• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
I don't think match up ratios are meant to be interpreted as win/lose ratios.
I agree, they just represent the matchup in tactics and specs between the characters, such as range of attacks versus the other character. I doubt anyone would play 100 matches and even if they did, I can play right now and win when the odds were against me. There are also factors such as stage choice.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I like to look at match-up ratios as effort requirements. The higher up the ratio is in your favor the less effort you need to put in to win the match. If the ratio is against you that means the opponent needs to put much less effort into the match than you do. You need to be thinking and outsmarting all the time in a 35-65 match, such as Olimar or King Dedede.

It makes sense if you think about it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Then what do they mean? Why use numbers? I never thought they didn't mean that. I remember Kage was talking about something in the Genesis thread or apex thread and he said that it isn't 60-40 games, its 60-40 sets. (It was about MK mu's, so probably in the MK ban thread.)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's like how Light said: a variance in effort needed to win.

Brawl has too many factors and variables to be able to accurately say "So and so should win 40 sets out of 100". You factor in differences in stage selections through out areas, personal stage preference, variables within those stages, differences in playing styles, all on top of the actual character data...it's not happening.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I still think it should be 65-35 (atleast) regardless of how I interpret it though. D3 beats snake 60-40, ( even though atomsk VERY rarely beats ally, but I suppose ally is on another level :) ) and d3 is obviously better at the match up due to his gimping powers and chain grab.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Nope.

4-6. I think the only person on the Snake board that said the MU was worse for Ike was lol Gheb, who said either 3-7 or 2-8. I can't remember which one.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I like to look at match-up ratios as effort requirements. The higher up the ratio is in your favor the less effort you need to put in to win the match. If the ratio is against you that means the opponent needs to put much less effort into the match than you do. You need to be thinking and outsmarting all the time in a 35-65 match, such as Olimar or King Dedede.

It makes sense if you think about it.
Exactly except its 80-20 and 70-30 :)

if you look at match up ratios this way it makes perfect sense that olimar is ike's worst match in both theory and practice simply because it takes a lot less effort to win even if they **** ike less than mk does.

I do agree that 60-40 is to low though snake out does us in everything.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Match-up ratios are silly because everyone disagrees on the exact numbers and they're not really even that important. Just because a match-up is 90-10 against you doesn't mean you can't win and just because it's 10-90 in your favor doesn't mean it'll be a cakewalk. They're raw interpretations of the characters' tools, and there are so many other factors in a real match that the ratios are almost completely trivial.

In other news, I've disappeared for a few days. I know you guys missed me. Time to go critique a video now.

:034:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Olimar is not 2-8 A_B.

Anything worse then 3-7 is flat out unwinnable in tournaments.

Ikes have beaten Olimars in tournaments. And like I've mentioned earlier, the Olimar board is starting to think it's like, 4-6.

Palpi

Smash Hero
niddo, personal match up experience means little to nothing coming from you, since you are no where near the top level of play. It is not 60-40. Ike's have not beaten snakes at the same level of their play in tournament. San is a top ike and he beats jesiah who is not a top snake. Kirk is a top ike and he beats akashi who is not a top snake(akashi may go even with kirk).

Most wins with ike over snake have been against snakes worse than them in skill, therefore the match up shouldn't be influenced by that.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Since im am the best ike this century, i say that olimar vs ike HAS to be 70-30. I truly dont see a way a top level ike crushing a top level olimar. its not gonna happen.

Xyro: the ike slayer

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't have experience winning. I have experience being slaughtered, and I am good at analyzing things. Being slaughtered means I can see exactly what they can use to beat Ike's X move. I honestly think people who win all of the time are the worse people to listen to for MU discussions. Sometimes, they can frankly "break" MUs as it is, which in turn messes up how they see the MU. Me being unable to win basically any MU means I can analyze things with a bit less bias. Instead of "I can never beat this guy, it must be X ratio", I can go "Well, this works against that, and that worked when he did this...it's probably around Y ratio". Besides, I do have Morningstar in my city, and he's like the second best Snake in Texas. I'm not clueless to what Snake can do. It's 4-6. Fact. End of discussion.

Ike has a lot of tools to deal with Snake. Seeing as we have rediscussed the MU, and thats what it came out to: it is what it is Palpi. Besides, you dropped Ike because you couldn't handle it, you ain't exactly the best source for MU opinions either.

IcyLight believes Ike vs Olimar is 4-6, and he's in the PRs for his area. He's not exactly a bad Olimar. From what I understand, while Olimar can keep Ike away well, once Ike lands that jab and gets Olimar into the air, things go south quickly. 35-65 is probably correct, but it gives you an idea of how some see the MU.

Palpi

Smash Hero
That is fine if that is what it came out to. But what it came to is wrong.

Nevermind, I suppose once I come to the realization that your opinion is fact, I will see the light of the true match up of 6-4.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, what it came out to is correct. If it wasn't correct, it would have been pointed out, or proven in the topics.

If it wasn't proven to be worse: it ain't worse.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You guys realize that you could be debating this forever and neither one of you would likely ever give ground? Lol, everyone has their own opinion on MU ratios, which is one of the reasons why I hate them, because everyone thinks their ratio is the correct one. Well if yours is correct why do a lot of other people say different? Even if the majority are on one side... why is there another side at all?

It's all so pointless. I work out match-ups between players rather than characters. :lick:

:034:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Niddo, I love your style of debate.

"Here's a shafty reason why I am right. Now that I've explained my reasoning, you are wrong. Fact. Discussion over. I win."

toopro

Palpi

Smash Hero
Isn't that the best tactic for debatE?!?!!?

melo gets +1 points for using shafty in a sentence.

*gazes into the stars* a feat i couldn't pull off for 17 years

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
LOL, I see high school greenhorn debaters try that stunt every single time I judge rounds. I find it very amusing.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Niddo, I love your style of debate.

"Here's a shafty reason why I am right. Now that I've explained my reasoning, you are wrong. Fact. Discussion over. I win."

toopro
Works for most SBR members, I don't see why it can't work here. :laugh:

And seriously: If you thought it was worse, you should have brought it up during the rediscussion. This isn't a MU topic. And frankly, if the majority of both boards, with all sorts of various levels in skill, believe that number is correct: it's probably correct for the current metagame.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I read Kimchi's post on the thing. For one, you thought dacit would be useful? lulz

All of those videos in the thread (war room, snake write up) bare no significance.

*open of science text book* Snake beats ike 65-35.

There you have it gentlemen.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Err, that was kinda rhetorical. I guess they must play together a bit, I wouldn't be able to predict something like that lol.

Note to self, use more pivot grabs

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You misread my DACIT comment. It's to eliminate one of Snake's options, not to be actually used. Snake takes a risk in leaving an uncooked grenade on the ground for what ever reason. It's one more thing he can't use against Ike.

Videos never mean much in MUs, why did you bring them up?

Again: you had your chance. Until we rediscuss the MU: Ike vs Snake is officially 4:6, from the opinion of both boards.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am not trying to get it changed, but just because it says that in a thread, doesn't mean it is correct.

edit; w/e - it doesn't even matter considering I don't use snake or ike lawl.

If I feel I am right, than that is good enough for me

I will leave this discussion with 1 comment.

The MU is getting skewed because great ikes are playing good snakes and sharing their knowledge as if they are on the same skill level or near the same level in skill, which is false and it is giving people a false perception of the match up.

DONE!!!!! (WIPE ME, MELO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom