• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

delirium

Smash Rookie
I had security but I even then I guess it wasn't enough...sighs...
With all due respect, I didn't see anyone I could identify as security the entire weekend. Nobody was keeping the stream areas clear (there were people who weren't even wearing passes in the main stage's stream area), nobody was keeping aisles clear, nobody was keeping an eye on the huge obvious stack of equipment barely blocked off by a couple line barriers and located conveniently next to a freely open fire exit. I did the best I could, when I could, but for the most part nobody is going to listen to some random dude with a camera.

Even I had some rechargable batteries and a charger stolen, and my stuff was stashed nicely under the piano in the corner. While I'm not so worried about $20 of equipment, it means that someone went through my bag, and someone a little more malicious could have walked away with a whole lot more than just batteries.

Tesh

Smash Hero
^the problem with grassroots tournaments.

This all seems so easily fixed if you just have a room that locks. it doesnt take much (if any) security to keep a door locked and the few people you can trust would have a key. There is no way you can afford the amount of security you need to leave stuff lying around.

Another problem with volunteers from the community is that they will get distracted. I can guarantee you if I had volunteered for security I would not have been doing my job during finals on day 1 and 3. I think you will really run into that problem with any smasher with enough dedication to volunteer for you.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well rooms had locks. Sadly I was running around so much in couldn't keep on top of it. I think if I can afford next year I'd get a head of security rather then rely on people ad volunteer...aka hire my friends that can do that.

Btw I do have ur batteries delirium.

I hope u guys had fun...I tried as hard as I could to make the experience memorable. I felt like people liked it much more then last year

Zinnamon

Smash Cadet
Well rooms had locks. Sadly I was running around so much in couldn't keep on top of it. I think if I can afford next year I'd get a head of security rather then rely on people ad volunteer...aka hire my friends that can do that.

I hope u guys had fun...I tried as hard as I could to make the experience memorable. I felt like people liked it much more then last year
Although I couldn't get there, I watched almost the entire stream. So personaly, thank you and all of you.
I am sure that, like me, many people would love to express their gratitude by donating to counter the theft loss. Balancing some crime with love( and perhaps send paypal donations with hearts and rainbows as a note.)
I don't have the guts nor the recognition within the community to start a donation thread, but I hope someone reads this, talks to alex, and starts a donation drive.

It's not just about helping get apex 2014, it's about thanking you all for apex 2013 <3 .

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone know (even if it's yourself lol) who took my phone charger from my stream station during the Brawl Top 8 at Apex? A friend was at my station and someone came and asked him about it thinking it was his so it was just a misunderstanding. I'm not upset, besides if someone wanted to steal something, they stole a $20 item compared to the thousands of dollars of other equipment lol. It's just that it was definitely my phone charger, and I really liked it and would love to have it back. Hell, I'll give you a differ micro USB phone charger in exchange lol. It's a black Samsung micro USB phone charger, where the plug is a tiny square/cube deal. Further more, there are two labels near the plug that goes into the phone that are kind of twisted/warped to prove it's mine.

Samovar

Smash Rookie
This is so sad, this was the most awesome tournament I've ever seen, it's a shame it ended like that...

I wish people had more respect...

delirium

Smash Rookie
Well, now I feel like an ***. Not sure how I missed them. Thank you.

I do agree with hiring "real" security, though. It's a shame, but all it takes is a few people out of a thousand to ruin things.

If there's anything I can do to help the situation, let me know.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
If anybody has accidentally acquired a "Genius Gaming", "GTZ", or "Game Underground" nintendo wii + brawl, and (x1 other) nintendo gamecube system with marked copies of melee in them, I will not be upset or anything, but I need them shipped back I would really appreciate it and you can PM me for details.

All of the equipment Genius Gaming (and Game Underground) bought to the event is sku logged and inventoried in case of this. If you think you may have accidentally taken one of these items I ask PLEASE let me know so I can locate some of the missing equipment. I can cross reference the skus to the list I possess, and we can go from there. I am not here to point fingers or anything, but if anybody (staff or player/sponsor) has any information, now is definitely the time to let me know. Again, I appreciate your cooperation.

- GTZ

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Someone took my phone charger as well. During Top 8 I put my phone on the charger (which was right behind my chair) and they unplugged the phone, took the charger, and put my phone on the floor. Same type of charger as well.

Results thread?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
compilining it all now.

