• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, it can help a fair bit. It changes it by .5 IMO. At least for Diddy. The rest, not so much.

EDIT: It's like Glidetossing, but across 3/4 of FD. Only Ike, Link, Wolf, and MK can DACIT well.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What makes you think its so useful? Maybe your seeing something I'm not....
I've used it successfully against two Diddy's including Hylian when he randomly used Diddy against me in FS5. I could be bias because of this. >_>

1) It disrupts Banana control. Big part of Diddy's game = banana control. Disrupting it = good obviously.

2) Nobody expects it. Obviously, don't use it every time you grab a banana, but how many people expect Ike to go flying across the stage at them? Not many.

3) Combos. Banana starts them. I believe if timed perfectly it could combo into Fsmash even. That's ALWAYS a plus. Or even something as simple as DACIT -> Jab -> Turn around grab -> Bthrow off the stage to set up for the edgeguard. Or to set up the infinity against the wall at PS1.

4) Getting away quickly. If you have to, and you have a banana, you can use this.

Hence me thinking it helps by .5

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wanted to ask here before I made myself look like an idiot and made another thread.

Has a use been found for Aether besides recovery?

P.S. if any of you care, I'm starting to enjoy coming back to Ike. Since he has no ATs, I can just pick him up and play. The results aren't always great, but it's a nice break from Sonic every now and then, and since Sonic is all breaking down the opponent to the core, the same can be applied with Ike and have similar results.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
1) It disrupts Banana control. Big part of Diddy's game = banana control. Disrupting it = good obviously.
If you have a banana, Diddy doesn't have banana control to begin with. Well, not full control anyway.

2) Nobody expects it. Obviously, don't use it every time you grab a banana, but how many people expect Ike to go flying across the stage at them? Not many.
Well anyone who is aware of it should think of it as a possibility. I still don't think it's that great just because if Diddy has another banana in hand, you really don't want to be on the ground that long.

3) Combos. Banana starts them. I believe if timed perfectly it could combo into Fsmash even. That's ALWAYS a plus. Or even something as simple as DACIT -> Jab -> Turn around grab -> Bthrow off the stage to set up for the edgeguard. Or to set up the infinity against the wall at PS1.
I don't think it could combo into an fsmash. I would have to test it, but I can't imagine not being able to buffer a roll away before you got that slow smash out.

4) Getting away quickly. If you have to, and you have a banana, you can use this.
Maybe.

I just don't think that it's useful enough to sway the match-up that much. I don't think the match-up is that bad for Ike to begin with, though.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
@Kinzer: Besides pesdo combos? No. Too easy to DI out of sadly. Image how good of a damage racker it would be if you couldn't SDI out of it. :O

@Melo: I think banana -> Fsmash can combo, it's just very difficult timing/spacing. You have to be just the right distance so that your fsmash hits RIGHT as the banana hits basically. Or if not Fsmash, Usmash should work, longer lasting hitbox.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I use Aether a lot on Battlefield as a damage racking move when the opponent is above me in just the right place (and when I can land either on a platform or on the bottom level).

I've also found that some opponents fall into the habit of jumping over you after you complete a jab combo close(ish) to the edge. If your opponent is one such person, and you can read it, use Aether. Sometimes this will give you a tech read opportunity (if the final hit on the ground doesn't connect).
EDIT: ^Very similar to 3:58 here.^

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I use Aether a lot on Battlefield as a damage racking move when the opponent is above me in just the right place (and when I can land either on a platform or on the bottom level).

I've also found that some opponents fall into the habit of jumping over you after you complete a jab combo close(ish) to the edge. If your opponent is one such person, and you can read it, use Aether. Sometimes this will give you a tech read opportunity (if the final hit on the ground doesn't connect).
lol my combo vid
Post that tip in the thread about tips on reading =p

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Pff, that aether used for racking up damage thing, you got that from me. That's my signature move. Ok not really, but I have a habit of gambling with that move.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
@Kinzer: Besides pesdo combos? No. Too easy to DI out of sadly. Image how good of a damage racker it would be if you couldn't SDI out of it. :O
Is that using Aether as a direct attack?

I didn't even know Aether could be easily DI'd out of. But I was playing on Battlefield and I found it to be a nice "tech-chase" (for lack of better term). I know there are still probably bad places/characters to use it on, but I like taking risks... that's what Sonic's whole game is revolve around anyway.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol my combo vid
\
you need a better title lol:p
i can come up with like 100 titles with a sexy name like RED X out of the bat

(no homo lmao)

and aether is pretty easy to DI out of for most characters ;/
that's why dthrow into aether isn't so popular anymore

i do like to dthrow ,then chase them with an uair making them jump,then charging QD lol
works only on FD tho T-T

-RedX-

Smash Lord
you need a better title lol:p
i can come up with like 100 titles with a sexy name like RED X out of the bat

(no homo lmao)

and aether is pretty easy to DI out of for most characters ;/
that's why dthrow into aether isn't so popular anymore

i do like to dthrow ,then chase them with an uair making them jump,then charging QD lol
works only on FD tho T-T
The title is suppose to be not so serious but right on the dot(kinda lol)

I might steal that tip....

