• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX 2010 - Event Done | Partial Results up Side events will be posted ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah, too hyped for this thing : )

Don't tell me you aren't training like mad for this. Represent Canada.
Well once a week I play a considerable amount on one day ya. =P I still work fulltime.. and i never owned melee ever. lol. So it's a bit hard to practice by myself.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
For bracket, it's double elim, so when you win you advance further and are not totally eliminated until you lose twice.

For pools, its round robin so everyone just plays everyone and then usually top 2-4 with the best records will advance to the next round.

Pools are more of a seeding job for brackets.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
What's the difference between brackets and pools?

(I apologize if my questions is stupid, I'm a noob.)
For bracket, it's double elim, so when you win you advance further and are not totally eliminated until you lose twice.

For pools, its round robin so everyone just plays everyone and then usually top 2-4 with the best records will advance to the next round.

Pools are more of a seeding job for brackets.
Tope explained it perfectly. But in case that didn't make sense:

Pools are usually around 6 people. Everyone plays everyone and the top 2-4 people advance to either the next pool or the bracket.

Pools are used to make the bracket smaller and it seeds people (ranks them) to make it more fair. The top placers won't play eachother right away, etc.

Brackets are double elimination. You keep advancing until you lose twice, then you're out of the tourney.

EDIT:
Well once a week I play a considerable amount on one day ya. =P I still work fulltime.. and i never owned melee ever. lol. So it's a bit hard to practice by myself.
A warrior that trains both mentally and physically.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that when you're not playing you're thinking of match ups, mindgames, strategy, and how fun it is right?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I need a teammate for this. I'm flying from Washington :)

Peach is an extremely strong doubles partner. Her primary issue in singles is killing, which is completely eliminated by a partner, and her ability to wall opponents off, edgeguard, rack damage fast, and pressure really shines in doubles. She also can't be gimped easily; even IF she gets perfectly edgeguarded or spiked, she can stall her death with float and umbrella to be saved by a teammate (umbrella will detonate Snake's grenades, for example).

MK, Snake, Wario, or G&W, preferred, but I'm open for interesting ideas :)

I've taken top four in a major regional with Peach+Snake (TourneyPlay 4, me and Superboom from Canada), losing only to Mew2King + DEHF and the second place team, and we took out M2K in a match xD

And I've taken first or second every time I've teamed with a ranked MK anywhere in the top fifteen in Washington.

I thought I was teaming with Inui but we haven't talked about it for eight months and it looks like he's got other plans now xD

LLDL

Smash Hero
What's the difference between brackets and pools?

(I apologize if my questions is stupid, I'm a noob.)
It's not a dumb question, you are new so it's expected that you need to learn how tournaments work. Tope and Twina A explained for you, but if you want it in the simplest to understand terms possible, then here:

A pool is a group of players. A normal amount of people in one pool might be around 5-6 people for a big tournament like this. In your pool, you have to play all of the other people in your pool. Based on your number of wins in the pool, you are either knocked out of the pool (knocked out of the tournament) or you advance to your next pool. In your next round pool, the winners from last round of another pool will be in there. You have to be one of the top two people in that pool to advance to the bracket. The reason for doing this is to limit the number of people that go into the bracket, and also make seeding (skill placement) more fair for the top players so that they don't have to face a fellow top pro in the first round. The picture below is an example of a pool

The bracket as far as you are concerned, is the actual tournament. You play someone, and if you win, you advance to your next opponent. If you lose, you go to the losers side of the bracket. If you lose in the loser's bracket, you are out of the tournament. But if you win in the losers bracket, there is still a possibility that you can will all your matches in the losers bracket and still advance through the tournament. In the picture below, the left side is the losers bracket and the right side is winners bracket. Where you see the letters are where you go to if you lose.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Shiz and his brothers might still becoming, but it's not looking likely.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
A friend of mine really wants to come, but has work on that Friday and cannot call out. He only wants to be in the singles tournament, which does not seem to be going on on that Friday. Would he be able to skip that Friday, only come Saturday and Sunday and not be disqualified? If anyone knows, it'd be greatly appreciated.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sorry guys--I'm not sure whether if anyone cares or not, but I definitely will not be attending this touranment.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Seems like the hype for this is so dead so I concluded that:

Eff this, Mew2King is up for grabs.

Me and Holy will **** this tournament like true Canadian brothers, this is not a tournament to ally with americans, **** YOU ALL /trashtalk, CANADA FOR THE ****EN WINNNNNNN AHHHHHHHH.

Yeah we got dis'.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Seems like the hype for this is so dead so I concluded that:

Eff this, Mew2King is up for grabs.

Me and Holy will **** this tournament like true Canadian brothers, this is not a tournament to ally with americans, **** YOU ALL /trashtalk, CANADA FOR THE ****EN WINNNNNNN AHHHHHHHH.

Yeah we got dis'.

m2k want to team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom