• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Denzi

Smash Master
what better dash grab or boost dash grab?

and range?
For CG, buffer the dashgrab when you need to and only boosgrab chars that require it (Marth, for example).

Otherwise, both are pretty horrible, but I'd assume boost had more range.

Choice

Smash Champion
someone should come up with some frame data on boost grab. i dont get why you'd get footstooled sometimes where as dash grab wouldnt be. if you buffer, i dont see the difference.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Uh quick question

I've been using/seconding Falco for a while--do you guys use different control schemes when it comes to Falco? (tap jump off, x to grab, r to special or w/e, etc.)? I use Bowser and I just use the default control settings for up-b/klaw stuff.

Is there anything you guys would recommend, or is the default control setting fine?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Some may argue that pressing a shoulder button then immediately press b will be faster, but yeah both are legit ways to IAP.

You stole my royal blueness >_>

I am debating about Falco's epicness on the tier list. I feel like he might be sligthly overrated. Thoughts anyone?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Falco may be overrated, but he's a better character than Snake is, so maybe he should go down, but should be above Snake.

Choice

Smash Champion
I don't really agree with him being better with snake though i would like him to be. Falco is at least top 3 for certain.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I think Snake is getting the GW effect, where he was thought to be amazing at first then ppl figured out how to play against him. Although seems like GW is seemingly coming back up again after UTD Zac figured out how to win with him.

I always imagine that playing claw would slow you down somewhat and would feel awkward, not the case?
It takes getting used to and you somehow do it without realizing it. I surprising claw myself when using snake. I hold B with my thumb, then claw for the jump button to do tosses. It feels cumbersome when I do it, but when I do not pay attention to it, it's natural. I would say it can be fast if you do not keep having to pull my finger from R to Y all the time.

clowsui

Smash Legend
clawing should always be done with the index on y, that way you not only maintain maximum control over specials but aerials also

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah...well, I'm not exactly the clawing type. I don't really have any reason to do so. I just Phantasm by pressing y and rolling it to b (my thumb is big enough to do it. :D/i practiced it for like a good week last year.)

I dunno, it just seems mad awkward trying to play claw, I've done it before.

Choice

Smash Champion
you dont play with clawing the entire time, just switch back and forth depending on what the situation calls for.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
clawing should always be done with the index on y, that way you not only maintain maximum control over specials but aerials also
Why on Y? My index stays on X for jump, Y is grab.

you dont play with clawing the entire time, just switch back and forth depending on what the situation calls for.
False. Claw entire time.

--
I can blame Halo for clawing, but i've grown to love it. Any control scheme changes people do are pointless when you claw.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
What exactly do you mean by proper?

This may not be the best way but I just DI down and away to tech it, because everytime I try to DI up I just get NAir'd/Up-B'd. Unless you're talking about something completely different -__- It just depends on the situation, right?

Why on Y? My index stays on X for jump, Y is grab.

False. Claw entire time.

--
I can blame Halo for clawing, but i've grown to love it. Any control scheme changes people do are pointless when you claw.

I've honestly never played Halo enough to get into the whole Claw psyche. If it's fine just using the default controls, I usually don't bother with anything else except turning TJ off when I'm not using Bowser.

Also, another question (it seems awkward because I main someone who's basic shield options such as spotdodging and rolling are just bull) but how good is Falco's roll/how often should I be using it in certain situations?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
falcos roll is really good. use it until they punish you for it, like lucarios.

and about mks down throw, what about at the ledge?

and by proper, i mean the method that will help me to avoid the harshest follow ups.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
falcos roll is really good. use it until they punish you for it, like lucarios.

and about mks down throw, what about at the ledge?

and by proper, i mean the method that will help me to avoid the harshest follow ups.
Ohhh ok I see what you're saying. At the ledge, if you DI down and away, it'll set you in an awkward position because the MK can either:

a] edgeguard, and you're screwed if you try to go for the ledge
b] edgeguard, and if you successfully get on stage, you'll either be too far for him to punish, or close enough to nado or w/e
c] edgeguard, and force you to debate your recovery tactic while you get s-looped in the face
d] fire-bird, and edgeguarding/gimping will ensue
e] fire-bird, and you go :D if he thinks you'll phantasm onto the stage
f] DI down and away and just jump back onstage with NAir or an airdodge/dublaser and go from there. Of course, if you're at high percents, that won't exactly work because you'll be launched farther.

if you DI up:
a] if you airdodge, you'll probably be punished
b] aerials?

if you don't DI at all, I have absolutely no idea what will happen.

I suppose the universal down-away situation doesn't work all the time. Then again, with all those situations I listed, with a human mind, he can only go/predict one move...

I only did cover variables, but I don't think there's a "proper" way per se, you know? there are lots of factors; for example, if you're at kill percent, how your opponent edgeguards, what you do when you're off of the ledge...

Ares

Smash Journeyman
At low percents, i beleive if you DI up, they can get a free shuttle loop..so it would be best to DI down. But if they read your DI, they can regrab you.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
How important is phantasm cancelling? I don't know any of the other uses besides mixing things up and being unpredictable.

Does the full cancel go as far as the non-cancel except you drift forward? Might extend recovery for when you need just a little more ummph to reach that ledge

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Great mind games..and yes the long cancel goes same distance iirc except you keep your forward momentum when it ends..thus increasing the distance, very helpful for recovering. Short cancel is amazing mindgames.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
Okay, this is something I've done a few times, and I want to know if there is a consistent way to do it.
Sometimes when using phantasm and aiming near the ledge, instead of grabbing the ledge or going the full distance across the stage, I instead end up standing about one falco length away from the edge of the stage. If there is a consistent way to do this, I can avoid people who are hanging out in the center of the stage to punish me without having to get the timing right for an illusion cancel.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
How important is phantasm cancelling? I don't know any of the other uses besides mixing things up and being unpredictable.

Does the full cancel go as far as the non-cancel except you drift forward? Might extend recovery for when you need just a little more ummph to reach that ledge
Full cancel doesn't go as far as the non cancel, but the momentum makes you drift a lot farther as you fall.
So it all comes down to what trajectory is the most useful for you, depending on the situation.

omega zero

Smash Cadet
Qu(s)estion: I want to get some tourney experience, I haven't been to one yet. Is there a tournament/smashfest locator I could use? (I live 7 minutes away from Rutgers New Brunswick, if that's of any help.)

Denzi

Smash Master
Qu(s)estion: I want to get some tourney experience, I haven't been to one yet. Is there a tournament/smashfest locator I could use? (I live 7 minutes away from Rutgers New Brunswick, if that's of any help.)
Check out the regional zones and find your region, that's usually where your local tournaments will be posted.

YOu could also try the tournament listings thread, but that might be of less help.

@Swordsaint: And?

swordsaint

Smash Master
I don't want to play this game anymore.

Honestly. Did better than I expected, I could take a stock. M2K's not that smart of a player to be honest, I found him fairly predictable but his spacing and knowledge is just far superior. As soon as I got hit in the air, or sent offstage, there was no making it back. I think it mostly had to do with not playing that level of Metaknight before, because having no prior experience to these situations was definitely a handicap.

Seriously though, don't take it the wrong way like something "aw, if I knew the same things he did I'd win". It's still not true.

anyway,how do I recover against M2K?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Honestly, if I played someone such as Mew2King I really wouldn't be discouraged.

It does rattle you if you've never played an MK on that level before, but just bounce it off. I'd label it as more of an interesting experience than a complete shutdown.

And wait, M2K was in Australia?

Top Bottom