• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcer: Male or Female?

Yota

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind if the menu announcer were separate from the battle commentator. I wouldn't want play-by-play narration durring matches either, just comments. Personalized commentating would have to be toggleable also. I could see it becoming annoying after a while.

Menu announcers:
- Mr. Melee (The original guy!)
- Original Male
- Original Female w/English Accent
- Reggie Fils-Aime or Sotaru Iwata :laugh:

Battle Commentators
:
- Mr. Melee (Only gives basic commentary.)
- Original Male
- Original Female w/English Accent
- Trivial (and slightly steriotyped) Man w/Japanese Accent
- The guy from DDR:MM, or SSX Tricky

Basic Commentary:
- Player Defeated
- Certain Items Appearing (Such as Heart Containers, and Smash Emblems)
Personal Commentary:
- Very High Damage Gained
- Caught In a Huge Attack (Such as a Super Attack or Legendary Pokemon)
- Barely Completing a Difficult Recovery
- Barely Missing a Recovery
- Stale Moves
- Relatively Long Time Since Death
- Relatively Long Match
- Fallen Asleep/Stunned
+ More that I am too tired to bother thinking about at the moment.

When a player is selected, I'd say have the menu announce the name, followed by the character making a sound or phrase (as they did in MK64), such as...
Announcer: Mario!
Mario: Lets-a go!

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
Oh, so no intermediators? You wouldn't want anyone going through the match like "Oh, Mario was just Owned by Link's spinning sword attack, but wait...here's bowser behind Link and OH MAN! KOOPA CLAW GRAB! CHOMP CHOMP, that's got to hurt. Bowser needs to be careful though, Fox is at a distance racking up the percentage with that laswer of his" et cetera

lol :p it'd get annoying

Yota

Smash Apprentice
Not only that, but they could never fit the hours of pre-recorded dialog in the game. Nor would the voice actor have the patience to do it all. *shivers thinking about it*

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
I guess what I was saying was a little too detailed. PErhaps something as simple as how they do it in sports games.

Karura Karami

Smash Journeyman
phanna said:
Haha women and smash. ha, ha, ha.
HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!! >___> >[!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that the current announcer is absolutely perfect?
I think like him, the current announcer is fine. About female voices, naah, it will not be the same. The character's voices... what happens when Samus ... ?

Samus: Samus... <---naaah x__X!!

Bowser: Gya gyaaaaaa!!

Yoshi: Yoshiii!!^__^ <--that can be a cute one

Kirby: Yay!!

Mario: Wu-ju!!/Maaario..!!

Roy: Roy...

^ naaaaaah x__X!!

Nor female voice, nor other man, nor characters voice.. Like I said, I agree with Oro, the current announcer is good and it will be weird if he isnt the one who tell us the names, the "Meleeeeeeee!!" thing, etc

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Link is also on the list of not having a voice.. he was designed not to speak and only make 'HIYAAAAA' sonuds

JFox

Smash Hero
Call me a sexist, but I think if the announcer were female, I would be extremely disappointed and probably would turn the sound off. The announcer should definitely stay a male.

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
These would all be nice, albeit impossible, options.

If there were a female announcer, I would suggest Tara Strong or Grey DeLisle. They have proven to assume roles that are more tomboyish and outgoing. Take Timmy Turner, Ben Tennyson, Kimiko Tomohiko, and Samantha Manson for example.

Anyone else have specific announcers?

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Antioch said:
characters announcing their own names = win. ^____^
I think something like this but instead, you just here something that they are known for. I mean, have you ever heard link even say his own name? No. It's always like this. "I'm Talon, what is your name?" "Oh, Link, that's a nice name." lol

ciRius j0Qr

Smash Journeyman
San Juan, Puerto Rico {Estudio en RUM so M mepuede
Wizzlecroff said:
I think something like this but instead, you just here something that they are known for. I mean, have you ever heard link even say his own name? No. It's always like this. "I'm Talon, what is your name?" "Oh, Link, that's a nice name." lol
I remember that

Hahahahahahaha
Like i said some thing like soul calibur
link only said hiyaaa or hut or huaaa and thats it and it wasnt that bad
i suggest those that are able to say somthing say it those who arent dont

i mean look at yoshi

Zeraga

Smash Apprentice
All of the "no talking" characters could just go, "scraaah!" or "graaaaargh!" or "hyaa!" or whatever.

As for a female announcer, that could be a nice change.

And the crowd reactions for kills or big hits is a good idea. Just like in Melee when you grab a ledge after being blasted, the crowd is like, "OOOhhhh!" Or when they start chanting a character's name.
"Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy!"

Zeraga

Smash Apprentice
GameFreak said:
I think yall are putting just a little too much thought it to this... does it really matter?
Good point.
Nintendo will do what they want to do, regardless of what we think.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Pshsh. Then how would we spend our free time? Hanging out with friends? I think that the Professor from Brain Age would be cool.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
I want there to be multiple announcers, like in UT2004. A male voice, a female voice, a sexy female voice, and a voice that sounds like Sean Connery.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I doubt they'll do "super sexy" because they don't want to be sexist to girls and I doubt they want provocative voices coming out of the TV as parents watch their child play the game

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
i miss the rediculous announcer from ssb64 like when u get a new record in board the platforms or break the targets he says it REALLY enthusiaticaly ----A New Record!! OMG

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
It could be like Dead or Alive and have the characters from the game itself to play announcer. but this could get complicated by seeing the affect it'll cause online.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
quoteth the "too much thought" section

i have posted a couple times, but i cannot belive how many ppl have responded. maybe ity is a bigger topic than we thought

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
MeleeMan said:
That's what I was thinking, all of the characters make some kind of noise. When choosing them they can just use that if they don't speak. Or, hell, they could actually make them SPEAK. I think it would be sweet to hear Link say something, Ganondorf too.
Well.....

Smash 64 did that...

DJ Xero

Smash Cadet
I say they should have it as they did in UT 2k4 and make the announcer either or, depending on the mode you selected.

Fletch

Smash Master
I think the announcer in Melee needs to be kept, as he definitely made the game what it is.

Super Smash Bros. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I don't know if it will sound as good saying "Brawl" though.

Stinkoman

Smash Apprentice
Well it depends. If you still watch Pokemon, which Pokedex voice did you like better. The guy voice from Kanto/Orange Island/Johto, or Hoen? The main reason I stopped watching pokemon was because of the girl Pokedex, it didn't appeal to me. But I thought Pokemon was getting a little boring and repetitive anyway.

I SAY GUY!

EXE

Smash Cadet
fletch71011 said:
I think the announcer in Melee needs to be kept, as he definitely made the game what it is.

Super Smash Bros. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I don't know if it will sound as good saying "Brawl" though.
Hm... Let's see:

Super Smash Bros. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWL!!!!

Top Bottom