• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Dancing blade just isn't as usable in tougher matchups like Snake, DDD and ZSS. Fair is good for pretty much anyone. Although that doesn't stop me from spamming DB in every matchup >:]

earla

Smash Lord
i read somewhere that someone named 'terry' may have recorded havok vs ally?

im very excited to watch the set. if someone could please ask terry to put them up that would be fantastic for all of us. i don't know who terry is thouhg or how to contact him haha.

Reizilla

I use it too. But I find it's a bit harder to abuse and always do better in those matchups when I use it a bit less than normal. To each his own though. They are both excellent moves.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
What is the better way to get up in the ledge to gimp someone like falco Side B
Olimar UP B, angle diddy up B aimming the ledge, using the invicibility frames to gimp them, ledge atack, roll or normal get up?

What's the best follow up if my opponent likes to double jump after my fthrow?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
if they like to double jump and your chasing them to high you could always let them fall a bit.

But getting them offstage in general will lead to a significantly easier gimp if they use their DJ

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Picking up marth for my secondary, cuz he's pretty awesome. Got a couple MU Q's. I looked at the match-up stuff already but I know a lot of the match-ups are outdated.

How does marth fare against IC and pikachu? Whats good/bad on them?

earla

Smash Lord
why is approaching generally considered the 'disadvantaged position' in the game'?

i read a post from neo outlining depending on the play styles of a snake player, the ratio changes. he mentions the matchup vs a snake that never approaches = 40 - 60 in snakes favour.

ive been losing to a snake that plays defensively and only grenade camps and punishes what i do accordingly. what are some tips with dealing with a player like that? is camping back an option?

cheers

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
DJ Fair is typically the best option if your opponent likes to DJ, because it will can push them offstage with no jump.

Never, ever, ever troll again in this thread. This is a place of sharing knowledge, not confusing new players, or having fun at their expense. You have social for that. This is the first and last warning.

Marth's Dash Attack is a very advanced move. I wouldn't recommend using it for now.

Marth's best move is probably his Fair, as it single handedly negates large amounts of the cast.

Dancing Blade is good in every MU, though you need to use it differently in different MUs.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
I most use dash atack when my oponent wiffs UP B sweetspot on de ledge, or a grab release on Meta knight

What is the better way to get up in the ledge to gimp someone like falco Side B, Olimar UP B, angle diddy up B aimming the ledge, using the invicibility frames to gimp them, ledge atack, roll or normal get up?

Someone have the frame data for this?

Rad

Smash Ace
I'm not using U-tilt at all except as a follow up from SHFFU-air at low percents / in juggles. I almost never use it as platform pressure, because I prefer Jab / F-tilt / SH Aerials mostly.

What are some ways I can mix U-tilt into my game, and what are some good ways to land the behind hitbox? I've heard about U-tilt OoS (like one frame slower than U-Smash OoS?). How does it stack up to Marth's other OoS options?

Thanks in advance.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I most use dash atack when my oponent wiffs UP B sweetspot on de ledge, or a grab release on Meta knight

What is the better way to get up in the ledge to gimp someone like falco Side B, Olimar UP B, angle diddy up B aimming the ledge, using the invicibility frames to gimp them, ledge atack, roll or normal get up?

Someone have the frame data for this?
i wish i could answer this question, but something i have come to notice recently is just HOW situational things are, so asking what the best way is is situational.

sorry :( i wanted to.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
i wish i could answer this question, but something i have come to notice recently is just HOW situational things are, so asking what the best way is is situational.

sorry :( i wanted to.
props for mike for wanting to.

Jeez..... I should probably make a thread for this but.........

Marth
+5 up B oos
+6 Grab
Jab +11 (OoSD)
Foward Tilt+14(OoSD)
UpTilt+13(OoSD)
Downtilt+14(OoSD)
Forward smash +17 (OoSD)
Upsmash +12(JC)
Downsmash +13 (OoSD)
Nair+11 (OoSJ)
Fair+9(OoSJ)
Bair +12 (OoSJ)
Uair+11(OoSJ)
dair+11(OoSJ)
DB+11(Oosd)
Shield breaker+26 (OoSd)

this is the amount of frames neccasary to perform said actions OoS. Utilt actually comes out slower than up Smash OoS because Up smash has JC properties.

Marths Fair OoS is good against opponents that are in front of you and most likely have decent height. Dair covers everything around you. Down smash has the best kill speed for someone in front of you assuming your Up B is stale(Since Upsmash doesn't have THAT good of range in front of marth down smash wins this)

His Up B OoS is his fastest option followed by grab. He receives invisible start up along with it.

dancing blade is pretty fast decent range ect.

You can use this data to found a move and see if you can punish it if your in range. HOWEVER please factor in reaction time so you don't look like an idiot

Reizilla

Chibi, you're basically wanting to know which option doesn't let them grab the ledge longest, right?

I honestly don't know though. I'm pretty sure it was rolling in Melee, but don't know if it's true now.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
Chibi, you're basically wanting to know which option doesn't let them grab the ledge longest, right?

I honestly don't know though. I'm pretty sure it was rolling in Melee, but don't know if it's true now.
Exactly.

Usually I use normal get up, but I really don't know what's the best option.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
So I've run into a lot of people who think that Brawl Marth's sword is shorter. It is, in fact, 2% shorter when I measured. This is completely negligible in gameplay and may have even been a small error in measurement.

The real reason he has less range is that he doesn't extend his sword fully towards the opponent, either bending his elbow, not leaning in enough, not holding his sword straight, etc. depending on the animation.

tl;dr -- Marth's sword is not shorter, he just doesn't extend properly in his animations.

I know this isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, but could this be added to a FAQ, or something?

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
Away from me, i only get dair camped online, and when I try to rush him I get tornadoed or daired

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
tl;dr -- Marth's sword is not shorter, he just doesn't extend properly in his animations.

I know this isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, but could this be added to a FAQ, or something?
Hey,

personally I knew this already, hence why shieldbreaker and downsmash are like our most "disjointed" moves.

but the fact still remains that his sword is shorter and he doesn't extend as far.
so against meta knight he loses in range and in disjoints for a lot of the moves.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
No, Snake is xD
well I play both online and offline a lot, so i don't mess up my timing offline, and online I play good opponents, then I get mindgames @_@

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I play alot of online too, just not with marth
its good if u dont have anyone close to you, so u wont get rusty obv

Honor

Smash Apprentice
ok i need swome help with MK (i know who doesn't)

i can't seem to get the grap release down i know i'm doing somthing wrong but i can't figure out what

so i could use some help.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
ok i need swome help with MK (i know who doesn't)

i can't seem to get the grap release down i know i'm doing somthing wrong but i can't figure out what

so i could use some help.
I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, but I'll just assume you aren't timing it right...
To get an idea when you are able to move, grab MK and just hold down shield. The time your shield comes up after the release is around the time where you should input the dash. From there it is just doing whatever move you want. Dash attack, DB, DS, Fair, and Dair should all be guaranteed. Practice makes (almost) perfect!

Top Bottom