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I just DI'd out of Ikefiend's aether then u-air -> nair-> shuttle loop :D 33% 3 stock MUIAHAHHAHAHA
lmao....quit life=.=

and you cant control the ****?LOL

good stuff though >.>
i woulda been laughing too LOL

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am not laughing. I just played her in like 4 matches using Samus, ike, then like.. another random low tier. Then I am gonna use MK, then I blanked out and when I regained composure, it was a terrible sight.

It is my evil sorcerer's laugh >=]

I use wifi for 1 thing and 1 thing only. DI practice. I usually don't try to practice my DI in serious friendlies, and on Wifi it isn't really serious so I hope this practice will improve my REAL game.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i lost against that link 2-1

first game was mine
second game was hella close

third game i had a big lead,and then he caught up somehow-.-

then like the idiot i am,i start getting SUPER aggressive and he was grabbing me everytime i approached
like literally everytime

ugh,so disappointed in myself=.=
this always happens when im taken to the last set,always >.>
*cuts self* lol

oh well,i guess..=/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
i lost against that link 2-1

first game was mine
second game was hella close

third game i had a big lead,and then he caught up somehow-.-

then like the idiot i am,i start getting SUPER aggressive and he was grabbing me everytime i approached
like literally everytime

ugh,so disappointed in myself=.=
this always happens when im taken to the last set,always >.>
*cuts self* lol

oh well,i guess..=/
Penta not reading the opponent...oh ****!

Seriously though, if you had known what he was doing, you do realize you could have approached with an empty jump, spot dodged his grab and F-smashed him? That would make him think twice >_>.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i just hate how i get when i start to panick
it happens more if i'm taken to the last game
my approaches were garbage >.>

and yea,i sorta did assume the win
because of that lead on the third game..lol

but arg, i'm still in this i guess=.=

@ bored lol....yea those sort of ideas popped into my head after i lost =/
i've failed you :(

oh well,i know for next time
i'm pretty sure ima face this guy again in the next 2 rounds
if i win of course :p

Palpi

Smash Hero
When I use samus and I get off the stage against Melo's Ness I literally can't do anything.

It happens against his Sheik as Ike sometimes too. if it is on smashville or FD. Everything I do gets punished. :(

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
So, I went to the first advertised Balanced Brawl tourney.
There were 8 pools of 9 people each.
I was the recorder/reporter/leader for my pool and I got 2nd in my pool with a record of 14-2. (I was a Bair away from stealing it from Sethlon, who was 15-1... losing only to me (thanks Delfino and ALMOST thanks Castle Siege). Third place was Thinkaman, the man who made Balanced Brawl-- he went 13-3.. losing only to Seth and me. Lol.)

Nothing really special happened apart from my matches with them in pools and then the bracket. So, of 72 entrants, the bracket had 24. I was second seed and did not get a bye. I beat a Wolf/Zelda and then got Foursaken in my next match. I guess he deemed his main (D3) useless without the CG, because he used MK. He won first match on last stock because I tried abusing Ike's awesome recovery TOO much (and put myself in a position to die an all-too-familiar death). That was on Wifi training room.)
He banned the ship and I chose Shadow Moses with the intent of teching, turtling, and killing vertically.
It worked for a while. And then he was able to turn the turtle around on me after he gained the lead late in the match. It was close, but I lost to a shuttle loop past a broken wall and a failed tech on the ground. Slid just a few feet to my death.

The bracket was single elimination because we were extremely short on time.

---------------------------
I ended up 9th of 72 in the first large Balanced Brawl tourney.
Why do I always get 9th? >=\
---------------------------

I liked the way they set up the tourney. Each person was given a number instead of a name, except for those on Smashboards who decided to pay in (I say "decided" because the pay-in couldn't be done on UTD campus-- gambling rules..). Made the pools nice and random after the good players were spread among them.

In other news, I'm dumb.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I won my second match against Smash G 0 D. Good God, his Samus was scary. I survived on his CP though, which was Japes XD.
:o

Good job, you beat the one character who has an advantage against Ike in the tournament! :bee:

Go get some bacon flavored beer!

And I can't blame you Brett. Flying Ike must be addicting. lol.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Brett, what characters were in the top 15-ish? I'm curious to see how much variety there is in BBrawl.
Kim, stop hacking. Ike doesn't win on Japes =/

Palpi

Smash Hero
Ryko handles the samus match-up fairly well. You just have take advantage of samus's inability to get back to the stage safely... and jab alot.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I magically got my Wii online.
And I played Swoops.
And I learned that Swoops is VERY GOOD with Ganondorf.

I took it 2-1. Last stock, last hit.
So, none of the Ikes have been eliminated. =]

(I'm glad Swoops was a cool enough guy to get a warm up with computers in. I was used to OFFLINE... BALANCED Brawl. I probably would have lost otherwise.)

EDIT: What is happening with Kirk and San?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
How many times did you get hit by backwards falling offstage u-airs?

They are soooo deadly with ganon? :)
Hmm. I don't remember. Once or twice? He nearly ended the set with one, but I mixed up my recovery because I saw it coming. I ended up hogging the edge. We were both within kill range at that point. He was around 130-140 and I was at 113, I think. It scared the crap outta me, to be honest. Hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom