• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

earla

Smash Lord
ok, lost to a snake in finals tonight.
what is marths best option to punish air dodges? i seem to miss so frequently.

if opponent has solid grenade game, what are some tips on approaching?

im taking way too much damage from tech chases. what are the safest options out of snake d-throw? what are the worst?

thoughts on marth vs gaw on delfino + frigate, i lost 2 games in a set cp'd on them.?

what are marths WORST STAGE + CHARACTER cp's where marth is severely disadvantaged. i will use mk in such situations.

C.J.

Smash Master
ok, lost to a snake in finals tonight.
what is marths best option to punish air dodges? i seem to miss so frequently.
If you're missing them in juggles, just fall with snake, wait for either the AD or Breverse then uair (uair hits Breverses because the horizontal hitbox is amazing) until you get used to their ADing/Brevesring/other landing habits. I like to just stay really close to the ground that way when I SHFFUair, it'll autocancel so if he ADs I can grab him, uthrow him and reset the situation.

Also, always, always WALK while juggling snake. Marth's walk is faster than Snake's air speed.

if opponent has solid grenade game, what are some tips on approaching?
Walk towards him. There's a bit of downtime when he plucks a nade. If you're coming at him, they'll either spotdodge or shield. Grab him, proceed to throw him offstage/into the air.

Perfectly spaced dtilt, even if it sets off the grenade iirc the explosion radius won't reach you.

Of course you can still approach with fair, but, if you don't space it perfectly, or, move forward with it, you can be utilted or a nade will blow you up.

Most importantly though, if you get hit with the nades themselves, it's not terrible. It's like 2%. Make sure you keep track of the times of the nades and don't get yourself blown up.

I'm taking way too much damage from tech chases. what are the safest options out of snake d-throw? what are the worst?
The SAFEST option is to immediately roll away. Unless he predicts it and boost grabs, he can't regrab you. He might be able to dash attack you at most. Of course that will get predictable though.
Marth's get up attack hits towards Snake first so it's impossible to react to (I think it's something like 9 frames) If a Snake is expecting it, he'll hold shield. Just lay there and let his shield shrink some. Once it has your get-up attack may shield poke. Just be careful of OOS dair.
Also, while risky it's really useful when he's at high percents, stand up normally and buffer a Dolphin Slash.

thoughts on marth vs gaw on delfino + frigate, i lost 2 games in a set cp'd on them.?
Just keep pressuring him on Frigate, camp the left side of the stage one the first transformation. Once it flips, get in the middle and **** him.
Delfino, no idea.

what are marths WORST STAGE + CHARACTER cp's where marth is severely disadvantaged. i will use mk in such situations.
vs DDD on Final Destination **** that MU.
MK on RC and maybe Frigate and Brinstar.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Dtilt is amazing to punish snakes airdodges if you can push him offstage with it

(meaning close enough to the ledge)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've seen close to a billion different lists of character grab ranges.

and all of them had marth's grab range being longer than snakes... at least :S

thought it was

1. dedede
2. zard
3. squirtle
4. Marth, Wario, something

but eh.....

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
its at mlg... you shouldn't even be asking something like that here (social thread!)
MLG doesn't record their matches, only players with cameras do.
So we don't know if its recorded or not.

Are there any situations where using the back side of Nair would be more benefical? Or are the situations far too uncommon to even consider using the back end of nair over the front end for spacing.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If you're trying to catch someone from under a platform, or just pressuring their shield, the back side is higher than the front side, so it would be better then.

If you're talking about RARing though, I doubt it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When someones hanging on the ledge:
Rush forward, off stage, start using nair,
space your body so your shoulders are in contact with the ledge (marth's nair has shoulder hit box [what am I kidding, like everything above his waist is a hitbox]), and the backwards hit will cover someone getting up from behind you.

backward hit of nair otherwise is a nice "mix up" to reposition yourself safely when platform pressuring. Why hit them twice with the front hits as they expect you to when you can cross over below them ?

stuff like that.

@Shun: No, the comment over an aerial meta knight made be think of a few characters that try to stay airborn a lot. MK, jiggs, wario, etc. I had been wondering if the higher end of Nair might allow you to cover those 45-60 degree angles (from horizontal) reasonably well against aerial attacks instead of trying to decay Fair all the time.

@Shaya: k, Mix-up, got it.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Not a specifically Marth-related question, but when trying to drop through platforms, a lot of the time I am not able to get through on the first try and I end up crouching a few times before dropping through. I attempt to go through platforms by holding down on the control stick. Am I doing it wrong?

Reizilla

You're probably not pushing it hard enough? Or maybe you're pushing downright/downleft?

Enzo

Smash Lord
Why is this chracter not banned yet? I mean cmon now has a 80-20 matchup with MK in hsi favor because of a new pummel chaingrab that has been found very recently ill post a a youtube vid later on showing it

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Marth has a plethora of great moves, so it really comes down to what the situation calls for. His hardest match-ups are MK and DDD I believe.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Id say Dash Attack is his best move and i think Lucas is Marths hardest Matchup.

Also Shaya i wanted to ask u something on MSN. Or il prolly PM u it 2moz if i remember cuz its late, gotta go 2 bed ya see.

Reizilla

Best move is forward air. Dancing blade is also really good, but it's not as good in every matchup the way fair is.

Hardest matchup would be MK or DDD. Most believe that MK is a bit harder though.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ok what is Dash attack actually good for? I know its a good grab release option on Meta, but what else honestly? Seems so fail of a move.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Ok what is Dash attack actually good for? I know its a good grab release option on Meta, but what else honestly? Seems so fail of a move.
It is terrible. I wouldn't even use it as a grab release follow-up.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dash attack is interesting to use from a bit of distance away from a ledge when predicting a ledge jump, ledge drop jump, or ledge get up.
:p

also tibbers, when was the last time you asked me something on msn?

tibs7

Smash Champion
I thought I asked you q's like the other night, unless I was blocked or something :(.

A few frame questions they were.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Dash attack is interesting to use from a bit of distance away from a ledge when predicting a ledge jump, ledge drop jump, or ledge get up.
:p
now u mention it i remember Kasper mentioning that Mr.R was using it vs him in winners bracket at BBI, in the Marth/Falco mu, hrrrmmm.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've only ever used it against Falco.
Probably good against someone else... maybe.

Oh yeah, those frame questions.
God ****it look it up yourself, they weren't exactly stuff I know off by heart.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Shaya brah, they aren't in the frame data section.
I need you're help pretty much to redo all of diddy's frame stuffs.

Top Bottom