• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

prisonchild

Smash Ace
the only reason i could see tourney matches being more fun is because of the added pressure by what's at stake, and with a competitive community this small i don't see there being much at stake...

never been in a tourney or played a mm but i must say 12 character battles are amazing <3

B Link

Smash Lord
^ I agree.

Obviously the Lakers and the Heat can play each other on any day and that would be fun, but seeing them get to the Finals and play each other for a title adds some spice to it.

And even when I play small 16 man tournies I still feel like there's a lot at stake ROFL. I hate getting 2nd at anything I legitimately try at.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^But professional basketball has way more at stake AND you're talking about spectating, not from the playing perspective. IDK which one the basketball players themselves would find more fun but I wouldn't be surprised if it's friendlies, even though spectators of course like tournament more.

I actually agree with malva. Except I would put 12 char battles over friendlies. But yeah it's personal opinion blahblah

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean obviously I'm gonna be playing friendlies 25 hours a day and enjoying the **** out of myself

but I'm looking forward to hard tight tourney matches EVEN MORE if that's possible

I guarantee you that the truly great competitors in basketball will hold up their Finals victories up as the best moments of their lives

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I'm looking forward to the tournament to test my own resolve under pressure, and because watching the HYPE matches at the end with a giant group of screaming spectators makes you feel like you're a part of something rare that we all share a passion for.

But as great as all that is, the friendlies mean so much more to me- getting to know other smashers, enjoying the game, and learning from other players/seeing unique styles of play- that's what it's about

:phone:

B Link

Smash Lord
I actually agree with malva. Except I would put 12 char battles over friendlies. But yeah it's personal opinion blahblah
We can still share thoughts and stuff even if we're not trying to convince each other of anything.

The Star King said:
^But professional basketball has way more at stake AND you're talking about spectating, not from the playing perspective. IDK which one the basketball players themselves would find more fun but I wouldn't be surprised if it's friendlies, even though spectators of course like tournament more.
Ok, you got me there. Let's talk specifically about player perspective and not audience perspective.

Friendlies aren't that much fun to me. I play lots of friendlies and then I get bored after a while. The people I play with also seem to get bored after a while, so we do things to up the ante: put some money at stake, or make a bracket so that afterwards players are ranked (what's at stake here is your rank position).

These things provide an extra thrill (and it doesn't have to be just a tourney I guess, but there has to be something important at stake) that cannot be recreated by mere friendlies or even serious friendlies. And I find that thrill (which exists in high level tourney matches, MM matches etc.) more fun than friendlies (where you don't have as much to lose). I guess that's the gambler/risk-taker in me speaking.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I like the game better when there's gambling involved, yeah. But it's not that I like the gambling, it's that I like the tension, the hype, the importance that gambling attaches and the way that affects gameplay and stuff.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
tournament are great to go to so that you can meet and play alot of players. I find that I do better in tournaments when I dont really care about how well I need to play or bah bah but when I play just for fun I find that I play much better :)

Battlecow

Play to Win
i feel like loving tourney play conflicts with your hatred of camping :troll:
most people I play in tourney will probably agree to DL only (boom, sheer, probably kefit, nintendude, everyone else who thinks hyrule should be banned....) I'm pretty confident that no one can camp me on DL; I mean, there'll probably be some more defensive play than you would see in friendlies but anyone who never approaches on DL is at a huge disadvantage

For those who CP me to hyrule, there'll be a couple of ****ty 12-minute matches but I'll win if we're close in skill because I camp harder than anyone.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i too can accommodate someone on my couch. i live a five minute walk from the student center.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
guys. If you have people that live nearby and can house please LMK. We have many OOC people coming and helping them with housing would be amazing. I know they do not play 64 but helping a fellow smasher would mean a LOT to me.

Olikus

Smash Champion
on the history page on apex homewebsite. it should stahnd something little about 64 last year. Since its probably the biggest gathering of proffesional 64 players of all time, and it was a kick *** event.

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
heyyy guys i got some big news i was just talking with boom i thinked all this time that i needed around 1.5k-2k to go to apex he told me that was a lot lol so i consulted the plane tickets from mexico and i saw it at 460 usd so right now theres a big big big big chance to attend to apex 80% i only need to fix the travel problems, im gonna do that this weekend, about the housing can u guys repeat it if thats the case or tell me whats going on with that or some cheap hotels or what??? :D hori mini pad is allowed right cuz theres no point if i cant use it

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
oh i might need one thing

for the finals on stream i need commentators.

who is well spoken, knows about the game, and can dress well :)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
well I will be honest

I do not want people that curse.

I want people that make me think PROFESSIONAL

aka I want clips

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I would love to commentate the game, that is if I don't make it far enough for my games to be streamed.

A man can dream...

I'll put up some commentary videos by Sunday for an audition.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Sensei and dogysamich did a good job last time.

Parallax and megavolt are well spoken.

Nintendude very knowledgeable and well spoken, but I don't know what he'd sound like on commentary.

Battlecow

Play to Win
well I will be honest

I do not want people that curse.

I want people that make me think PROFESSIONAL

aka I want clips
Oh man, commentating 64 GF's is like my lifelong dream

I'll see what I can do clipwise. When do you want those by?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'd rage too if I had to play vs Killer DI on console.

Is it just me or does Killer also roll out of shield stun that nobody else can? I swear his stupid keyboard allows him to escape shield stun faster than he should too...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Shut up keyboard noob.

If keyboard can alter DI physics why is it unthinkable it could alter other aspects of gameplay?

No wait you're right Noob King, the fact that he's the only one who consistently gets out of my shield breaks has nothing to do with his lame keyboard.

:urg:

The Star King

Smash Hero
It does not alter DI physics. It alters how directions are inputted. You cannot alter game mechanics through your input method.

Can't tell if trolling...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Keyboard DI is not achievable on console. How is that not changing the physics of the game?

If keyboard allows for inputs that aren't possible on console, that's changing the physics of the game.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^wut? No. The game physics allows X number of DI inputs per hit. Keyboard allows you to get closer to using all X possible inputs. Physics is the same. And if you say physics refers to the actually implementation, not the theoretical max, then we are just arguing about semantics.

Doesn't matter, keyboard is cheap and stupid and not allowed at Apex because I said so and star king said I'm right about everything.

kys

Smash Ace
Amen Clubba.

For commentary, someone give Wobbles a crash course on 64 and pair him up with Battlecow. Seriously.

I don't know how much they're streaming, but isn't it possible that Sensei's matches would get in the way of commentating? Just a thought.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Then yes were arguing semantics.

When someone says keyboard is gay because it alters the physics of the game, we all understand what they're saying. You guys just take **** too literally.

No matter how you say it, doing something with keyboard that's not achievable on console = altering game play.

I don't see why it's inconceivable that Killer's keyboard method might allows him to input rolls on the first frame possible after shield stun is gone, where consistently reacting that fast with controller isn't possible.

Just my guess as to how he does it. But I clearly haven't taken the "ssb64 physics" crash course like you guys have. Either way keyboard is gay.

Top Bottom