• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Kaffei is right, mike i think you either didn't understand the question or didn't understand kaffei's respone.

Either that or me and kaffei don't understand the question, lol.

Anyways, fast falling through platforms is very simple. If you are standing on the platform, just tap down to fall through it and then down again to fastfall.

If you are above the platform, just fastfall and hold down as you reach the platform and you'll go through.

The only trick here really is that you can't be in any animation while you begin to pass through a platform, and i think you have to press down on the analog again if you finish an animation before reaching the platform.

*EDIT: People generally use Y to jump when clawing.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yeah, those are both just preference. I use R when pivot grabbing and L when shielding, personally. There's really no right or wrong.

Same with X and Y.

Reizilla

Again, it's just a comfortability thing. You could use your middle finger, ring finger (I do this), or even your pinky if that's what felt best for you.

earla

Smash Lord
ok. in melee marth can shield breaker ledge stall. ledgehop sb then grab edge in one motion without having to up b to suvive.

is there a way to sb ledge stall in brawl? i was playing around in training mode. no find yet

Reizilla

Dolphin Slash ledge regrab is da bess.

There's also drop off fair to DS, but that's pretty risky.

earla

Smash Lord
yeah i've got that down, just experimenting with the possibility of sb'ing in a stall.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
edit I didn't see the page number

and DS ledgestalling is by far the safest most effective way as of right now for ledge stalling purposes

Dreem

Smash Rookie
Hi. I feel like (for a starting marth) I have a decent Marth. I space somewhat good. However I seem to struggle in the aggressive area of my marth. Everytime i try to be aggressive it doesn't really work out. I don't want to be overly aggressive but i think i'm a little on the defensive side. Can someone help me out?

kaffei4lunch

Smash Cadet
Do you always claw, or do you generally switch between playing 'normally' and clawing?
If you switch, when do you generally use each?

Reizilla

If you can always claw, more power to you. Some people switch to claw for grab release > dair on MK. Clawing also helps you do stuff like a fully retreating fair out of shield, among other out of shield things. Basically any time you feel you using only one finger is holding you back.

earla

Smash Lord
1. what is the 'claw' position and what is its application? i read that shaya mentioned you may need it for a rising u-air? why?

2. what is the purpose of short hop dancing blade? i've seen it been used before a forward air as a mixup/attack string , but generally what are its applications if any?

thanks.

Reizilla

Claw is shifting your first finger to the X, Y, A, and B buttons, so you can use your thumb for c-stick. One of your other three fingers would be on the shoulder. This helps you not have to waste time shifting your thumb from X or Y to c-stick when doing a rising aerial. It could also help in doing a rising dair with full forward momentum (gr > spike on MK). Basically used any time it might hinder you to move from a button to the c-stick.

I've always felt sh db 1 to be pretty gimmicky, so I couldn't tell you about it. I think Ramin likes to do that a bit.

earla

Smash Lord
cheers.

what are good ways to bait opponents attacks?

shaya suggested spacing moves deceptively giving the opponent the impression they can punish us. what other ideas?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
-Walk around (moving in and out of their attack range)
-Empty SH's (same idea as ^)
-Stand there (need % lead/PS'ing abilities against projectiles/an impatient opponent)
-Taunt (lol)

That's all I got xD

Rad

Smash Ace
cheers.

what are good ways to bait opponents attacks?

shaya suggested spacing moves deceptively giving the opponent the impression they can punish us. what other ideas?
You can hover around the opponent's desired spacing - ie. dashing in slightly then dashing out. This might cause them to commit to something which you can punish. For instance you might Dash -> Shield into MK's Dash Grab zone then immediately dash back, pivot grabing / reverse DBing if they commit to something. Of course, for that example to work you either need to condition your opponent into expecting you to stay in your shield or realise that they're anxious to grab.

I kinda feel that's a bad example because it requires conditioning or prediction. Of course, that's the root of baiting. You need to understand what your opponent wants to do.

You can also bait your opponent's defensive reactions too, don't forget. Doing a short hop at SHFF F-air range can bait a shield. Dashing at a 0% opponent can bait a spot dodge. Hell, by interrupting an opponent's momentum you can almost bait a backwards roll - well that one's pushing it.

As a last point, you can bait moves by creating a bit of deceptive lag. One example is to whiff an F-Smash then DS when they move in (Although I wouldn't recommend doing that example unless you accidentally whiff an F-Smash and are in a lot of danger - and even then it'll only work once).

U-Taunt -> DS too, of course.

I'm not really sure where one concept ends and another begins, but there should be some good information in this post. (someone correct me if I'm crazy)

Cyzs

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't tap jump on have the same benefits of claw? Also, what would be Marth's best stage vs Snake?

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
What's the deal with grab release to tipped dsmash? Sometimes it connects, other times it's normal dsmash. Is it being DI'd, or am I not quick enough?

earla

Smash Lord
Wouldn't tap jump on have the same benefits of claw? Also, what would be Marth's best stage vs Snake?
STAGES:
vs snake
BAN: HALBERD, FD
CP: BRINSTAR, SV, BF, RAINBOW CRUISE

personally, i use the side of my thumb on the c stick for aerials. i find it easier than the claw method.

Cyzs

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble with grab releasing to spiking MK. He always seems to jump out of it or I miss. Is there some sorta method or timing? Or do I have to buffer it or whatever?

earla

Smash Lord
use claw method, thumb for c stick y/x for jump. (mikehaze method)

54% will kill safely, which is high enough percent mk can't meteor cancel

3 frames leeway

good luck, if you're starting out though, theres more important aspects of your game to work on though such as spacing. read the marth guides.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Marth is fun but I haven't been researching him the way I should have until recently. I figured out he had a cool chain grab into spike I've been doing on my friends annoying Falco. I sat in practice mode for 6 hours practicing all the wierd variations on how to do it...like if you grab an opponent and have no space to run on the stage you have to double jump off stage and spike....there's a lot of practice required for it to get it down in all the weird different ways i noticed...but then when I switched the CPU to Snake...I realized Marths grab animation lasts LONGER...

my question is.....if there is a section in some guide or a dedicated thread to chain grabs...can you please direct me to it? Thanks ^.-

Top Bottom