacing?
------or controller port?

3)is this a good team? i can go snake as well

just looking for some good thoughts
1) This is just based on my knowledge and not experience as I have never played with a competent enough Wario to say for sure. I would say that you'd want to play slightly campy and keep your distance from the enemy, this is due to Wario having the better recovery and being slightly heavier. This means that he will live longer and if you have to you can share stock. If the Wario can defend you well enough then you can pull off some chaingrabs to rack the opponents percent quicker leading Wario into the kill. Wario should be getting kills here with Falco building the percents with lasers and retreated nairs. But obviously help your teamate out if he is in a pickle.

2)Yes- it is based both on spacing and controller port. Basically just make it so the Wario will only hit the opponent, and because of Wario's fsmash that's not something that is hard to do.

3) Snake is more of a battlefield control character and is one of those that is much better by himself, I'm not saying that he is bad in teams he just can't control is opponent as much. I would stick with Falco unless your friend wants to keep dying to Snakes c4 and claymore.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
good stuff......however:

when ever i try and sit back and camp, like i would do in singles, i always seem to hit him
wario is always in the air approaching with dairs, that is just how he plays....

i guess im just not too fond of falco's potential in teams currently

snake is good cause, like wario, he can tank damage and i find it easier to c4 an opponent who is fighting my partner because he is not paying attention to anything that i am doing

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
good stuff......however:

when ever i try and sit back and camp, like i would do in singles, i always seem to hit him
Wario is always in the air approaching with dairs, that is just how he plays....

i guess im just not too fond of Falco's potential in teams currently

snake is good cause, like Wario, he can tank damage and i find it easier to c4 an opponent who is fighting my partner because he is not paying attention to anything that i am doing
You have got a good point here and so if your Wario partner plays like this then Snake will be the better choice. Snake goes for the ground dominance while Wario owns the skies. I do agree that Falco's lasers are annoying in teams but maybe just SHL may work but thats about it really. If the Wario is good enough to keep the opponent in the air then you can finish them off with I think Snakes best killing move is urrr punish with a dsmash. But no seriously used that rigged utilt of his.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
Thats why he said go for the footstool but if the player times it perfectly then yes you won't be able to get out of it. The only thing you can do is sit there DI'ing away while Falco plays with your lifeless body for 30 or so percent.

Denzi

Smash Master
What Denzi said is correct but there is also another way of doing it that is less button inputs and you may find easier, I do as a matter of fact. Basically you just dash forward and then press A while moving the control into the opposite direction and then press shield (Basically pivot grabbing but make sure you input the A command ever so slightly before shield so you get the boost effect). I find this much quicker as my index finger is already on the shield button, just a matter of preference really. Try both and see
I used to use this method as well, but it's generally agreed that the other way is better. Your finger should be on the Z button during a CG anyway, and Falco has a couple of other techs involving the Z button + C-stick, so it's easier this way for most people.

Top Bottom