Overall...thank you guys for giving me a chance. I hope we can do this again!

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
NO way in hell will the smash community let apex die after THE BEST smash tourney in THE WORLD EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. We gotchu Alex Strife!!

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
We're people without their badge not supposed to be in the venue I lost mine Friday night and found it when I got home noone said anything to me all weekend, security being only volunteers is a bad idea especially if your having theft problems, it's not hard to come to the thought if I become security I can get away with so much more, you really need to know the people or find professionals

:phone:
I really agree with this. I'm going to make sure if 2014 happens that we start early on acquiring some type of real security to manage the floor. The volunteers I had on security were supposed to do spot checks for badges but again, it becomes unreliable if the person isn't 100% full dedicated to it. It's already in the queue of things to improve on.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I did a lot worse than I wanted to, in both singles and doubles, and this was still the best tournament I've ever been to. Keep it up Alex.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
In addition to the security thing, there were times that I saw the badges, sleeves, and lanyards just sitting at the table with no one watching them. I'm sure there were some people that got in that shouldn't have.

All in all, it was a great tourney Alex. This was my first Apex, and I will definitely come back if it's held next year!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hiring a head of security is a great idea. Also more walkie-talkies would help disperse everyone better and let them know where they need to be at all times :)

Also, there were a lot of times I wasn't sure where I should be or what to do, and couldn't find people to ask (this is a super busy tournament after all and nobody wants to bother the TOs) and most of the time was without a walkie-talkie. I noticed that other people at the reg desk weren't doing badge checks so I didn't know if they were friends, or recognized people, or what, so a lot of the time I didn't either. Most of what I ended up doing was keeping an eye on the fire door and shooing people away from it when I was in the area.

There's so much for Alex Strife and his team to have to remember and organize, it's just nuts, a head of security would be a really great idea to take a load off you guys mentally. I've got a lot of good experience with scheduling and recruiting, and have some ideas based on how things went this year, and next year I'd offer to be head of security or at least help with volunteer organization, if you guys want. It's a whole year away though, just offering!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@pidge: If it's for security purposes, I'm sure that bothering them is the best thing you could do. :applejack:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
This is true, but finding them is another story. Most of the time I try to look for something that doesn't look like it's being done and stick to that, but there was disconnect among security regardless.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
In addition to the security thing, there were times that I saw the badges, sleeves, and lanyards just sitting at the table with no one watching them. I'm sure there were some people that got in that shouldn't have.

All in all, it was a great tourney Alex. This was my first Apex, and I will definitely come back if it's held next year!

That's really disappointing to know that. It's really hard to have eyes in the back of my head and I was always checking on if people were out in the front with things. Apparently that wasn't the case... also if you see those things in the future be sure to tell one of the staff members in charge next time that way the problem can be fixed immediately.

Next year I believe I'm going to invest in brightly colored and identifiable staff shirts so it's easier on everyone for finding others.

Though, every tournament we run is a learning experience as well. We also meet a lot of great people who step up and show they can be really reliable when need be. So I do have a good idea of someone who can really be great on security (as secondary to some professionals we can hopefully get on board).

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
thanks for all the help guys!

omg i have been sad, upset , crying over alot of things.

Just gonna say this. I am trying to get this all resolved but losing a sponsor cause of this nonsense is kinda bs. I only wish it was returned.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Awesome tourney, I'll try to stay longer next time. Didn't get a chance to talk with Keitaro or Alex a lot.

:059:

M@v

Subarashii!
When I start my full time job in a few months I can definitely pitch in some $$$ if there's a fund that happens.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not one for donating to things like this, but I'd pitch in too just as a spectator. You've done a great job, its sad that there is nothing that can be done about the sponsor though.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Sorry for being so busy. I am handling checks/payments now and will be sending info to all the winners. Once that is done I handle venue and equipment repalcements/etc

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Okay good was about to ask about money lol.

I have a lot to say(will def be doin hardcore shoutouts this time lol), but I also wanna say that this tourney is easily one of my favorites ever....maybe even my favorite.

USA is too good. Marth is too good. My beard is not bad.

I'll take it for America next time guys. <333333

Thanks to all who supported me!!! =D

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
dont worry I have it :D Just waiting for ALL the Tio files so I can just send things out. Also for doubles we had more ppl PAY for doubles then enter so doubles get possibly more money ( have to double check though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom